Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE

SubjectAuthor
* SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSEBill Anderson
+- Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSEted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
`* Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSEmoviePig
 +* Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSEBill Anderson
 |`* Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSEwilliam ahearn
 | `- Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSEBill Anderson
 `- Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSEmoviePig

1
SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE

<3LydnY9QBdDqARv5nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7189&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#7189

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE
From: billande...@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 04:17:59 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 04:17 UTC

It’s a cartoon, it’s a superhero movie, I am 76 years old, and it wasn’t
made for me. But I kept seeing comments on the artwork that made me think
it might be worth a look. I have to say the animation is astonishing. I
didn’t care a thing about the Spider-Man story, but I was blown away by the
style of the animation. I have never seen anything like it except maybe in
the comic book medium which I stopped looking at around 1963 give or take a
year or two. About 20 minutes into the movie I realized I did not have to
care about the plot or the characters in order to enjoy the riot of art
pouring onto me from the screen. This movie will win an Academy award for
animation. You read it here first.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE

<keno3oFe44eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7190&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#7190

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE
Date: 12 Jun 2023 05:17:44 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 05:17 UTC

In article <3LydnY9QBdDqARv5nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>,
Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
>It’s a cartoon, it’s a superhero movie, I am 76 years old, and it wasn’t
>made for me. But I kept seeing comments on the artwork that made me think
>it might be worth a look. I have to say the animation is astonishing. I
>didn’t care a thing about the Spider-Man story, but I was blown away by the
>style of the animation. I have never seen anything like it except maybe in
>the comic book medium which I stopped looking at around 1963 give or take a
>year or two. About 20 minutes into the movie I realized I did not have to
>care about the plot or the characters in order to enjoy the riot of art
>pouring onto me from the screen. This movie will win an Academy award for
>animation. You read it here first.
>
>--
>Bill Anderson
>
>I am the Mighty Favog

I tried to see it Friday night and they gave me a Transformers ticket
(Sheesh, this trailer for the new Transformers movie is running way long...)

Finally saw it Sunday. Great movie if a bit long. I would say that
Spider-Gwen is the co-lead in this one, and she earns it. The only other
issue was just when I'm thinkiing "How are they going to bring this in
for a landing with so much going on?", we get a To Be Continued.

I'm in.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE

<GNFhM.15759$sXTc.2856@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7191&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#7191

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 10:17:10 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 14:17 UTC

On 6/12/2023 12:17 AM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> It’s a cartoon, it’s a superhero movie, I am 76 years old, and it wasn’t
> made for me. But I kept seeing comments on the artwork that made me think
> it might be worth a look. I have to say the animation is astonishing. I
> didn’t care a thing about the Spider-Man story, but I was blown away by the
> style of the animation. I have never seen anything like it except maybe in
> the comic book medium which I stopped looking at around 1963 give or take a
> year or two. About 20 minutes into the movie I realized I did not have to
> care about the plot or the characters in order to enjoy the riot of art
> pouring onto me from the screen. This movie will win an Academy award for
> animation. You read it here first.

Okay, I went and watched this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shW9i6k8cB0

Have I "seen" the movie?

Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE

<NOSdnTydZ8k6qBr5nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7192&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#7192

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: billande...@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:11:35 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:11 UTC

moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
> On 6/12/2023 12:17 AM, Bill Anderson wrote:
>> It’s a cartoon, it’s a superhero movie, I am 76 years old, and it wasn’t
>> made for me. But I kept seeing comments on the artwork that made me think
>> it might be worth a look. I have to say the animation is astonishing. I
>> didn’t care a thing about the Spider-Man story, but I was blown away by the
>> style of the animation. I have never seen anything like it except maybe in
>> the comic book medium which I stopped looking at around 1963 give or take a
>> year or two. About 20 minutes into the movie I realized I did not have to
>> care about the plot or the characters in order to enjoy the riot of art
>> pouring onto me from the screen. This movie will win an Academy award for
>> animation. You read it here first.
>
> Okay, I went and watched this trailer:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shW9i6k8cB0
>
> Have I "seen" the movie?

Pretty much, I guess.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE

<a22b1cb5-c662-44ff-9129-a950aad0c0f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7193&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#7193

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 08:15:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: wlahe...@gmail.com (william ahearn)
 by: william ahearn - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:15 UTC

On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 11:11:48 AM UTC-4, Bill Anderson wrote:

> Pretty much, I guess.

Thanks, porkpie. I was tempted. Now I'm not.

Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE

<HdHhM.18904$MDLb.6314@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7194&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#7194

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 11:55:19 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:55 UTC

On 6/12/2023 10:17 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 6/12/2023 12:17 AM, Bill Anderson wrote:
>> It’s a cartoon, it’s a superhero movie, I am 76 years old, and it wasn’t
>> made for me. But I kept seeing comments on the artwork that made me think
>> it might be worth a look. I have to say the animation is astonishing. I
>> didn’t care a thing about the Spider-Man story, but I was blown away
>> by the
>> style of the animation. I have never seen anything like it except
>> maybe in
>> the comic book medium which I stopped looking at around 1963 give or
>> take a
>> year or two. About 20 minutes into the movie I realized I did not have to
>> care about the plot or the characters in order to enjoy the riot of art
>> pouring onto me from the screen.  This movie will win an Academy award
>> for
>> animation. You read it here first.
>
> Okay, I went and watched this trailer:
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shW9i6k8cB0
>
> Have I "seen" the movie?

Re animation, I gotta mention my Luddite reservations about
computer-assisted animation and visual f/x. I've yet to have a modern
CGI "showcase" scene prompt the same degree of excitement as older
fantasy movies used to whenever the image shifted to optical-printer
quality, signaling an imminent "creature" confrontation (...a subliminal
cue I herewith dub the 'Harryhausen harbinger'.)

Re: SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE

<l6qdnTecZMdX3Rr5nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7195&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#7195

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: billande...@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:59:06 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:59 UTC

william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 11:11:48 AM UTC-4, Bill Anderson wrote:
>
>> Pretty much, I guess.
>
> Thanks, porkpie. I was tempted. Now I'm not.

I hate that, as I am glad I overcame my reluctance and just went ahead and
watched the thing. I came away pleasantly surprised by how much I admired
the artistry and the brilliant imagination it took to pull it all off. I
haven’t watched much Japanese anime (I considered Howl’s Moving Castle a
waste of my time) so maybe I’m just unaware that the look of this movie is
derivative of something or other. All I can say is that I bailed at the 20
minute point and then reconsidered and went back and watched it all and I’m
glad I did. Maybe the bourbon had something to do with it.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog