Dishonor will not trouble me, once I am dead. -- Euripides

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-Order

SubjectAuthor
* Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-OrderZobovor
`* Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-OrderZobovor
 `* Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-OrderZobovor
  `* Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-OrderCodigo Postal
   `* Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-OrderZobovor
    `- Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-OrderCodigo Postal

1
Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-Order

<1cbdcde1-a1ab-4d74-8bb0-682dc8dbe33an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4507&group=alt.toys.transformers#4507

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 16:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-Order
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:50 UTC

The second wave of Transformers Ultimates from Super7 was announced a while ago (Tracks, G1 Megatron, dino mode Grimlock, Bludgeon) but now we've got some pictures, plus you can pre-order them ahead of the 2022 release date:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/172522

Tracks looks great. He's as good a character as any for them to do. I was assuming he was going to be styled after his Action Master form, mostly because of the precedent set by Bombshell, but actually he's based on his G1 cartoon design. He comes with his Attack of the Evil Alien Robots mask from "Hoist Goes Hollywood," his cartoon handgun, a tiny little Blaster in boombox mode, some extra hands, and a tiny tank and Super Soaker that I assume are based on the weapons the Action Master came with.

So, we've gotten a few collectible version of Megatron already, and a lot of them tend to include the same types of character-specific accessories. Him coming with the gun he used in The Transformers: the Movie to kill Optimus Prime is nothing new, nor is the lightsaber or the energon mace. The control helmet from "A Prime Problem" was already done on the Masterpiece toy, but it's a nice touch. He also comes with Kremzeek, which is like the third official one we've gotten. The replacement head with energon dribbling out of his mouth is new, though, so you can add the half-finished energon cube and reenact the scene from "Microbots" when all the Decepticons got drunk. He's also got the flask he threw in "The Return of Optimus Prime" part 1, and a replacement chest so he can expel anti-matter energon cubes as per "Roll for It."

I would have preferred robot-mode Grimlock over dinosaur mode Grimlock. He's got some of the same stuff we've seen beforeā€”a Wheelie figure to sit on his back (Studio Series), an apron and drinks tray (Masterpiece), and an intelligence transfer helmet (Super Collection Figure), but he's also got some replacement hands (well, claws) and a cute little fishy, so he can fish with the Dinobots like he did in "Grimlock's New Brain." The styling is very cartoon accurate, even moreso than SCF, which added a lot of toy-based details to the sculpt.

Bludgeon is probably the one I'm the most excited about. Even though he was a Pretender, functionally he was an Action Master since he basically never transformed in the media. So an action figure of the character is perfect. He's got the gun that the G1 toy came with, and the green tank turret shield, but he's also got two swords and scabbards, since this was what he was equipped with in the comics. There's a replacement head with an open skull mouth and nasty eyes, and also a neck stump with wires hanging out, which I imagine is meant to be Bludgeon after Megatron ripped his head off in TRANSFORMERS: GENERATION 2 issue #5. And with this toy being seven (?) inches tall, he'll scale nicely with most neo-G1 toys from Hasbro.

These will ship in the second quarter of 2022. Funny how this year is barely half over and yet I'm already ordering toys well into next year...

Zob (can't wait to see what wave three looks like)

Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-Order

<b37d420b-70c7-4968-8ca7-125d8ad16bf1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6357&group=alt.toys.transformers#6357

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 15:50:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 22:50 UTC

On Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 5:50:37 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:

> These will ship in the second quarter of 2022.

Due to production delays, the estimated ship date has been changed to November 2022. Which is honestly fine by me. Gives me more time to find room for these guys.

Zob (What do we want? ALL THE TOYS! Where will we put them? WE HAVE NO IDEA!)

Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-Order

<daa5a916-f2a6-4ac0-a909-9bb9a99f129an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7035&group=alt.toys.transformers#7035

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 16:03:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 23:03 UTC

On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 4:50:27 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:

> Due to production delays, the estimated ship date has been changed to November 2022.

Due to additional production delays, now they're saying February 2023. Way to keep moving those goalposts, Super7!

