From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Marching Through Georgia (Draka Novels, 1)" by S. M. Stirling
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:59:46 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 19:59 UTC

"Marching Through Georgia (Draka Novels, 1)" by S. M. Stirling
https://www.amazon.com/Marching-Through-Georgia-Draka-Novels/dp/0671654071/

Book number one of a five book alternate history military fiction
series. I read the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen
in 1988 that I bought used on Amazon. I read the fourth book in the
series recently and am now back tracking. I have acquired the second
and third books in the series and am reading the second book now.

After the American revolutionary war, the British loyalists in the
colonies mostly escaped to Canada. But in a alternate timeline, those
90,000 British loyalists were exiled to the southern tip of Africa at
the direction of George Washington from 1783 to 1786. They took over
the Dutch colony of South Africa as other unwanted groups joined them
and merged into their slave holding culture. They eventually called
themselves the Domination of Draka.

By 1942, the Domination of Draka is 36 million free peoples and 500
million slaves XXXXXX serfs, one quarter of the people on the planet
Earth. They have spread throughout the entire continent of Africa to
Egypt, the middle east (Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia), Turkey, Kazakhstan,
Afghanistan, and they have just completed taking Italy. They have used
their incredible mineral riches to develop and purchase the best weapons
in the world.

Now the Draka are fighting the Germans who have rolled through Russia
since the Soviet Union is no more after the Draka took their southern
satellites. And the Germans are very concerned about the Draka whose
eventual aim is to control the entire planet. The USA is fighting an
all war with the Japanese in the Pacific who have occupied Hawaii since
the Draka subjugated much of China.

The prolific author has a website at:
https://smstirling.com/

The five books of the series are listed at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Domination

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (42 reviews)

Lynn