Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying. -- Baba Ram Dass

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Movie review: Bert I. Gordon mystery/ psychological horror film Picture Mommy Dead

SubjectAuthor
* Movie review: Bert I. Gordon mystery/ psychological horror filmDavid Brown
`* Re: Movie review: Bert I. Gordon mystery/ psychological horror filmRobert Carnegie
 `- Re: Movie review: Bert I. Gordon mystery/ psychological horror filmDavid Brown

1
Movie review: Bert I. Gordon mystery/ psychological horror film Picture Mommy Dead

<6661e2d0-f5a9-47ba-93fb-6cb992508a47n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71375&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71375

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:58:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Movie review: Bert I. Gordon mystery/ psychological horror film
Picture Mommy Dead
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 19:58 UTC

Here's one more thing a bit different, maybe off-topic, a review of a 1966 dramatic film by Bert I. Gordon, otherwise best known for "giant bug" movies and other sci fi/ fantasy films. As I state in the review, it was definitely an improvement over his "genre" films up to that point, and potentially innovative. One thing I didn't go into is that mystery or horror centered on a child was probably less unusual for printed fiction; the one that comes to mind is "Mr. George" by August Derleth. Anyone have their own recollections of Gordon's films?
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/no-good-very-bad-movies-24-one-by-mr.html

Re: Movie review: Bert I. Gordon mystery/ psychological horror film Picture Mommy Dead

<eb8e0ace-3672-4c99-8053-7c327420073an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71378&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71378

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:16:26 -0700 (PDT)
Picture Mommy Dead
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:16 UTC

On Wednesday, 30 March 2022 at 20:58:15 UTC+1, David Brown wrote:
> Here's one more thing a bit different, maybe off-topic, a review of a 1966 dramatic film by Bert I. Gordon, otherwise best known for "giant bug" movies and other sci fi/ fantasy films. As I state in the review, it was definitely an improvement over his "genre" films up to that point, and potentially innovative. One thing I didn't go into is that mystery or horror centered on a child was probably less unusual for printed fiction; the one that comes to mind is "Mr. George" by August Derleth. Anyone have their own recollections of Gordon's films?
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/no-good-very-bad-movies-24-one-by-mr.html

About the review text:

I provisionally verified that the film has two similar
titles, but you ought to choose one and stick to it,
or it looks like the confusion is your own.

It's unclear whether a painting that you mention
is related to having the word "Picture" in the title.
Did the painting fall on Mommy or something... like in
<https://www.agathachristie.com/en/stories/peril-at-end-house>

Also "several moths after her 17th birthday" probably
isn't what you meant to write. And the last paragraph gets
so confusing that perhaps you should re-write it, but as it
stands, I think also that "a dry hear" is not the intended
outcome.

About horror centered on a child: there was the
Sherlock Holmes case of "The Sussex Vampire"
(1924), in which a mother acts oddly and an infant
bleeds and sickens, draw your own conclusion...

Re: Movie review: Bert I. Gordon mystery/ psychological horror film Picture Mommy Dead

<f898f2c5-58af-46b9-9c31-a48dd388ea47n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71386&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71386

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 22:15:43 -0700 (PDT)
Picture Mommy Dead
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 05:15 UTC

On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 2:16:28 PM UTC-7, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 March 2022 at 20:58:15 UTC+1, David Brown wrote:
> > Here's one more thing a bit different, maybe off-topic, a review of a 1966 dramatic film by Bert I. Gordon, otherwise best known for "giant bug" movies and other sci fi/ fantasy films. As I state in the review, it was definitely an improvement over his "genre" films up to that point, and potentially innovative. One thing I didn't go into is that mystery or horror centered on a child was probably less unusual for printed fiction; the one that comes to mind is "Mr. George" by August Derleth. Anyone have their own recollections of Gordon's films?
> > https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/03/no-good-very-bad-movies-24-one-by-mr.html
> About the review text:
>
> I provisionally verified that the film has two similar
> titles, but you ought to choose one and stick to it,
> or it looks like the confusion is your own.
>
> It's unclear whether a painting that you mention
> is related to having the word "Picture" in the title.
> Did the painting fall on Mommy or something... like in
> <https://www.agathachristie.com/en/stories/peril-at-end-house>
>
> Also "several moths after her 17th birthday" probably
> isn't what you meant to write. And the last paragraph gets
> so confusing that perhaps you should re-write it, but as it
> stands, I think also that "a dry hear" is not the intended
> outcome.
>
> About horror centered on a child: there was the
> Sherlock Holmes case of "The Sussex Vampire"
> (1924), in which a mother acts oddly and an infant
> bleeds and sickens, draw your own conclusion...
Looked over the post again. The painting I mention is a portrait of the deceased mother that the girl destroys, it doesn't figure in the plot otherwise. I think your comments really go along with my opinion that the "alternate" title was the better one. Initially, I was prepared to use the alternate title throughout, but I decided not to go further. For the closing paragraph, I did miss a word or so I think I meant to go back and fill in, but nothing that really changed the progression of my thoughts. The one big typo was going to be an Aliens reference, to a line that didn't really make sense in the movie either. I fixed a couple things, not changed otherwise. Thanks for the steady feedback.
David N. Brown