A committee is a group that keeps the minutes and loses hours. -- Milton Berle

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

SubjectAuthor
* Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022Tony Nance
+* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022Titus G
|+- Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022Tony Nance
|`* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022Default User
| +* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022Titus G
| |`* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022Default User
| | `- Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022Titus G
| `- Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022Robert Woodward
`- Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022Default User

1
Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

<d308a8a5-028f-48f3-bcf0-29ab9694a7afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72766&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72766

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:49:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022
From: tonynanc...@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:49 UTC

Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

In appreciation of how I've benefitted from recommendations & info
here over the years, I have a low-level goal to add more on-topic
content. I started in March 2021 with a summary of my Jan & Feb
reading, and I aim to do this type of post every two months.

I think there are no spoilers, not even minor ones. If something does
seem spoiler-ish, it happens early in the book in question and is
front-and-center.

Below is a slightly augmented list of what I read in Mar/Apr, with a
very primitive rating system:
“+” are good, and more “+” are better
“-“ are not good, and more “-“ are worse

Books are listed in reverse chronological order from how I read them.

I’m happy to answer questions about anything on the list.

Highlight - Hmm…Words of Radiance? City on Fire?

Lowlight - The Tower of Swallows [Witcher - 6th book - spine says “4”]

Here’s what’s below:
April
(++ -) Annihilation - Jeff Vandermeer [Southern Reach #1]
(+) Unnatural Magic - CM Waggoner
(++) The Web Between the Worlds - Sheffield
(++) Fugitive Telemetry - Wells [Murderbot #6]
(+++) City on Fire - WJWilliams [Metropolitan #2]

March
(+++) Words of Radiance - Sanderson [Stormlight Archive #2]
(++) Metropolitan - WJWilliams
(++ -) Fledgling - Lee&Miller [Liaden - 11th written, per
https://sharonleewriter.com/correct-reading-order/
and the 13th I’ve read]
(++) Mage Commander - Stewart [Starship’s Mage #11]
(- -) The Tower of Swallows - Sapkowski [Witcher - 6th book,
4th novel - spine says “4”]
=========================================================April
(++ -) Annihilation - Jeff Vandermeer [Southern Reach #1]
Not sure how much I liked this, but it was oddly compelling to read.
Very different tone&voice, maybe what a modern gothic horror novel
might sound like. Very…psychological, I guess? This book follows the
first person account of one of four members of the 12th expedition
into Area X, where very strange phenomena occur, not everyone returns,
and some who return are very very different. No names - our first person
narrator is “the biologist”. I may well read the second one..

(+) Unnatural Magic - CM Waggoner
This was a nice & promising debut novel. Promising enough that
I picked up her second one the next time I saw it. (Same universe
but seemingly no overlapping characters.) Sort of reminiscent of
T Kingfisher (Ursula Vernon), but cruder (both in language and
craftsmanship). This book follows 3 protagonists in two threads
that converge later in the book. Low/common fantasy primarily
with humans and trolls in the same society.

(++) The Web Between the Worlds - Sheffield
Good - my first exposure to Sheffield. I especially liked the
science&engineering discussions between between Merlin and Regula.
The “mystery“ with Morel and the “Goblins” was just okay/fine, as was
the inevitable conflict with Merlin. But he science&engineering was
really cool, and I’ll be looking for some more Sheffield to read.

(++) Fugitive Telemetry - Wells [Murderbot #6]
Another good entry in the Murderbot (MB, just my abbreviation) series -
fun to watch MB learn more and more about humans and humanity, in
turn learning more and more about itself. This book sees MB working
mainly with the local head of security to solve a murder, away from most
of the characters we’ve seen in the previous books. As MB slowly gains
the trust and respect of the security chief, MB also discovers some
surprising things about its own preferences and motivations. And as
always, MB’s internal dialogue is awesome.

