From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Various YASIDs
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 10:43:10 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 17:43 UTC

I must admit that only the first two could be Science Fiction or
Fantasy. I read all of these decades ago, probably in the early to mid
1960s. IIRC, I previously posted the first two requests about 2 decades
ago.

1) This is definitely SF. I believe that there were 2 plot threads. In
the first, somebody couldn't find a book he remembered reading (no
evidence that it even existed). The second thread involved time
travelers who change the timeline from time to time (the character in
the first thread appears to be unique in that he remembers events of the
previous timeline). Eventually, the character in the first thread is
killed; the time travelers make a change in the past which result in him
not being killed (IIRC, this was just a side effect), and the character
in the first thread remembers being killed.

2) I think this one was SF. Our protagonist is a guard in a prison
(holding camp? special institution?) of violent mutants (I think they
were mutants, perhaps they were the wrong minority). One of the
prisoners was a good-looking late teenage female. I remember nothing of
the plot other than the reason she was classified as a violent mutant
was that she took exception to sexual harassment (or was it an attempted
rape?) by a guard at the previous prison (or whatever).

3) This is not fantasy, though it might be associational. I believe it
was set in the late 1950s. A guy in his 20s is a big winner in a poker
game in (IIRC) Boston. The big loser was a fisherman from Sweden. Our
protagonist has an idea on how the fisherman can pay off the debt. He
visits a professor of his to see if the deal will work. His reception
was a bit hostile because back when he was in college, he and the
professor's daughter were dating (it ended when she sent out of the
state to visit an "aunt" - I can't remember if she was in a "delicate
medical condition", i.e., she gave up the baby for adoption, or she had
a "delicate medical procedure" i.e., she had an abortion). He talks the
professor into the deal (the professor will get to write a PAPER!) and
he, the professor, the professor's daughter, and the fisherman travel to
southern Sweden (the part that used to belong to Denmark and is also the
fisherman's home territory) on the fisherman's boat to find the tomb of
Beowulf (the professor has a theory on where it is but had never been
able to raise funding to investigate). BTW, the professor's daughter is
NOT interested in our protagonist anymore. They find the tomb, but not
very much dragon treasure, because it appears that a local family had
been using it as piggybank for centuries.

4) This one is also not SF. A Danish adventurer is hired by an agent of
a great power to be a spy in a brand new Third World country. It turns
out that another great power is intriguing with dissidents in a region
of that country. It is sent in 1785 (give or take a year), the Third
World country is USA, the first great power is Great Britain, the 2nd is
Spain, and the dissidents is the still born state of Franklin (the
residents of what is now eastern Tennessee weren't happy with North
Carolina's state government).

5) This might a conflation of two unrelated books, both set in Egypt.
Thread one (or book one) is set in an upperclass manor, IIRC, near the
eastern edge of the Nile Delta during the Ptolemaic dynasty (though it
might had been set in the 6 decades period between Egypt's revolt
against the Persians and the reconquest). IIRC, the protagonist was a
daughter of the lord. I don't remember much of the plot, but the letter
that that a widow of a pharaoh sent to the king of the Hittites is
mentioned (the son he sent was killed close by). The second thread (or
book) is set in the 20th century and features an archeological dig of an
upperclass manor in the Nile Delta (if this is the second thread, it is
the same manor that is in the first thread).

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Various YASIDs

<t2sker$oak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71676&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71676

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Various YASIDs
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:48:59 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 18:48 UTC

On 09/04/2022 12.43, Robert Woodward wrote:
> I must admit that only the first two could be Science Fiction or
> Fantasy. I read all of these decades ago, probably in the early to mid
> 1960s. IIRC, I previously posted the first two requests about 2 decades
> ago.
>
> 1) This is definitely SF. I believe that there were 2 plot threads. In
> the first, somebody couldn't find a book he remembered reading (no
> evidence that it even existed). The second thread involved time
> travelers who change the timeline from time to time (the character in
> the first thread appears to be unique in that he remembers events of the
> previous timeline). Eventually, the character in the first thread is
> killed; the time travelers make a change in the past which result in him
> not being killed (IIRC, this was just a side effect), and the character
> in the first thread remembers being killed.

