Newsgroups: soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: A great book for W-I, "The Collected What If?" by Robert Cowley
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 08:27:27 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:27 UTC

Probably the best ever collection for What If fans.

"The Collected What If?" edited by Robert Cowley
The Collected What If? Eminent Historians Imagine What Might
Have Been Hardcover – June 1, 2006
by Stephen E. Ambrose (Author), Caleb Carr (Author), David McCullough
(Author), John Lukas (Author), John Keegan (Author), & 5 more

https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Eminent-Historians-Imagine-Might/dp/0399152385

What a bargain, looks like you can get the over 800 pages
delivered to your door for just $5.75!

Here is the description on goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/179217.The_Collected_What_If_Eminent_Historians_Imagine_What_Might_Have_Been

Here are two of the reviews:

Tom Darrow rated it really liked it
Actually two books in one. This is a collection of essays by many
well-known historians discussing the "what if's" of history. For
example, what if Jesus hadn't died on the cross or D-Day had failed?

Bad things about the book...
1) it's very long (over 800 pages). My copy is hardback, which makes it
even worse to carry around.
2) There are certain periods (especially WWII) that have many essays,
while other periods are skipped through very quickly.
3) the essays vary greatly in quality... most are easy to read, but
there are a few that are written in either too elementary of a style or
are too intellectual in their word choice.

Good things about this book...
1) there is a large variety in topics. Normally, I might not have chosen
to buy a book about the Reformation or dipliomatic history, but they are
all included here.
2) The essays run about 15-20 pages each, which is an ideal length to
read one before bed, or several in an afternoon.
3) Most of the essays are well written. They explain the concepts that
need to be explained for non-historians, but not in so much detail as to
lessen the naritive style. (less)

Keith Parrish
Jun 22, 2011Keith Parrish rated it it was amazing · review of another
edition
Great collection of essays by prominent historians that look at
alternative, or in the parlance of the historian counterfactual,
history. Some of it is scary, such as the prospect of Europe as
conquered by the Mongols (which was in fact more likely to have happened
than not), some of it amusing (such as when Robert E. Lee's army holds
fast on Cemetery Ridge outside Gettysburg following the victory at
Antietam. I've never before considered the Franco Prussian War to be the
single most important e ...more
flag1 like · Like · see review

Re: A great book for W-I, "The Collected What If?" by Robert Cowley

<tbphqc$261if$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7147&group=alt.history.what-if#7147

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 13:11:58 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:11 UTC

On 7/26/2022 8:27 AM, a425couple wrote:
> Probably the best ever collection for What If fans.
>
> "The Collected What If?" edited by Robert Cowley
> The Collected What If? Eminent Historians Imagine What Might
> Have Been   Hardcover – June 1, 2006
> by Stephen E. Ambrose (Author), Caleb Carr (Author), David McCullough
> (Author), John Lukas (Author), John Keegan (Author), & 5 more
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Eminent-Historians-Imagine-Might/dp/0399152385
>

> What a bargain, looks like you can get the over 800 pages
> delivered to your door for just $5.75!
>
> Here is the description on goodreads:
> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/179217.The_Collected_What_If_Eminent_Historians_Imagine_What_Might_Have_Been
>

> Here are two of the reviews:
>
> Tom Darrow rated it really liked it
> Actually two books in one. This is a collection of essays by many
> well-known historians discussing the "what if's" of history. For
> example, what if Jesus hadn't died on the cross or D-Day had failed?
>
> Bad things about the book...
> 1) it's very long (over 800 pages). My copy is hardback, which makes it
> even worse to carry around.
> 2) There are certain periods (especially WWII) that have many essays,
> while other periods are skipped through very quickly.
> 3) the essays vary greatly in quality... most are easy to read, but
> there are a few that are written in either too elementary of a style or
> are too intellectual in their word choice.
>
> Good things about this book...
> 1) there is a large variety in topics. Normally, I might not have chosen
> to buy a book about the Reformation or dipliomatic history, but they are
> all included here.
> 2) The essays run about 15-20 pages each, which is an ideal length to
> read one before bed, or several in an afternoon.
> 3) Most of the essays are well written. They explain the concepts that
> need to be explained for non-historians, but not in so much detail as to
> lessen the naritive style. (less)
>

> Keith Parrish
> Jun 22, 2011Keith Parrish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another
> edition
> Great collection of essays by prominent historians that look at
> alternative, or in the parlance of the historian counterfactual,
> history. Some of it is scary, such as the prospect of Europe as
> conquered by the Mongols (which was in fact more likely to have happened
> than not), some of it amusing (such as when Robert E. Lee's army holds
> fast on Cemetery Ridge outside Gettysburg following the victory at
> Antietam. I've never before considered the Franco Prussian War to be the
> single most important e ...more
> flag1 like · Like  · see review

Thanks. Put it on my wish list for "someday, when I have money".

dirty old man.