(+++) City on Fire - WJWilliams [Metropolitan #2]
This was good and became very very good toward the last 1/3 of the
book. Picking up almost immediately where Metropolitan leaves off
(Metropolitan is described below), Aiah follows Constantine to be part
of his new efforts in a different city. Aiah is a very observant, thoughtful,
smart character, and this book is at least as much about her growth and
development as it is about Constantine’s New City.

March
(+++) Words of Radiance - Sanderson [Stormlight Archive #2]
Very good. 1310 pages(!) - lots and lots of stuff going on of course…
really well written…excellent character arcs and developments…lots
of plot progress on all fronts…Kaladin bottoms out, then rises
spectacularly; Shallan evolves and becomes far less shallow and
deceptive; Adolin develops nicely, and much to his credit (and benefit)
Dalinar stays true; Szeth is in a very interesting situation as this book
ends, but you could probably say that for all the main characters.

(++) Metropolitan - WJWilliams (re-read)
Shortly before I finished Fledgling, someone on rasfw mentioned that
Walter Jon Williams was planning to write #3 in the Metropolitan
universe. I realized I hadn’t yet read City on Fire, so that became my
next book to read. However, the start of City on Fire wasn’t going well,
because I’d forgotten so much about Metropolitan. So I re-read
Metropolitan.

It was very good. This is a very urban setting - in fact, this world is
similar to Asimov’s Trantor, except it’s not one big city covering the
planet surface, but several different cities - with different cultures,
interests, resources, etc.

This is such a rich and interesting world. For lack of a better description,
plasm is a sort of “magic electricity” - it can be stored in batteries, you
can hook right into a plasm feed, etc. It is also powerful and dangerous
- for those trained and able to use it, they can do many powerful things.
Protagonist Aiah is living a rather mundane existence working for the
Plasm Authority, and is a low-level (and largely untrained) user of plasm
herself. When she finds a hidden (and huge) well/source of plasm while
on a job, she hides it from her employer and tries to decide what to do
with it. Ultimately, she brazenly approaches the Metropolitan Constantine
with the intent of selling it to him. Constantine is a highly skilled plasm
user and is known the world over for taking over another city in a failed
effort to impose a new type of society and governance there. Not exactly
unwillingly for Aiah, Constantine pulls her into his schemes, and the rest
goes from there.

(++ -) Fledgling - Lee&Miller [Liaden - 11th written, per
https://sharonleewriter.com/correct-reading-order/
and the 13th I’ve read]
The 1st half was a triple-combination of annoying: a whiny teenager
protagonist; an extrapolated caricature of academic culture; and planet
Delgado’s over-the-top societal obsession/fetish with “safety”; but the
rest was quite good and much more in line with what we’d expect from
this series/universe. Once the plot & characters moved off of Delgado,
things got much much better. I almost gave up twice before that
happened, but I’m glad I persisted, and I’ll certainly read the next
one (Saltation).

(++) Mage Commander - Stewart [Starship’s Mage #11]
Another good solid effort in this series. This is Roslyn-focused, and
Damien is very peripheral. The former Republic sets up shop in/near
some uncharted colony worlds, and Nemesis is up to something too.
Roslyn is given command of her own destroyer, and she works with
the intelligence arm of the Protectorate to learn more. Good
characterization and good character development.

(- -) The Tower of Swallows - Sapkowski [Witcher - 6th book,
4th novel - spine says “4”]
This was miserable - too much torture and brutality, too much cruelty
and nastiness; nothing that moves the plot forward until the last 30-40
pages. I think this story just got away from Sapkowski — or maybe it just
got away from me — and I won’t be reading the next/last one.. (I did find
summaries online just to see where the last one went. I’m glad I didn’t
read the last one.)

Now Reading:
Long work - I’m in between…considering Corey’s Expanse #8
or CM Waggoner’s 2nd.
Collection - Dozois’ Exploring the Horizons - the 1st half is the anthology
“Explorers” and it has been excellent. (The 2nd half is the anthology “The
Furthest Horizon”.)

