From: dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Dave's TF Legacy Rant: Core Shockwave
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 05:32:57 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 05:32 UTC

Dave's Transformers Legacy Rant: Core Class Wave 2

Shockwave (Cybertronian spacecraft)
G2 Universe Megatron (Kingdom Core Megatron redeco)
Optimus Prime (Kingdom repackage, not reviewed)

Local stores are still glutted with wave 1, and I am doubting that I'll
ever see wave 2 in stores (or even wave 3, at this rate). I'm willing to
wait and see Megatron before deciding if I want another G2 redeco of tank
Megatron, but I decided to order Shockwave from Pulse before it sold out and
I had to choose whether to go scalper or miss out.

https://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/Gen/CoreK2 - Megatron mold

CAPSULES

$10-12 price point.

Shockwave:

G2 Universe Megatron: Original mold was Recommended. If you wanted a G2
deco tank Megatron but didn't want to pay over $30 for the Generations
Selects one, this is a decent option.

RANTS

Packaging: Same as wave 1, but now the QR code is on the instructions.

DECEPTICON: SHOCKWAVE
Assortment: F3009
Altmode: Cybertronian Spacecraft
Transformation Difficulty: 11 steps
Previous Name Use: Yes
Previous Mold Use: None
Function: Operations Commander
Special Unit: None
Origin Universe: G1 (sort of, anyway)
Signature Weapon: Energon Shield - Infused with Energon for impenetrable
durability and can deflect any ranged or melee attack.

STR 9 INT 10 SPD 7 FRB 9

Devoid of all emotion, Shockwave feels that a scientific appeoach to
leadership is the logical choice.

Yes, they talk about his feelings right after saying he has none. And
while he's claimed to be G1, it's more of a neo-G1 in which he's not allowed
to turn into a gun anymore.
He almost has his G1 stats, but they took away one point of Strength.

Packaging: One plastic tie across the upper body, one across the shins,
and his "energon shield" dish is held to the back of the inner tray by one
tie.

Robot Mode: They definitely went for a simplified color scheme here,
other than the magenta on his weapon, it's all very dark purple and silver.
His eye is such a pale yellow that I mistook it for silver initially. The
online techspec page animates a blue spark running through the groove on his
chest, I wonder why they went with that instead of purple or magenta.
3.5" (9cm) tall and almost entirely dark purple and silver. All of the
plastic is dark purple. The thighs are dipped in silver paint, with silver
also on the chest, the ears, the toes, panels on both sides of each boot, gun
barrels and winglets on the backpack, and much of the dish part of the
Energon Shield. The inner face of the dish is painted magenta, the robot
not-face is gunmetal and the single optic is pale yellow (with a strong UV
response, so maybe it's meant to be more obvious under sunlight). There's
silver outline Decepticon symbols on the shoulder fronts.
The neck turns, the waist does not (although it has a transformation
hinge that you have to be careful not to bend by accident). The shoulders
are ball and socket joints on the end of shrugging struts, the elbows, hips,
and knees are also ball and socket joints. There's a transformation hinge
inside each knee socket so that the knees can bend double. The wings of the
backpack are hinged and can fold out to make a jetpack in this mode.
The right hand can hold a 3mm post, and there's 3mm sockets on the outer
faces of both shoulders. There's hinge holes on the outer faces of the knees
that are just a tiny bit under 3mm, you can force a 3mm peg in but it's not a
happy fit. The end of the left hand cannon barrel is a 3mm stud, and there's
a 3mm stud on top of each of the backpack barrels. There's several tabs on
the arms that are for vehicle mode connections.
The weapon is really awkward and looks like he's using a parabolic
microphone to spy on people. The dish part is just under an inch (about
23mm) across. It has a pointy bit in front in the dish, which isn't a 3mm
stud but can hold some Fire Blasts okay. The back end has a 3mm stud, oddly
(probably to be...a thruster thing in vehicle mode?). There's a 3mm peg grip
at the back, and a 3mm socket on the back face of the chunk that holds the
dish. I suppose it can be plugged onto the cannon hand. There really isn't
a non-awkward place for it, though, it really needed to have a top of
shoulder mount. Unfolding the backpack to store it on its vehicle mode
socket I guess makes it part of the jetpack?

Transformation: The backpack lifts up and the head folds into the chest,
although it may require a bit of the ol' Excessive Force. The arms need to
be lifted up and over the head, which I found needed a little bit of dancing
around the steps...lift the backpack a little, lift the arms, finish raising
the backpack and pushing in the head, finish raising the arms and folding out
the backpack's wings. Tabs on the forearms and biceps go into slots on the
backpack. It's a bit tricky getting the boots folded around to form the
front end of the spaceship, slots on the sides of the boot bottoms need to go
under a tab on the butt, using a hinge in the pelvis to let that happen.

Altmode: So, this is clearly inspired by the Siege spaceship mode, with
a Space Battleship Yamato sort of bridge tower and some molded weapons here
and there in addition to the main guns on the wings. In fact, it's quite
close to the full vehicle mode with "brute" pieces attached, although some
details are tweaked here and there. What makes it stand out as not just a
shrunken copy is the huge radar dish (Energon Shield) behind the bridge tower
that's either one heck of a communications dish or some sort of Death Star
style weapon. Okay, that and the arms just sort of hanging out the back.
4" (10cm) long if you politely ignore the arms in back, 4.5" (11.5cm) if
you don't, with a wingspan of 3.25" (8.5cm). Overwhelmingly dark purple with
some silver accents and the big magenta dish front. Not really any paint
that wasn't visible in robot mode, although the backpack is now wings and a
bit more prominent, and the silver details on the boot sides are now on the
top and bottom of the "hammerhead" and look like missile tubes meant for
off-axis firing.
There's molded studs on the main gun in front, but they're too short to
actually connect to anything, and really could've used a bit of paint to
stand out. The gun barrels on the winglets in back end in 3mm studs, and in
its official position the "Energon Shield" has its 3mm stud in back. The
robot hand and arm cannon stick out in back, but that's not very useful for
attaching thrusters. The 3mm sockets in the shoulders are blocked, and the
newly revealed one on the inner face of the backpack is meant for the radar
dish. There's a piece that folds down with a 5mm peg on the end, so that he
can be held as a weapon in this mode, a nod to how the Combiner Wars
Shockwave could be a hand cannon.

Overall: A nice miniature version of Siege Shockwave without the extra
arms and goblin glider.

G2 Megatron review will go here if I get one.

Dave Van Domelen, trying to finish off some year-delayed miniatures or
he'd probably add some paint to Shockwave before posting this review.

Re: Dave's TF Legacy Rant: Core Shockwave

<tk7hcb$pta$1@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7063&group=alt.toys.transformers#7063

From: dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: Dave's TF Legacy Rant: Core Shockwave
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 05:40:27 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 05:40 UTC

Yeesh, second time in a row I forgot to write the Capsule before
posting.

Shockwave: A nice size-reduced Siege Shockwave with a few twists of its
own and a somewhat awkward weapon. Recommended.