From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: 2022 Hugo Finalists
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 19:12:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 19:12 UTC

(I don't think anyone has posted this)

Best Novel

A Desolation Called Peace, by Arkady Martine (Tor)
The Galaxy, and the Ground Within, by Becky Chambers (Harper Voyager / Hodder & Stoughton)
Light From Uncommon Stars, by Ryka Aoki (Tor)
A Master of Djinn, by P. Djèlí Clark (Tordotcom / Orbit UK)
Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir (Ballantine / Del Rey)
She Who Became the Sun, by Shelley Parker-Chan (Tor / Mantle)

Best Novella

Across the Green Grass Fields, by Seanan McGuire (Tordotcom)
Elder Race, by Adrian Tchaikovsky (Tordotcom)
Fireheart Tiger, by Aliette de Bodard (Tordotcom)
The Past Is Red, by Catherynne M. Valente (Tordotcom)
A Psalm for the Wild-Built, by Becky Chambers (Tordotcom)
A Spindle Splintered, by Alix E. Harrow (Tordotcom)

Best Novelette

Bots of the Lost Ark, by Suzanne Palmer (Clarkesworld, Jun 2021)
Colors of the Immortal Palette, by Caroline M. Yoachim (Uncanny Magazine, Mar/Apr 2021)
LEsprit de L'Escalier, by Catherynne M. Valente (Tordotcom)
O2 Arena, by Oghenechovwe Donald Ekpeki (Galaxy’s Edge, Nov 2021)
That Story Isn't the Story, by John Wiswell (Uncanny Magazine, Nov/Dec 2021)
Unseelie Brothers, Ltd., by Fran Wilde (Uncanny Magazine, May/Jun 2021)

Best Short Story

Mr. Death, by Alix E. Harrow (Apex Magazine, Feb 2021)
Proof by Induction, by Jose Pablo Iriarte (Uncanny Magazine, May/Jun 2021)
The Sin of America, by Catherynne M. Valente (Uncanny Magazine, Mar/Apr 2021)
Tangles, by Seanan McGuire (Magicthegathering.com: Magic Story, Sep 2021)
Unknown Number, by Blue Neustifter (Twitter, Jul 2021)
Where Oaken Hearts Do Gather, by Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny Magazine, Mar/Apr 2021)

Best Series

The Green Bone Saga, by Fonda Lee (Orbit)
The Kingston Cycle, by C. L. Polk (Tordotcom)
Merchant Princes, by Charles Stross (Tor UK / Tor)
Terra Ignota, by Ada Palmer (Tor Books)
Wayward Children, by Seanan McGuire (Tordotcom)
The World of the White Rat, by T. Kingfisher (Ursula Vernon) (Argyll Productions)

Best Graphic Story or Comic

DIE, vol. 4: Bleed, written by Kieron Gillen, art by Stephanie Hans,
lettering by Clayton Cowles (Image)
Far Sector, written by N.K. Jemisin, art by Jamal Campbell (DC)
Lore Olympus, vol. 1, by Rachel Smythe (Del Rey)
Monstress, vol. 6: The Vow, written by Marjorie Liu, art by Sana Takeda (Image)
Once & Future, vol. 3: The Parliament of Magpies, written by Kieron Gillen,
illustrated by Dan Mora, colored by Tamra Bonvillain (BOOM!)
Strange Adventures, written by Tom King, art by Mitch Gerads and Evan Doc
Shaner (DC)

Best Related Work

Being Seen: One Deafblind Woman's Fight to End Ableism, by Elsa Sjunneson
(Tiller Press)
The Complete Debarkle: Saga of a Culture War, by Camestros Felapton (Camestros
Felapton)
Dangerous Visions and New Worlds: Radical Science Fiction, 1950 to 1985, edited
by Andrew Nette and Iain McIntyre (PM Press)
How Twitter can ruin a life, by Emily St. James (Vox, Jun 2021)
Never Say You Can't Survive, by Charlie Jane Anders (Tordotcom)
True Believer: The Rise and Fall of Stan Lee, by Abraham Riesman (Crown)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form