Tony

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

<t4nak9$99r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72776&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72776

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 13:03:01 +1200
 by: Titus G - Mon, 2 May 2022 01:03 UTC

On 2/05/22 07:49, Tony Nance wrote:
> Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022
snip
> (+++) City on Fire - WJWilliams [Metropolitan #2]

> (++) Metropolitan - WJWilliams (re-read)
> Shortly before I finished Fledgling, someone on rasfw mentioned that
> Walter Jon Williams was planning to write #3 in the Metropolitan
> universe.

According to the website, fantasticfiction, it will be available in
September. Titled 'Imperium Restored". I am looking forward to it.

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

<9b4f416c-086b-4be7-9105-3171db9183b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72777&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72777

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 18:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynanc...@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Mon, 2 May 2022 01:31 UTC

On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 9:03:08 PM UTC-4, Titus G wrote:
> On 2/05/22 07:49, Tony Nance wrote:
> > Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022
> snip
> > (+++) City on Fire - WJWilliams [Metropolitan #2]
> > (++) Metropolitan - WJWilliams (re-read)
> > Shortly before I finished Fledgling, someone on rasfw mentioned that
> > Walter Jon Williams was planning to write #3 in the Metropolitan
> > universe.
>
> According to the website, fantasticfiction, it will be available in
> September. Titled 'Imperium Restored". I am looking forward to it.

Oh cool - did not know that - thanks!
- Tony

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

<5054cd85-8eb2-4251-afe1-7f9116b69d6bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72812&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72812

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 19:42:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
 by: Default User - Tue, 3 May 2022 02:42 UTC

On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 8:03:08 PM UTC-5, Titus G wrote:
> On 2/05/22 07:49, Tony Nance wrote:
> > Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022
> snip
> > (+++) City on Fire - WJWilliams [Metropolitan #2]
> > (++) Metropolitan - WJWilliams (re-read)
> > Shortly before I finished Fledgling, someone on rasfw mentioned that
> > Walter Jon Williams was planning to write #3 in the Metropolitan
> > universe.
> According to the website, fantasticfiction, it will be available in
> September. Titled 'Imperium Restored". I am looking forward to it.

That's finally going to happen? He was talking about that back in the early part of the century, when he was still posting here. It would be great to see it actually take place.

Brian

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

<fbc176f3-9bc9-429b-8ff9-bc7d468c9f42n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72816&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72816

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 20:08:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
 by: Default User - Tue, 3 May 2022 03:08 UTC

On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 2:49:35 PM UTC-5, Tony Nance wrote:
> Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

Ones I have read:

> (++) Fugitive Telemetry - Wells [Murderbot #6]

Always enjoy Murderbot, in fact I just did a reread of the stories, including this one. This wasn't my favorite, but that doesn't mean I disliked it, just liked some of the others better. The funny thing is, I avoided these for years because I misunderstood what they were about, until I saw them on a Best Space Opera list posted on the group. I read the description there and dove in.

> (++) Metropolitan - WJWilliams
> (+++) City on Fire - WJWilliams [Metropolitan #2]

I really liked the world-building and the incorporation of "technological magic".

> (++ -) Fledgling - Lee&Miller

Not my favorite Liaden, which is itself not my favorite series. I like the ones that feature less of the Clan/Balance stuff.

> (++) Fugitive Telemetry - Wells [Murderbot #6]
> Another good entry in the Murderbot (MB, just my abbreviation) series -
> fun to watch MB learn more and more about humans and humanity, in
> turn learning more and more about itself. This book sees MB working
> mainly with the local head of security to solve a murder, away from most
> of the characters we’ve seen in the previous books. As MB slowly gains
> the trust and respect of the security chief, MB also discovers some
> surprising things about its own preferences and motivations. And as
> always, MB’s internal dialogue is awesome.

