"jackpot: you may have an unnecessary change record" -- message from "diff"

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

SubjectAuthor
* YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovMichael F. Stemper
+- Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovRobert Woodward
+* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovLynn McGuire
|+* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovDorothy J Heydt
||`- Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovDorothy J Heydt
|`* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovMichael F. Stemper
| `* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovLynn McGuire
|  +* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovThe Horny Goat
|  |+* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovSjouke Burry
|  ||`- Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovCharles Packer
|  |`* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovLynn McGuire
|  | `- Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovThe Horny Goat
|  +- Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovKevrob
|  +- Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovDorothy J Heydt
|  `* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovMichael F. Stemper
|   `* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovStephen Harker
|    `* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovStephen Harker
|     `- Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovMichael F. Stemper
`* Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimovted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 `- Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe AsimovQuadibloc

1
YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<t43r3c$r54$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72344&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72344

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 10:41:32 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:41 UTC

In a comment on a recent video[1] by physicist Sabine Hossenfelder,
somebody says:

It reminds me of an Asimov short story: particle physicists kept
discovering smaller and smaller particles. A graduate student
proved it was an infinite progression and got his PhD - in
theology.

Does anybody remember an Asimov story like this? I've probably
read the majority of his short stories, but it doesn't sound at
all familiar. I'll admit that it sounds like something Asimov
could have written.

[1] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHR-ggwafO8>
--
Michael F. Stemper
Psalm 94:3-6

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<robertaw-AF04DD.09395924042022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72347&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72347

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:40:00 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:40 UTC

In article <t43r3c$r54$1@dont-email.me>,
"Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> In a comment on a recent video[1] by physicist Sabine Hossenfelder,
> somebody says:
>
> It reminds me of an Asimov short story: particle physicists kept
> discovering smaller and smaller particles. A graduate student
> proved it was an infinite progression and got his PhD - in
> theology.
>
> Does anybody remember an Asimov story like this? I've probably
> read the majority of his short stories, but it doesn't sound at
> all familiar. I'll admit that it sounds like something Asimov
> could have written.
>
> [1] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHR-ggwafO8>

The only short story I remember that had to do with ever smaller
(actually more fundamental as in particles that make up the particles
that make up quarks, and so forth further down) had to do with the
problem that discovering these new particles required ever more
expensive test equipment (an induced stellar explosion might had been
mentioned). I don't remember who the author was.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<t4404s$5e9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72349&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72349

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 12:07:30 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 17:07 UTC

On 4/24/2022 10:41 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> In a comment on a recent video[1] by physicist Sabine Hossenfelder,
> somebody says:
>
>   It reminds me of an Asimov short story: particle physicists kept
>   discovering smaller and smaller particles. A graduate student
>   proved it was an infinite progression and got his PhD - in
>   theology.
>
> Does anybody remember an Asimov story like this? I've probably
> read the majority of his short stories, but it doesn't sound at
> all familiar. I'll admit that it sounds like something Asimov
> could have written.
>
> [1] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHR-ggwafO8>

Didn't Asimov publish about 300 books, more nonfiction than fiction ?

Lynn

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<jclgvpFqrf4U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72356&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72356

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 24 Apr 2022 17:50:50 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 17:50 UTC

In article <t43r3c$r54$1@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>In a comment on a recent video[1] by physicist Sabine Hossenfelder,
>somebody says:
>
> It reminds me of an Asimov short story: particle physicists kept
> discovering smaller and smaller particles. A graduate student
> proved it was an infinite progression and got his PhD - in
> theology.
>
>Does anybody remember an Asimov story like this? I've probably
>read the majority of his short stories, but it doesn't sound at
>all familiar. I'll admit that it sounds like something Asimov
>could have written.

I do remember the story. And yes it does sound like something Asimov
might have done, but other than confirming that it exists, I have nothing
to add, and isfdb seems to be down right now.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<rAuunG.14HJ@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72357&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72357

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 17:45:16 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 17:45 UTC

In article <t4404s$5e9$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 4/24/2022 10:41 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>> In a comment on a recent video[1] by physicist Sabine Hossenfelder,
>> somebody says:
>>
>>   It reminds me of an Asimov short story: particle physicists kept
>>   discovering smaller and smaller particles. A graduate student
>>   proved it was an infinite progression and got his PhD - in
>>   theology.
>>
>> Does anybody remember an Asimov story like this? I've probably
>> read the majority of his short stories, but it doesn't sound at
>> all familiar. I'll admit that it sounds like something Asimov
>> could have written.
>>
>> [1] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHR-ggwafO8>
>
>Didn't Asimov publish about 300 books, more nonfiction than fiction ?

