Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. -- Benjamin Franklin

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Authors missing since the pandemic

SubjectAuthor
* Authors missing since the pandemicted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Re: Authors missing since the pandemicAhasuerus
|+* Re: Authors missing since the pandemicScott Lurndal
||`- Re: Authors missing since the pandemicDefault User
|`- Re: Authors missing since the pandemicAndrew McDowell
+- Re: Authors missing since the pandemicAnthony Frost
`* Re: Authors missing since the pandemicRoss Presser
 `- Re: Authors missing since the pandemicted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan

1
Authors missing since the pandemic

<jbgmb0Fob88U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71714&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71714

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Authors missing since the pandemic
Date: 10 Apr 2022 18:35:12 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 18:35 UTC

As I mentioned in passing some time ago, a number of writers I follow
seem to have gone missing during the pandemic. I certainly hope they
are OK. Here are the four that spring to mind:

J.A. Sutherland
https://www.amazon.com/J-A-Sutherland/e/B00MY211DM

Sutherland is probably the highest profile of the four with
his Alexis Carew series being a creditable replacement for
Honor Harrington. (Granted the penultimate book-so-far was
a bit of a slump, but the most recent was a good return to
form). It appears he hasn't published anything since 2019,
and has not updated his info since early 2021.

Luke "Sky" Wachter
https://www.amazon.com/Luke-Sky-Wachter/e/B008VO5354

Wachter writes the "Spineward Sectors" space opera series
chronicling the adventures of Jason Montagne. There hasn't
been a book since 2019, and he hasn't updated his info in
three years.

His brother Caleb often wrote spin-off books in the Spineward Sectors
setting, and he seems to have vanished as well.

Maxx Whittaker

https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Whittaker/e/B07J42VNJM

"She" writes harem adventure of which I find the litrpg
"Aspirant" series entertaining. The afterword to the second
book promises a new one in 2020, and that hasn't happened,
and it appears that "her" most recent publication was
a serial chapter in early 2021.

Scott Browder

https://www.amazon.com/Scott-Browder/e/B082W59L7L

Browder wrote _Skyclad_ supposedly the first book in
"The Anvil of Fate" litrpg series. I went in expecting
a romp (the main character spends the whole book naked
for reasons), but in the event got a very entertaining
good first novel (albeit clearly a "first novel").

That was 2019, and as far as I can tell, he hasn't updated
his info ever. Doing a web search suggested that he had
started the follow-up, but I could never find anything
definite, or an actual page for him.

Anyway, that's my milk-carton list. Anybody else missing authors?
Anyone have any info on these?
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Authors missing since the pandemic

<4c5fedf9-c284-4e71-8dd6-0b61de52e7ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71718&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71718

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:52:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Authors missing since the pandemic
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 22:52 UTC

On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 2:35:17 PM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> As I mentioned in passing some time ago, a number of writers I follow
> seem to have gone missing during the pandemic. I certainly hope they
> are OK. Here are the four that spring to mind:
>
> J.A. Sutherland
> https://www.amazon.com/J-A-Sutherland/e/B00MY211DM
>
> Sutherland is probably the highest profile of the four with
> his Alexis Carew series being a creditable replacement for
> Honor Harrington. (Granted the penultimate book-so-far was
> a bit of a slump, but the most recent was a good return to
> form). It appears he hasn't published anything since 2019,
> and has not updated his info since early 2021.
>
> Luke "Sky" Wachter
> https://www.amazon.com/Luke-Sky-Wachter/e/B008VO5354
>
> Wachter writes the "Spineward Sectors" space opera series
> chronicling the adventures of Jason Montagne. There hasn't
> been a book since 2019, and he hasn't updated his info in
> three years.
>
> His brother Caleb often wrote spin-off books in the Spineward Sectors
> setting, and he seems to have vanished as well.
>
> Maxx Whittaker
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Whittaker/e/B07J42VNJM
>
> "She" writes harem adventure of which I find the litrpg
> "Aspirant" series entertaining. The afterword to the second
> book promises a new one in 2020, and that hasn't happened,
> and it appears that "her" most recent publication was
> a serial chapter in early 2021.
>
> Scott Browder
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Scott-Browder/e/B082W59L7L
>
> Browder wrote _Skyclad_ supposedly the first book in
> "The Anvil of Fate" litrpg series. I went in expecting
> a romp (the main character spends the whole book naked
> for reasons), but in the event got a very entertaining
> good first novel (albeit clearly a "first novel").
>
> That was 2019, and as far as I can tell, he hasn't updated
> his info ever. Doing a web search suggested that he had
> started the follow-up, but I could never find anything
> definite, or an actual page for him.
>
> Anyway, that's my milk-carton list. Anybody else missing authors?

