I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Yellowing Legacy epedemic

SubjectAuthor
* Yellowing Legacy epedemicIrrellius Spamticon
`* Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicZobovor
 `* Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicGustavo Wombat
  +* Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicZobovor
  |`* Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicJoseph Bardsley
  | `* Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicCodigo Postal
  |  `* Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicZobovor
  |   `* Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicCodigo Postal
  |    `* Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicZobovor
  |     `- Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicCodigo Postal
  `- Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemicIrrellius Spamticon

1
Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<345f4f8c-389b-4db7-927d-15bc9e7507fan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7151&group=alt.toys.transformers#7151

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 12:51:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Yellowing Legacy epedemic
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 20:51 UTC

So a ton of new toys are having yellowing issues right out of box.

I noticed and saw my Jihaxus's thighs and codpiece area are turning a whitish green, which honestly doesn't look too bad.Others have said SG Soundwave i yellowing 2 days out of the box.

I also noticed on my Cyberverse Arcee, and my Animated Shockwave. That's getting in to older generations, but all of these toys were stored out of the light and under temperature control.

On a positive note, if you put a filthy garage sale Robot Hero in the dishwasher he'll come out all noodly and rubbery but an hour in the fridge will restore him.

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<12fd4560-f95d-4f6f-9ee4-2ebe746f3d1bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7153&group=alt.toys.transformers#7153

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:20:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 00:20 UTC

On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 1:51:52 PM UTC-7, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> So a ton of new toys are having yellowing issues right out of box.

Word on the street is that there is a flame-retardant chemical added to the plastic, and it's causing the trouble. Evidently it's not being mixed in properly, or something like that. Hasbro is now aware of the issue and they're taking steps to correct it, but that doesn't fix all the toys that have been produced up to this point.

Toys that have been reported to be significantly affected include Legacy Motormaster, Shattered Glass Starscream, Siege Megatron, Kingdom Cyclonus, Kingdom Maximal Grimlock, and Cyberverse Arcee. I've got some Star Wars toys that have yellowed as well.

It's disappointing, and kind of awful, and a company that's been making toys for 99 years really should know better. (That's right, 2023 will be the 100th anniversary of Hasbro. Expect them to celebrate with even worse distribution and even higher prices! Woooo!)

Zob (every toy turns yellow, and every toy is a retool of Combiner Wars Silverbolt)

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<tlpul7$1j2g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7154&group=alt.toys.transformers#7154

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 08:33:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 08:33 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 1:51:52 PM UTC-7, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
>> So a ton of new toys are having yellowing issues right out of box.
>
> Word on the street is that there is a flame-retardant chemical added to
> the plastic, and it's causing the trouble. Evidently it's not being
> mixed in properly, or something like that. Hasbro is now aware of the
> issue and they're taking steps to correct it, but that doesn't fix all
> the toys that have been produced up to this point.

Why do I suspect that this will be like GPS where every year they have a
fix for it and then a short time later the toys are still affected?

This is why I prefer my toys to be flammable, if not actually literally on
fire.

> Toys that have been reported to be significantly affected include Legacy
> Motormaster, Shattered Glass Starscream, Siege Megatron, Kingdom
> Cyclonus, Kingdom Maximal Grimlock, and Cyberverse Arcee. I've got some
> Star Wars toys that have yellowed as well.

It’s a lot more than that. I’ve even seen it on my Earthrise G2 Ramjet,
where the small cyan piece that joints the wing now has a golden sheen. (I
think my Siege Megatron is fine… but I have so many different ones from
Netflix to cartoon cel to original… I have no idea.)

This also needs a catchy name, like The Great Yellowing… but catchy.

> It's disappointing, and kind of awful, and a company that's been making
> toys for 99 years really should know better. (That's right, 2023 will be
> the 100th anniversary of Hasbro. Expect them to celebrate with even
> worse distribution and even higher prices! Woooo!)

Toys don’t last forever, and it was a sad day when some of my earlier BW
toys began to break from age brittled plastics, but they lasted for many
years before that happened. Even GPS victims lasted for a few years.

This is months, and sometimes right out of the box. It’s a whole new level
of poor quality.

> Zob (every toy turns yellow, and every toy is a retool of Combiner Wars Silverbolt)

One of the things that makes me hesitate on the Christmas Optimus is all
the white plastic.

