If you find a solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.

arts / alt.history.what-if / What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the evil 'wokesters'?

SubjectAuthor
* What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 toa425couple
+* Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 toDimensional Traveler
|`* Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 toa425couple
| `* Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 toDimensional Traveler
|  `- Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the eLouis Epstein
`- Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 - idea ofa425couple

1
What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the evil 'wokesters'?

<7vHWK.476685$iiS8.318580@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7178&group=alt.history.what-if#7178

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.what-if
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 to
avoid the evil 'wokesters'?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 10:05:06 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:05 UTC

What could Queen Elizabeth done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the
evil 'wokesters'?
(Or at least, as I recall, the rules say topics should be 20 years
old? !!)
IMHO, this "woke" Uju Anya is evil.

from
What If 'Wokeness' was not allowed as an excuse to 'meanness' ?

The quote is “I heard the chief monarch of a thieving raping
genocidal empire is finally dying. May her pain be excruciating.”

I do not recall any acts that Queen Elizabeth II did that extended
any thieving and raping by the British Empire.

from
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2022/09/12/carnegie-mellon-university-professor-tweet-queen-elizabeth-ii-uju-anya-free-speech-higher-education/stories/202209110207

Thousands sign petition defending Carnegie Mellon University professor
whose tweet about dying queen went viral
Photo of Bill Schackner
BILL SCHACKNER
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
bschackner@post-gazette.com
SEP 12, 2022 7:53 AM
This story will be updated.

Nearly 4,000 people have signed a petition defending Uju Anya, a
Carnegie Mellon University professor whose viral tweet about a dying
queen Elizabeth II — wishing her “excruciating” pain — drew scorn but
also touched off a debate about free speech on college campuses.

The signees — a mix of academics and alumni from various institutions in
the U.S. and beyond — say Ms. Anya is a highly accomplished scholar and
a force for diversity, equity and inclusion in the field of linguistics.

The electronic petition and an accompanying letter said Ms. Anya’s
tweet, sent from her personal Twitter account, spoke to personal anguish
the Nigerian-born scholar still feels about atrocities by the British
Empire decades ago that touched her family.

In this December 2012 file photo, Britain's Queen Elizabeth II looks up
and waves to members of staff of The Foreign and Commonwealth Office as
she ends an official visit which is part of her Jubilee celebrations in
London.
Bill Schackner

Carnegie Mellon professor’s critical tweet about the queen causes
firestorm over social media and free campus speech
“As colleagues at other institutions, one thing that sticks out to us is
that universities have nothing to gain by calling out individual
employees on free speech—especially when they can be seen doing it
selectively—as is the case for CMU. Professor Anya’s twitter clearly
states: ‘Views are mine,’” the letter reads in part. “Yet, her
institution took up the charge to admonish a Black woman professor,
calling her response to her lived experiences of the real and tangible
impacts of colonialism and white supremacy, ‘offensive and
objectionable.’ This is unacceptable and dehumanizing.

“Simultaneously, the institution arguing that Professor Anya’s critical
reflections were ‘not representative of the level of discourse at CMU’
forces us to ask: Where is the space for this sort of discourse if not
within the free speech that academia purports to uplift?”

Ms. Anya’s tweet, sent shortly before the queen’s death was announced
Thursday, set off a furor online. Some called her remarks disgusting,
ill-timed and unjustified.

Her initial tweet read, “I heard the chief monarch of a thieving raping
genocidal empire is finally dying. May her pain be excruciating.”

In a statement Thursday, Carnegie Mellon said free expression is at the
core of the mission of higher education — but also said it does not
condone the message.

The tweet that sparked the outrage as well as reactions to it from all
sides speak to conflicted feelings in parts of the world about British
empire rule and colonization in a period that included the 1950s when
the Queen ascended to the throne.

In many quarters of the world, she was revered as a monarch of grace,
longevity and resilience. But her death also has brought to the surface
lingering bitterness in parts of Africa, Asia and the Caribbean, The
Associated Press reported.

Queen Elizabeth II in 2011.
Jesse Bunch
Carnegie Mellon University professor's critical tweet about Queen
Elizabeth II goes viral
For instance, The AP wrote that in Kenya, where decades earlier a young
Elizabeth learned of her father’s death and her new role as queen, a
lawyer named Alice Mugo shared online a photograph of a fading document
from 1956. It was issued four years into the queen’s reign, The AP
wrote, and well into Britain’s harsh response to the Mau Mau rebellion
against colonial rule.

“Movement permit,” the document read, according to The AP. More than
100,000 Kenyans were rounded up in camps under grim conditions, and
others, like Mugo’s grandmother, were forced to request British
permission to go from place to place.

“Most of our grandparents were oppressed,” Mugo tweeted in the hours
after the queen’s death Thursday. “I cannot mourn.”

Ms. Anya told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in an email Friday that she is
the child and sibling of survivors of genocide in her native Nigeria.