I'm not sure of the number, but more than 200.

He remarked somewhere* that writing nonfiction was easier than
writing fiction, because fiction had to be Made Up, whereas he
already knew everything in nonfiction. Which, considering his
eidetic memory, may have been no more than the truth.

ISTR he grouped mysteries with nonfiction, because the mysteries
he wrote were all based on real-word facts that he already knew
but no one in the story did, until Henry the waiter looked it up.

_____
*I may have it saved to disk somewhere; if I can find it I'll
quote it. It was followed by other posts wherein various people
claimed fiction was easier because you could just make things up.

Whereupon someone retorted "But then David [Friedman] will say
your economy won't work and [somebody else will say something
else won't work], and Graydon will say something profound that
you don't understand...]" I've got to find that file.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<rAuvMw.1LF8@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72360&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72360

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:06:32 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:06 UTC

In article <rAuunG.14HJ@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <t4404s$5e9$1@dont-email.me>,
>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 4/24/2022 10:41 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>>> In a comment on a recent video[1] by physicist Sabine Hossenfelder,
>>> somebody says:
>>>
>>>   It reminds me of an Asimov short story: particle physicists kept
>>>   discovering smaller and smaller particles. A graduate student
>>>   proved it was an infinite progression and got his PhD - in
>>>   theology.
>>>
>>> Does anybody remember an Asimov story like this? I've probably
>>> read the majority of his short stories, but it doesn't sound at
>>> all familiar. I'll admit that it sounds like something Asimov
>>> could have written.
>>>
>>> [1] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHR-ggwafO8>
>>
>>Didn't Asimov publish about 300 books, more nonfiction than fiction ?
>
>I'm not sure of the number, but more than 200.
>
>He remarked somewhere* that writing nonfiction was easier than
>writing fiction, because fiction had to be Made Up, whereas he
>already knew everything in nonfiction. Which, considering his
>eidetic memory, may have been no more than the truth.
>
>ISTR he grouped mysteries with nonfiction, because the mysteries
>he wrote were all based on real-word facts that he already knew
>but no one in the story did, until Henry the waiter looked it up.
>
>_____
>*I may have it saved to disk somewhere; if I can find it I'll
>quote it. It was followed by other posts wherein various people
>claimed fiction was easier because you could just make things up.
>
>Whereupon someone retorted "But then David [Friedman] will say
>your economy won't work and [somebody else will say something
>else won't work], and Graydon will say something profound that
>you don't understand...]" I've got to find that file.

---------

Found it. This was posted in 2016.

Subject: Re: What is easier to write - real world SF, or imaginary world SF?

In article <nmh7b7$cic$2@dont-email.me>,
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <seawasp@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> I write both SF and Fantasy at the same speed... when writing. But for
>SF, I have tons of research that I have to do in order to make sure that
>geeks reading it don't whine "but but but PHYSICS! Reaction Mass! LAWS
>OF THERMODYNAMICS!".

So I said,

I hear you. Most fortunately, I am married to a guy who knows
most of that stuff and if he doesn't, will calculate it and/or
look it up in the Chemical Rubber Handbook, whereof he owns more
than one copy.

[Sea Wasp continued]

>For Fantasy, I don't need to worry about the
>whining geeks telling me I'm just wrong, but I *do* have to construct an
>entire consistent world using different laws, and I know that ANOTHER
>set of geeks will be asking annoying questions like "but in Book 1 you
>said that Whatsamages work by THIS principle, but in book 5 they're
>using THAT principle..."

So I said,

Yup. And the worst part is, the consistency geeks have *just
finished reading* the book that was published last year after you
wrote it four or five years ago. It's like asking an actor, "Do
you remember that scene where you ... ?" but he doesn't, because
he didn't watch the DVD last night the way you did.

Then Brian Scott said,

From b.scott@csuohio.edu Mon Jul 18 09:59:58 PDT 2016

[quoting Wasp]

> For Fantasy, I don't need to worry about the whining
> geeks telling me I'm just wrong,

Sure you do: David F. will tell you that your economy can't
work, I'll tell you that your names make no sense at all,
and Graydon will have some societal objection that turns
out to be profound once you figure out exactly what it is!

