When the speaker and he to whom he is speaks do not understand, that is metaphysics. -- Voltaire

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

SubjectAuthor
* Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeDavid Johnston
+* Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revengeted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|+- Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeDavid Johnston
|`- Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeJ. Clarke
`* Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 `* Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeLynn McGuire
  +- Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
  +* Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeGary R. Schmidt
  |+- Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeScott Lurndal
  |+- Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeLynn McGuire
  |`* Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeJoy Beeson
  | `- Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeScott Lurndal
  `* Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeMichael F. Stemper
   `- Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's RevengeJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

1
Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<t1tvei$gek$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71304&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71304

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:46:24 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 03:46 UTC

I have a habit of comparing this kind of book to Harrington but really
this series is more of a Vorkosiganade. Like Miles, Jason is a bit on
the short side. Like Miles he ends up involved with a tall female
supersoldier. Like Miles he's connected to royalty. Like Miles he ends
up getting command of a space fleet thrust upon him, aided and abetted
by an excess of noblesse oblige and recklessness and found himself
facing execution for that.

Unlike Miles, however, while Jason is charismatic, he's not a genius or
even well educated in the ways of warfare. In fact it's kind of
refreshing how much this isn't competence porn. And while Miles's luck
never seems to run out, by this book, the fifth, I believe, Jason's luck
has coughed and sputtered some, leaving him betrayed, arrested,
tortured, nearly executed and bitterly regretting how many of his loyal
followers he led to torture and death.

His family has a reputation for insanity, one that has been repeatedly
been used against him, and its coming close to a self-fulfilling
prophecy as Jason gets closer and closer in personality to his
archenemy, the pirate who also a close member of his family. I'll admit
he was a bit more fun when he wasn't constantly on the verge of an
violent outburst of rage, but I can't deny after everything he has been
through, it's sound characterization

Something I can't quite decide about are the references. They're kind
of funny, but also kind of immersion-breaking when you keep recognizing
the call backs to things like Ghostbusters and Star Wars. Still all and
all pretty good milsf.

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<jaffcjFbuh0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71305&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71305

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge
Date: 29 Mar 2022 04:14:11 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 04:14 UTC

In article <t1tvei$gek$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a habit of comparing this kind of book to Harrington but really
>this series is more of a Vorkosiganade. Like Miles, Jason is a bit on
>the short side. Like Miles he ends up involved with a tall female
>supersoldier. Like Miles he's connected to royalty. Like Miles he ends
>up getting command of a space fleet thrust upon him, aided and abetted
>by an excess of noblesse oblige and recklessness and found himself
>facing execution for that.
>
>Unlike Miles, however, while Jason is charismatic, he's not a genius or
>even well educated in the ways of warfare. In fact it's kind of
>refreshing how much this isn't competence porn. And while Miles's luck
>never seems to run out, by this book, the fifth, I believe, Jason's luck
>has coughed and sputtered some, leaving him betrayed, arrested,
>tortured, nearly executed and bitterly regretting how many of his loyal
>followers he led to torture and death.
>
>His family has a reputation for insanity, one that has been repeatedly
>been used against him, and its coming close to a self-fulfilling
>prophecy as Jason gets closer and closer in personality to his
>archenemy, the pirate who also a close member of his family. I'll admit
>he was a bit more fun when he wasn't constantly on the verge of an
>violent outburst of rage, but I can't deny after everything he has been
>through, it's sound characterization
>
>Something I can't quite decide about are the references. They're kind
>of funny, but also kind of immersion-breaking when you keep recognizing
>the call backs to things like Ghostbusters and Star Wars. Still all and
>all pretty good milsf.

Don't forget the elements of Dune. Jason is possibly the Kwisatz Haderach
and is married to a Bene Gesserit (whose mother is a piece of work), plus
the galaxy was once ruled by ruthless AIs and such is now strictly forbidden.
(Except, initially unknown to him, to his closest allies.. and his worst
enemies..)

I was pretty sure I reviewed this once, but I don't have it in my list
of saved reviews, so I can't say much specific about it other than
Wachter continues to have some tics such as inappropriate word choices
(ie: lifted a hand haltingly -- to indicate a "hey, hold on there" gesture)
that grate every now and then).