H. Paul Honsinger (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?198236)
died on 2020. COVID complications:
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/mohavedailynews/name/harvey-honsinger-obituary?id=8213204

Re: Authors missing since the pandemic

<4f8c62d759%Vulch@kerrier.vulch.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71727&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71727

From: Vul...@vulch.org (Anthony Frost)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:01:32 +0000
 by: Anthony Frost - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:01 UTC

In message <jbgmb0Fob88U1@mid.individual.net>
ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> As I mentioned in passing some time ago, a number of writers I follow
> seem to have gone missing during the pandemic.
> Luke "Sky" Wachter
> https://www.amazon.com/Luke-Sky-Wachter/e/B008VO5354
>
> Wachter writes the "Spineward Sectors" space opera series
> chronicling the adventures of Jason Montagne. There hasn't
> been a book since 2019, and he hasn't updated his info in
> three years.
>
> His brother Caleb often wrote spin-off books in the Spineward Sectors
> setting, and he seems to have vanished as well.

I got sucked into the Spineward Sector series recently. Somewhere I saw
a note suggesting that both Wachters have day jobs in the health care
field, so have probably been a little busy with that recently.

Anthony

Re: Authors missing since the pandemic

<DbX4K.151766$dln7.132683@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71732&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71732

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:46:59 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:46 UTC

Ahasuerus <ahasuerus@email.com> writes:
>On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 2:35:17 PM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> As I mentioned in passing some time ago, a number of writers I follow
>> seem to have gone missing during the pandemic. I certainly hope they
>> are OK. Here are the four that spring to mind:
>>
>> J.A. Sutherland

>> Luke "Sky" Wachter

>> Maxx Whittaker

>> Scott Browder

>> Anyway, that's my milk-carton list. Anybody else missing authors?
>
>H. Paul Honsinger (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?198236)
>died on 2020. COVID complications:
>https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/mohavedailynews/name/harvey-honsinger-obituary?id=8213204

Eileen Wilks hasn't updated her blog/website/facebook since march 2020.

Re: Authors missing since the pandemic

<1849f356-3080-4f5b-80f4-eca0d8b11b3en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71738&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71738

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:05:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:05 UTC

On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 11:52:57 PM UTC+1, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 2:35:17 PM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> > As I mentioned in passing some time ago, a number of writers I follow
> > seem to have gone missing during the pandemic. I certainly hope they
> > are OK. Here are the four that spring to mind:
> >
> > J.A. Sutherland
> > https://www.amazon.com/J-A-Sutherland/e/B00MY211DM
> >
> > Sutherland is probably the highest profile of the four with
> > his Alexis Carew series being a creditable replacement for
> > Honor Harrington. (Granted the penultimate book-so-far was
> > a bit of a slump, but the most recent was a good return to
> > form). It appears he hasn't published anything since 2019,
> > and has not updated his info since early 2021.
> >
> > Luke "Sky" Wachter
> > https://www.amazon.com/Luke-Sky-Wachter/e/B008VO5354
> >
> > Wachter writes the "Spineward Sectors" space opera series
> > chronicling the adventures of Jason Montagne. There hasn't
> > been a book since 2019, and he hasn't updated his info in
> > three years.
> >
> > His brother Caleb often wrote spin-off books in the Spineward Sectors
> > setting, and he seems to have vanished as well.
> >
> > Maxx Whittaker
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Whittaker/e/B07J42VNJM
> >
> > "She" writes harem adventure of which I find the litrpg
> > "Aspirant" series entertaining. The afterword to the second
> > book promises a new one in 2020, and that hasn't happened,
> > and it appears that "her" most recent publication was
> > a serial chapter in early 2021.
> >
> > Scott Browder
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/Scott-Browder/e/B082W59L7L
> >
> > Browder wrote _Skyclad_ supposedly the first book in
> > "The Anvil of Fate" litrpg series. I went in expecting
> > a romp (the main character spends the whole book naked
> > for reasons), but in the event got a very entertaining
> > good first novel (albeit clearly a "first novel").
> >
> > That was 2019, and as far as I can tell, he hasn't updated
> > his info ever. Doing a web search suggested that he had
> > started the follow-up, but I could never find anything
> > definite, or an actual page for him.
> >
> > Anyway, that's my milk-carton list. Anybody else missing authors?
> H. Paul Honsinger (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?198236)
> died on 2020. COVID complications:
> https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/mohavedailynews/name/harvey-honsinger-obituary?id=8213204
I had heard that Honsinger had died, but didn't know it was from Covid. I enjoyed his "Man of War" series - a good variation on the Aubrey/Maturin in space theme, with interesting references back to general history and to the Apollo program.

