From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Human by Choice" by Travis S. Taylor and Darrell Bain
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 20:53:59 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 01:53 UTC

"Human by Choice" by Travis S. Taylor and Darrell Bain
https://www.amazon.com/Human-Choice-Travis-S-Taylor/dp/1606190474/

Book number one of a three book space opera series. I read the well
printed and well bound POD trade paperback published in 2009 by Paladin
Timeless Books. This is my second or third reading of this book. I
have read the two follow-on books without Travis Taylor and they are not
near as good.

My review from 2018: "Book number one of a three book space opera
series. I read the well formatted and bound POD (print on demand) trade
paperback. The author slate for the second and third books in the
series drops Travis Taylor and adds Stephanie Osborn which is a little
worrisome as I have ordered the second book in the series.
Wow, this is pulp science fiction at its best ! I loved it !
An alien space ship is passing through the Solar System when its FTL
drive catastrophically fails. The aliens rush to the lifeboats and
about a hundred of them make it off the space ship before it
disintegrates. Many of the aliens and lifeboats perished with the space
ship.
Several of the lifeboats land on the planet Earth. One crashes in Kyle
Leverson's yard. He rescues the alien who proceeds to fix her broken
body with tools from the lifeboat. Since she has no prospect of
communicating with her race, she decides to use her tools and mental
abilities to convert her body to a human female. And then things get
interesting."

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars (awesome SF pulp !)
Amazon rating: 3.9 out of 5 stats (44 reviews)

Lynn