That said, I have really enjoyed the series. Unfortunately Wachter is one
of serveral authors I follow who has gone incommunicado during the plague.
Given that he is apparently a nurse by profession, I hope all is well.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<t1u8lq$1af5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71307&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71307

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 00:23:53 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 06:23 UTC

On 2022-03-28 10:14 p.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <t1tvei$gek$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I have a habit of comparing this kind of book to Harrington but really
>> this series is more of a Vorkosiganade. Like Miles, Jason is a bit on
>> the short side. Like Miles he ends up involved with a tall female
>> supersoldier. Like Miles he's connected to royalty. Like Miles he ends
>> up getting command of a space fleet thrust upon him, aided and abetted
>> by an excess of noblesse oblige and recklessness and found himself
>> facing execution for that.
>>
>> Unlike Miles, however, while Jason is charismatic, he's not a genius or
>> even well educated in the ways of warfare. In fact it's kind of
>> refreshing how much this isn't competence porn. And while Miles's luck
>> never seems to run out, by this book, the fifth, I believe, Jason's luck
>> has coughed and sputtered some, leaving him betrayed, arrested,
>> tortured, nearly executed and bitterly regretting how many of his loyal
>> followers he led to torture and death.
>>
>> His family has a reputation for insanity, one that has been repeatedly
>> been used against him, and its coming close to a self-fulfilling
>> prophecy as Jason gets closer and closer in personality to his
>> archenemy, the pirate who also a close member of his family. I'll admit
>> he was a bit more fun when he wasn't constantly on the verge of an
>> violent outburst of rage, but I can't deny after everything he has been
>> through, it's sound characterization
>>
>> Something I can't quite decide about are the references. They're kind
>> of funny, but also kind of immersion-breaking when you keep recognizing
>> the call backs to things like Ghostbusters and Star Wars. Still all and
>> all pretty good milsf.
>
> Don't forget the elements of Dune. Jason is possibly the Kwisatz Haderach
> and is married to a Bene Gesserit (whose mother is a piece of work), plus
> the galaxy was once ruled by ruthless AIs and such is now strictly forbidden.
> (Except, initially unknown to him, to his closest allies.. and his worst
> enemies..)

I was a bit amused to notice that he cribbed the organization of the
Imperium fleet from the Traveller RPG, which primarily focused on an
region known as the Spinward Marches.

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<XnsAE6956AB0ECB0taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71314&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71314

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 08:31:11 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:31 UTC

David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote in

> And while Miles's luck never seems to run out,

Except when he ends up, you know, dead and all.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<t1vol9$tv6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71330&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71330

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:02:48 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 20:02 UTC

On 3/29/2022 10:31 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> And while Miles's luck never seems to run out,
>
> Except when he ends up, you know, dead and all.

It only happened once. That is fairly lucky.

Lynn

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<r4t64hhd0jjher44a3aqp2aaj20ihb5v56@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71337&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71337

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:07:05 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:07 UTC

On 29 Mar 2022 04:14:11 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <t1tvei$gek$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>I have a habit of comparing this kind of book to Harrington but really
>>this series is more of a Vorkosiganade. Like Miles, Jason is a bit on
>>the short side. Like Miles he ends up involved with a tall female
>>supersoldier. Like Miles he's connected to royalty. Like Miles he ends
>>up getting command of a space fleet thrust upon him, aided and abetted
>>by an excess of noblesse oblige and recklessness and found himself
>>facing execution for that.
>>
>>Unlike Miles, however, while Jason is charismatic, he's not a genius or
>>even well educated in the ways of warfare. In fact it's kind of
>>refreshing how much this isn't competence porn. And while Miles's luck
>>never seems to run out, by this book, the fifth, I believe, Jason's luck
>>has coughed and sputtered some, leaving him betrayed, arrested,
>>tortured, nearly executed and bitterly regretting how many of his loyal
>>followers he led to torture and death.
>>
>>His family has a reputation for insanity, one that has been repeatedly
>>been used against him, and its coming close to a self-fulfilling
>>prophecy as Jason gets closer and closer in personality to his
>>archenemy, the pirate who also a close member of his family. I'll admit
>>he was a bit more fun when he wasn't constantly on the verge of an
>>violent outburst of rage, but I can't deny after everything he has been
>>through, it's sound characterization
>>
>>Something I can't quite decide about are the references. They're kind
>>of funny, but also kind of immersion-breaking when you keep recognizing
>>the call backs to things like Ghostbusters and Star Wars. Still all and
>>all pretty good milsf.
>
>Don't forget the elements of Dune. Jason is possibly the Kwisatz Haderach
>and is married to a Bene Gesserit (whose mother is a piece of work), plus
>the galaxy was once ruled by ruthless AIs and such is now strictly forbidden.
>(Except, initially unknown to him, to his closest allies.. and his worst
>enemies..)
>
>I was pretty sure I reviewed this once, but I don't have it in my list
>of saved reviews, so I can't say much specific about it other than
>Wachter continues to have some tics such as inappropriate word choices
>(ie: lifted a hand haltingly -- to indicate a "hey, hold on there" gesture)
>that grate every now and then).