Re: Authors missing since the pandemic

<24ba72df-7df8-4eee-842b-384d09a1e1aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71739&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71739

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: rpres...@gmail.com (Ross Presser)
 by: Ross Presser - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:49 UTC

On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 2:35:17 PM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> J.A. Sutherland
> https://www.amazon.com/J-A-Sutherland/e/B00MY211DM
>
> Sutherland is probably the highest profile of the four with
> his Alexis Carew series being a creditable replacement for
> Honor Harrington. (Granted the penultimate book-so-far was
> a bit of a slump, but the most recent was a good return to
> form). It appears he hasn't published anything since 2019,
> and has not updated his info since early 2021.

Last posted to his Facebook account https://www.facebook.com/jasutherlandbooks/
on Sep 21 2021. Blogged on Feb 28, 2021 at darkspace.press.
Email address is given on the site darkspace.press if you look for it.

> Luke "Sky" Wachter
> https://www.amazon.com/Luke-Sky-Wachter/e/B008VO5354
>
> Wachter writes the "Spineward Sectors" space opera series
> chronicling the adventures of Jason Montagne. There hasn't
> been a book since 2019, and he hasn't updated his info in
> three years.

Last tweeted https://twitter.com/lukeskywachter?lang=en
on Mar 4 2021.
Posted to Instagram https://www.instagram.com/luke.sky.watcher/?hl=en
on Aug 25 2021.

> His brother Caleb often wrote spin-off books in the Spineward Sectors
> setting, and he seems to have vanished as well.
Last tweeted https://twitter.com/calebwachter
on Mar 5 2021.

> Maxx Whittaker
> https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Whittaker/e/B07J42VNJM
>
> "She" writes harem adventure of which I find the litrpg
> "Aspirant" series entertaining. The afterword to the second
> book promises a new one in 2020, and that hasn't happened,
> and it appears that "her" most recent publication was
> a serial chapter in early 2021.
Last posted to Facebook Aug 2021.
https://www.facebook.com/SubsequentOffenses

> Scott Browder
> https://www.amazon.com/Scott-Browder/e/B082W59L7L
>
> Browder wrote _Skyclad_ supposedly the first book in
> "The Anvil of Fate" litrpg series. I went in expecting
> a romp (the main character spends the whole book naked
> for reasons), but in the event got a very entertaining
> good first novel (albeit clearly a "first novel").
>
> That was 2019, and as far as I can tell, he hasn't updated
> his info ever. Doing a web search suggested that he had
> started the follow-up, but I could never find anything
> definite, or an actual page for him.

The sequel "Skybound" appears to still be in progress
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26149/skybound
with a last post date of 2 months ago.

Re: Authors missing since the pandemic

<jbjc6iF9gfjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71741&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71741

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 11 Apr 2022 19:00:34 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:00 UTC

In article <24ba72df-7df8-4eee-842b-384d09a1e1aan@googlegroups.com>,
Ross Presser <rpresser@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Scott Browder
>> https://www.amazon.com/Scott-Browder/e/B082W59L7L
>>
>> Browder wrote _Skyclad_ supposedly the first book in
>> "The Anvil of Fate" litrpg series. I went in expecting
>> a romp (the main character spends the whole book naked
>> for reasons), but in the event got a very entertaining
>> good first novel (albeit clearly a "first novel").
>>
>> That was 2019, and as far as I can tell, he hasn't updated
>> his info ever. Doing a web search suggested that he had
>> started the follow-up, but I could never find anything
>> definite, or an actual page for him.
>
>The sequel "Skybound" appears to still be in progress
>https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26149/skybound
>with a last post date of 2 months ago.

Hey, cool, that's more than I found!
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Authors missing since the pandemic

<0effabeb-1612-4116-915d-944ed7edf97cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71757&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71757

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:14:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
 by: Default User - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 01:14 UTC

On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 9:47:04 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Eileen Wilks hasn't updated her blog/website/facebook since march 2020.

She is active on Twitter, although mostly retweeting. Not dead anyway.

Brian