Two can Live as Cheaply as One for Half as Long. -- Howard Kandel

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

SubjectAuthor
* YASID - Far Arena clonesAmicus Brevis
+* Re: YASID - Far Arena clonested@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|`- Re: YASID - Far Arena clonesAmicus Brevis
+* Re: YASID - Far Arena clonesJerry Brown
|`- Re: YASID - Far Arena clonesAmicus Brevis
`* Re: YASID - Far Arena clonesMichael Ikeda
 `* Re: YASID - Far Arena clonesDorothy J Heydt
  `* Re: YASID - Far Arena clonesJames Nicoll
   +- Re: YASID - Far Arena clonesDorothy J Heydt
   `* Re: YASID - Far Arena clonesRobert Woodward
    `- Re: YASID - Far Arena clonesQuadibloc

1
YASID - Far Arena clones

<e5bcabd2-2e78-4cf8-b0c4-ea0e8bbe32b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71497&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71497

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:37:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: YASID - Far Arena clones
From: stafford...@gmail.com (Amicus Brevis)
 by: Amicus Brevis - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 03:37 UTC

All,

One of my favorite books is _Far Arena_ by Richard Ben Sapir. I am always interested in the kind of storyline like the sub-plot of the book regarding the psychic shock an ancient would experience if transported to our time, and generally his reaction to it.

I am interested in recommendations - or just mentions - of books with this theme. That is, of people transported to a time in their future, even times that are future to our time.

Btw, some may be wondering if I have time to read the recommendations of the many YASID's I have posted. Just know that I am a retired guy who reads an average of eight (8) hours per day. So your recommendations are not being wasted.

Regards

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<jasmfbFsa1pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71498&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71498

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: YASID - Far Arena clones
Date: 3 Apr 2022 04:34:51 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 04:34 UTC

In article <e5bcabd2-2e78-4cf8-b0c4-ea0e8bbe32b2n@googlegroups.com>,
Amicus Brevis <stafford.martin@gmail.com> wrote:
>All,
>
>One of my favorite books is _Far Arena_ by Richard Ben Sapir. I am
>always interested in the kind of storyline like the sub-plot of the book
>regarding the psychic shock an ancient would experience if transported
>to our time, and generally his reaction to it.
>
>I am interested in recommendations - or just mentions - of books with
>this theme. That is, of people transported to a time in their future,
>even times that are future to our time.
>
>Btw, some may be wondering if I have time to read the recommendations of
>the many YASID's I have posted. Just know that I am a retired guy who
>reads an average of eight (8) hours per day. So your recommendations
>are not being wasted.

Hmm, well these come to mind:

_Knight Life_ by Peter David. King Arthur comes to late 20th NYC (and runs
for mayor).

There were a number of books in Niven's Leshy Circuit setting. Notably
_A World Out Of Time_ tells the story of a late 20th man revived in a
far future (Initially run by a despotic "State" but later things get more
weird).

Asimov's _Pebble In The Sky_ is about a mid-20th tailor catapulted into
Asimov's Foundation setting (well before the events in those books however).

Van Vogt's _The Weapon Shops of Isher_ fixup is bracketed by the story
of a newpaper reporter from the 1940s slipping into the far future world
of the Weapon Shops (as well as the far past world of the Big Bang).
This frame was originally published as a short story, "The Seesaw",
which you can read online here:

http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article327#TheSeesaw

Current bloke sent to the future was also an element of Van Vogt's
"Recruting Station"

http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article327#RecruitingStation

It's also a theme of two of Campbells best "Don A. Stuart" stories, "Twilight"
and "Night".

Edmond Hamilton's _The Star Kings_ involves a current era (40s) man swapped
into a far future body.

It's not quite the same thing since time travel is not involved, but both
Anderson's _The High Crusade_ and Drakes _Ranks of Bronze_ involve
pre-gunpowder soldiers encountering Alien technology.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<hmei4hd8sl960l8qm07flc2g28p4im6g9c@jwbrown.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71499&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71499

From: jer...@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid (Jerry Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 07:18:07 +0100
 by: Jerry Brown - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 06:18 UTC

On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:37:37 -0700 (PDT), Amicus Brevis
<stafford.martin@gmail.com> wrote:

>All,
>
>One of my favorite books is _Far Arena_ by Richard Ben Sapir. I am always interested in the kind of storyline like the sub-plot of the book regarding the psychic shock an ancient would experience if transported to our time, and generally his reaction to it.
>
>I am interested in recommendations - or just mentions - of books with this theme. That is, of people transported to a time in their future, even times that are future to our time.
>
>Btw, some may be wondering if I have time to read the recommendations of the many YASID's I have posted. Just know that I am a retired guy who reads an average of eight (8) hours per day. So your recommendations are not being wasted.