“From 1967-1970, more than 3 million civilians were massacred when the
Igbo people of Nigeria tried to form the independent nation of Biafra,”
she wrote. “Those slaughtered included members of my family. I was born
in the immediate aftermath of this genocide.”

But others saw her tweet as unforgivable, coming as England had just
entered a national period of mourning over the 96-year-old queen. Some
called for Carnegie Mellon to discipline or fire her. The school issued
a statement repudiating the tweet by Ms. Anya, the associate professor
of second language acquisition.

“We do not condone the offensive and objectionable messages posted by
Uju Anya today on her personal social media account. Free expression is
core to the mission of higher education, however, the views she shared
absolutely do not represent the values of the institution, nor the
standards of discourse we seek to foster.”

University officials have not said if she will face sanctions.

The Philadelphia-based Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression
has urged Carnegie Mellon President Farnam Jahanian in a letter not to
sanction Ms. Anya, even if her words were offensive.

Bill Schackner: bschackner@post-gazette.com, 412-263-1977 and on Twitter
@Bschackner

First Published September 12, 2022, 7:53am

Queen Elizabeth II in a 2018 file photo1NEWS
Thousands sign petition defending Carnegie Mellon professor whose tweet
about dying queen went viral

Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the evil 'wokesters'?

<tgfo50$1stn8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7179&group=alt.history.what-if#7179

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.what-if
avoid the evil 'wokesters'?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:20:01 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 19:20 UTC

On 9/21/2022 10:05 AM, a425couple wrote:
> What could Queen Elizabeth done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the
> evil 'wokesters'?

Nothing. The UK Monarch can't control international cultural changes.

dirty old man.

Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the evil 'wokesters'?

<HLKWK.226100$PRW4.120756@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7180&group=alt.history.what-if#7180

avoid the evil 'wokesters'?
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.what-if
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:47:35 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 20:47 UTC

On 09/21/2022 12:20 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 9/21/2022 10:05 AM, a425couple wrote:
>> What could Queen Elizabeth done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the
>> evil 'wokesters'?
>
> Nothing.  The UK Monarch can't control international cultural changes.

So then, can we all pick up rocks to stone the self righteous
mean spirited people like the 'woke' Uju Anya?

Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 - idea of Royal Reparations

<gVKWK.430678$6Il8.265870@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7181&group=alt.history.what-if#7181

Subject: Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 - idea of
Royal Reparations
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.what-if
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:57:47 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 20:57 UTC

On 09/21/2022 10:05 AM, a425couple wrote:
> What could Queen Elizabeth done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the
> evil 'wokesters'?
>   (Or at least, as I recall, the rules say topics should be 20 years
> old? !!)
> IMHO, this "woke" Uju Anya is evil.
>
> from
> What If 'Wokeness' was not allowed as an excuse to 'meanness' ?
>
> The quote is “I heard the chief monarch of a thieving raping
> genocidal empire is finally dying. May her pain be excruciating.”
>
> I do not recall any acts that Queen Elizabeth II did that extended
> any thieving and raping by the British Empire.
>
> from
> https://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2022/09/12/carnegie-mellon-university-professor-tweet-queen-elizabeth-ii-uju-anya-free-speech-higher-education/stories/202209110207
>
> Thousands sign petition defending Carnegie Mellon University professor
> whose tweet about dying queen went viral

Kind of along the same line:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/don-lemon-roasted-royal-expert-answer-britain-paying-reparations-ready

Don Lemon roasted over royal expert's answer on Britain paying
reparations: 'He was not ready for this'
CNN clip goes viral as guest pushes back on the crown owing slavery
reparations
By Gabriel Hays | Fox News

Don Lemon schooled by Royals expert on the topic of Britain paying
‘reparations’
NEW
You can now listen to Fox News articles!

Listen to this article
0:00 / 3:46
1X
BeyondWords

British royals expert Hilary Fordwich stunned CNN anchor Don Lemon into
silence with her argument that African slave owners owe "reparations"
rather than the British Empire, in a viral clip from CNN’s coverage of
the death of the queen.

Conservatives on Twitter found the clip hilarious, as it depicted Lemon
getting swift pushback for trying to promote the narrative that the
British crown owes reparations for slavery.

Observers noted Lemon meekly switching topics without protest after
Fordwich’s unexpected response

The clip, which gained viral attention on Tuesday though it originally
aired on CNN's "Don Lemon Tonight" around a week ago, began with the
host telling Fordwich that "you have those who are asking for
reparations for colonialism, and they’re wondering, you know, ‘$100
billion, $24 billion here and there, $500 million there.’"