> but I *do* have to construct an entire consistent world
> using different laws, and I know that ANOTHER set of
> geeks will be asking annoying questions like "but in
> Book 1 you said that Whatsamages work by THIS principle,
> but in book 5 they're using THAT principle..."

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<t44ak4$oq4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72367&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72367

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:06:28 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 20:06 UTC

On 24/04/2022 12.07, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/24/2022 10:41 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>> In a comment on a recent video[1] by physicist Sabine Hossenfelder,
>> somebody says:
>>
>>    It reminds me of an Asimov short story: particle physicists kept
>>    discovering smaller and smaller particles. A graduate student
>>    proved it was an infinite progression and got his PhD - in
>>    theology.
>>
>> Does anybody remember an Asimov story like this? I've probably
>> read the majority of his short stories, but it doesn't sound at
>> all familiar. I'll admit that it sounds like something Asimov
>> could have written.
>>
>> [1] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHR-ggwafO8>
>
> Didn't Asimov publish about 300 books, more nonfiction than fiction ?

Over 500.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Exodus 22:21

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<t46pu2$nq2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72412&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72412

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:40:08 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 18:40 UTC

On 4/24/2022 3:06 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 24/04/2022 12.07, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 4/24/2022 10:41 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>>> In a comment on a recent video[1] by physicist Sabine Hossenfelder,
>>> somebody says:
>>>
>>>    It reminds me of an Asimov short story: particle physicists kept
>>>    discovering smaller and smaller particles. A graduate student
>>>    proved it was an infinite progression and got his PhD - in
>>>    theology.
>>>
>>> Does anybody remember an Asimov story like this? I've probably
>>> read the majority of his short stories, but it doesn't sound at
>>> all familiar. I'll admit that it sounds like something Asimov
>>> could have written.
>>>
>>> [1] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHR-ggwafO8>
>>
>> Didn't Asimov publish about 300 books, more nonfiction than fiction ?
>
> Over 500.

Got a list ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<71sd6hd8cjv6fvlp5qgvgmkqtq4hpgeo41@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72417&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72417

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:02:52 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:02 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:40:08 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/24/2022 3:06 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

>>> Didn't Asimov publish about 300 books, more nonfiction than fiction ?
>>
>> Over 500.
>
>Got a list ?
>
>Thanks,
>Lynn

This work?
http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_titles.html

Now this is only books - doesn't include shorter works which are
likely to have been anthologized elsewhere not necessary in all-Asimov
anthologies

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<d9baeb41-9cfd-490f-bdc1-7e7823aa2dd2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72418&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72418

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:07:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:07 UTC

On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 2:40:06 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/24/2022 3:06 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

> >> Didn't Asimov publish about 300 books, more nonfiction than fiction ?
> >
> > Over 500.
> Got a list ?

I'd have to do research on that number, as quite a few were edited or co-edited by IA,
and might have Asimov-written introductions to the whole or to parts of those books.

https://asimov.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Books_by_Isaac_Asimov

--
Kevin R

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<nnd$58c35400$4ba884e8@f2b2b7a08ac6051a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72420&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72420

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:23:10 +0200
From: burrynul...@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Sjouke Burry - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:23 UTC

On 25.04.22 21:02, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:40:08 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Over 500.
>>
>> Got a list ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn
>
> This work?
> http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_titles.html
>
> Now this is only books - doesn't include shorter works which are
> likely to have been anthologized elsewhere not necessary in all-Asimov
> anthologies

Nice list.
Saved.

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<t470me$d46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72426&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72426

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:35:26 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:35 UTC

On 4/25/2022 2:02 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:40:08 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Over 500.
>>
>> Got a list ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn
>
> This work?
> http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_titles.html
>
> Now this is only books - doesn't include shorter works which are
> likely to have been anthologized elsewhere not necessary in all-Asimov
> anthologies

Excellent ! I have two of his non-fiction books. Somewhere.

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<rAx4G3.tux@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72445&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72445

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 23:12:03 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 23:12 UTC

In article <t46pu2$nq2$2@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 4/24/2022 3:06 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

>>> Didn't Asimov publish about 300 books, more nonfiction than fiction ?
>>
>> Over 500.
>
>Got a list ?

Alas, no. Just this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Stories_(Asimov)

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<fbe9cf00-350b-4ebe-ac0c-753492ea466fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72456&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72456

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 04:34 UTC

On Sunday, April 24, 2022 at 11:50:53 AM UTC-6, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> I do remember the story. And yes it does sound like something Asimov
> might have done, but other than confirming that it exists, I have nothing
> to add, and isfdb seems to be down right now.