"New Pompeii" by Daniel Godrey: The citizens of Pompeii are pulled
into the present from the day of Vesuvius erupting, and set up in a
mockup of their own town with the intention of setting it up as a
theme park.

This is a Crichton tribute, so they cope rather better than expected.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<XnsAE6E5E19B724Emmikedacomcastnet@85.12.62.219>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71501&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71501

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: mmik...@erols.com (Michael Ikeda)
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 13:15:10 GMT
 by: Michael Ikeda - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:15 UTC

Amicus Brevis <stafford.martin@gmail.com> wrote in

> All,
>
> One of my favorite books is _Far Arena_ by Richard Ben Sapir. I
> am always interested in the kind of storyline like the sub-plot
> of the book regarding the psychic shock an ancient would
> experience if transported to our time, and generally his
> reaction to it.
>
> I am interested in recommendations - or just mentions - of books
> with this theme. That is, of people transported to a time in
> their future, even times that are future to our time.
>
> Btw, some may be wondering if I have time to read the
> recommendations of the many YASID's I have posted. Just know
> that I am a retired guy who reads an average of eight (8) hours
> per day. So your recommendations are not being wasted.
>

> Regards

"11,000 Years" by Mark Roth-Whitworth (published by Ring of Fire
Press) is about a research starship crew that gets flung 11,000
years into the future.

(Have not read yet although the preview and description looks
interesting. Will likely read at some point.)

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<r9rvGF.810@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71511&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71511

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:36:15 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:36 UTC

In article <XnsAE6E5E19B724Emmikedacomcastnet@85.12.62.219>,
Michael Ikeda <mmikeda@erols.com> wrote:
>Amicus Brevis <stafford.martin@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> All,
>>
>> One of my favorite books is _Far Arena_ by Richard Ben Sapir. I
>> am always interested in the kind of storyline like the sub-plot
>> of the book regarding the psychic shock an ancient would
>> experience if transported to our time, and generally his
>> reaction to it.
>>
>> I am interested in recommendations - or just mentions - of books
>> with this theme. That is, of people transported to a time in
>> their future, even times that are future to our time.
>>
>> Btw, some may be wondering if I have time to read the
>> recommendations of the many YASID's I have posted. Just know
>> that I am a retired guy who reads an average of eight (8) hours
>> per day. So your recommendations are not being wasted.
>>

>> Regards
>
>"11,000 Years" by Mark Roth-Whitworth (published by Ring of Fire
>Press) is about a research starship crew that gets flung 11,000
>years into the future.
>
>(Have not read yet although the preview and description looks
>interesting. Will likely read at some point.)

Hm. There's Poul Anderson's early, short (it was half an Ace
Double) _No World of Their Own_, in which the the crew of what
they thought was an FTL starship turns out to have been STL and
there has been boy howdy, what a time slip. The cultures are
diverse and have lots of troubles of their own. The original
cover art (by Freas, from when it was serialized in _Astounding_)
shows one of the characters holding puppet-strings attached to
most of the others--but there's one taut string attached to *him,*
stretching out of frame.

I don't know if it ever got reprinted (I have the original), but
it would be worth looking up.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<t2cli2$p$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71516&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71516

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 17:29:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 17:29 UTC

