Life is like an egg stain on your chin -- you can lick it, but it still won't go away.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell Not

SubjectAuthor
* Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell NotZobovor
+* Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell NotTravoltron
|`- Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell NotTravoltron
+- Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell NotIrrellius Spamticon
`* Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell NotGustavo Wombat
 `- Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell NotZobovor

1
Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell Not

<b961f4e3-2326-4b08-84e2-d62387006e88n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7079&group=alt.toys.transformers#7079

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 15:15:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell Not
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 23:15 UTC

This was unveiled a few days ago, but I'm lazy and don't report things in a timely manner:

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-holiday-optimus-prime

Interestingly, it's a new mold, not just a redeco of some other Prime we've gotten previously. (Well, mostly new. The trailer is recycled from Earthrise.) People are speculating that it might be a predeco for a G2 Combat Hero Prime, but who knows? The way his wheels end up on his back is similar to Motormaster, but people are saying they think he might use parts from Legacy Laser Prime as well.

It's... very silly. It's silly on the same level that all the Christmas colored Star Wars action figures are silly. And there are a LOT of those. I take my collecting very seriously, you know. It's the reason I can't abide Funko Pops, because they're goofy Barney Rubble versions of the characters. Show me the movie where C-3PO is colored green and red. You can't, because it was never made. "It is I, C-3PO! You probably didn't recognize me because of the red arm, and the other red arm, and the white face, and the green-and-white striped legs, and..."

I pre-ordered Optimus, then cancelled it, then pre-ordered it again. Urgh. I do not need to own this toy, but I'm fascinated by the mold and want to study it. (This is the reason why I own a Titans Return orange Astrotrain..) I really don't need a red-and-green C-3PO, either, but I have a huge shrine dedicated to him and R2-D2, and I don't own that one yet. Urgh. The #FOMO is strong today.

Also, Magnificus (aka Microman Perceptor in black) is up for pre-order with a January 2023 release date:

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-selects-deluxe-magnificus

I know Gustavo Wombat will probably order this one, if nothing else. I've been buying pretty much all the Transformers in pre-Transformer colors, because in my imagination they're all on a shelf and they look very pretty together (spoiler alert: they're actually all in boxes).

I would have to buy many, many more Detolf shelves to display the majority of my insane and unmanageable toy collection, and even then I would feel weird about silly toys like Robot Heroes, or My First Transformers, or anything Christmas colored. But I do want to put some neo-G1 toys out some day. The best of the best. Maybe not, like, every Starscream and Megatron and Bumblebee they've ever done, but one of each character that's a solid, good representation. And then groups will feel awkward and have random missing members, because we're getting a new Crankcase for example, but no Windsweeper or Ruckus as yet. Sad face.

Zob (Thwomp-walked the glass cabinet with the NECA Ninja Turtles figures into the other room to put a Christmas tree downstairs, and only a handful of them fell over... I don't think I've ever been so proud of an accidental accomplishment in my entire life)

Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell Not

<tket1l$1t1s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7080&group=alt.toys.transformers#7080

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 16:42:02 -0800
 by: Travoltron - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 00:42 UTC

This toy is totally stupid and unnecessary. Naturally, I preordered it.
I'm going to justify it as a Christmas decoration. I'll put it out on
display every December.

Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell Not

<f302db7e-7356-429c-8cf8-c0d8f4c0f762n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7083&group=alt.toys.transformers#7083

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 07:19:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 15:19 UTC

On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 5:15:18 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> This was unveiled a few days ago, but I'm lazy and don't report things in a timely manner:
>
> https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-holiday-optimus-prime
>
> Interestingly, it's a new mold, not just a redeco of some other Prime we've gotten previously. (Well, mostly new. The trailer is recycled from Earthrise.) People are speculating that it might be a predeco for a G2 Combat Hero Prime, but who knows? The way his wheels end up on his back is similar to Motormaster, but people are saying they think he might use parts from Legacy Laser Prime as well.
>
> It's... very silly. It's silly on the same level that all the Christmas colored Star Wars action figures are silly. And there are a LOT of those. I take my collecting very seriously, you know. It's the reason I can't abide Funko Pops, because they're goofy Barney Rubble versions of the characters. Show me the movie where C-3PO is colored green and red. You can't, because it was never made. "It is I, C-3PO! You probably didn't recognize me because of the red arm, and the other red arm, and the white face, and the green-and-white striped legs, and..."
>
> I pre-ordered Optimus, then cancelled it, then pre-ordered it again. Urgh.. I do not need to own this toy, but I'm fascinated by the mold and want to study it. (This is the reason why I own a Titans Return orange Astrotrain.) I really don't need a red-and-green C-3PO, either, but I have a huge shrine dedicated to him and R2-D2, and I don't own that one yet. Urgh. The #FOMO is strong today.
>
> Also, Magnificus (aka Microman Perceptor in black) is up for pre-order with a January 2023 release date:
>
> https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-selects-deluxe-magnificus
>
> I know Gustavo Wombat will probably order this one, if nothing else. I've been buying pretty much all the Transformers in pre-Transformer colors, because in my imagination they're all on a shelf and they look very pretty together (spoiler alert: they're actually all in boxes).
>
> I would have to buy many, many more Detolf shelves to display the majority of my insane and unmanageable toy collection, and even then I would feel weird about silly toys like Robot Heroes, or My First Transformers, or anything Christmas colored. But I do want to put some neo-G1 toys out some day. The best of the best. Maybe not, like, every Starscream and Megatron and Bumblebee they've ever done, but one of each character that's a solid, good representation. And then groups will feel awkward and have random missing members, because we're getting a new Crankcase for example, but no Windsweeper or Ruckus as yet. Sad face.
>