The other thing is that apparently they haven’t kept any part of the Siege
Optimus leg. I’ve been enjoying the leg carrying through to different
Optimus toys, remolded here and there.

Also, lots of toys are Siege Sideswipe.

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<4e9bce39-e90d-4acf-b3ed-ee6cf56de338n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7155&group=alt.toys.transformers#7155

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 08:45:43 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 16:45 UTC

On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 1:33:47 AM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Why do I suspect that this will be like GPS where every year they have a
> fix for it and then a short time later the toys are still affected?

The problem is, it's not every single toy. Some make it out unscathed, and others are awful. But, there's no way to know which type you own until it actually happens to you.
> It’s a lot more than that. I’ve even seen it on my Earthrise G2 Ramjet,
> where the small cyan piece that joints the wing now has a golden sheen.

I was just rattling off some names off the top of my head. I don't think anybody's put together an all-inclusive list. And now I want to check my G2 Ramjet, but I'm also terrified to do so. Right now, at least he's Schrodinger's jet.

> Toys don’t last forever, and it was a sad day when some of my earlier BW
> toys began to break from age brittled plastics, but they lasted for many
> years before that happened. Even GPS victims lasted for a few years.

Oh, for sure. I remember playing with G2 Slingshot frequently when I first got him. Now, he's more glue than plastic.

And, yes, toys don't last forever, but there are a great many vintage collectibles that have endured to this day. It's not like a half-finished box of Wheat Thins where you just wait until the expiration date and then throw it out. People still have their vintage Star Wars toys, and those didn't all crumble into a heap of plastic shards. Those were from the 1970's, so older even than Transformers. If I'm an adult collector, and I take reasonably good care of my toys, I should expect them to endure. I'm storing toys in a temperature-controlled environment, out of direct sunlight, and yet they're still deteriorating. That's ridiculous.

> This is months, and sometimes right out of the box. It’s a whole new level
> of poor quality.

Which is a shame, because we're at a point where the sculpts and the designs are at the pinnacle of excellence. I wouldn't care if, say, my Solra Strom Grappel started changing color, but I love my Earthrise Grapple and I don't ever want anything to happen to him.

> One of the things that makes me hesitate on the Christmas Optimus is all
> the white plastic.

On the Shattered Glass Starscream toy (think Jetfire colors), it's only the connective tissue that seems to yellow. The load-bearing joints. Not the rest of the white ABS plastic. So, I don't think Christmas Optimus is necessarily destined to look like a taxi cab. But, it's hard to say. (I *think* Hasbro found out about this long enough ago that any toys they're producing right now should not have this issue. Then again, Motormaster was pretty recent, so...)

Zob (has a G1 Jazz that's yellowing slightly, but he's also nearly 40 years old)

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<74c60405-2055-4077-9ea6-f279325257d6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7165&group=alt.toys.transformers#7165

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:44:47 -0800 (PST)
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 02:44 UTC

On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-8, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 1:33:47 AM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
> > Why do I suspect that this will be like GPS where every year they have a
> > fix for it and then a short time later the toys are still affected?
> The problem is, it's not every single toy. Some make it out unscathed, and others are awful. But, there's no way to know which type you own until it actually happens to you.
> > It’s a lot more than that. I’ve even seen it on my Earthrise G2 Ramjet,
> > where the small cyan piece that joints the wing now has a golden sheen.
> I was just rattling off some names off the top of my head. I don't think anybody's put together an all-inclusive list. And now I want to check my G2 Ramjet, but I'm also terrified to do so. Right now, at least he's Schrodinger's jet.
> > Toys don’t last forever, and it was a sad day when some of my earlier BW
> > toys began to break from age brittled plastics, but they lasted for many
> > years before that happened. Even GPS victims lasted for a few years.
> Oh, for sure. I remember playing with G2 Slingshot frequently when I first got him. Now, he's more glue than plastic.
>
> And, yes, toys don't last forever, but there are a great many vintage collectibles that have endured to this day. It's not like a half-finished box of Wheat Thins where you just wait until the expiration date and then throw it out. People still have their vintage Star Wars toys, and those didn't all crumble into a heap of plastic shards. Those were from the 1970's, so older even than Transformers. If I'm an adult collector, and I take reasonably good care of my toys, I should expect them to endure. I'm storing toys in a temperature-controlled environment, out of direct sunlight, and yet they're still deteriorating. That's ridiculous.
> > This is months, and sometimes right out of the box. It’s a whole new level
> > of poor quality.
> Which is a shame, because we're at a point where the sculpts and the designs are at the pinnacle of excellence. I wouldn't care if, say, my Solra Strom Grappel started changing color, but I love my Earthrise Grapple and I don't ever want anything to happen to him.
> > One of the things that makes me hesitate on the Christmas Optimus is all
> > the white plastic.
> On the Shattered Glass Starscream toy (think Jetfire colors), it's only the connective tissue that seems to yellow. The load-bearing joints. Not the rest of the white ABS plastic. So, I don't think Christmas Optimus is necessarily destined to look like a taxi cab. But, it's hard to say. (I *think* Hasbro found out about this long enough ago that any toys they're producing right now should not have this issue. Then again, Motormaster was pretty recent, so...)
>