Dune, screenplay by Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve, and Eric Roth; directed
by Denis Villeneuve; based on the novel Dune by Frank Herbert
(Warner Bros / Legendary Entertainment)
Encanto, screenplay by Charise Castro Smith and Jared Bush; directed by
Jared Bush, Byron Howard, and Charise Castro Smith (Walt Disney Studios Motion
Pictures)
The Green Knight, written and directed by David Lowery (BRON Studios/A24)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, screenplay by Dave Callaham,
Destin Daniel Cretton, Andrew Lanham; directed by Destin Daniel Cretton (Walt
Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
Space Sweepers, written and directed by Jo Sung-hee (Bidangil Pictures)
WandaVision, screenplay by Peter Cameron, Mackenzie Dohr, Laura Donney,
Bobak Esfarjani, Megan McDonnell, Jac Schaeffer (created by and head writer),
Cameron Squires, Gretchen Enders, Chuck Hayward; directed by Matt Shakman (Disney+)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form

The Wheel of Time: The Flame of Tar Valon, written by Justine Juel Gillmer,
directed by Salli Richardson-Whitfield, based on The Wheel of Time series by
Robert Jordan (Amazon Studios)
For All Mankind: The Grey, written by Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi; directed
by Sergio Mimica-Gezzan (Tall Ship Productions/Sony Pictures Television)
Arcane: The Monster You Created, written by Christian Linke and Alex Yee;
story by Christian Linke, Alex Yee, Conor Sheehy, and Ash Brannon; directed by
Pascal Charrue and Arnaud Delord (Netflix)
The Expanse: Nemesis Games, written by Daniel Abraham, Ty Franck, and Naren
Shankar; directed by Breck Eisner (Amazon Studios)
Loki: The Nexus Event, written by Eric Martin, directed by Kate Herron,
created for television by Michael Waldron (Disney+)
Star Trek: Lower Decks: wej Duj, written by Kathryn Lyn, directed by Bob
Suarez (CBS Eye Animation Productions)

Best Editor, Short Form

Neil Clarke
Oghenechovwe Donald Ekpeki
Mur Lafferty & S.B. Divya
Jonathan Strahan
Sheree Rene Thomas
Sheila Williams

Best Editor, Long Form

Ruoxi Chen
Nivia Evans
Sarah T. Guan
Brit Hvide
Patrick Nielsen Hayden
Navah Wolfe

Best Professional Artist

Tommy Arnold
Rovina Cai
Ashley Mackenzie
Maurizio Manzieri
Will Staehle
Alyssa Winans

Best Semiprozine

(I hit my typing limit with this one: list of contributors at the other of the link
I hope I remember to include.
Beneath Ceaseless Skies
Escape Pod
FIYAH Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction
PodCastle
Strange Horizons
Uncanny Magazine

Best Fanzine

The Full Lid, by Alasdair Stuart and Marguerite Kenner
Galactic Journey, founder Gideon Marcus; editor Janice L. Newman;
associate writers Gwyn Conaway, Jason Sacks, and John Boston
Journey Planet, edited by Erin Underwood, Jean Martin, Sara Felix, Vanessa
Applegate, Chuck Serface, Errick Nunnally, Evan Reeves, Steven H Silver, James
Bacon, and Christopher J Garcia
Quick Sip Reviews, editor Charles Payseur
Small Gods, Lee Moyer (Icon) and Seanan McGuire (Story)
Unofficial Hugo Book Club Blog, editors Amanda Wakaruk and Olav Rokne