There at times that I think Murderbot would make a great TV series, but the problem is that snarky internal commentary. I guess they could do voiceover narration, but I don't know how well that would work. I kind of have the same feeling about the Ancillary series. There are some definite similarities between Breq and Murderbot.

Thanks for the list/review.

Brian

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

<t4q822$cqn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72820&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72820

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 15:37:35 +1200
 by: Titus G - Tue, 3 May 2022 03:37 UTC

On 3/05/22 14:42, Default User wrote:
> On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 8:03:08 PM UTC-5, Titus G wrote:
>> On 2/05/22 07:49, Tony Nance wrote:
>>> Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022
>> snip
>>> (+++) City on Fire - WJWilliams [Metropolitan #2]
>>> (++) Metropolitan - WJWilliams (re-read)
>>> Shortly before I finished Fledgling, someone on rasfw mentioned that
>>> Walter Jon Williams was planning to write #3 in the Metropolitan
>>> universe.
>> According to the website, fantasticfiction, it will be available in
>> September. Titled 'Imperium Restored". I am looking forward to it.
>
> That's finally going to happen? He was talking about that back in the early part of the century, when he was still posting here. It would be great to see it actually take place.
>
> Brian

Yes. There have been reviews and advance orders are being taken online
by Amazon and more. Published by Harper Voyager.

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

<robertaw-4D73A9.21555402052022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72821&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72821

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 21:55:55 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Tue, 3 May 2022 04:55 UTC

In article <5054cd85-8eb2-4251-afe1-7f9116b69d6bn@googlegroups.com>,
Default User <defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 8:03:08 PM UTC-5, Titus G wrote:
> > On 2/05/22 07:49, Tony Nance wrote:
> > > Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022
> > snip
> > > (+++) City on Fire - WJWilliams [Metropolitan #2]
> > > (++) Metropolitan - WJWilliams (re-read)
> > > Shortly before I finished Fledgling, someone on rasfw mentioned that
> > > Walter Jon Williams was planning to write #3 in the Metropolitan
> > > universe.
> > According to the website, fantasticfiction, it will be available in
> > September. Titled 'Imperium Restored". I am looking forward to it.
>
> That's finally going to happen? He was talking about that back in the early
> part of the century, when he was still posting here. It would be great to see
> it actually take place.

I believe that _Imperium Restored_ is a Praxis title (3rd in the second
trilogy).

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

<38ab834e-1dd3-446b-ab03-4d85c97908b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72824&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72824

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 23:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
 by: Default User - Tue, 3 May 2022 06:08 UTC

On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 10:37:42 PM UTC-5, Titus G wrote:
> On 3/05/22 14:42, Default User wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 8:03:08 PM UTC-5, Titus G wrote:

> >> According to the website, fantasticfiction, it will be available in
> >> September. Titled 'Imperium Restored". I am looking forward to it.
> >
> > That's finally going to happen? He was talking about that back in the early
> > part of the century, when he was still posting here. It would be great to see it actually take place.

> Yes. There have been reviews and advance orders are being taken online
> by Amazon and more. Published by Harper Voyager.

That's not the right book. It's an upcoming Praxis novel. I didn't see anything on Amazon that looked like a Metropolitan book.

Brian

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - Mar-Apr 2022

<t4sj4q$esl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72879&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72879

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 08:48:50 +1200
 by: Titus G - Tue, 3 May 2022 20:48 UTC

On 3/05/22 18:08, Default User wrote:
> On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 10:37:42 PM UTC-5, Titus G wrote:

>>> That's finally going to happen? He was talking about that back in the early
>>> part of the century, when he was still posting here. It would be great to see it actually take place.
>
>> Yes. There have been reviews and advance orders are being taken online
>> by Amazon and more. Published by Harper Voyager.
>
> That's not the right book. It's an upcoming Praxis novel. I didn't see anything on Amazon that looked like a Metropolitan book.
>
> Brian

Sorry. I have mistaken the Praxis book for a Metropolitan one. I was
completely mixed up.