From: rrost...@comcast.net (Rich Rostrom)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: David Tenner is gone
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 17:02:22 -0500
 by: Rich Rostrom - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:02 UTC

He passed away on 5 May (age 71). I learned of his passing
on [AH].com today.

This is a great loss to the AH community. His knowledge of
history was awesome - the most erudite person to participate
in the USENET forums or [AH].com.

His postings were always superbly sourced and perfectly
composed in a lively style. He had access to great amounts
of historical texts, which he shared with the community by
scanning/OCR or transcription - something I never properly
thanked him for.

He was unfailingly _civil_ - polite even to the occasional
trolls that infested USENET, and was never drawn into any
sort of quarrel.

Obituaries for him can be seen at

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/wilmette-il/david-tenner-11285565

and

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/chicagotribune/name/david-tenner-obituary?id=51940123

--
Nous sommes dans une pot de chambre, et nous y serons emmerdés.
--- General Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot at Sedan, 1870.

Re: David Tenner is gone

<1fe6607b-4926-44de-963b-ee30d95d793dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7289&group=alt.history.what-if#7289

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 04:25:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: David Tenner is gone
From: damark...@gmail.com (dama...@gmail.com)
 by: dama...@gmail.com - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:25 UTC

On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 6:02:27 PM UTC-4, Rich Rostrom wrote:
> He passed away on 5 May (age 71). I learned of his passing
> on [AH].com today.
>
> This is a great loss to the AH community. His knowledge of
> history was awesome - the most erudite person to participate
> in the USENET forums or [AH].com.
>
> His postings were always superbly sourced and perfectly
> composed in a lively style. He had access to great amounts
> of historical texts, which he shared with the community by
> scanning/OCR or transcription - something I never properly
> thanked him for.
>
> He was unfailingly _civil_ - polite even to the occasional
> trolls that infested USENET, and was never drawn into any
> sort of quarrel.
>
> Obituaries for him can be seen at
>
> https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/wilmette-il/david-tenner-11285565
>
> and
>
> https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/chicagotribune/name/david-tenner-obituary?id=51940123
>
> --
> Nous sommes dans une pot de chambre, et nous y serons emmerdés.
> --- General Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot at Sedan, 1870.

Sad news. David was an extraordinary man. Your above description is perfect!

Dean

Re: David Tenner is gone

<q4vfcit9ocatjc3sk0265ts4gu03odke4u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7290&group=alt.history.what-if#7290

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:26:30 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 18:26 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 17:02:22 -0500, Rich Rostrom
<rrostrom@comcast.net> wrote:

>He passed away on 5 May (age 71). I learned of his passing
>on [AH].com today.
>
>This is a great loss to the AH community. His knowledge of
>history was awesome - the most erudite person to participate
>in the USENET forums or [AH].com.
>
>His postings were always superbly sourced and perfectly
>composed in a lively style. He had access to great amounts
>of historical texts, which he shared with the community by
>scanning/OCR or transcription - something I never properly
>thanked him for.
>
>He was unfailingly _civil_ - polite even to the occasional
>trolls that infested USENET, and was never drawn into any
>sort of quarrel.
>
>Obituaries for him can be seen at
>
>https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/wilmette-il/david-tenner-11285565
>
>and
>
>https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/chicagotribune/name/david-tenner-obituary?id=51940123

David I wish you were here to see this but this newsgroup (and
soc.history.what-if) are much the poorer for your passing. Truly you
were the "MVP" of this newsgroup and when he posted I usually went
there first.

Re: David Tenner is gone

<4b568ada-e977-4e95-ac9a-27338af66a7dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7291&group=alt.history.what-if#7291

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 14:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: graham.t...@gmail.com (Graham Truesdale)
 by: Graham Truesdale - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 21:47 UTC

On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 11:02:27 PM UTC+1, Rich Rostrom wrote:
> He passed away on 5 May (age 71). I learned of his passing
> on [AH].com today.
>
> This is a great loss to the AH community. His knowledge of
> history was awesome - the most erudite person to participate
> in the USENET forums or [AH].com.
>
> His postings were always superbly sourced and perfectly
> composed in a lively style. He had access to great amounts
> of historical texts, which he shared with the community by
> scanning/OCR or transcription - something I never properly
> thanked him for.
>
> He was unfailingly _civil_ - polite even to the occasional
> trolls that infested USENET, and was never drawn into any
> sort of quarrel.
>
> Obituaries for him can be seen at
>
> https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/wilmette-il/david-tenner-11285565
>
> and
>
> https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/chicagotribune/name/david-tenner-obituary?id=51940123

Sad news. A great loss to this group and to the wider alternate history community.

Re: David Tenner is gone

<ucuph6$rno$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7295&group=alt.history.what-if#7295

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 07:51:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 07:51 UTC

Rich Rostrom <rrostrom@comcast.net> wrote:
> He passed away on 5 May (age 71). I learned of his passing
> on [AH].com today.

So...in his memory...what if he hadn't?
> This is a great loss to the AH community. His knowledge of
> history was awesome - the most erudite person to participate
> in the USENET forums or [AH].com.

I've certainly been on threads with him many times
despite only spotty participation here.
> His postings were always superbly sourced and perfectly
> composed in a lively style. He had access to great amounts
> of historical texts, which he shared with the community by
> scanning/OCR or transcription - something I never properly
> thanked him for.
>
> He was unfailingly _civil_ - polite even to the occasional
> trolls that infested USENET, and was never drawn into any
> sort of quarrel.
>
> Obituaries for him can be seen at
>
> https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/wilmette-il/david-tenner-11285565
>
> and
>
> https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/chicagotribune/name/david-tenner-obituary?id=51940123

-=-=-

Re: David Tenner is gone

<ufgvfr$3hmfl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7296&group=alt.history.what-if#7296

From: trolid...@go.com (Trolidan7)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 04:55:39 -0700
 by: Trolidan7 - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:55 UTC

On 7/29/23 15:02, Rich Rostrom wrote:
> He passed away on 5 May (age 71). I learned of his passing
> on [AH].com today.
>
> This is a great loss to the AH community. His knowledge of
> history was awesome - the most erudite person to participate
> in the USENET forums or [AH].com.
>
> His postings were always superbly sourced and perfectly
> composed in a lively style. He had access to great amounts
> of historical texts, which he shared with the community by
> scanning/OCR or transcription - something I never properly
> thanked him for.
>
> He was unfailingly _civil_ - polite even to the occasional
> trolls that infested USENET, and was never drawn into any
> sort of quarrel.
>
> Obituaries for him can be seen at

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/wilmette-il/david-tenner-11285565

> and

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/chicagotribune/name/david-tenner-obituary?id=51940123

In this physical world that we know of, this is bad.

I have not surfed over to alt.history.what-if or
soc.history.what-if for a while.

Some while back, I was thinking he was either a
lawyer or a retired college professor in maybe
either Colorado or Arkansas. I am thinking there
are a lot of people named 'David Tenner' in the US.

I guess I was wrong.

Mind uploading is not something that exists now,
and who knows about a potentially extremely vast
future or if it could be coupled with a maybe
impossible time travel in some future age.

Maybe the physical world is not as it seems,
or maybe it is as it seems. I guess we can
remember. I once remember a professor I had
that once mentioned another one he had in
history when he was learning in school. He
said that particular earlier professor told
stories in class and so it was 'his story'.
There are many different viewpoints on what
'summum bonum' or a 'deity' might be.

Let us say that he deserves heaven, and hope
that the 'eternal oblivion' of the atheists does
not await everyone.