> Zob (Thwomp-walked the glass cabinet with the NECA Ninja Turtles figures into the other room to put a Christmas tree downstairs, and only a handful of them fell over... I don't think I've ever been so proud of an accidental accomplishment in my entire life)

There is wild speculation he could be a Massive Motormaster Retool, but I don't have Motormaster to compare.

Of all the holiday things I guess this is the most ambitious, over the all brown Clone trooper, the white and red protocol droid, or the hundreds of Gingerbread versions of numerous franchises Pop figures by Funko.

Magnificus look OK, I couldn't stomach the cartoon colors of Studio 86 Perceptor so I might get this one or just stay with TR

Also Starting Lineup is back....at $50 a figure, it's going to sit around a long time, of course so did/does the original Starting Lineup. I hope people don't buy at thse prices anyway.

Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell Not

<tkkk8e$j6t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7087&group=alt.toys.transformers#7087

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 04:49:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 04:49 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> This was unveiled a few days ago, but I'm lazy and don't report things in a timely manner:
>
> https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-holiday-optimus-prime
>
> Interestingly, it's a new mold, not just a redeco of some other Prime
> we've gotten previously. (Well, mostly new. The trailer is recycled
> from Earthrise.) People are speculating that it might be a predeco for a
> G2 Combat Hero Prime, but who knows? The way his wheels end up on his
> back is similar to Motormaster, but people are saying they think he might
> use parts from Legacy Laser Prime as well.

His candy cane truck schlong is certainly interesting.

I expect the mold will be used for something else, and then I might pick it
up.

I really wish it came in Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanza variations. I would
pick up one of each then. But, just Christmas? Eh, I don’t know.

> Also, Magnificus (aka Microman Perceptor in black) is up for pre-order
> with a January 2023 release date:
>
> https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-selects-deluxe-magnificus
>
> I know Gustavo Wombat will probably order this one, if nothing else.
> I've been buying pretty much all the Transformers in pre-Transformer
> colors, because in my imagination they're all on a shelf and they look
> very pretty together (spoiler alert: they're actually all in boxes).

He’s missing Ga’mede, and I honestly like the G1 Perceptor mold more than
the Studio Series. This looks good, and is a bit more posable, but there’s
still going to be the hole in his back.

I’ll have to see how Studio Series Perceptor works with Ga’mede. Get them
both out, check scale, interop, etc., before pulling the trigger. I’m
rapidly running out of space though. But I might play with Studio Series
and just decide it’s a fun toy, now that I’ve had my initial disappointment
with it and let that run its course.

Still, weird to have just Magnificus.

If they cobbled together a Ga’mede from GI Joe parts, I would be more
interested. (To get the slender physique and delicate face of Ga’mede, I
think it might be best to remold Lady Jaye with a flat chest, and go from
there… which I guess might make Gammy a trans man, but whatever). Assuming
that a GI Joe figure is the right scale for Magnificus’ cannon mode.

Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell Not

<f17ff7dc-57c1-45df-b942-34458da7e1c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7091&group=alt.toys.transformers#7091

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 20:18:48 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 04:18 UTC

On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 9:49:22 PM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> I expect the mold will be used for something else, and then I might pick it
> up.

Combat Hero Prime, perhaps with a different trailer component, seems like the obvious move.

> I’ll have to see how Studio Series Perceptor works with Ga’mede. Get them
> both out, check scale, interop, etc., before pulling the trigger.

The only thing I dislike is that the head sculpt doesn't seem Microman-ish enough. It's basically cartoon Perceptor cosplaying as somebody with a square-shaped mask.
> If they cobbled together a Ga’mede from GI Joe parts, I would be more
> interested.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the G.I. Joe toys to say for sure whether there are any existing parts that would be suitable for Ga'mede. Although, now that I get a good look at him, he reminds me a lot of the Crimson Guard Commanders. Maybe it's the colors.

Zob (is Ga'mede really the same size as the Energon Kicker figure? That's weird)

Re: Christmas Optimus Prime, Because Why The Hell Not

<tkudi5$p6h$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7099&group=alt.toys.transformers#7099

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 13:55:53 -0800
 by: Travoltron - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:55 UTC

Actually, after thinking about it more, I'd prefer this to be a separate
character. Christmas Convoy or something. Make him the Santa Claus of
the Transformers Universe.