Only through hard work and perseverance can one truly suffer.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: RIP Danny Bulanadi

SubjectAuthor
* RIP Danny BulanadiCodigo Postal
`- Re: RIP Danny BulanadiJoseph Bardsley

1
RIP Danny Bulanadi

<5a90eac1-1bb8-4c27-b300-1aa44b07d7e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7066&group=alt.toys.transformers#7066

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 10:46:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RIP Danny Bulanadi
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:46 UTC

His name was always familiar to me from the Season 3 end credits, just read that he passed away recently.

https://www.newsfromme.com/2022/11/04/danny-bulanadi-r-i-p/

"Sorry to hear of the passing of Danny Bulanadi, a fine comic book illustrator who was born in 1946 in Manila, Philippines. He broke into the field as many did — as an assistant for Tony deZuñiga working for all the top-selling "komiks" in the Philippines until he relocated to the U.S. in 1975. DC and Marvel put him to work, primarily as an inker but I employed him as a penciler and inker for some foreign Tarzan comics I edited around the time he got here and I was very happy to let him do the entire job. His work was quite good and it was always on time.

In 1988, he moved to Southern California and worked a lot as a storyboard and designer, primarily for Hanna-Barbera (and especially on Jonny Quest) and for Marvel Productions (especially on The Transformers) and a great many videogames. He did just about everything a comic book artist can do and even dabbled in painting nature and old west scenes. The industry could use more people who are that versatile and that dependable."

https://www.cbr.com/danny-bulanadi-marvel-inker-obituary/

"Danny Bulanadi, longtime Marvel comic book inker who had years-long runs on both Captain America and Fantastic Four (part of his long association with penciler Paul Ryan), has passed away at the age of 76.

Bulanadi was born in Manila, Philippines, in 1946. He grew up copying American comic books that his mother would buy him. After attending college in the Philippines, where he studied art, he went to work for the legendary Filipino artist, Tony DeZuniga. Bulanadi recalled on his personal website, "When I was working for GMS Komiks, I met Tony, talked to him and found out he was looking for an assistant. I applied for it and was accepted. He adopted me, I lived with him, and he taught me what he knew." Bulanadi then got involved heavily in the comic book scene in the Philippines. Eventually, his friend (and fellow Filipino artist), Romeo Tanghal, introduced him to DC editor, Joe Orlando, who was at the forefront of the movement to work with Filipino artists in the United States. Bulanadi spent the late 1970s doing a number of assignments for DC.

In the late 1970s, Bulanadi also designed the Canadian superheroes Captain Canada and Captain Newfoundland, for a comic strip by writer Scott Stirling in the Newfoundland Herald.

In 1980, he moved to Marvel, where he became the regular inker on the Micronauts comic book series, working with Pat Broderick, Gil Kane, and Jackson "Butch" Guice. When the iconic artist David Mazzucchelli first broke in at Marvel in the pages of Daredevil #206, Bulanadi was his initial inker (Bulanadi had joined the book with the previous penciler, William Johnson, with Daredevil #198). Bulanadi continued inking Mazzucchelli until Daredevil #213, at which point Mazzucchelli took over inking himself.

Bulanadi moved over to the Further Adventures of Indiana Jones, where he found himself moving from an up-and-coming comic book legend to a classic legend, inking Spider-Man co-creator, Steve Ditko, on the series, until that series ended a year later. Bulanadi spent the next year working on various titles for Marvel (including a brief return stint on Daredevil, after Mazzucchelli had left the series). A major change in his career occurred in 1987 when he took over as the inker on the New Universe title, D.P. 7, by writer Mark Gruenwald and penciler Paul Ryan. This would be the start of a long association with both creators for Bulanadi. He would finish off that series, and when it was canceled in 1989, he launched Quasar with Gruenwald and Ryan.

In 1988, Bulanadi also finished out the Blue Beetle series for DC, and inked both Transformers and G.I. Joe: Special Missions for Marvel. At the same time, Bulanadi also did some animation work, storyboarding the third season of the Transformers cartoon (making him one of the rare artists to ever work on both the Transformers cartoon AND the Transformers comic book).

At the same time he was launching Quasar, Bulanadi also started inking Kieron Dwyer on Captain America, written by Gruenwald, staring with Captain America #359. Bulanadi would remain on the series until Gruenwald left the book with Captain America #443. Bulanadi worked with pencilers Dwyer, Ron Lim, Rik Levins and Dave Hoover in that time frame.

After John Byrne left Avengers West Coast, Ryan and Bulanadi moved over from Quasar to take over that title. The pair then got the chance to take over Fantastic Four with writer Tom DeFalco in Fantastic Four #356. That creative team remained on the title until January 1996's Fantastic Four #411 (the series would end a few issues later, as part of the Heroes Reborn project (where Marvel farmed out four of their main superhero titles to Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld's studios).

This was a downturn in the mainstream comic book industry, and veteran artists were having a hard time finding work. Paul Ryan was able to move to DC to take over Superman: Man of Tomorrow, but that series already had an inker in place, so Bulanadi was not able to follow, thus breaking up the Ryan/Bulanadi team that had been going on for nearly a decade by this point. The late Ryan (who sadly passed away back in 2016) once said about Bulanadi, "Danny was like my American Express Card...I never left home without him. That's why we worked on so many titles together. DP7, Quasar, Avengers West Coast and Fantastic Four."

In recent years, Bulanadi had done a lot of Bible comic book stories. He was also an excellent singer, as well. Here he is singing under the name Danny Harana..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T46E5Ec_3b8

Re: RIP Danny Bulanadi

<a5d70073-1421-47b9-af23-48c51bf8df77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7069&group=alt.toys.transformers#7069

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 20:16:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: RIP Danny Bulanadi
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 04:16 UTC

On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 10:46:20 AM UTC-8, Codigo Postal wrote:
> [...]
>
> This was a downturn in the mainstream comic book industry, and veteran artists were having a hard time finding work. Paul Ryan was able to move to DC to take over Superman: Man of Tomorrow, but that series already had an inker in place, so Bulanadi was not able to follow, thus breaking up the Ryan/Bulanadi team that had been going on for nearly a decade by this point. The late Ryan (who sadly passed away back in 2016) once said about Bulanadi, "Danny was like my American Express Card...I never left home without him. That's why we worked on so many titles together. DP7, Quasar, Avengers West Coast and Fantastic Four."
>
> In recent years, Bulanadi had done a lot of Bible comic book stories. He was also an excellent singer, as well. Here he is singing under the name Danny Harana..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T46E5Ec_3b8

Sad news, indeed - but quite an impressive and versatile career, nonetheless.

Thanks a lot for posting this, Codigo.

JB