Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 09:19:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: MT VOID, 05/07/21 -- Vol. 39, No. 45, Whole Number 2170
From: evelynch...@gmail.com (eleeper@optonline.net)
 by: eleeper@optonline.ne - Sun, 9 May 2021 16:19 UTC

THE MT VOID
Mt. Holz Science Fiction Society
05/07/21 -- Vol. 39, No. 45, Whole Number 2170

Co-Editor: Mark Leeper, mleeper@optonline.net
Co-Editor: Evelyn Leeper, eleeper@optonline.net
Sending Address: evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com
All material is the opinion of the author and is copyrighted by the
author unless otherwise noted.
All comments sent or posted will be assumed authorized for
inclusion unless otherwise noted.

The latest issue is at <http://www.leepers.us/mtvoid/latest.htm>.
An index with links to the issues of the MT VOID since 1986 is at
<http://leepers.us/mtvoid/back_issues.htm>.

Topics:
Mini Reviews, Part 15 (BLACK BEAR, I'M THINKING OF ENDING
THINGS, SHE DIES TOMORROW) (film reviews
by Mark R. Leeper)
Request for Contact Information (request from
Guy H. Lillian III)
Mice on the March
This Week's Reading ("No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series)
(book comments by Evelyn C. Leeper)

TOPIC: Mini Reviews, Part 15 (film reviews by Mark R. Leeper)

Here is the fifteenth batch of mini-reviews, three films of the
fantastic and surreal.

BLACK BEAR: It is difficult to describe this film without revealing
too much. The problem is that the film is also slow, dull, and
soporific, making it difficult to stick with it long enough to get
anything out of it. (Not to be confused with BLACKBEAR.) Released
12/04/20; available on Amazon Prime, iTunes, and others. Rating: 0
(-4 to +4)

I'M THINKING OF ENDING THINGS: This is the latest Charlie Kaufman
film, and it is very much in the genre of his earlier films BEING
JOHN MALKOVICH; SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK; ADAPTATION; and ETERNAL
SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND--surreal, and often with an
unreliable narrator. The house looks like something out of IN COLD
BLOOD, and it carries a horror film vibe. It is also very
constrained in scope and could be easily adapted into a stage play,
especially with its claustrophobic art direction throughout.
Released 08/28/20; available on Netflix streaming. Rating: -2 (-4
to +4)

SHE DIES TOMORROW: The basic plot is that of a contagious meme
(examining the idea that a thought can be as contagious as a
pandemic), but it takes half the movie to get to the premise, and
the film is nearly as deadly as the message. This film was
released to drive-in theaters at a time when its competition is
knocked out by a virus, and will probably not be playing at more
competitive theaters. The idea has previously been used in
PONTYPOOL. (The film does use pieces of Mozart's "Requiem".)
Released 07/31/20; available on Amazon Prime, iTunes, and others,
and on DVD. Rating: -2 (-4 to +4)

[-mrl]

TOPIC: Request for Contact Information (request from Guy H. Lillian
III)

Guy H. Lillian III writes:

In hopes of reprinting some part of his terrific Ted Sturgeon issue
of LAN'S LANTERN (1991), I am searching for George "Lan"
Lascowski's survivors and for the contributors to that issue (#36).
Any assistance will be met with credits in the next edition of my
genzine, CHALLENGER, and my effusive gratitude. Also, any
directions towards published articles or anecdotes about Ted will
likewise be greatly appreciated--as will your own memories or
impressions of Sturgeon and/or his work. Help! [-ghliii]

TOPIC: Mice on the March

<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/29/australia-mice-
plague-animals/>

"Australia, right now, feels a little biblical. There was a
terrible drought, then the worst bush fires ever recorded. A flood
came next. Now it's the turn of the mice.

The scale of the mouse plague is hard to comprehend. In the
western districts of New South Wales (NSW), the country's most
populous state, millions of mice are now on the march. There are
also serious infestations in southern Queensland, Victoria and
South Australia."

TOPIC: This Week's Reading (book comments by Evelyn C. Leeper)

I have been listening to the audiobooks of the "No. 1 Ladies
Detective Agency" series and have decided that it jumped the shark
around book five (THE FULL CUPBOARD OF LIFE). That seems to be
when McCall Smith started writing more about how wonderful Botswana
is, how important cattle are, how living in villages is better than
living in towns, how the old Motswana ways were so much better than
the modern ways, and on and on about Mma Ramotswe's (or rather,
McCall Smith's) general philosophy of life. (Of course, it is the
"modern" ways that let Ma Ramotswe have a detective agency and let
her raise those two orphans rather than let the boy be buried alive
and his sister abandoned.) Each book seems to have less and less
detection; reviews imply there is really none at all in the latest
volumes. In addition, with book six, McCall Smith brings in Violet
Sepotho as a sort of distaff Moriarty or Fu Manchu, and her
persistence through more than half a dozen books was part of what
drove me away from the newer books of the series. Now I also hear
that the character of Mma Makutsi has also changed, and not for the
better.

These are problems with many series--the author hears what was
popular in book N, and decides to put more of it in book N+1. In
this case, people liked the Motswana asides, so McCall Smith added
more in each book. (I guess people also liked Mma Makutsi's "97%"
shtick, because it also seems to increase over the series.) But
while there are brief references in many Sherlock Holmes stories to
his dislike of inactivity, or in the Poirot novels to "the little
gray cells," they don't replace the plot.

Other irritations include the constant reference to "the younger
apprentice" without ever naming him. When people who work with him
say things like, "Call that younger apprentice in here," rather
than "Call Fan in here" (he is eventually named), it just sounds
weird. And the idea that some thug who is threatening
Mr. J. L. B. Matekoni will be intimidated by the matron of an
orphan farm berating him is very unlikely. Would some gangster
here be stopped by a teacher chastising him? (And can anyone
explain why he is "Mr. J. L. B. Matekoni" and not "Rra Matekoni"?)

So my bottom line is that I recommend the first four or five
novels, but am less enthusiastic about the series as it progresses.
Then again, it has been wildly popular considerably past my
recommended stopping point.
(Even without repetitive aspects, most series continue too long.
The consensus seems to be, for example, that one should read Isaac
Asimov's original "Foundation" trilogy and then stop.) [-ecl]

Mark Leeper
mleeper@optonline.net

What is eternity? You're on the checkout line at a
supermarket. There are seven people in front of you.
They are all old. They all have two carts and coupons
for every item. They are all paying by check. None
of them have ID. It's the checkout girl's first day
on the job. She doesn't speak any English. Take away
fifteen minutes from that, and you begin to get an
idea of what eternity is.
--Emo Philips

Re: MT VOID, 05/07/21 -- Vol. 39, No. 45, Whole Number 2170

<s7s3rv$8i3$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=727&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#727

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: MT VOID, 05/07/21 -- Vol. 39, No. 45, Whole Number 2170
Date: 16 May 2021 21:46:39 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 16 May 2021 21:46 UTC

eleeper@optonline.net <evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com> wrote:
>The scale of the mouse plague is hard to comprehend. In the
>western districts of New South Wales (NSW), the country's most
>populous state, millions of mice are now on the march. There are
>also serious infestations in southern Queensland, Victoria and
>South Australia."

If you think the plague of mice is bad, just imagine the plague
of cats that will come next.
--scott