From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Kup Tales: Mushrooms
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 09:36:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 09:36 UTC

Kup and Arcee were already at the stream when Hot Rod drove up with Daniel.
Hot Rod opened his canopy, and Daniel hopped out and rushed over to see
Kup.

The old Autobot looked up from a small patch of mushrooms, greeted Daniel,
and turned back to the mushrooms and explained that he would finish the
story later.

“You’re telling stories to mushrooms?” Daniel asked, somewhat concerned.
Kup had taken a blow to the head during the last battle with the
Decepticons, and he had been told to watch for anything odd that might be a
sign of malfunction, but with Kup that was difficult.

“They’re good listeners,” Kup said and then smiled.

Daniel giggled slightly, relieved that the ancient Autobot had been joking
with him.

“Where’s your pole?” Kup asked, tilting his head at his own fishing rod.

“I can’t today,” Daniel said. “I have to finish a book for school.”

“What book? Maybe I could just tell you what happens?” Kup offered.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Daniel said.

“Kup, do you remember what happened when you helped Daniel with his
biology?” Arcee asked, causing Daniel to quickly say “Hi Arcee,” before Kup
talked over him.

“The boy learned things about the Tasmanian Devil that no one in his class
knew, and his teacher was so impressed that she called Daniel’s parents,”
Kup said, proudly.

What had actually happened was that Kup explained that Tasmanian Devils are
marsupials, who give live birth to a litter of twenty babies, but have only
four nipples. The babies then have to fight for the nipples, despite being
weird little nubby things with underdeveloped limbs, lungs, lymphatic
systems, brains, organs… underdeveloped everything except their claws,
which they used to tear apart their siblings as they struggled to get to
the nipples. Daniel’s entire class had nightmares for weeks.

Kup had followed that up by explaining the Ukrainian proverb “the less you
know, the better you sleep.”

There was a general consensus that it was better when Kup simply made
things up.

“I’ve read nearly every book published on Earth, and even a lot of the ones
that haven’t been published yet,” Kup said, trying to sweeten the offer.

“It’s ‘The Time Machine’ by H. G. Wells,” Daniel said.

“Daniel,” Arcee warned, “don’t let Kup do your work for you.”

“It’s fine,” Kup said. “I only got about halfway through that one. It was
just so inaccurate, I felt dumber the longer I read it.”

“It’s fiction,” Daniel said.

“Oh,” Kup replied. “I guess that explains all the inaccuracies. But even
fiction should get the setting right. The Morlocks and the Eloi never
happened.”

“Those are in the future,” Daniel explained.

“Your future is always someone else’s history,” Kup countered. “I’ve been
to the future, and it wasn’t like that at all.”

“You’ve been to the future?” Daniel asked, with a mixture of excitement,
doubt and concern.

“Yes,” Kup said, somewhat offended that Daniel didn’t seem to believe him.
“Given the number of times the Arielbots have been to the past, and
Decepticons have been in King Arthur’s Court, doesn’t it seem likely that
someone would have traveled from the future? How do you think I got so old,
lad? That’s from living through the future and then coming back.”

“I just figured you were built a long time ago,” Daniel said.

“Kup and I were created on the same day,” Hot Rod said. “We were protoforms
together and there was a litter of twenty of us, and only four Energon
nozzles…”

“Don’t listen to him,” Kup said, “he’s just teasing you. Protoforms weren’t
a thing yet… in fact, they still aren’t.”

“Does that mean there are two of you now?” Arcee asked.

“At least two,” Kup said. “He’s on the other side of the galaxy right now,
in a prison for corrupting the youthful prince of Manginoor. When I was
him, I was eventually broken out of jail by an older version of myself,
which I guess is going to be me in a few years.”

“So, you know everything that’s going to happen?” Hot Rod asked.

“Not really, lad,” Kup answered. “I was on the other side of the galaxy the
first time through, so most of this is new to me.”

“How hard did you get hit in the head?” Daniel asked.

“Pretty hard, lad, pretty hard,” Kup said. “Nearly made a Headmaster out of
me.”

“A what?” Hot Rod asked.

“A school teacher?” Daniel asked.

“I think a headmaster is more of a principal, Daniel,” Arcee said. “But I
still don’t understand it.”