> Zob (has a G1 Jazz that's yellowing slightly, but he's also nearly 40 years old)

Can confirm, at least with respect to the new Jhiaxus figure. Picked him up in Honolulu two weeks ago, and the legs are already beginning to turn colour. Sigh.

(we only waited HOW long for this toy...?)

JB

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<6698bff8-30ec-4b1c-a3fe-c887094e56b5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7167&group=alt.toys.transformers#7167

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 13:28:05 -0800 (PST)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 21:28 UTC

On Monday, November 28, 2022 at 9:44:48 PM UTC-5, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> [...]
> > > One of the things that makes me hesitate on the Christmas Optimus is all
> > > the white plastic.
> > On the Shattered Glass Starscream toy (think Jetfire colors), it's only the connective tissue that seems to yellow. The load-bearing joints. Not the rest of the white ABS plastic. So, I don't think Christmas Optimus is necessarily destined to look like a taxi cab. But, it's hard to say. (I *think* Hasbro found out about this long enough ago that any toys they're producing right now should not have this issue. Then again, Motormaster was pretty recent, so...)
> >

> > Zob (has a G1 Jazz that's yellowing slightly, but he's also nearly 40 years old)
> Can confirm, at least with respect to the new Jhiaxus figure. Picked him up in Honolulu two weeks ago, and the legs are already beginning to turn colour. Sigh.
>
> (we only waited HOW long for this toy...?)

I've been mostly lucky so far, with my Cyclonus and G2 Ramjet staying unaffected, but Joseph's post prompted me to dig out Jhiaxus, and sure enough, the hips/codpiece area is starting to turn.

On a better note, I gave Jhiaxus's red rifle to Kingdom Terrorsaur, and it's a perfect fit - better than the default pistol. Now I don't have to order one of those insanely overpriced upgrade kits.

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<5677be59-5dfc-4ec8-98c4-47a974ee880bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7170&group=alt.toys.transformers#7170

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:11:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 22:11 UTC

On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 2:33:47 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 1:51:52 PM UTC-7, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
> >
> >> So a ton of new toys are having yellowing issues right out of box.
> >
> > Word on the street is that there is a flame-retardant chemical added to
> > the plastic, and it's causing the trouble. Evidently it's not being
> > mixed in properly, or something like that. Hasbro is now aware of the
> > issue and they're taking steps to correct it, but that doesn't fix all
> > the toys that have been produced up to this point.
> Why do I suspect that this will be like GPS where every year they have a
> fix for it and then a short time later the toys are still affected?
>
> This is why I prefer my toys to be flammable, if not actually literally on
> fire.
> > Toys that have been reported to be significantly affected include Legacy
> > Motormaster, Shattered Glass Starscream, Siege Megatron, Kingdom
> > Cyclonus, Kingdom Maximal Grimlock, and Cyberverse Arcee. I've got some
> > Star Wars toys that have yellowed as well.
> It’s a lot more than that. I’ve even seen it on my Earthrise G2 Ramjet,
> where the small cyan piece that joints the wing now has a golden sheen. (I
> think my Siege Megatron is fine… but I have so many different ones from
> Netflix to cartoon cel to original… I have no idea.)
>
> This also needs a catchy name, like The Great Yellowing… but catchy.
> > It's disappointing, and kind of awful, and a company that's been making
> > toys for 99 years really should know better. (That's right, 2023 will be
> > the 100th anniversary of Hasbro. Expect them to celebrate with even
> > worse distribution and even higher prices! Woooo!)
> Toys don’t last forever, and it was a sad day when some of my earlier BW
> toys began to break from age brittled plastics, but they lasted for many
> years before that happened. Even GPS victims lasted for a few years.
>
> This is months, and sometimes right out of the box. It’s a whole new level
> of poor quality.
> > Zob (every toy turns yellow, and every toy is a retool of Combiner Wars Silverbolt)
> One of the things that makes me hesitate on the Christmas Optimus is all
> the white plastic.

