Seeing is believing. You wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't believed it.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The Hand and The witches

SubjectAuthor
* Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The HandDavid Brown
+* Re: Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, TheMichael F. Stemper
|`- Re: Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The Hand and The wPaul S Person
`- Re: Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The Hand and The wPaul S Person

1
Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The Hand and The witches

<11782129-350f-46d2-83cd-88625c95a262n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71077&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71077

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:06:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The Hand
and The witches
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 00:06 UTC

Decided on a catchup post here, I ended up doing a run of movies that were based on novels during the last month. Here's the lineup, going to try to get the links right.
The Neverending Story
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/fantasy-zone-one-with-luck-dragon.html
The Hand (directed by Oliver Stone!)
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/no-good-very-bad-movies-23-one-by.html
The Witches
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/featured-creature-rat-file-1-one-with.html

The Hand was of most interest to me from a literary perspective, as it uses the living-severed-hand trope common in horror and sometimes to be found in fantasy and sci fi. Has anyone else noticed this seems to come up as parody or isolated gags rather than a "straight" concept? And does anyone recall seeing this with aliens or robots rather than the undead? I could only think of a Terminator novel that mentioned some of the bots being able to put themselves back together again.
David N. Brown
Mesa Arizona

Re: Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The Hand and The witches

<t1khjk$lgr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71109&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71109

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The
Hand and The witches
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 08:54:42 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 13:54 UTC

On 24/03/2022 19.06, David Brown wrote:
> Decided on a catchup post here, I ended up doing a run of movies that were based on novels during the last month. Here's the lineup, going to try to get the links right.

> The Hand (directed by Oliver Stone!)
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/no-good-very-bad-movies-23-one-by.html

> The Hand was of most interest to me from a literary perspective, as it uses the living-severed-hand trope common in horror and sometimes to be found in fantasy and sci fi. Has anyone else noticed this seems to come up as parody or isolated gags rather than a "straight" concept?

Doesn't Harry Potter interact with one of these in a shop on
Knocturn Alley? Or was that only in the movie?

--
Michael F. Stemper
No animals were harmed in the composition of this message.

Re: Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The Hand and The witches

<acqr3htnfuv9h8um2506d0n626ldo0eend@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71132&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71132

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The Hand and The witches
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 09:11:57 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:11 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 08:54:42 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
<michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 24/03/2022 19.06, David Brown wrote:
>> Decided on a catchup post here, I ended up doing a run of movies that were based on novels during the last month. Here's the lineup, going to try to get the links right.
>
>> The Hand (directed by Oliver Stone!)
>> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/no-good-very-bad-movies-23-one-by.html
>
>> The Hand was of most interest to me from a literary perspective, as it uses the living-severed-hand trope common in horror and sometimes to be found in fantasy and sci fi. Has anyone else noticed this seems to come up as parody or isolated gags rather than a "straight" concept?
>
>Doesn't Harry Potter interact with one of these in a shop on
>Knocturn Alley? Or was that only in the movie?

Yes, he interacts with a Hand of Glory.

No, the hand does not (so far as we know) escape the shop and go
looking for its body.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: Movie reviews: 1980s novel adaptations Neverending Story, The Hand and The witches

<1fqr3hl8hc70qbh706qtak2thd6nr879sh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71133&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71133

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 09:13:47 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:13 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:06:31 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
<davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:

>Decided on a catchup post here, I ended up doing a run of movies that were based on novels during the last month. Here's the lineup, going to try to get the links right.
>The Neverending Story
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/fantasy-zone-one-with-luck-dragon.html
>The Hand (directed by Oliver Stone!)
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/no-good-very-bad-movies-23-one-by.html
>The Witches
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/featured-creature-rat-file-1-one-with.html
>
>The Hand was of most interest to me from a literary perspective, as it uses the living-severed-hand trope common in horror and sometimes to be found in fantasy and sci fi. Has anyone else noticed this seems to come up as parody or isolated gags rather than a "straight" concept? And does anyone recall seeing this with aliens or robots rather than the undead? I could only think of a Terminator novel that mentioned some of the bots being able to put themselves back together again.

The animatged film /The Iron Giant/ (which, IIRC, is based on the book
/The Iron Man/) features a robot with that property.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."