My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

arts / rec.arts.poems / PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
|+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
|+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
|+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
|+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
|+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
|+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
|+* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
||`- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
|`- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
+* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
|+* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
||`- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
|`- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
+- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
+* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
|`- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
+* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
|`* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
| `* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
|  `* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
|   `* Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeorge J. Dance
|    `- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
`- Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery

Pages:12
PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<tu2pmd$1dsl6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7227&group=rec.arts.poems#7227

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 14:14:21 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 19:14 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

The snow is deep on the ground.
Always the light falls
Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
[...]

(read by Kenneth Patchen)

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

#pennyspoems

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<b7188b5c462e150abb9aa3127b35aac9@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7231&group=rec.arts.poems#7231

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:56:06 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:56 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

> The snow is deep on the ground.
> Always the light falls
> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
> [...]

> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

> #pennyspoems

More Kenneth Patchen... quite excellent, bravo...!

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<4d9507cdd0437cc15c35177a431ef079@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7238&group=rec.arts.poems#7238

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 17:31:30 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 17:31 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>> Always the light falls
>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> [...]

>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

>> #pennyspoems

> More Kenneth Patchen... quite excellent, bravo...!

Agreed, good choice.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<d9b4e48ba8bca8cd8f0751e1989fe373@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7254&group=rec.arts.poems#7254

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:23:13 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:23 UTC

Zod wrote:

>> > I've become a fan of K.P. in these later years....
>> I'm enjoying a revisit of his work, also.

> Patchen is an unsung hero of the Beatnik era...!!

That's literally true.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<2dc344a4f583fbb84681da2adc2c3ac3@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7297&group=rec.arts.poems#7297

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:39:48 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:39 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

> The snow is deep on the ground.
> Always the light falls
> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
> [...]

> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

> #pennyspoems

The fascinating story of Kenneth Patchen's hand painted covers for his poetry books:

https://poets.org/text/kenneth-patchens-painted-poems

"In 1942, unable to pay for an expensive fine-print edition of his book The Dark Kingdom, Patchen designed and painted his own book covers and published a limited edition of 75 copies. This launched a series of nine titles that became known as the "painted books," all with covers individually decorated by Patchen with original paintings and holograph colophons, totaling 956 cover paintings. Other titles in this series were Red Wine & Yellow Hair, Fables and Other Little Tales, and Hurrah for Anything. Patchen went on to make a series of silk-screened poems printed on handmade Japanese paper.

"Like Picasso," wrote Henry Miller in 1946 of his friend Patchen, "he makes use of everything. The innovator and initiator are strong in him....One is no longer looking at a dead, printed book but at something alive and breathing, something which looks back at you with equal astonishment. Novelty is employed not as seduction but like the stern fist of the Zen master to awaken and arouse the consciousness of the reader."

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<08dcac414d3a020732a7cae2b40b9b98@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7336&group=rec.arts.poems#7336

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 22:08:58 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 22:08 UTC

On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 3:40:17 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> George J. Dance wrote:
> >
> > Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> > The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen
>
> > The snow is deep on the ground.
> > Always the light falls
> > Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
> > [...]
>
> > (read by Kenneth Patchen)
>
> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html
>
> > #pennyspoems
> The fascinating story of Kenneth Patchen's hand painted covers for his poetry books:
>
> https://poets.org/text/kenneth-patchens-painted-poems
>
> "In 1942, unable to pay for an expensive fine-print edition of his book The Dark Kingdom, Patchen designed and painted his own book covers and published a limited edition of 75 copies. This launched a series of nine titles that became known as the "painted books," all with covers individually decorated by Patchen with original paintings and holograph colophons, totaling 956 cover paintings. Other titles in this series were Red Wine & Yellow Hair, Fables and Other Little Tales, and Hurrah for Anything. Patchen went on to make a series of silk-screened poems printed on handmade Japanese paper.
>
> "Like Picasso," wrote Henry Miller in 1946 of his friend Patchen, "he makes use of everything. The innovator and initiator are strong in him....One is no longer looking at a dead, printed book but at something alive and breathing, something which looks back at you with equal astonishment. Novelty is employed not as seduction but like the stern fist of the Zen master to awaken and arouse the consciousness of the reader."