QUEEN ELIZABETH II INSIGNIA MISSING FROM PRINCE HARRY'S UNIFORM, WORN BY
PRINCE WILLIAM, PRINCE ANDREW

CNN anchor Don Lemon received a massive rebuttal from British royals
commentator Hilary Fordwich to his claim that many are seeking
reparations from the British crown for slavery.
CNN anchor Don Lemon received a massive rebuttal from British royals
commentator Hilary Fordwich to his claim that many are seeking
reparations from the British crown for slavery.
"Some people want to be paid back and members of the public are
wondering, ‘Why are we suffering when you are, you have all this vast
wealth?’ Those are legitimate concerns," Lemon stated.

Fordwich agreed that the desire for reparations is alive and well,
though those who want it can look to African slavers.

"Well I think you’re right about reparations in terms of – if people
want it though, what they need to do is, you always need to go back to
the beginning of the supply chain. Where was the beginning of the supply
chain?" she asked.

"That was in Africa," she continued. "Across the entire world, when
slavery was taking place, which was the first nation in the world that
abolished slavery?" It was "the British," Fordwich declared, adding, "In
Great Britain they abolished slavery. 2,000 naval men died on the high
seas trying to stop slavery. Why? Because the African kings were
rounding up their own people. They had them [in] cages, waiting in the
beaches."

She concluded, "I think you’re totally right. If reparations need to be
paid, we need to go right back to the beginning of that supply chain and
say, ‘Who was rounding up their own people and having them handcuffed in
cages. Absolutely, that’s where they should start."

After her answer, Lemon provided no pushback. He simply nodded,
mentioned it’s "an interesting discussion" and moved to the next
segment. As Twitter users pointed out, his silence was remarkable
considering the anchor is one of the media’s most partisan personalities.

-------------------
Don Lemon, CNN's morning man?Video
"HOLY MOLY DON LEMON WAS *NOT* READY FOR THIS," wrote National Pulse
editor-in-chief Raheem Kassam.

"Dilbert" comics creator Scott Adams mocked Lemon’s unenthused facial
expressions after hearing Fordwich’s historical lesson.

"His face at the end is the payoff," Adams remarked.

Independent journalist Tim Pool tweeted, "Lol at Don lemons face hearing
this s---."

Conservative personality Former Republican congressional candidate
Kimberly Klacik tweeted, "Don Lemon was NOT ready."

Conservative commentator Allie Beth Stuckey wrote, "Ok this is amazing.
Don Lemon brings up the need for slave reparations from the royal
family. His guest says, yes, people should be demanding reparations…
from the African leaders who sold them into slavery."

"This is so spectacularly perfect that it’s almost as if Lemon was set
up," remarked author and podcaster Dave Rubin.

BODY LANGUAGE EXPERT ANALYZES MEGHAN MARKLE AT QUEEN’S FUNERAL

Prince Andrew, King Charles III, Camilla, the Queen Consort, Princess
Anne and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence look on as the Duke of Hamilton
places the Crown of Scotland on Queen Elizabeth's coffin during the
service of prayer and reflection at St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh,
Sept. 12, 2022.

Conservative commentator Jason Howerton quipped, "Sure sex is great, but
have you seen the look on @donlemon's face after getting utterly REKT
on-air on slavery reparations?"

"And NOW you know why Don Lemon was demoted. He's just not a very smart
man. Way to go @donlemon," wrote radio host Joe Pagliarulo.

CPAC chair Matt Schlapp asked, "And how about reparations to those who
fought alongside former slaves to abolish American slavery? According
[to] Lemon’s logic Democrats would need to pay reparations to
Republicans. Kinda like it."

Gabriel Hays is an associate editor at Fox News. Follow him on Twitter
at @gabrieljhays.

Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the evil 'wokesters'?

<tgg7j7$1ubmp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7182&group=alt.history.what-if#7182

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.what-if
avoid the evil 'wokesters'?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:43:38 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 23:43 UTC

On 9/21/2022 1:47 PM, a425couple wrote:
> On 09/21/2022 12:20 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 9/21/2022 10:05 AM, a425couple wrote:
>>> What could Queen Elizabeth done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the
>>> evil 'wokesters'?
>>
>> Nothing.  The UK Monarch can't control international cultural changes.
>>

> So then, can we all pick up rocks to stone the self righteous
> mean spirited people like the 'woke' Uju Anya?

Personally I have never heard of Uju Anya before now and in the context
really don't care.

dirty old man.

Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the evil 'wokesters'?

<tgl028$873$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7183&group=alt.history.what-if#7183

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.what-if
Subject: Re: What could Queen Elizabeth have done differently 1952 to 2002 to avoid the evil 'wokesters'?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:05:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:05 UTC

In alt.history.what-if Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 9/21/2022 1:47 PM, a425couple wrote:
>>>
>>> Nothing.? The UK Monarch can't control international cultural changes.
>>>

>> So then, can we all pick up rocks to stone the self righteous
>> mean spirited people like the 'woke' Uju Anya?
>
> Personally I have never heard of Uju Anya before now and in the context
> really don't care.

I am sure history will continue to care far less about Uju Anya
than Elizabeth II.

-=-=-