I dunno. If one said "The Wind-Up Girl lifted a hand haltingly" that
would be consistent with the description of her movement IIRC.

>That said, I have really enjoyed the series. Unfortunately Wachter is one
>of serveral authors I follow who has gone incommunicado during the plague.
>Given that he is apparently a nurse by profession, I hope all is well.

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<XnsAE6990B5BEE8taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71338&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71338

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:13:31 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:13 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote in news:t1vol9$tv6$1
@dont-email.me:

> On 3/29/2022 10:31 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote in
>>
>>> And while Miles's luck never seems to run out,
>>
>> Except when he ends up, you know, dead and all.
>
> It only happened once. That is fairly lucky.

Heh.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<oaddhi-qpd.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71351&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71351

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 18:26:56 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 07:26 UTC

On 30/03/2022 07:02, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 3/29/2022 10:31 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote in
>>
>>> And while Miles's luck never seems to run out,
>>
>> Except when he ends up, you know, dead and all.
>
> It only happened once.  That is fairly lucky.

And he got better. ;-)

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<DNZ0K.487291$7F2.411058@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71355&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71355

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:27:47 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:27 UTC

"Gary R. Schmidt" <grschmidt@acm.org> writes:
>On 30/03/2022 07:02, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 3/29/2022 10:31 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>> Except when he ends up, you know, dead and all.
>>
>> It only happened once.  That is fairly lucky.
>>
>And he got better. ;-)

At least until he had the nasty virus eat
through his gloves - leading to permanent nerve
damage and a likely shorter lifespan.

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<t21png$ng5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71356&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71356

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 09:33:20 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:33 UTC

On 29/03/2022 15.02, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 3/29/2022 10:31 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote in
>>
>>> And while Miles's luck never seems to run out,
>>
>> Except when he ends up, you know, dead and all.
>
> It only happened once.  That is fairly lucky.

That's how it goes for most of us.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Isaiah 58:6-7

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<t223ar$8u7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71364&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71364

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:17:14 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 17:17 UTC

On 3/30/2022 2:26 AM, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> On 30/03/2022 07:02, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 3/29/2022 10:31 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>> Except when he ends up, you know, dead and all.
>>
>> It only happened once.  That is fairly lucky.
>>
> And he got better.  ;-)
>
>     Cheers,
>         Gary    B-)

Mostly better what with the seizures and all the scars.

Lynn

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<XnsAE6A91354E485taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71379&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71379

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:16:28 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:16 UTC

"Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote in news:t21png
$ng5$2@dont-email.me:

> On 29/03/2022 15.02, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 3/29/2022 10:31 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>> Except when he ends up, you know, dead and all.
>>
>> It only happened once.  That is fairly lucky.
>
> That's how it goes for most of us.

Strictly speaking, multiple times does happen in the real world. Not
quite so spectacularly, but it does happen.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<g1fn4hp7lujsgtiffftrpakn29ge61rrd3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71538&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71538

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 23:50:27 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 03:50 UTC

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 18:26:56 +1100, "Gary R. Schmidt"
<grschmidt@acm.org> wrote:

> On 30/03/2022 07:02, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > On 3/29/2022 10:31 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> >> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote in

> >> Except when he ends up, you know, dead and all.
> >
> > It only happened once.  That is fairly lucky.
> >
> And he got better. ;-)

I never go through a panic-lock door without thinking of that episode.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Spineward Sectors: Admiral's Revenge

<YtZ2K.26562$Kdf.24748@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71545&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71545

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:44:56 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 15:44 UTC

Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> writes:
>On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 18:26:56 +1100, "Gary R. Schmidt"
><grschmidt@acm.org> wrote:

>> > It only happened once.  That is fairly lucky.
>> >
>> And he got better. ;-)
>
>I never go through a panic-lock door without thinking of that episode.

Are you thinking of Cryoburn?