From: dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Comics Kingdom slams down the paywall
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 05:11:29 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Fri, 13 May 2022 05:11 UTC

Now you can view three strips, then it covers the strips with "Keep
Reading with Premium Access". However, the "Buy a Print" link still has the
full sized strip just displayed tiny, so you can right click to open in
another tab and see the full strip anyway...for now, at least.

Given how crappy Comics Kingdom's website has been over the years in
terms of breaking down and stuff, I'm not inclined to give them any money.

Dave Van Domelen, only follows four strips on CK anyway, even if they
plug the loophole.

Re: Comics Kingdom slams down the paywall

<t5krji$1944$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7212&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#7212

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Re: Comics Kingdom slams down the paywall
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 17:50:42 +1200
 by: Your Name - Fri, 13 May 2022 05:50 UTC

On 2022-05-13 05:11:29 +0000, Dave Van Domelen said:

> Now you can view three strips, then it covers the strips with "Keep
> Reading with Premium Access". However, the "Buy a Print" link still has the
> full sized strip just displayed tiny, so you can right click to open in
> another tab and see the full strip anyway...for now, at least.
>
> Given how crappy Comics Kingdom's website has been over the years in
> terms of breaking down and stuff, I'm not inclined to give them any money.
>
> Dave Van Domelen, only follows four strips on CK anyway, even if they
> plug the loophole.

I'm not getting an paywall block. I've just visited about a dozen
different random strips (same author and different authors). Maybe it's
because I use an ad-blocker with my browser.

Re: Comics Kingdom slams down the paywall

<slrnt7t35c.juu.carlf@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7215&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#7215

From: car...@panix.com (Carl Fink)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 16:51:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Carl Fink - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:51 UTC

On 2022-05-13, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2022-05-13 05:11:29 +0000, Dave Van Domelen said:
>
>> Now you can view three strips, then it covers the strips with "Keep
>> Reading with Premium Access". However, the "Buy a Print" link still has the
>> full sized strip just displayed tiny, so you can right click to open in
>> another tab and see the full strip anyway...for now, at least.
>>
>> Given how crappy Comics Kingdom's website has been over the years in
>> terms of breaking down and stuff, I'm not inclined to give them any money.
>>
>> Dave Van Domelen, only follows four strips on CK anyway, even if they
>> plug the loophole.
>
> I'm not getting an paywall block. I've just visited about a dozen
> different random strips (same author and different authors). Maybe it's
> because I use an ad-blocker with my browser.

There are reports that a mere private tab/incognito window can dodge the
strip counter.
--
Carl Fink carl@finknetwork.com
https://reasonablyliterate.com https://nitpicking.com

Re: Comics Kingdom slams down the paywall

<t5mkrv$e8h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7221&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#7221

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 10:07:59 +1200
 by: Your Name - Fri, 13 May 2022 22:07 UTC

On 2022-05-13 16:51:56 +0000, Carl Fink said:

> On 2022-05-13, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-05-13 05:11:29 +0000, Dave Van Domelen said:
>>
>>> Now you can view three strips, then it covers the strips with "Keep
>>> Reading with Premium Access". However, the "Buy a Print" link still has the
>>> full sized strip just displayed tiny, so you can right click to open in
>>> another tab and see the full strip anyway...for now, at least.
>>>
>>> Given how crappy Comics Kingdom's website has been over the years in
>>> terms of breaking down and stuff, I'm not inclined to give them any money.
>>>
>>> Dave Van Domelen, only follows four strips on CK anyway, even if they
>>> plug the loophole.
>>
>> I'm not getting an paywall block. I've just visited about a dozen
>> different random strips (same author and different authors). Maybe it's
>> because I use an ad-blocker with my browser.
>
> There are reports that a mere private tab/incognito window can dodge the
> strip counter.

You could probably find the browser cookie and just delete it as well.
I do that with another website (Wired.com?? I can't remember now) that
tries to make you pay after reading a few articles for free ...
stupidly for them, the cookie uses the same name as the website, so it
is easily found and deleted when the page shows the "pay" message, and
then refreshing the page to read it all.