From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Treecat Wars (3) (Star Kingdom)" by David Weber and Jane Lindskold
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:05:53 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:05 UTC

"Treecat Wars (3) (Star Kingdom)" by David Weber and Jane Lindskold
https://www.amazon.com/Treecat-Wars-Star-Kingdom-Weber/dp/1476736634/

Book number three of a four book young adult space opera series. This
series is part of the huge Honorverse series of books, probably
approaching thirty books now. I reread the well printed and well bound
trade paperback published by Baen in 2014 that I bought in 2014 from
Amazon. I will purchase book four when it comes out in paperback.

Fifteen year old Stephanie Harrington has been living on Sphinx in the
Manticore binary star system for four Terran years. There are barely
two million people living on Sphinx, in part due to the harsh five
Terran year cycle around Manticore-A, and the deadly plagues that
Stephanie's mother was brought in to help cure. Stephanie has bonded
with a treecat she named Lionheart after they fought and killed a five
meter hexapuma together.

Winter is coming to Sphinx. And winter on Sphinx lasts 1.25 Terran
years. The long summer dried out the forests and the fires were many,
killing many of the treecats and burning their food. And searching for
new lands for the damaged clans is dangerous as the path goes through
other clans wary of sharing their food.

The animals on Sphinx are quite unusual, all of them are hexapods, six
legged. The number one predator on the planet is a very dangerous five
meter long feline named the hexapuma. Other predators such as the three
meter near bear exist also. And many uncatalogued mammals also.

My review from 2013: "Book number three in a series of three books. I
do not know if there will be more books in the series. I like the fact
that Baen published this book in trade paperback format with a YA price.
After the great fires across the planet, many of the treecats no longer
have a place to live with available food. Finding a place to live
without existing treecats is not easy and not all treecats are friendly
to clans crossing their land."

The author has an excellent website at:
http://www.davidweber.net/

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (470 reviews)

Lynn