Re: A great book for W-I, "The Collected What If?" by Robert Cowley

<LydEK.548127$70j.366570@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7148&group=alt.history.what-if#7148

Newsgroups: soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:18:01 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:18 UTC

On 7/26/2022 1:11 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 7/26/2022 8:27 AM, a425couple wrote:
>> Probably the best ever collection for What If fans.
>>
>> "The Collected What If?" edited by Robert Cowley
>> The Collected What If? Eminent Historians Imagine What Might
>> Have Been   Hardcover – June 1, 2006
>> by Stephen E. Ambrose (Author), Caleb Carr (Author), David McCullough
>> (Author), John Lukas (Author), John Keegan (Author), & 5 more
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Eminent-Historians-Imagine-Might/dp/0399152385
>>
>> What a bargain, looks like you can get the over 800 pages
>> delivered to your door for just $5.75!
>>
>> Here is the description on goodreads:
>> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/179217.The_Collected_What_If_Eminent_Historians_Imagine_What_Might_Have_Been
>> ---
>> Tom Darrow rated it really liked it
>> Actually two books in one. This is a collection of essays by many
>> well-known historians discussing the "what if's" of history. For
>> example, what if Jesus hadn't died on the cross or D-Day had failed?
>>
>> Bad things about the book...
>> 1) it's very long (over 800 pages). My copy is hardback, which makes
>> it even worse to carry around.
>> 2) There are certain periods (especially WWII) that have many essays,
>> while other periods are skipped through very quickly.
>> 3) the essays vary greatly in quality... most are easy to read, but
>> there are a few that are written in either too elementary of a style
>> or are too intellectual in their word choice.
>>
>> Good things about this book...
>> 1) there is a large variety in topics. Normally, I might not have
>> chose ----- snip
>
> Thanks.  Put it on my wish list for "someday, when I have money".

Are you in the USA? or elsewhere?

Re: A great book for W-I, "The Collected What If?" by Robert Cowley

<tbs4im$2juqv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7150&group=alt.history.what-if#7150

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:44:22 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:44 UTC

On 7/27/2022 9:18 AM, a425couple wrote:
> On 7/26/2022 1:11 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 7/26/2022 8:27 AM, a425couple wrote:
>>> Probably the best ever collection for What If fans.
>>>
>>> "The Collected What If?" edited by Robert Cowley
>>> The Collected What If? Eminent Historians Imagine What Might
>>> Have Been   Hardcover – June 1, 2006
>>> by Stephen E. Ambrose (Author), Caleb Carr (Author), David McCullough
>>> (Author), John Lukas (Author), John Keegan (Author), & 5 more
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Eminent-Historians-Imagine-Might/dp/0399152385
>>>
>>> What a bargain, looks like you can get the over 800 pages
>>> delivered to your door for just $5.75!
>>>
>>> Here is the description on goodreads:
>>> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/179217.The_Collected_What_If_Eminent_Historians_Imagine_What_Might_Have_Been
>>> ---
>>> Tom Darrow rated it really liked it
>>> Actually two books in one. This is a collection of essays by many
>>> well-known historians discussing the "what if's" of history. For
>>> example, what if Jesus hadn't died on the cross or D-Day had failed?
>>>
>>> Bad things about the book...
>>> 1) it's very long (over 800 pages). My copy is hardback, which makes
>>> it even worse to carry around.
>>> 2) There are certain periods (especially WWII) that have many essays,
>>> while other periods are skipped through very quickly.
>>> 3) the essays vary greatly in quality... most are easy to read, but
>>> there are a few that are written in either too elementary of a style
>>> or are too intellectual in their word choice.
>>>
>>> Good things about this book...
>>> 1) there is a large variety in topics. Normally, I might not have
>>> chose ----- snip
>>
>> Thanks.  Put it on my wish list for "someday, when I have money".
>>
> Are you in the USA?  or elsewhere?

US. I'm just still digging myself out of financial depths from the
sub-prime mortgage destruction of the economy, pay off debt and deal
with deferred for many years expenses.

dirty old man.

Re: A great book for W-I, "The Collected What If?" by Robert Cowley

<AowEK.53797$Ae2.17294@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7151&group=alt.history.what-if#7151

Newsgroups: soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 06:44:00 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 13:44 UTC

On 7/27/2022 12:44 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 7/27/2022 9:18 AM, a425couple wrote:

>>> Thanks.  Put it on my wish list for "someday, when I have money".
>>>
>> Are you in the USA?  or elsewhere?
>>
> US.  I'm just still digging myself out of financial depths from the
> sub-prime mortgage destruction of the economy, pay off debt and deal
> with deferred for many years expenses.

Email me at the listed address,
a425couple@hotmail.com
with your mailing address and I will send you
a copy.
My best wishes to a fellow newsgroup user.