If God wanted us to be brave, why did he give us legs? -- Marvin Kitman

arts / alt.fan.heinlein / Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universe

SubjectAuthor
* If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universea425couple
+- Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek UniverseLynn McGuire
`* Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek UniverseTitus G
 +- Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek UniverseNinapenda Jibini
 `- Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universea425couple

1
If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universe

<oA5kL.15182$iU59.8959@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=711&group=alt.fan.heinlein#711

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universe
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 11:12:19 -0800
 by: a425couple - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 19:12 UTC

see https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjRyxL4WYAA53dn?format=jpg&name=small

Meanwhile, has anyone else read,
"Redshirts", by John Scalzi ?

https://www.amazon.com/Redshirts-Novel-Three-John-Scalzi/dp/1491514388

Redshirts (novel) - Wikipedia
Redshirts is a space adventure by science fiction writer
John Scalzi that capitalizes on tropes from Star Trek and
similar television series.
Publication date: June 5, 2012

Redshirts by John Scalzi - Goodreads
In John Scalzi's The Redshirts, the newest ensigns aboard
the Union Capital Flagship, the Intrepid, recognize they
are expendable. Not only that, they realize ...
Rating: 3.9 · ‎98,310 votes

Redshirts
by John Scalzi (Author),

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal
Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union
since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, and Andrew is
even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship’s xenobiology
laboratory, with the chance to serve on “Away Missions”
alongside the starship’s famous senior officers. Life couldn’t
be better . . . until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every
Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with
alien forces, (2) the ship’s captain, its chief science officer,
and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these
confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member
(always one in a RedShirt!)
is invariably killed. Unsurprisingly, the savvier members
below decks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew
stumbles on information that completely transforms his and
his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid
really is . . . and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to
save their own lives.

Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universe

<tmqrpe$kks2$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=712&group=alt.fan.heinlein#712

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universe
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 14:07:10 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 20:07 UTC

On 12/7/2022 1:12 PM, a425couple wrote:
> see https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjRyxL4WYAA53dn?format=jpg&name=small
>
> Meanwhile, has anyone else read,
> "Redshirts", by John Scalzi ?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Redshirts-Novel-Three-John-Scalzi/dp/1491514388
>
> Redshirts (novel) - Wikipedia
> Redshirts is a space adventure by science fiction writer
> John Scalzi that capitalizes on tropes from Star Trek and
> similar television series.
> Publication date: June 5, 2012
>

> Redshirts by John Scalzi - Goodreads
> In John Scalzi's The Redshirts, the newest ensigns aboard
> the Union Capital Flagship, the Intrepid, recognize they
> are expendable. Not only that, they realize ...
>  Rating: 3.9 · ‎98,310 votes
>
> Redshirts
> by John Scalzi  (Author),
>
> Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal
> Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union
> since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, and Andrew is
> even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship’s xenobiology
> laboratory, with the chance to serve on “Away Missions”
> alongside the starship’s famous senior officers. Life couldn’t
> be better . . . until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every
> Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with
> alien forces, (2) the ship’s captain, its chief science officer,
> and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these
> confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member
> (always one in a RedShirt!)
> is invariably killed. Unsurprisingly, the savvier members
> below decks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew
> stumbles on information that completely transforms his and
> his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid
> really is . . . and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to
> save their own lives.

I am fairly sure that Starfleet has Sovereign Immunity.

Lynn

Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universe

<tmrl7i$puec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=713&group=alt.fan.heinlein#713

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 16:21:22 +1300
 by: Titus G - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 03:21 UTC

On 8/12/22 08:12, a425couple wrote:
> see https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjRyxL4WYAA53dn?format=jpg&name=small
>
> Meanwhile, has anyone else read,
> "Redshirts", by John Scalzi ?

Yes. About a decade ago. The first three quarters were brilliant but the
codas were slow, soppy and boring.

> https://www.amazon.com/Redshirts-Novel-Three-John-Scalzi/dp/1491514388
>
> Redshirts (novel) - Wikipedia
> Redshirts is a space adventure by science fiction writer
> John Scalzi that capitalizes on tropes from Star Trek and
> similar television series.
> Publication date: June 5, 2012
>

> Redshirts by John Scalzi - Goodreads
> In John Scalzi's The Redshirts, the newest ensigns aboard
> the Union Capital Flagship, the Intrepid, recognize they
> are expendable. Not only that, they realize ...
>  Rating: 3.9 · ‎98,310 votes
>
> Redshirts
> by John Scalzi  (Author),
>
> Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal
> Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union
> since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, and Andrew is
> even more thrilled to be assigned to the ship’s xenobiology
> laboratory, with the chance to serve on “Away Missions”
> alongside the starship’s famous senior officers. Life couldn’t
> be better . . . until Andrew begins to realize that (1) every
> Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with
> alien forces, (2) the ship’s captain, its chief science officer,
> and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these
> confrontations, and (3) sadly, at least one low-ranked crew member
> (always one in a RedShirt!)
> is invariably killed. Unsurprisingly, the savvier members
> below decks avoid Away Missions at all costs. Then Andrew
> stumbles on information that completely transforms his and
> his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid
> really is . . . and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to
> save their own lives.

Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universe

<XnsAF66C5E0FCC20taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=714&group=alt.fan.heinlein#714

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 03:27:10 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 03:27 UTC

Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in

> On 8/12/22 08:12, a425couple wrote:
>> see
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjRyxL4WYAA53dn?format=jpg&name=smal
>>
>> Meanwhile, has anyone else read,
>> "Redshirts", by John Scalzi ?
>
> Yes. About a decade ago. The first three quarters were brilliant
> but the codas were slow, soppy and boring.

He has a certain skill at the craft, but his books would be much
better if he were as clever as he believes he is.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: If Attorneys were in the Star Trek Universe

<IFnkL.30780$iS99.8420@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=715&group=alt.fan.heinlein#715

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 07:46:48 -0800
 by: a425couple - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:46 UTC

On 12/7/22 19:21, Titus G wrote:
> On 8/12/22 08:12, a425couple wrote:
>> see https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjRyxL4WYAA53dn?format=jpg&name=small
>>
>> Meanwhile, has anyone else read,
>> "Redshirts", by John Scalzi ?
>
> Yes. About a decade ago. The first three quarters were brilliant but the
> codas were slow, soppy and boring.

Interesting. I also faded out at about
the 3/4 area.