"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific." -- Jane Wagner

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

SubjectAuthor
* The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
||`- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDimensional Traveler
|+- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
|`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDavid Johnston
| +- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDavid Johnston
| +- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| +* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkPaul S Person
| |+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkMagewolf
| ||+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
| ||`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDimensional Traveler
| || `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
| ||  +- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDimensional Traveler
| ||  `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkQuadibloc
| ||   `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
| |+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkMichael F. Stemper
| ||`- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDimensional Traveler
| |`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDavid Johnston
| | `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkPaul S Person
| |  `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
| |   `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkPaul S Person
| |    `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
| `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
|  `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDavid Johnston
+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkQuadibloc
|`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkQuadibloc
| `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkLynn McGuire
`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkRoss Presser
 +- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkMichael F. Stemper
 `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan

Pages:12
Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<2973e7ae-3a0c-4cbf-8854-3c13bbd6dd0cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71346&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71346

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 18:14:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The Maretian, a review with snark
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 01:14 UTC

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 3:55:20 PM UTC-6, Wolffan wrote:

> That said... the biggest baddest brony (and a ‘friend’) there ever was is
> shown here:

><https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.372098658.7694/mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u7.jpg>
> Warning, once seen, cannot be unseen.

There's a pony. And a bromance. But nothing to do with bronys or My Little Pony.

And nothing to be feared on the order of goatse either.

John Savard

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<0001HW.27F48ED60259E65670000463138F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71352&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71352

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 09:12:54 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 13:12 UTC

On 29 Mar 2022, Quadibloc wrote
(in article<2973e7ae-3a0c-4cbf-8854-3c13bbd6dd0cn@googlegroups.com>):

> On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 3:55:20 PM UTC-6, Wolffan wrote:
>
> > That said... the biggest baddest brony (and a ‘friend’) there ever was
> > is
> > shown here:
>
> > <https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.372098658.7694/mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u
> > 7.jpg>
>
> > Warning, once seen, cannot be unseen.
>
> There's a pony. And a bromance. But nothing to do with bronys or My Little
> Pony.
>
> And nothing to be feared on the order of goatse either.
>
> John Savard

I posted that just to see if Terry would bite.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<0001HW.27F49DEA025D6F1970000463138F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71354&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71354

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:17:14 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:17 UTC

On 29 Mar 2022, Ross Presser wrote
(in article<c01e4f00-3320-4dbf-b63c-1def35bd4cfan@googlegroups.com>):

> On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 1:52:21 PM UTC-4, Wolffan wrote:
> > No, that’s not a typo.
> >
> > The Maretian is...
> >
> > 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on
> > Mars.
> > As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
> >
> > 2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
> > sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
> > very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and
> > ended
> > up on Mars. Their spacecraft’s drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
> > are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded
> > on
> > Mars.
> >
> > 3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it’s My Little Pony
> > fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
> > dragon is male.
>
> Somehow I got entirely through this posting and most of the comments
> before the penny dropped. "The MARE-tian" indeed.

Especially as there are _three_ mares present. Four if you count the
changeling, who would probably be insulted at being lumped in with ponies.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t224dk$q53$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71366&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71366

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:35:46 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 17:35 UTC

On 2022-03-29 10:02 a.m., Paul S Person wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:31:37 -0600, David Johnston
> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-03-28 11:57 a.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
>>> :-)
>>
>> You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
>> haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
>> sanity.
>
> I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as I have
> for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there is /no/
> chance of seeing any of them.
>
> I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy them.
> For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find other
> interests.

While that describes other MLP series, MLP Friendship is Magic was
something rather different. In fact one of its problems was that it had
too much appeal to older viewers than its supposed target audience.

