Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 15:42:24 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Zob's Thoughts on the Beast Wars Cybershark Reissue
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 23:42 UTC

I haven't been actively seeking these toys out (I didn't get Wolfang, didn't get Terrorsaur, and I don't really have a use for another Retrax) but I've been getting a few of them when they go on clearance or whatnot. Cybershark was kicked off the shelf at Walmart during the last reset, and there was one with a ripped package that was just sort of floating around the store for the last month and a half or so. I finally took him home today.

Cybershark is one of the better Beast Wars toys from back in the day. There are some toys that were awesome (Jetstorm, Magnaboss) and some that had weird design issues (Polar Claw, B'Boom) but I've always liked Cybershark.

This release is generally less satisfying than the original 1997 toy. The springs are much, much weaker on the reissue. The tail claw sort of lethargically closes shut with no real urgency, and the missile launcher in the shark's skull doesn't work well. It only fires the cute little shark missiles a couple of feet, and the shark hammerhead projectile just drops pathetically out of the launcher. Two gimmicks and Hasbro managed to neuter them both.

All these many months later, my Walmart STILL has the Optimus Primal and T. rex Megatron on clearance for $40, because the Walmart home office is suddenly terrified of spending money. The toys will continue to languish on the shelves until they get stolen or until the packaging is so shopworn they end up being destroyed. (It's honestly ridiculous to have clearance toys AT ALL during the month of November. Now is the time customers should be picking up Christmas gifts for full price, not rummaging through junk that we should have marked down and sold through last April. But, I digress.)

But, Cybershark is a fun toy. He's designed well, and even though he's 25 years old, he fits right in with the other modern toys on my desk right now. And now I have to go lie down for a while, because I just realized Beast Wars was 25 years ago.