In article <r9rvGF.810@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <XnsAE6E5E19B724Emmikedacomcastnet@85.12.62.219>,
>Michael Ikeda <mmikeda@erols.com> wrote:
>>Amicus Brevis <stafford.martin@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> One of my favorite books is _Far Arena_ by Richard Ben Sapir. I
>>> am always interested in the kind of storyline like the sub-plot
>>> of the book regarding the psychic shock an ancient would
>>> experience if transported to our time, and generally his
>>> reaction to it.
>>>
>>> I am interested in recommendations - or just mentions - of books
>>> with this theme. That is, of people transported to a time in
>>> their future, even times that are future to our time.
>>>
>>> Btw, some may be wondering if I have time to read the
>>> recommendations of the many YASID's I have posted. Just know
>>> that I am a retired guy who reads an average of eight (8) hours
>>> per day. So your recommendations are not being wasted.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>
>>"11,000 Years" by Mark Roth-Whitworth (published by Ring of Fire
>>Press) is about a research starship crew that gets flung 11,000
>>years into the future.
>>
>>(Have not read yet although the preview and description looks
>>interesting. Will likely read at some point.)
>
>Hm. There's Poul Anderson's early, short (it was half an Ace
>Double) _No World of Their Own_, in which the the crew of what
>they thought was an FTL starship turns out to have been STL and
>there has been boy howdy, what a time slip. The cultures are
>diverse and have lots of troubles of their own. The original
>cover art (by Freas, from when it was serialized in _Astounding_)
>shows one of the characters holding puppet-strings attached to
>most of the others--but there's one taut string attached to *him,*
>stretching out of frame.
>
>I don't know if it ever got reprinted (I have the original), but
>it would be worth looking up.

Reprinted as The Long Way Home by Ace in the late 1970s. Probably expanded
from the Ace double version, since The Long Way Home is 245 pages.

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<r9s4Lv.1soL@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71528&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71528

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 19:53:55 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 19:53 UTC

In article <t2cli2$p$1@reader1.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <r9rvGF.810@kithrup.com>,
>Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
>>In article <XnsAE6E5E19B724Emmikedacomcastnet@85.12.62.219>,
>>Michael Ikeda <mmikeda@erols.com> wrote:
>>>Amicus Brevis <stafford.martin@gmail.com> wrote in

>>>"11,000 Years" by Mark Roth-Whitworth (published by Ring of Fire
>>>Press) is about a research starship crew that gets flung 11,000
>>>years into the future.
>>>
>>>(Have not read yet although the preview and description looks
>>>interesting. Will likely read at some point.)
>>
>>Hm. There's Poul Anderson's early, short (it was half an Ace
>>Double) _No World of Their Own_, in which the the crew of what
>>they thought was an FTL starship turns out to have been STL and
>>there has been boy howdy, what a time slip. The cultures are
>>diverse and have lots of troubles of their own. The original
>>cover art (by Freas, from when it was serialized in _Astounding_)
>>shows one of the characters holding puppet-strings attached to
>>most of the others--but there's one taut string attached to *him,*
>>stretching out of frame.
>>
>>I don't know if it ever got reprinted (I have the original), but
>>it would be worth looking up.
>
>Reprinted as The Long Way Home by Ace in the late 1970s. Probably expanded
>from the Ace double version, since The Long Way Home is 245 pages.

Hmmmmmmmm. I shall have to look it up. Thanks.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<98eefd29-939a-4160-89e9-21e559a75455n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71531&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71531

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 19:50:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: stafford...@gmail.com (Amicus Brevis)
 by: Amicus Brevis - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 02:50 UTC

On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 1:18:17 AM UTC-5, Jerry Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:37:37 -0700 (PDT), Amicus Brevis
> <staffor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >All,
> >
> >One of my favorite books is _Far Arena_ by Richard Ben Sapir. I am always interested in the kind of storyline like the sub-plot of the book regarding the psychic shock an ancient would experience if transported to our time, and generally his reaction to it.
> >
> >I am interested in recommendations - or just mentions - of books with this theme. That is, of people transported to a time in their future, even times that are future to our time.
> >
> >Btw, some may be wondering if I have time to read the recommendations of the many YASID's I have posted. Just know that I am a retired guy who reads an average of eight (8) hours per day. So your recommendations are not being wasted.
> >
> "New Pompeii" by Daniel Godrey: The citizens of Pompeii are pulled
> into the present from the day of Vesuvius erupting, and set up in a
> mockup of their own town with the intention of setting it up as a
> theme park.
>
> This is a Crichton tribute, so they cope rather better than expected.
>
> --
> Jerry Brown
>
> A cat may look at a king
> (but probably won't bother)

Never heard of this. Thanks!

