From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Lazy Sun is less energetic than compost" by Dr. Karl
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 15:49:19 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:49 UTC

"Lazy Sun is less energetic than compost" by Dr. Karl
https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/04/17/3478276.htm

"The Sun is a seething ball of hot gas about 150 million kilometres
away. The Sun is such a mighty beast, that in 11.5 seconds, it dumps
enough energy on our little planet to satisfy all our Earthly energy
needs for one day. Every second, the Sun burns 620 million tonnes of
hydrogen and turns it into about 616 million tonnes of helium. That
leaves about four million tonnes missing. Three million of those tonnes
are turned into energy (heat, light etc), obeying Einstein's famous
'E=mc2' equation. And one million tonnes are spewed out from that
throbbing ball of hot gas as high-energy charged particles — such as
protons and electrons."

"Let me give you a handle on how much mass the Sun has 'burnt' so far.
The Sun is about 4.7 billion years old — about half-way through its
'life span'. So far, it has burnt the equivalent of about 100 times the
mass of the Earth. But the Sun is massive — its mass is about 330,000
times the mass of the Earth. So 100 times the mass of the Earth hardly
makes a dent."

Lynn

Re: "Lazy Sun is less energetic than compost" by Dr. Karl

<jc3dalFca3sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72023&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72023

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 17 Apr 2022 20:57:57 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:57 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JdWlSF195Y
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Lazy Sun is less energetic than compost" by Dr. Karl

<t3im3f$gav$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72046&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72046

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:31:55 +1200
 by: Titus G - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:31 UTC

On 18/04/22 08:57, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <t3hugf$2vh$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Lazy Sun is less energetic than compost" by Dr. Karl
>> https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/04/17/3478276.htm
>>
>> "The Sun is a seething ball of hot gas about 150 million kilometres
>> away. The Sun is such a mighty beast, that in 11.5 seconds, it dumps
>> enough energy on our little planet to satisfy all our Earthly energy
>> needs for one day. Every second, the Sun burns 620 million tonnes of
>> hydrogen and turns it into about 616 million tonnes of helium. That
>> leaves about four million tonnes missing. Three million of those tonnes
>> are turned into energy (heat, light etc), obeying Einstein's famous
>> 'E=mc2' equation. And one million tonnes are spewed out from that
>> throbbing ball of hot gas as high-energy charged particles — such as
>> protons and electrons."
>>
>> "Let me give you a handle on how much mass the Sun has 'burnt' so far.
>> The Sun is about 4.7 billion years old — about half-way through its
>> 'life span'. So far, it has burnt the equivalent of about 100 times the
>> mass of the Earth. But the Sun is massive — its mass is about 330,000
>> times the mass of the Earth. So 100 times the mass of the Earth hardly
>> makes a dent."
>>
>> Lynn
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JdWlSF195Y

Oops. They later apologised for their incorrect 1950's science.
See:
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/theymightbegiants/whydoesthesunreallyshine.html

Re: "Lazy Sun is less energetic than compost" by Dr. Karl

<jc4697FgjhrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72048&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72048

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 18 Apr 2022 04:03:51 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 04:03 UTC

In article <t3im3f$gav$1@dont-email.me>, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>On 18/04/22 08:57, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <t3hugf$2vh$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Lazy Sun is less energetic than compost" by Dr. Karl
>>> https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/04/17/3478276.htm
>>>
>>> "The Sun is a seething ball of hot gas about 150 million kilometres
>>> away. The Sun is such a mighty beast, that in 11.5 seconds, it dumps
>>> enough energy on our little planet to satisfy all our Earthly energy
>>> needs for one day. Every second, the Sun burns 620 million tonnes of
>>> hydrogen and turns it into about 616 million tonnes of helium. That
>>> leaves about four million tonnes missing. Three million of those tonnes
>>> are turned into energy (heat, light etc), obeying Einstein's famous
>>> 'E=mc2' equation. And one million tonnes are spewed out from that
>>> throbbing ball of hot gas as high-energy charged particles — such as
>>> protons and electrons."
>>>
>>> "Let me give you a handle on how much mass the Sun has 'burnt' so far.
>>> The Sun is about 4.7 billion years old — about half-way through its
>>> 'life span'. So far, it has burnt the equivalent of about 100 times the
>>> mass of the Earth. But the Sun is massive — its mass is about 330,000
>>> times the mass of the Earth. So 100 times the mass of the Earth hardly
>>> makes a dent."
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JdWlSF195Y
>
>Oops. They later apologised for their incorrect 1950's science.
>See:
>https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/theymightbegiants/whydoesthesunreallyshine.html

Well, it wasn't *their* science:

The title song is a cover of a song by Hy Zaret from Tom Glazer's
1959 album Space Songs. The lyrics for the refrain appear
verbatim in the 1951 Golden Nature Guide Stars.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Lazy Sun is less energetic than compost" by Dr. Karl

<t3ipi1$2f5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72049&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72049

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:30:54 +1200
 by: Titus G - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 04:30 UTC

On 18/04/22 16:03, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <t3im3f$gav$1@dont-email.me>, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> On 18/04/22 08:57, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JdWlSF195Y
>>
>> Oops. They later apologised for their incorrect 1950's science.
>> See:
>> https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/theymightbegiants/whydoesthesunreallyshine.html
>
> Well, it wasn't *their* science:
>
> The title song is a cover of a song by Hy Zaret from Tom Glazer's
> 1959 album Space Songs. The lyrics for the refrain appear
> verbatim in the 1951 Golden Nature Guide Stars.

Yes. From my brief reading, I understand that they were criticised for
performing it long after the details had been proven incorrect and hence
the apology in the follow up.

Re: "Lazy Sun is less energetic than compost" by Dr. Karl

<t3jtil$cm2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72058&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72058

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:45:41 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:45 UTC

On 17/04/2022 23.03, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <t3im3f$gav$1@dont-email.me>, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> On 18/04/22 08:57, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JdWlSF195Y
>>
>> Oops. They later apologised for their incorrect 1950's science.
>> See:
>> https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/theymightbegiants/whydoesthesunreallyshine.html
>
> Well, it wasn't *their* science:
>
> The title song is a cover of a song by Hy Zaret from Tom Glazer's
> 1959 album Space Songs. The lyrics for the refrain appear
> verbatim in the 1951 Golden Nature Guide Stars.

I noticed them saying "gas" instead of "plasma" but didn't think that it
was that significant for a throw-away tune.

--
Michael F. Stemper
No animals were harmed in the composition of this message.