From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Under the Yoke (Draka Novels, 2)" by S. M. Stirling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:24:24 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:24 UTC

"Under the Yoke (Draka Novels, 2)" by S. M. Stirling
https://www.amazon.com/Under-Yoke-R-M-Stirling/dp/0671720775/

Book number two of a five book alternate history military fiction
series. I read the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen
in 1990 that I bought used on Amazon. I read the fourth book in the
series recently and am now back tracking. I have acquired the third
book in the series and am reading the third book now.

After the American revolutionary war, the British loyalists in the
colonies mostly escaped to Canada. But in an alternate timeline, those
90,000 British loyalists were exiled to the southern tip of Africa at
the direction of George Washington from 1783 to 1786. They took over
the Dutch colony of South Africa as other unwanted groups joined them
and merged into their slave holding culture. They eventually called
themselves the Domination of Draka.

By 1942, the Domination of Draka is 36 million free peoples and 500
million slaves XXXXXX serfs, one quarter of the people on the planet
Earth. They have spread throughout the entire continent of Africa to
Egypt, the middle east (Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia), Turkey, Kazakhstan,
Afghanistan, and they have just completed taking Italy and then Germany.
The rest of Europe fell quickly. They have used their incredible
mineral riches to develop and purchase the best weapons in the world.
And they have nuclear weapons that they used to destroy the German
armies, not understanding of the dangers of fallout on their own armies.

"Service to the State" is the typical saying from one Draka citizen to
another citizen. Their reply is "Glory to the Race". These sayings
exemplify all you need to know about the Draka. Their goal is to
subjugate the entire human race.

By 1948, the Domination of Draka is 40 million free peoples and 1,000
million slaves XXXXXX serfs, one half of the people on the planet Earth.
The Domination has subjugated the entire continents of Africa, Europe,
and most of Asia. The only areas not subjugated are North America,
South America, Australia, Great Britain, India, and Japan, The Alliance
of Free Democracies. The Domination and the Alliance are in a cold war
with spying and underground activities that go along with such while the
Domination is putting Europe to the yoke.

The prolific author has a website at:
https://smstirling.com/

The five books of the series are listed at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Domination

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars (19 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Under the Yoke (Draka Novels, 2)" by S. M. Stirling

<t4c9oi$u0l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72546&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72546

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Under the Yoke (Draka Novels, 2)" by S. M. Stirling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:40:49 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 20:40 UTC

On 4/27/2022 1:24 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Under the Yoke (Draka Novels, 2)" by S. M. Stirling
>    https://www.amazon.com/Under-Yoke-R-M-Stirling/dp/0671720775/
>
> Book number two of a five book alternate history military fiction
> series.  I read the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen
> in 1990 that I bought used on Amazon.  I read the fourth book in the
> series recently and am now back tracking.  I have acquired the third
> book in the series and am reading the third book now.
>
> After the American revolutionary war, the British loyalists in the
> colonies mostly escaped to Canada.  But in an alternate timeline, those
> 90,000 British loyalists were exiled to the southern tip of Africa at
> the direction of George Washington from 1783 to 1786.  They took over
> the Dutch colony of South Africa as other unwanted groups joined them
> and merged into their slave holding culture.  They eventually called
> themselves the Domination of Draka.
>
> By 1942, the Domination of Draka is 36 million free peoples and 500
> million slaves XXXXXX serfs, one quarter of the people on the planet
> Earth.  They have spread throughout the entire continent of Africa to
> Egypt, the middle east (Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia), Turkey, Kazakhstan,
> Afghanistan, and they have just completed taking Italy and then Germany.
>  The rest of Europe fell quickly.  They have used their incredible
> mineral riches to develop and purchase the best weapons in the world.
> And they have nuclear weapons that they used to destroy the German
> armies, not understanding of the dangers of fallout on their own armies.
>
> "Service to the State" is the typical saying from one Draka citizen to
> another citizen.  Their reply is "Glory to the Race".  These sayings
> exemplify all you need to know about the Draka.  Their goal is to
> subjugate the entire human race.
>
> By 1948, the Domination of Draka is 40 million free peoples and 1,000
> million slaves XXXXXX serfs, one half of the people on the planet Earth.
>  The Domination has subjugated the entire continents of Africa, Europe,
> and most of Asia.  The only areas not subjugated are North America,
> South America, Australia, Great Britain, India, and Japan, The Alliance
> of Free Democracies.  The Domination and the Alliance are in a cold war
> with spying and underground activities that go along with such while the
> Domination is putting Europe to the yoke.
>
> The prolific author has a website at:
>    https://smstirling.com/
>
> The five books of the series are listed at:
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Domination
>
> My rating:  4.4 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating:  4.9 out of 5 stars (19 reviews)
>
> Lynn

I forgot to mention that the Draka are big fans of Vlad the Impaler for
unruly serfs. Big, big fans.

Lynn