Best Fancast

Be The Serpent, presented by Alexandra Rowland, Freya Marske, and Jennifer Mace
The Coode Street Podcast, presented by Jonathan Strahan and Gary K. Wolfe,
Jonathan Strahan producer
Hugo, Girl!, hosts Haley Zapal, Amy Salley, and Lori Anderson; producer/editor
Kevin Anderson
Octothorpe, by John Coxon, Alison Scott, and Liz Batty
Our Opinions Are Correct, presented by Annalee Newitz and Charlie Jane Anders,
produced by Veronica Simonetti
Worldbuilding for Masochists, presented by Cass Morris, Rowenna Miller,
and Marshall Ryan Maresca

Best Fan Writer

Chris M. Barkley
Bitter Karella
Alex Brown
Cora Buhlert
Jason Sanford
Paul Weimer

Best Fan Artist

Iain J. Clark
Lorelei Esther
Sara Felix
Ariela Housman
Nilah Magruder
Lee Moyer

Lodestar Award for Best Young Adult Book (not a Hugo)

Chaos on CatNet, by Naomi Kritzer (Tor Teen)
Iron Widow, by Xiran Jay Zhao (Penguin Teen / Rock the Boat)
The Last Graduate, by Naomi Novik (Del Rey Books)
Redemptor, by Jordan Ifueko (Amulet Books / Hot Key Books)
A Snake Falls to Earth, by Darcie Little Badger (Levine Querido)
Victories Greater Than Death, by Charlie Jane Anders (Tor Teen / Titan)

Astounding Award for Best New Writer, sponsored by Dell Magazines (not a Hugo)

Tracy Deonn (2nd year of eligibility)
Micaiah Johnson (2nd year of eligibility)
A.K. Larkwood (2nd year of eligibility)
Everina Maxwell (1st year of eligibility)
Shelley Parker-Chan (1st year of eligibility)
Xiran Jay Zhao (1st year of eligibility)

Re: 2022 Hugo Finalists

<t2sls0$dll$2@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71678&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71678

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: 2022 Hugo Finalists
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 19:13:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 19:13 UTC

And I forgot the link. Repeated concussions are thingie.

https://chicon.org/home/whats-happening/hugo-awards/

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 2022 Hugo Finalists

<t2svl5$2hn7$1@usenet.csail.mit.edu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71683&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71683

From: woll...@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 22:00:05 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: wollman@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
 by: Garrett Wollman - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 22:00 UTC

In article <t2slq3$dll$1@reader1.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:

>Best Novella
>
> Across the Green Grass Fields, by Seanan McGuire (Tordotcom)
> Elder Race, by Adrian Tchaikovsky (Tordotcom)
> Fireheart Tiger, by Aliette de Bodard (Tordotcom)
> The Past Is Red, by Catherynne M. Valente (Tordotcom)
> A Psalm for the Wild-Built, by Becky Chambers (Tordotcom)
> A Spindle Splintered, by Alix E. Harrow (Tordotcom)

Are there no other venues publishing novella-length work at this
point, or is tor.com just the favorite (over multiple years) of the
Worldcon membership?

-GAWollman

wollman@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Re: 2022 Hugo Finalists

<t2t304$qhe$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71687&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71687

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 22:57:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 22:57 UTC

In article <t2svl5$2hn7$1@usenet.csail.mit.edu>,
Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org> wrote:
>In article <t2slq3$dll$1@reader1.panix.com>,
>James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>
>>Best Novella
>>
>> Across the Green Grass Fields, by Seanan McGuire (Tordotcom)
>> Elder Race, by Adrian Tchaikovsky (Tordotcom)
>> Fireheart Tiger, by Aliette de Bodard (Tordotcom)
>> The Past Is Red, by Catherynne M. Valente (Tordotcom)
>> A Psalm for the Wild-Built, by Becky Chambers (Tordotcom)
>> A Spindle Splintered, by Alix E. Harrow (Tordotcom)
>
>Are there no other venues publishing novella-length work at this
>point, or is tor.com just the favorite (over multiple years) of the
>Worldcon membership?

The second.