>> And I'm not kidding.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t2259n$180l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71368&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71368

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:50:45 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 17:50 UTC

On 2022-03-29 3:58 p.m., Wolffan wrote:
> On 28 Mar 2022, David Johnston wrote
> (in article <t1t5vc$8hq$1@gioia.aioe.org>):
>
>> On 2022-03-28 11:57 a.m., Ted Nolan<tednolan> wrote:

>>> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
>>
>> You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
>> haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
>> sanity.
>
> Twilight Glimmer does NOT have ‘fragile sanity’. She DOES have a very
> short fuse, and lots of magic. It’s a good idea to be a county or two away
> when she loses it.

Twilight Sparkle and yes she did. And she isn't the only one. There
was a startling number of ponies going obsessively unhinged on that
series. They would turn into shivering wrecks, develop split
personalities and delusional fixations.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<1ljb4h18q1dqor0igg5oi3397ovva74mvb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71393&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71393

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:00:47 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 16:00 UTC

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:35:46 -0600, David Johnston
<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 2022-03-29 10:02 a.m., Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:31:37 -0600, David Johnston
>> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
>>> haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
>>> sanity.
>>
>> I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as I have
>> for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there is /no/
>> chance of seeing any of them.
>>
>> I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy them.
>> For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find other
>> interests.
>
>While that describes other MLP series, MLP Friendship is Magic was
>something rather different. In fact one of its problems was that it had
>too much appeal to older viewers than its supposed target audience.

I'll take your word for it. I am including the Barbie films, the
Tinkerbelle films, the Monster High films, and the RR Engine films,
plus perhaps a few more. Some of the movies I do watch, apparently,
are thought to attract a certain audience and the trailers are aimed
at them. What can I say except "marketing".

The trailers are generally characterized by animation that looks OK,
if not as detailed as usual, and dialog consisting of Meaningful (to
teenie-tinies) Phrases spoken clearly and slowly to be sure they can
undertand them. I presume the films are more of the same.

To be fair, some of the plots claimed to be in the films might be
interesting, if done on an older level.

--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<XnsAE6B67DA3A88Ctaustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71396&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71396

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 10:12:32 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 17:12 UTC

Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote in

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:35:46 -0600, David Johnston
> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2022-03-29 10:02 a.m., Paul S Person wrote:

>>> I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just
>>> as I have for other similar offerings but, trust me on this,
>>> there is /no/ chance of seeing any of them.
>>>
>>> I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience,
>>> enjoy them. For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and
>>> find other interests.
>>
>>While that describes other MLP series, MLP Friendship is Magic
>>was something rather different. In fact one of its problems was
>>that it had too much appeal to older viewers than its supposed
>>target audience.
>
> I'll take your word for it. I am including the Barbie films, the
> Tinkerbelle films, the Monster High films, and the RR Engine
> films, plus perhaps a few more. Some of the movies I do watch,
> apparently, are thought to attract a certain audience and the
> trailers are aimed at them. What can I say except "marketing".
>
> The trailers are generally characterized by animation that looks
> OK, if not as detailed as usual, and dialog consisting of
> Meaningful (to teenie-tinies) Phrases spoken clearly and slowly
> to be sure they can undertand them. I presume the films are more
> of the same.
>
> To be fair, some of the plots claimed to be in the films might
> be interesting, if done on an older level.

If you take a look at the stories told, you'll also find that they
are simpler and more straight forward, as a rule. They're aimed at
an audience that has a shorter attention span and less interest in
complicated, twisty stories with a lot of nuance. Where bad things
happen, they're generally not terribly realistically bad, as well.
In short, aimed at children.

The ones that appeal to adults generally appeal to adults with . .
.. immature tastes, i.e., they like children's stories.

