From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "OneWeb Has a Ride Into Space" by Silicon Graybeard
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:37:57 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:37 UTC

"OneWeb Has a Ride Into Space" by Silicon Graybeard
https://thesilicongraybeard.blogspot.com/2022/03/oneweb-has-ride-into-space.html

"Not even three weeks ago, March 4, we heard that Russia's Roscosmos had
halted launches for hire, stranding satellite Internet provider OneWeb
with a Soyuz load of satellites in Russia and no reliable way to launch
them."

"This morning, OneWeb announced a contract with SpaceX to launch their
satellites, stepping into the gap lefty by Roscosmos. Terms of the
contract haven't been released, but those probably aren't the details we
want. I may be speaking for myself, but I want to know how many
launches and where they're launching from. They say the first launch
will be this year, so it's all about how fast they can prepare a payload
of satellites and how fast SpaceX can respond."

"With one company lifting 65 to 70% of the world's payloads into orbit,
it's pretty safe to say that's the only company in the world that's
likely to have some spare capacity to dedicate to an emergency like this
one."

Amazing and scary. Truly amazing at the success and realization of the
dreams of several generations of space enthusiasts, scary because of the
one guy who is driving the company and several other companies.

Lynn