I suspect, though, that Asimov is not the one who wrote that particular
story. I could be wrong, but I know I read a lot of his short stories, and
nothing like that was among them.

John Savard

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<t48scc$5ta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72463&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72463

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 08:33:55 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:33 UTC

On 25/04/2022 13.40, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/24/2022 3:06 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

>>> Didn't Asimov publish about 300 books, more nonfiction than fiction ?
>>
>> Over 500.
>
> Got a list ?

For most authors, I'd use the author page at ISFDB. But, since
we're talking about somebody with a vast non-genre output, I
searched on "Isaac Asimov over 500 books", which led me to:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov_bibliography_(categorical)>
and
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov_bibliography_(chronological)>

--
Michael F. Stemper
Economists have correctly predicted seven of the last three recessions.

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<49fg6hduudcbitp6egqn17v6tl1itl2bjd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72481&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72481

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:44:17 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 18:44 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:35:26 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/25/2022 2:02 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:40:08 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Got a list ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lynn
>>
>> This work?
>> http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_titles.html
>>
>> Now this is only books - doesn't include shorter works which are
>> likely to have been anthologized elsewhere not necessary in all-Asimov
>> anthologies
>
>Excellent ! I have two of his non-fiction books. Somewhere.
>
>Thanks,
>Lynn
He did a 3 volume series on physics way back when. I remember reading
it at age 12-13 back in the late 60s. Great series for a keener kid
highly interested in chemistry and wanting more

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<878rrr3cdy.fsf@netspace.net.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72482&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72482

From: sjhar...@netspace.net.au (Stephen Harker)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 04:52:57 +1000
 by: Stephen Harker - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 18:52 UTC

"Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper@gmail.com> writes:

> On 25/04/2022 13.40, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> Over 500.
>>
>> Got a list ?
>
> For most authors, I'd use the author page at ISFDB. But, since
> we're talking about somebody with a vast non-genre output, I
> searched on "Isaac Asimov over 500 books", which led me to:
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov_bibliography_(categorical)>
> and
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov_bibliography_(chronological)>

I can recall a story that matches, I am not sure it was by Asimov.
However, it was in Analog, probably from the 1980's or 1990's. I don't
have time during the working week to go through my collection. If it is
not identified I will try on the weekend.

--
Stephen Harker sjharker@netspace.net.au
was: http://sjharker.customer.netspace.net.au/

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<XC6aK.137263$Kdf.37567@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72518&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72518

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:52:23 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:52 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:23:10 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:

> On 25.04.22 21:02, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:40:08 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Lynn
>>
>> This work?
>> http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_titles.html
>>
>> Now this is only books - doesn't include shorter works which are likely
>> to have been anthologized elsewhere not necessary in all-Asimov
>> anthologies
>>
> Nice list.
> Saved.

The curator of that list, Ed Seiler, was my one-time office-mate
at NASA. I lost track of him after we were subsequently assigned
to different projects.

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<87y1zmhx0f.fsf@netspace.net.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72717&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72717

From: sjhar...@netspace.net.au (Stephen Harker)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 11:17:20 +1000
 by: Stephen Harker - Sun, 1 May 2022 01:17 UTC

Stephen Harker <sjharker@netspace.net.au> writes:

> "Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper@gmail.com> writes:

> I can recall a story that matches, I am not sure it was by Asimov.
> However, it was in Analog, probably from the 1980's or 1990's. I don't
> have time during the working week to go through my collection. If it is
> not identified I will try on the weekend.

The story I was thinking of is Quiddities, by Ray Brown, Analog, March
1983, pp 92--113. It matches the key points of the description above.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?49387

It is not listed as being in any collection or anthology.

--
Stephen Harker sjharker@netspace.net.au
was: http://sjharker.customer.netspace.net.au/
now: http://members.iinet.net.au/~sjharker@netspace.net.au/
or: http://members.iinet.net.au/~sjharker_nbn/

Re: YASID - quantum physics, maybe Asimov

<t4mcl8$550$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72754&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72754

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:31:36 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:31 UTC

On 30/04/2022 20.17, Stephen Harker wrote:

> The story I was thinking of is Quiddities, by Ray Brown, Analog, March
> 1983, pp 92--113. It matches the key points of the description above.
>
> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?49387
>
> It is not listed as being in any collection or anthology.

Thanks for the followup!

--
Michael F. Stemper
Exodus 22:21