From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "To Arkon! (Perry Rhodan #30)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by Wendayne
Ackerman
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:37:40 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 00:37 UTC

"To Arkon! (Perry Rhodan #30)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by Wendayne
Ackerman
https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Perry-Rhodan-30/dp/4041660130/

Book number thirty of a series of one hundred and twenty-six space opera
books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets, number
in the thousands. The English books started with two translated German
stories per book and transitioned to one story per book with the sixth
book. The German books were written from 1961 to present time, having
sold two billion copies and even recently been rebooted again. I read
the well printed and well bound book published by Ace in 1973 that I had
to be very careful with due to age. I bought an almost complete box of
Perry Rhodans a decade or two ago on ebay that I am finally getting to
since I lost my original Perry Rhodans in The Great Flood of 1989. In
fact, I now own book #1 to book #103, plus the Atlan books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

BTW, this is actually book number 38 of the German Pamphlets. There is
a very good explanation of the plot in German on this website of all of
the PR books. There is automatic Google translation available for
English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, French, and Portuguese.
https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Vorsto%C3%9F_nach_Arkon

In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of
500. It has been over ten years since then and the New Power has
flourished with millions of people and many spaceships headquartered in
the Gobi desert, the city of Terrania.

Perry Rhodan uses his new Springer built space warship, a cylinder 2,500
foot long by 600 foot wide that he named the Ganymede, to fulfill his
long term promise to take Khrest and Thora back to the planet Arkon. It
has been thirteen long years since Khrest and Thora left Arkon,
searching for the planet of eternal life. But Arkon is not the place
that it once was. And somebody else is running Arkon.

One has to remember that this book was written in German in 1962 and
translated to English in 1973. Many items that came about in the 1970s
and beyond such as cell phones are not reflected in the book. However,
commercial aircraft commonly traveling at Mach 3 are not available to
the public as talked about in the book. Niels Bohr's saying "Prediction
is very difficult, especially about the future" comes to mind.

Two observations:
1. The publisher should have put two to four of the translated stories
in each book. Having two stories in the first five books worked out
well. Just having one story in the book is too short and would never
allow the translated books to catch up to the German originals.
2. Anyone liking Perry Rhodan and wanting a more up to date story should
read the totally awesome "Mutineer's Moon" Dahak series of three books
by David Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 5 out of 5 stars (3 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "To Arkon! (Perry Rhodan #30)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20220320a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70784&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70784

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "To Arkon! (Perry Rhodan #30)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 15:28:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 15:28 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "To Arkon! (Perry Rhodan #30)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by Wendayne
> Ackerman
> https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Perry-Rhodan-30/dp/4041660130/
>
> Book number thirty of a series of one hundred and twenty-six space opera
> books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets, number
> in the thousands. The English books started with two translated German
> stories per book and transitioned to one story per book with the sixth
> book. The German books were written from 1961 to present time, having
> sold two billion copies and even recently been rebooted again. I read
> the well printed and well bound book published by Ace in 1973 that I had
> to be very careful with due to age. I bought an almost complete box of
> Perry Rhodans a decade or two ago on ebay that I am finally getting to
> since I lost my original Perry Rhodans in The Great Flood of 1989. In
> fact, I now own book #1 to book #103, plus the Atlan books.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan
>
> BTW, this is actually book number 38 of the German Pamphlets. There is
> a very good explanation of the plot in German on this website of all of
> the PR books. There is automatic Google translation available for
> English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, French, and Portuguese.
> https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Vorsto%C3%9F_nach_Arkon
>
> In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
> astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
> first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
> nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
> interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
> aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of
> 500. It has been over ten years since then and the New Power has
> flourished with millions of people and many spaceships headquartered in
> the Gobi desert, the city of Terrania.
>
> Perry Rhodan uses his new Springer built space warship, a cylinder 2,500
> foot long by 600 foot wide that he named the Ganymede, to fulfill his
> long term promise to take Khrest and Thora back to the planet Arkon. It
> has been thirteen long years since Khrest and Thora left Arkon,
> searching for the planet of eternal life. But Arkon is not the place
> that it once was. And somebody else is running Arkon.

The galaxy's greatest grifter explains why he wants to take the stolen
Springer ship to Arkon instead of the previously purloined Stardust II:
"Because [Stardust II is] an Arkonide ship. If I pay a call
on Mr. Thompson, whom I've never seen before, I'm not going
to go wearing a suit that once belonged to him and say: 'I
know this is really your suit but because I took it from
somebody else and not from you, I'm going to keep it.' That
wouldn't be very diplomatic, would it?"

After Perry abdicates command of the Ganymede to appease Arkon, der Naat
Narvaal nudges the ship towards his home, the fifth planet in the Arkon
system.

https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Datei:PR0038Illu_1.jpg

The sequestered Arkon neighborhood on Naat is full of "funnel houses."

https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Datei:PR0038Illu_2.jpg

Arkonide administrator Sergh's funnel /palace/ contains dozens of floors
and rises to a height of 500 feet. Most of the action takes place in the
palatial funnel.
Gray Morrow's Ace cover actually pertains to the story. On the Ace
cover Perry punches a palace guard inside Sergh's funnel.

http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/images/5/5b/PRRRHDNTRK1973.jpg
The Moewig cover depicts a robot pair place Perry, Bull, and Tako's
unconscious forms into a shuttle to take them back to the Ganymede.

https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Vorsto%C3%9F_nach_Arkon

This story's unsatisfying because it ends up almost where it starts.
Outside considerations may have constrained Mahr, the author, to circle
around.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php