“Oh, right,” Kup said, “that’s an expression from Nebulos, where the
principals are notoriously dumb. If you ever go there, you’ll understand.

“I think I get it,” Daniel said.

Kup laughed a somewhat unsettling laugh. “Anyway, no Morlocks and Eloi in
the future, and eventually there’s not really any real class struggle.”

“The communists win?” Daniel asked, setting the book down.

“Not exactly,” Kup said. “Eventually, there is a plague. Or a war. Maybe it
was a war with biological weapons. Every plant and animal is killed. Fungi
are still there. I think the Protozoa survive, but I’m not sure about the
Chromista.

“The weird thing is, the fungi miss the people, plants and animals, so they
start forming into the shapes of what was missing. A building might be half
demolished, and the fungi would slowly grow to fill the hole.

“The fungi recreated whole ecosystems, as best they could remember. Forests
with deer with a hundred eyes on their antlers, snakes that slithered
across the forest floor while being a part of the forest floor, and
colonies of fungi in the shape of the heads on Easter Island. An
uncountable majesty of things recreated as well as fungi could remember,
which wasn’t always exactly right, but who knows what a fungi finds
important?

“Except where there was once a planet of near infinite diversity, now
everything was fundamentally the same, just with different shapes and
colors.

“There were factories, with workers being exploited, but they were just the
appearance of factories and the shape of workers being exploited. The
workers, their tools and the factory were all one.

“The fungi had discovered nostalgia.”

Daniel stared blankly at Kup for a moment. “That’s not going to help me
with my book report.”

“Kids,” Kup said, slightly exasperated. “They are so transactional.
Everything has to have immediate value.”

Daniel looked at the book, and then looked at the bag with his snacks. He
reached for the book, hesitated, and went for the brown bag, and began
unwrapping his sandwich.

“Eww,” the boy said. “I got my dad’s sandwich by mistake.”

“Can’t you just eat that?” Arcee asked.

“I’m supposed to get a PB&J and his has mushrooms on it and I hate
mushrooms.”

“Mushrooms like you,” Kup said, unhelpfully.

“Your father eats a PB&J with mushrooms?” Arcee asked, incredulously.

“Yeah, it’s weird.”

“Can’t you just pick them off?” Kup asked. “We can put them with their
friends over here.” Kup gestured to the mushrooms he was talking to
earlier.

“I guess,” Daniel said, opening the sandwich, and peeling slices of
mushroom from the peanut butter and jelly.

Daniel humored Kup, by gathering all the mushroom slices and nestling them
with the mushrooms under the tree, where they rot and slowly be consumed by
the living mushrooms.

Kup smiled. It was a good day by the stream. They didn’t do a lot of
fishing that day, but it was nice. He looked into Daniel’s eyes, and for a
moment he could see the spark of life that animated humans, but just for a
moment.

The boy’s eyes were mushrooms, as was the rest of him. And the tree, and
the grass, and Hot Rod and Arcee and Autobot City off in the distance.

And Kup although Kup wasn’t quite sure that the mushrooms were sentient,
they certainly mimicked sentient beings well enough that he was sure he
hadn’t been lying — the mushrooms really did like Daniel.

Daniel had returned mushrooms to the mycelium, along with bits of peanut
butter and jelly. And that moment was somehow important enough to the fungi
that they recreated it day after day.

Kup tried to get up, but remembered that his mushroom legs couldn’t support
his body, even if his body was mostly mushroom by now. He was old, so very
old, and his body had been collapsing for ages.

Kup would be gone soon, and wondered if the mushrooms liked him too. He
hoped so.

——

No, I have no idea what prompted this.

Re: Kup Tales: Mushrooms

<95659400-1727-428e-8b81-728b5485e3e7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7148&group=alt.toys.transformers#7148

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 12:28:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Kup Tales: Mushrooms
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 20:28 UTC

On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 2:36:03 AM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> No, I have no idea what prompted this.

Delightfully abstract and surreal ending. Loved it.

Zob (happy turkey day!)

Re: Kup Tales: Mushrooms

<4594f1f9-9282-49c8-a277-fe4a69c74097n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7168&group=alt.toys.transformers#7168

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 13:28:45 -0800 (PST)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 21:28 UTC

Click here to read the complete article