K.P. gets more impressive the more his history is explored...!!

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<843cd69b395669ce5853e4e5b0fffd39@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7341&group=rec.arts.poems#7341

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:00:29 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:00 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 3:40:17 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>> >
>> > Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> > The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen
>>
>> > The snow is deep on the ground.
>> > Always the light falls
>> > Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> > [...]
>>
>> > (read by Kenneth Patchen)
>>
>> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html
>>
>> > #pennyspoems
>> The fascinating story of Kenneth Patchen's hand painted covers for his poetry books:
>>
>> https://poets.org/text/kenneth-patchens-painted-poems
>>
>> "In 1942, unable to pay for an expensive fine-print edition of his book The Dark Kingdom, Patchen designed and painted his own book covers and published a limited edition of 75 copies. This launched a series of nine titles that became known as the "painted books," all with covers individually decorated by Patchen with original paintings and holograph colophons, totaling 956 cover paintings. Other titles in this series were Red Wine & Yellow Hair, Fables and Other Little Tales, and Hurrah for Anything. Patchen went on to make a series of silk-screened poems printed on handmade Japanese paper.
>>
>> "Like Picasso," wrote Henry Miller in 1946 of his friend Patchen, "he makes use of everything. The innovator and initiator are strong in him....One is no longer looking at a dead, printed book but at something alive and breathing, something which looks back at you with equal astonishment. Novelty is employed not as seduction but like the stern fist of the Zen master to awaken and arouse the consciousness of the reader."

> K.P. gets more impressive the more his history is explored...!!

Good afternoon, agreed.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<3df75c8bf57633678cb705cf592fc20d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7357&group=rec.arts.poems#7357

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:32:52 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:32 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2023-03-16 5:27 p.m., Zod wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 2:14:23 PM UTC-5, George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen
>>>
>>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>>> Always the light falls
>>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)
>>>
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html
>>>
>>> #pennyspoems
>>
>> This one is good and brings back my memories of visits to Frisco on leave from Navy duty...
>>
>> https://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=Beat_Generation_and_San_Francisco%27s_Culture_of_Dissent
>>

> Yes, it was a good article. A bonus I discovered after reading it is
> that it's Creative Commons licensed, meaning I can use it on the wiki.
> I'm not sure where and how just yet, but it's good to have the option.

Agreed, it'll make an excellent addition to the Beat Generation topic.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<2cc58bdface0bbefef3cea2d89f33fc8@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7411&group=rec.arts.poems#7411

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 21:38:40 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 21:38 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>> Always the light falls
>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> [...]

>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

>> #pennyspoems

> More Kenneth Patchen... quite excellent, bravo...!

Seconded.

:)

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<13aa696f4eabc10a90167e8b07548281@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=8346&group=rec.arts.poems#8346

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 22:24:03 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 22:24 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

> The snow is deep on the ground.
> Always the light falls
> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
> [...]

> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

> #pennyspoems

With 98° heat here in Columbus Georgia, a nice chilly poem is welcome today.

🙂

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<d0793a138e18b97e11bba1c778b40777@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=8895&group=rec.arts.poems#8895

Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 17:09:00 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 17:09 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

> The snow is deep on the ground.
> Always the light falls
> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
> [...]

> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

> #pennyspoems

Interesting to discover that this Jimmy Buffett song is about Kenneth Pathchen:

Death Of An Unpopular Poet / Jimmy Buffett

https://youtu.be/UyZgzOKyLhw?si=cygcWtbp746xLPnf

***

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<daf7c80f57bbde1fd83861c08910d9a0@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=8927&group=rec.arts.poems#8927

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:19:20 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:19 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:
> George J. Dance wrote:
>
> > Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> > The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen
>
> > The snow is deep on the ground.
> > Always the light falls
> > Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
> > [...]
>
> > (read by Kenneth Patchen)
>
> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html
>
> > #pennyspoems
> Interesting to discover that this Jimmy Buffett song is about Kenneth Pathchen:
>
> Death Of An Unpopular Poet / Jimmy Buffett
>
> https://youtu.be/UyZgzOKyLhw?si=cygcWtbp746xLPnf
>
> ***

Quite interesting, I daresay...!

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<ebf43dec16a56cdb6c78885c5db8f196@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=8928&group=rec.arts.poems#8928

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:57:09 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:57 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> > Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> > The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen
>>
>> > The snow is deep on the ground.
>> > Always the light falls
>> > Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> > [...]
>>
>> > (read by Kenneth Patchen)
>>
>> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html
>>
>> > #pennyspoems
>> Interesting to discover that this Jimmy Buffett song is about Kenneth Patchen:
>>
>> Death Of An Unpopular Poet / Jimmy Buffett
>>
>> https://youtu.be/UyZgzOKyLhw?si=cygcWtbp746xLPnf
>>
>> ***

> Quite interesting, I daresay...!

Although I've heard the song quite a few times, I never knew it was about Kenneth Patchen.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<2c567c79c7f64dc41fbff868c70c4a92@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9052&group=rec.arts.poems#9052

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:44:39 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:44 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

> The snow is deep on the ground.
> Always the light falls
> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
> [...]

> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

> #pennyspoems

Another read of a great favorite from the Beat era, Kenneth Patchen...

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<c058be7d0062ecca87a46a751931e5f6@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9094&group=rec.arts.poems#9094

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 02:37:36 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 02:37 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:

>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>> Always the light falls
>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> [...]

>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

>> #pennyspoems

> Another read of a great favorite from the Beat era, Kenneth Patchen...

Good evening, agreed.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<27970a90bc06eb324c8814a1713dbd54@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9171&group=rec.arts.poems#9171

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:56:34 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:56 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>> Always the light falls
>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> [...]

>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

>> #pennyspoems

> The fascinating story of Kenneth Patchen's hand painted covers for his poetry books:

> https://poets.org/text/kenneth-patchens-painted-poems

> "In 1942, unable to pay for an expensive fine-print edition of his book The Dark Kingdom, Patchen designed and painted his own book covers and published a limited edition of 75 copies. This launched a series of nine titles that became known as the "painted books," all with covers individually decorated by Patchen with original paintings and holograph colophons, totaling 956 cover paintings. Other titles in this series were Red Wine & Yellow Hair, Fables and Other Little Tales, and Hurrah for Anything. Patchen went on to make a series of silk-screened poems printed on handmade Japanese paper.

> "Like Picasso," wrote Henry Miller in 1946 of his friend Patchen, "he makes use of everything. The innovator and initiator are strong in him....One is no longer looking at a dead, printed book but at something alive and breathing, something which looks back at you with equal astonishment. Novelty is employed not as seduction but like the stern fist of the Zen master to awaken and arouse the consciousness of the reader."

Good read...

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<ff7b25414b886308f04ee0c8d80525e7@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9230&group=rec.arts.poems#9230

Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:25:57 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:25 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>> >
>> > Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> > The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen
>>
>> > The snow is deep on the ground.
>> > Always the light falls
>> > Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> > [...]
>>
>> > (read by Kenneth Patchen)
>>
>> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html
>>
>> > #pennyspoems
>> With 98° heat here in Columbus Georgia, a nice chilly poem is welcome today.

> I sure do know what you mean, Doc.., ha ha

> Rather nice sitting here on this bank of sand watching the river flow, though...!

The weather seems good for that today.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<34a5e3a1507483399d116b2f6b2f6e5d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9382&group=rec.arts.poems#9382

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 22:05:53 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 22:05 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> General-Zod wrote:

>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

>>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>>> Always the light falls
>>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>>> [...]