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<9f422d45-b69e-45bf-913a-63c3e356cc51n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71532&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71532

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 20:06:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: stafford...@gmail.com (Amicus Brevis)
 by: Amicus Brevis - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 03:06 UTC

On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 11:34:56 PM UTC-5, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <e5bcabd2-2e78-4cf8...@googlegroups.com>,
> Amicus Brevis <staffor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >All,
> >
> >One of my favorite books is _Far Arena_ by Richard Ben Sapir. I am
> >always interested in the kind of storyline like the sub-plot of the book
> >regarding the psychic shock an ancient would experience if transported
> >to our time, and generally his reaction to it.
> >
> >I am interested in recommendations - or just mentions - of books with
> >this theme. That is, of people transported to a time in their future,
> >even times that are future to our time.
> >
> >Btw, some may be wondering if I have time to read the recommendations of
> >the many YASID's I have posted. Just know that I am a retired guy who
> >reads an average of eight (8) hours per day. So your recommendations
> >are not being wasted.
> >
> Hmm, well these come to mind:
>
> _Knight Life_ by Peter David. King Arthur comes to late 20th NYC (and runs
> for mayor).
>
> There were a number of books in Niven's Leshy Circuit setting. Notably
> _A World Out Of Time_ tells the story of a late 20th man revived in a
> far future (Initially run by a despotic "State" but later things get more
> weird).
>
> Asimov's _Pebble In The Sky_ is about a mid-20th tailor catapulted into
> Asimov's Foundation setting (well before the events in those books however).
>
> Van Vogt's _The Weapon Shops of Isher_ fixup is bracketed by the story
> of a newpaper reporter from the 1940s slipping into the far future world
> of the Weapon Shops (as well as the far past world of the Big Bang).
> This frame was originally published as a short story, "The Seesaw",
> which you can read online here:
>
> http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article327#TheSeesaw
>
> Current bloke sent to the future was also an element of Van Vogt's
> "Recruting Station"
>
> http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article327#RecruitingStation
>
> It's also a theme of two of Campbells best "Don A. Stuart" stories, "Twilight"
> and "Night".
>
> Edmond Hamilton's _The Star Kings_ involves a current era (40s) man swapped
> into a far future body.
>
> It's not quite the same thing since time travel is not involved, but both
> Anderson's _The High Crusade_ and Drakes _Ranks of Bronze_ involve
> pre-gunpowder soldiers encountering Alien technology.
> --
> columbiaclosings.com
> What's not in Columbia anymore..

Incidentally, I read _The High Crusade_ a number of times. Love it.

Regards

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<robertaw-11730D.21505003042022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71534&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71534

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 21:50:50 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 04:50 UTC

jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> In article <r9rvGF.810@kithrup.com>,
> Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
> >In article <XnsAE6E5E19B724Emmikedacomcastnet@85.12.62.219>,
> >Michael Ikeda <mmikeda@erols.com> wrote:
> >>Amicus Brevis <stafford.martin@gmail.com> wrote in

> >>"11,000 Years" by Mark Roth-Whitworth (published by Ring of Fire
> >>Press) is about a research starship crew that gets flung 11,000
> >>years into the future.
> >>
> >>(Have not read yet although the preview and description looks
> >>interesting. Will likely read at some point.)
> >
> >Hm. There's Poul Anderson's early, short (it was half an Ace
> >Double) _No World of Their Own_, in which the the crew of what
> >they thought was an FTL starship turns out to have been STL and
> >there has been boy howdy, what a time slip. The cultures are
> >diverse and have lots of troubles of their own. The original
> >cover art (by Freas, from when it was serialized in _Astounding_)
> >shows one of the characters holding puppet-strings attached to
> >most of the others--but there's one taut string attached to *him,*
> >stretching out of frame.
> >
> >I don't know if it ever got reprinted (I have the original), but
> >it would be worth looking up.
>
> Reprinted as The Long Way Home by Ace in the late 1970s. Probably expanded
> from the Ace double version, since The Long Way Home is 245 pages.

Since the ASF serialization had 4 installments, the Ace double version
might had been cut and the late 70s (and early 80s) reprint (with a
Michael Whelan cover) would then had been uncut.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: YASID - Far Arena clones

<69e35bd6-3357-4eb0-8139-4d8756aebd19n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71537&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71537

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 12:27:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:27 UTC

On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 10:50:55 PM UTC-6, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <t2cli2$p$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> > Reprinted as The Long Way Home by Ace in the late 1970s. Probably expanded
> > from the Ace double version, since The Long Way Home is 245 pages.

> Since the ASF serialization had 4 installments, the Ace double version
> might had been cut and the late 70s (and early 80s) reprint (with a
> Michael Whelan cover) would then had been uncut.

The serialization in ASF was also titled "The Long Way Home". It's true that
usually full-length novels are serialized in three installments in SF magazines,
but the ASF serialization, which I found on the Internet Archive, didn't seem to
be all that long.

John Savard