It's a pretty big market these days.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<bm6e4hd3vkr86hb9fe46klusmqeenomeel@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71438&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71438

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 08:47:16 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:47 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 10:12:32 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

>Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:35:46 -0600, David Johnston
>> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>While that describes other MLP series, MLP Friendship is Magic
>>>was something rather different. In fact one of its problems was
>>>that it had too much appeal to older viewers than its supposed
>>>target audience.
>>
>> I'll take your word for it. I am including the Barbie films, the
>> Tinkerbelle films, the Monster High films, and the RR Engine
>> films, plus perhaps a few more. Some of the movies I do watch,
>> apparently, are thought to attract a certain audience and the
>> trailers are aimed at them. What can I say except "marketing".
>>
>> The trailers are generally characterized by animation that looks
>> OK, if not as detailed as usual, and dialog consisting of
>> Meaningful (to teenie-tinies) Phrases spoken clearly and slowly
>> to be sure they can undertand them. I presume the films are more
>> of the same.
>>
>> To be fair, some of the plots claimed to be in the films might
>> be interesting, if done on an older level.
>
>If you take a look at the stories told, you'll also find that they
>are simpler and more straight forward, as a rule. They're aimed at
>an audience that has a shorter attention span and less interest in
>complicated, twisty stories with a lot of nuance. Where bad things
>happen, they're generally not terribly realistically bad, as well.
>In short, aimed at children.

Small children. Watching these gives them, I suppose, the background
needed to appreciate the more complicated stories to come.

In the "making of" for /Hoodwinked/, one of the filmmakers reported
that, when they told the story to their focus group (small children,
that is, the target audience) most of them figured out who the villain
was, but some were on a Journey and amazed when the truth was
revealed.

When I saw the first Harry Potter film, a told a local Potter fan (who
was pressing me on it, being a fan of Harry Potter) that I had /not/
suspected Snape because he was too obvious and "I have been around the
block a few times". Some things don't work as well when you have
enough experience -- but work perfectly well if you do not.

>The ones that appeal to adults generally appeal to adults with . .
>. immature tastes, i.e., they like children's stories.

If you say so. Myself, I like animation as such. That a lot of
animation is for kids only means that I often find the film to be
"perfectly fine for the kids". I generally avoid live-action kiddie
films because they are not animated and so I have no interest in them.

One of the reason I like animated films for younger viewers is because
they usually /have/ a story and tell it. Unlike some films intended
for adults, particularly art-house or low-end productions. Many of
which, I suspect, are unrated (and so treated as "NR"), not merely
because the filmmakers couldn't come up with the fee (there's always a
fee), but because they knew darn well it would be rated "PG" if not
"G" and /that/ would not get them an audience.

>It's a pretty big market these days.

Theoretically, animated films that appeal to both adults (usually by
referencing things the kids are not aware of) and kids are excellent
as "family entertainment", since everyone in the family enjoys
watching them, if for different reasons. Well, that's the theory,
anyway.

And, occasionally, you actually get a /really/ good movie. This is
rare at any level -- but good films are where you find them.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<XnsAE6C5BE0AA2E5taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71441&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71441

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 09:01:54 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 16:01 UTC

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 10:12:32 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
> Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote in

>>> I'll take your word for it. I am including the Barbie films,
>>> the Tinkerbelle films, the Monster High films, and the RR
>>> Engine films, plus perhaps a few more. Some of the movies I do
>>> watch, apparently, are thought to attract a certain audience
>>> and the trailers are aimed at them. What can I say except
>>> "marketing".
>>>
>>> The trailers are generally characterized by animation that
>>> looks OK, if not as detailed as usual, and dialog consisting
>>> of Meaningful (to teenie-tinies) Phrases spoken clearly and
>>> slowly to be sure they can undertand them. I presume the films
>>> are more of the same.
>>>
>>> To be fair, some of the plots claimed to be in the films might
>>> be interesting, if done on an older level.
>>
>>If you take a look at the stories told, you'll also find that
>>they are simpler and more straight forward, as a rule. They're
>>aimed at an audience that has a shorter attention span and less
>>interest in complicated, twisty stories with a lot of nuance.
>>Where bad things happen, they're generally not terribly
>>realistically bad, as well. In short, aimed at children.
>
> Small children. Watching these gives them, I suppose, the
> background needed to appreciate the more complicated stories to
> come.

There are a lot of "small children" who are, biologically, adults.
Some of them quite old.

It has been a strong parenting trend in recent decades to raise
children to be helpless dependents.