From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Carrero Blanco Survives
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 02:42:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 02:42 UTC

In December 1973 Francisco Franco's right-hand man Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco,
Prime Minister of the Falangist Spanish regime,was assassinated and had
to be replaced by the less forceful Carlos Arias Navarro,who went along
with the desires of King Juan Carlos for substantial democratization,
which it is believed that Carrero Blanco would have resisted.

What would have happened if the assassination attempt had
1)failed
or
2)not happened?

-=-=-

Re: Carrero Blanco Survives

<tiilmp$40e$2@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7185&group=alt.history.what-if#7185

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Re: Carrero Blanco Survives
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 04:29:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 04:29 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
> In December 1973 Francisco Franco's right-hand man Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco,
> Prime Minister of the Falangist Spanish regime,was assassinated and had
> to be replaced by the less forceful Carlos Arias Navarro,who went along
> with the desires of King Juan Carlos for substantial democratization,
> which it is believed that Carrero Blanco would have resisted.
>
> What would have happened if the assassination attempt had
> 1)failed
> or
> 2)not happened?

Does no one have thoughts on this?
> -=-=-
> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Carrero Blanco Survives

<bsupkhlgb9978lrj3rr475tmh8tq0odp0c@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7186&group=alt.history.what-if#7186

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 23:55:17 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 06:55 UTC

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 04:29:13 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
<le@top.put.com> wrote:

>Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>> In December 1973 Francisco Franco's right-hand man Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco,
>> Prime Minister of the Falangist Spanish regime,was assassinated and had
>> to be replaced by the less forceful Carlos Arias Navarro,who went along
>> with the desires of King Juan Carlos for substantial democratization,
>> which it is believed that Carrero Blanco would have resisted.
>>
>> What would have happened if the assassination attempt had
>> 1)failed
>> or
>> 2)not happened?
>
>Does no one have thoughts on this?
>
>> -=-=-
>> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
>> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

My personal view is that (a) by the 1970s it was faiarly clear that
once Franco was gone Spain joining the EU was possible and that
economically it would be in Spain's interests to do whatever was
required to get it. Spain might still be "Fascist" but it would be a
very long way from 1936 just as modern day China is a very long way
from Marx + Engels and (b) In my opinion Portugal would have gone
whichever way Spain went within 5 years of Spain doing so

Re: Carrero Blanco Survives

<tjf4g3$t9c$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7191&group=alt.history.what-if#7191

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 23:33:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 23:33 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 04:29:13 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
> <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>
>>Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>>> In December 1973 Francisco Franco's right-hand man Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco,
>>> Prime Minister of the Falangist Spanish regime,was assassinated and had
>>> to be replaced by the less forceful Carlos Arias Navarro,who went along
>>> with the desires of King Juan Carlos for substantial democratization,
>>> which it is believed that Carrero Blanco would have resisted.
>>>
>>> What would have happened if the assassination attempt had
>>> 1)failed
>>> or
>>> 2)not happened?
>>
>>Does no one have thoughts on this?
>>

> My personal view is that (a) by the 1970s it was faiarly clear that
> once Franco was gone Spain joining the EU was possible and that

In 1973 it was years from becoming "The EU".

> economically it would be in Spain's interests to do whatever was
> required to get it. Spain might still be "Fascist" but it would be a
> very long way from 1936 just as modern day China is a very long way
> from Marx + Engels and

It seems to be going back and forth on how far from Mao
it is,though...