Zob (at this point, I'll die of old age before I get to actually hold these in my hands)

Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-Order

<130d6e13-3666-42e7-b252-e47fe85917ecn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7049&group=alt.toys.transformers#7049

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 06:08:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 13:08 UTC

On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 7:03:23 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 4:50:27 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
>
> > Due to production delays, the estimated ship date has been changed to November 2022.
> Due to additional production delays, now they're saying February 2023. Way to keep moving those goalposts, Super7!
>

> Zob (at this point, I'll die of old age before I get to actually hold these in my hands)

How's the quality on the Super7 figures you have so far? I'm interested, but I feel a bit burned by the R.E.D. line, which seems soft and far less robust than their WfC equivalents. Do these feel more premium than WfC, equivalent to R.E.D., or somewhere in between? Thanks.

Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-Order

<c3c4147b-906c-4c9c-a436-8b35a7ecb5fan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7055&group=alt.toys.transformers#7055

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 21:04:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 04:04 UTC

On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 7:08:35 AM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:

> How's the quality on the Super7 figures you have so far? I'm interested, but I feel a bit burned by the R.E.D. line, which seems soft and far less robust than their WfC equivalents. Do these feel more premium than WfC, equivalent to R.E.D., or somewhere in between? Thanks.

The high points of the Super7 Ultimates are that they're large, they don't skimp on paint operations, and they're mostly hard ABS plastic instead of feeling soft and rubbery (though some parts like Prime's head are indeed PVC).

The downside is that I don't think the sculpts are as good as they could have been. The proportions on both Prime and Starscream feel slightly off in a way I cannot quite quantify. I think Hasbro knows their own characters better, and employees like Evan Brooks will see a sculpt of Prime and probably notice things like how his chest windows seem too wide or his mask is too round or something like that. I don't think Super7 has the same checks and balances in place. But, that's a wild guess on my part and I could be totally off the mark.

The R.E.D. version of Prime looks more like cartoon Prime than the Super7 figure does. Also, the Super7 figures are so big, they can really only be part of their own collection. They don't scale with anything else you may own. I guess Banzai-Tron might look good on a shelf of neo-G1 figures, because who knows how big he was before he became an Action Master (a process which made everybody the same size, so Bumblebee could see eye-to-eye with Devastator).

Zob (and now there's a Star Trek Ultimates line, but it's very difficult for me to imagine paying $55 a pop, even if I'm only buying the main characters)

Re: Super7 Transformers Ultimates Wave 2: Images and Pre-Order

<b3697e5c-9e90-43f1-85f5-1b69644057f4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7067&group=alt.toys.transformers#7067

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 10:47:47 -0800 (PST)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:47 UTC

On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 12:04:13 AM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 7:08:35 AM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:
>
> > How's the quality on the Super7 figures you have so far? I'm interested, but I feel a bit burned by the R.E.D. line, which seems soft and far less robust than their WfC equivalents. Do these feel more premium than WfC, equivalent to R.E.D., or somewhere in between? Thanks.
> The high points of the Super7 Ultimates are that they're large, they don't skimp on paint operations, and they're mostly hard ABS plastic instead of feeling soft and rubbery (though some parts like Prime's head are indeed PVC).
>
> The downside is that I don't think the sculpts are as good as they could have been. The proportions on both Prime and Starscream feel slightly off in a way I cannot quite quantify. I think Hasbro knows their own characters better, and employees like Evan Brooks will see a sculpt of Prime and probably notice things like how his chest windows seem too wide or his mask is too round or something like that. I don't think Super7 has the same checks and balances in place. But, that's a wild guess on my part and I could be totally off the mark.
>
> The R.E.D. version of Prime looks more like cartoon Prime than the Super7 figure does. Also, the Super7 figures are so big, they can really only be part of their own collection. They don't scale with anything else you may own. I guess Banzai-Tron might look good on a shelf of neo-G1 figures, because who knows how big he was before he became an Action Master (a process which made everybody the same size, so Bumblebee could see eye-to-eye with Devastator).
>

> Zob (and now there's a Star Trek Ultimates line, but it's very difficult for me to imagine paying $55 a pop, even if I'm only buying the main characters)

Thanks! Glad to hear the plastic quality is good; I might take the plunge if there are any decent sales to be had this holiday season. I was super interested in Bludgeon, but with a Legacy version on the way, I'm less certain that I need him in my life.