I dubbed him Yellow Snow on Hasbro Pulse's Facebook page

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<3d2b3b15-7957-43ee-93f4-691af274de5cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7172&group=alt.toys.transformers#7172

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:49:29 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 22:49 UTC

On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 2:28:06 PM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:

> Joseph's post prompted me to dig out Jhiaxus, and sure enough, the hips/codpiece area is starting to turn.

Now I'm afraid to check mine.

Okay, you talked me into it.

Um, I'm not sure. I honestly can't tell. I mean, it's rare for colors to match completely on different types of plastics. If he's changed, it's very subtle. And now I'm not sure I actually want to return that extra Jhiaxus I have in the car, just in case I need it...

Zob (confuzzled)

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<29793dee-b2e3-4aa5-91f7-e99f4aded3cfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7173&group=alt.toys.transformers#7173

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 10:30:14 -0800 (PST)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Wed, 30 Nov 2022 18:30 UTC

On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 5:49:30 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 2:28:06 PM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:
>
> > Joseph's post prompted me to dig out Jhiaxus, and sure enough, the hips/codpiece area is starting to turn.
> Now I'm afraid to check mine.
>
> Okay, you talked me into it.
>
> Um, I'm not sure. I honestly can't tell. I mean, it's rare for colors to match completely on different types of plastics. If he's changed, it's very subtle. And now I'm not sure I actually want to return that extra Jhiaxus I have in the car, just in case I need it...
>

> Zob (confuzzled)

The color change is mine is similarly minimal. I almost overreacted and thought I had an issue with my Kingdom Tigatron, until I realized that the off white parts were intentional.

That said, some of the pictures in this thread are pretty egregious - Hasbro really should provide a refund or exchange for some of these: https://www..tfw2005.com/boards/threads/wfc-siege-er-possibly-kingdom-figures-yellowing-quickly.1219262/

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<b78da315-6bd8-41a2-b039-82307a5ee044n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7177&group=alt.toys.transformers#7177

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:27:32 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 01:27 UTC

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 11:30:16 AM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:

> That said, some of the pictures in this thread are pretty egregious - Hasbro really should provide a refund or exchange for some of these: https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/wfc-siege-er-possibly-kingdom-figures-yellowing-quickly.1219262/

Didn't see any pictures of Jhiaxus there, specifically, but it's also like 107 pages' worth of posts, and I didn't look through every single one.

I didn't really look at his colors with a critical eye when I first got him, but I don't think mine is significantly different than when I bought him. My extra one (still in the package, have meant to return it for a while, but I haven't done it because I am lazy) is the same way. I'm so torn on this. I even took a picture with my phone to see if the electronic eye was detecting a difference that I wasn't seeing. Nothing.

Zob (may come to regret this decision, but such goes my life)

Re: Yellowing Legacy epedemic

<dc6eb19b-5104-4dde-9959-50f51eb2d618n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7179&group=alt.toys.transformers#7179

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:45:35 -0800 (PST)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 01:45 UTC

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 8:27:33 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 11:30:16 AM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:
>
> > That said, some of the pictures in this thread are pretty egregious - Hasbro really should provide a refund or exchange for some of these: https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/wfc-siege-er-possibly-kingdom-figures-yellowing-quickly.1219262/
> Didn't see any pictures of Jhiaxus there, specifically, but it's also like 107 pages' worth of posts, and I didn't look through every single one.
>
> I didn't really look at his colors with a critical eye when I first got him, but I don't think mine is significantly different than when I bought him. My extra one (still in the package, have meant to return it for a while, but I haven't done it because I am lazy) is the same way. I'm so torn on this. I even took a picture with my phone to see if the electronic eye was detecting a difference that I wasn't seeing. Nothing.
>

> Zob (may come to regret this decision, but such goes my life)

Frankly, your second-guessing is making me second-guess (third guess?). It's definitely off, but now I wonder if that was intentional. If it weren't for these boards and threads, I'd probably barely notice. I'll just chalk it up to battle damage and move on, I suppose...