This should be one of Poul Anderson's Time Patrol stories. However,
it is not. Maybe he wrote it in a different time line.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Always use apostrophe's and "quotation marks" properly.

Re: Various YASIDs

<28f8e6c2-8de4-4fda-a652-e390bda49ba1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71691&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71691

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 17:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynanc...@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 00:26 UTC

On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 2:49:03 PM UTC-4, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 09/04/2022 12.43, Robert Woodward wrote:
> > I must admit that only the first two could be Science Fiction or
> > Fantasy. I read all of these decades ago, probably in the early to mid
> > 1960s. IIRC, I previously posted the first two requests about 2 decades
> > ago.
> >
> > 1) This is definitely SF. I believe that there were 2 plot threads. In
> > the first, somebody couldn't find a book he remembered reading (no
> > evidence that it even existed). The second thread involved time
> > travelers who change the timeline from time to time (the character in
> > the first thread appears to be unique in that he remembers events of the
> > previous timeline). Eventually, the character in the first thread is
> > killed; the time travelers make a change in the past which result in him
> > not being killed (IIRC, this was just a side effect), and the character
> > in the first thread remembers being killed.
> This should be one of Poul Anderson's Time Patrol stories. However,
> it is not. Maybe he wrote it in a different time line.

Hm - I was thinking it was either an Anderson Time Patrol story -- which
you have ruled out, thank you -- or one of Leiber's Change War stories.
- Tony

Re: Various YASIDs

<25f3a7eb-3c20-461d-aa23-4de45ca3196cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71696&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71696

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 00:27:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 07:27 UTC

Going by <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hemingway_Hoax>
you could be remembering it very badly as #1??
Or did I say that before?

Re: Various YASIDs

<robertaw-2CD2D2.09442210042022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71711&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71711

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:44:22 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:44 UTC

In article <25f3a7eb-3c20-461d-aa23-4de45ca3196cn@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

> Going by <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hemingway_Hoax>
> you could be remembering it very badly as #1??
> Or did I say that before?

Ahem, I said that I had read it in the 1960s; that title was published
in 1990 (and I know that I never read _The Hemingway Hoax_).

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Various YASIDs

<robertaw-92B8F3.09482310042022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71712&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71712

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:48:23 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:48 UTC

In article <28f8e6c2-8de4-4fda-a652-e390bda49ba1n@googlegroups.com>,
Tony Nance <tonynance17@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 2:49:03 PM UTC-4, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> > On 09/04/2022 12.43, Robert Woodward wrote:
> > > I must admit that only the first two could be Science Fiction or
> > > Fantasy. I read all of these decades ago, probably in the early to mid
> > > 1960s. IIRC, I previously posted the first two requests about 2 decades
> > > ago.
> > >
> > > 1) This is definitely SF. I believe that there were 2 plot threads. In
> > > the first, somebody couldn't find a book he remembered reading (no
> > > evidence that it even existed). The second thread involved time
> > > travelers who change the timeline from time to time (the character in
> > > the first thread appears to be unique in that he remembers events of the
> > > previous timeline). Eventually, the character in the first thread is
> > > killed; the time travelers make a change in the past which result in him
> > > not being killed (IIRC, this was just a side effect), and the character
> > > in the first thread remembers being killed.
> > This should be one of Poul Anderson's Time Patrol stories. However,
> > it is not. Maybe he wrote it in a different time line.
> >

> Hm - I was thinking it was either an Anderson Time Patrol story -- which
> you have ruled out, thank you -- or one of Leiber's Change War stories.

It is not any of the Time Patrol stories (I have read the whole set
fairly recently), nor _Corridors of Time_, nor any other Anderson title
that I know of. Also, it was a novel and, except for _The Big Time_
(which doesn't fit the description at all), all of Leiber's Change War
stories are much shorter than that.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Various YASIDs

<t2vn62$1alr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71719&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71719

From: dav...@qimr.edu.au (David Duffy)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 22:53:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Duffy - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 22:53 UTC

Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:

> 1) This is definitely SF. I believe that there were 2 plot threads. In
> the first, somebody couldn't find a book he remembered reading (no
> evidence that it even existed).

And does he ask random people about it on the internet, with no useful