>>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

>>> #pennyspoems

>> Another read of a great favorite from the Beat era, Kenneth Patchen...

> Good evening, agreed.

Always a good read with Kenneth P.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<41b232430d5418ec91cf3c986aa8396a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9467&group=rec.arts.poems#9467

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 13:17:28 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 13:17 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> General-Zod wrote:

>>> Another read of a great favorite from the Beat era, Kenneth Patchen...

>> Good evening, agreed.

> Always a good read with Kenneth P.

Yes, and a tip from Alan Moore, I'm looking forward to reading the poetry of another obscure Beat poet, Kirby Doyle.

I see that George J. Dance has his biography on the poetry Wiki, so that is probably the best place to begin.

Ping George D: Kirby Doyle might have poetry suitable for the blog.

HTH and HAND.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<803fdaa5-a9a9-403b-839a-3fc0d55f554cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9471&group=rec.arts.poems#9471

Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 14:25:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
 by: George J. Dance - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 21:25 UTC

On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 9:20:14 AM UTC-4, W.Dockery wrote:
> General-Zod wrote:
>
> > Will Dockery wrote:

> >> Good evening, agreed.
>
> > Always a good read with Kenneth P.
> Yes, and a tip from Alan Moore, I'm looking forward to reading the poetry of another obscure Beat poet, Kirby Doyle.
>
> I see that George J. Dance has his biography on the poetry Wiki, so that is probably the best place to begin.
>
> Ping George D: Kirby Doyle might have poetry suitable for the blog.
>
> HTH and HAND.

Possibly. But Doyle lived 81 years, dying in 2003; meaning his work won't go into the public domain before I'm 100.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<bf0be38c3e478a562733caec30a2e371@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9476&group=rec.arts.poems#9476

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 23:23:12 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 23:23 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 9:20:14 AM UTC-4, W.Dockery wrote:
>> General-Zod wrote:

>> > Always a good read with Kenneth P.
>> Yes, and a tip from Alan Moore, I'm looking forward to reading the poetry of another obscure Beat poet, Kirby Doyle.
>>
>> I see that George J. Dance has his biography on the poetry Wiki, so that is probably the best place to begin.
>>
>> Ping George D: Kirby Doyle might have poetry suitable for the blog.
>>
>> HTH and HAND.

> Possibly. But Doyle lived 81 years, dying in 2003; meaning his work won't go into the public domain before I'm 100.

And of course I'll be right there near you...!

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<e33cc4928658b363f9e6f091e1cb646e@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9618&group=rec.arts.poems#9618

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:34:31 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:34 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>> Always the light falls
>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> [...]

>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

>> #pennyspoems

> More Kenneth Patchen

Usually a good choice for Beat style poetry.

😃

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<6ec314fff1d45bd74a0e64fe3d64799e@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9806&group=rec.arts.poems#9806

Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:41:09 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:41 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>> Always the light falls
>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> [...]

>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

>> #pennyspoems

> More Kenneth Patchen... quite excellent, bravo...!

Again, agreed.

😃

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<cc2d767d87884216d615a9927a20a692@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9872&group=rec.arts.poems#9872

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 12:27:48 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 12:27 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>> Always the light falls
>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> [...]

>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

>> #pennyspoems

> More Kenneth Patchen... quite excellent, bravo...!

I found some Kenneth Patchen poetry through the local library, I'm looking forward to reading that.

Re: PPB: The Snow Lies Deep on the Ground / Kenneth Patchen

<b2975eb72381d64b16df08ad69c87896@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=10028&group=rec.arts.poems#10028

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 02:36:34 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 02:36 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> The Snow Is Deep on the Ground, by Kenneth Patchen

>> The snow is deep on the ground.
>> Always the light falls
>> Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.
>> [...]

>> (read by Kenneth Patchen)

>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-snow-is-deep-on-ground-kenneth.html

>> #pennyspoems

> More Kenneth Patchen... quite excellent, bravo...!

Agreed and again, seconded.

🙂