The trouble with being poor is that it takes up all your time.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

SubjectAuthor
* Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?David Johnston
+* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Ahasuerus
|`* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Thomas Koenig
| `- Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Steve Coltrin
+* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Lynn McGuire
> [...]
| ||`* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Michael F. Stemper
| || `* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Dimensional Traveler
| ||  `* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Michael F. Stemper
| ||   `* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Quadibloc
| ||    `* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Michael F. Stemper
| ||     `* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Ahasuerus
| ||      `- Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?pete...@gmail.com
| |`- Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?William Hyde
| `* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Lynn McGuire
|  `- Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Hamish Laws
`* Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?Joy Beeson
 `- Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?J. Clarke

Pages:1234
Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<cd70b0b6-1e2b-4b4d-8b18-52649365629an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72591&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72591

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:30:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:30 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:14:42 AM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/26/2022 8:08 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 18:33:42 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> > <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> He is having to slow down with that 0.1 g. The space liner had a high
> >> delta V coming out of FTL.
> >
> > His engines can throttle up to something in excess of 1 g or
> > propulsive landing is not an option. So he's better off using them at
> > their most efficient setting, which is likely full throttle, than
> > throttled way back.
> >
> >> If the EDS is collapsible, then it probably does not weigh very much.
> >> Maybe only a couple of hundred lbs. Like I said, a one shot space ship,
> >> not much to it.
> >
> > Doesn't alter the fact that a heat shield and enough structure to
> > support it is lighter than 7 miles/sec of chemical fuel.
> Again, that means that you can only land on planets with a significant
> atmosphere. So, Mars and Europa would be out.

All successful Mars landers to date have shed the majority of their
speed by using heatshields and parachutes, relying on the planet's
atmosphere.

Europa has a near vacuum.

pt

Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<ee7a0eec-f7d1-4289-a56f-2c0a7b086705n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72593&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72593

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:03:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:03 UTC

On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 6:38:06 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:22:40 -0700 (PDT), Ross Presser
> <rpre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> and (e) be lucky enough not to be cashiered.
> There's no luck involved. If you understand the rules and follow
> them, they can't cashier you. Everyone who left the service in the
> book did it either voluntarily or as the result of a major violation
> of the regulations.
> >> There is a bit of an
> >> inconsistency in the novel - on the one hand, it is stated that
> >> everybody who cares can join the service and vote, and there's
> >> at least one member thrown out of the MI with a remark "another
> >> civilian who will hate us for the rest of his life".
> I have searched the entire text of the novel using the keyword "hate"
> and separately the keyword "civilian" and can't find a statement to
> that effect.

The line is by Frankel, towards the end of basic training:

"and will wind up with one more civilian who will be against us for the rest of his days".

William Hyde

Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<01896f2a-a355-4dec-af11-20c534f46dcan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72594&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72594

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:11:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:11 UTC

On Sunday, April 24, 2022 at 4:33:30 PM UTC-4, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> J Clarke <jclarke...@gmail.com> schrieb:
> > On Sun, 24 Apr 2022 12:53:13 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
> >>I never really thought too much about that aspect of it. Apparently,
> >>democracy failed, and so they tried to preserve something as close
> >>to democracy as possible.
> >
> > It's a democracy. _Anybody_ can get the vote. They just have to (a)
> > want it badly enough, (b) be able to understand the rules, (c) show
> > that they are capable of following them, and (d) be lucky enough to
> > not die in the process.
> and (e) be lucky enough not to be cashiered. There is a bit of an
> inconsistency in the novel - on the one hand, it is stated that
> everybody who cares can join the service and vote, and there's
> at least one member thrown out of the MI with a remark "another
> civilian who will hate us for the rest of his life".

It's only an inconsistency if you accept Rico's view of how the world works. And as Heinlein makes
clear on a number of occasions, Rico isn't particularly sharp. Hendricks' "History and moral
philosophy" teacher (a course you had to take but didn't have to pass) would have alerted
the authorities to his political ideas. He was never going to get the franchise. Luckily he made
it easy for them.

William Hyde

Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<t4erub$d4e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72597&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72597

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:03:22 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 20:03 UTC

On 4/28/2022 1:30 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:14:42 AM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 4/26/2022 8:08 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

>>> His engines can throttle up to something in excess of 1 g or
>>> propulsive landing is not an option. So he's better off using them at
>>> their most efficient setting, which is likely full throttle, than
>>> throttled way back.

>>> Doesn't alter the fact that a heat shield and enough structure to
>>> support it is lighter than 7 miles/sec of chemical fuel.
>> Again, that means that you can only land on planets with a significant
>> atmosphere. So, Mars and Europa would be out.
>
> All successful Mars landers to date have shed the majority of their
> speed by using heatshields and parachutes, relying on the planet's
> atmosphere.
>
> Europa has a near vacuum.
>
> pt

All of Mars landers to date did not have a human inside of them.
Hitting the ground at 100 mph and bouncing is not an option here.

Lynn

Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<LkDaK.647524$mF2.211686@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72598&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72598

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
References: <t40bse$1rqv$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1ac42207-836e-430b-a595-75ecdcf23327n@googlegroups.com> <4f7e90f4-216b-4f82-8166-f1855bd08900n@googlegroups.com> <robertaw-91A442.10023525042022@news.individual.net> <t46tpg$elj$1@dont-email.me> <t472i8$upa$1@dont-email.me> <a78e6h9kpqptpgf9nu72fuo9tc8ivqs8al@4ax.com> <t47b4o$s64$1@dont-email.me> <rbrf6h1g20r0o247abe1gsumob5s6o5ad1@4ax.com> <t4d7ru$tq3$1@dont-email.me> <cd70b0b6-1e2b-4b4d-8b18-52649365629an@googlegroups.com> <t4erub$d4e$2@dont-email.me>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 21:05:47 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 21:05 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>On 4/28/2022 1:30 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Europa has a near vacuum.
>>
>> pt
>
>All of Mars landers to date did not have a human inside of them.
>Hitting the ground at 100 mph and bouncing is not an option here.

You're a bit behind the times. None of the last three landers
have "bounced".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<47d2d6db-c7d5-41da-bbf0-e8246a2efc2bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72603&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72603

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:22:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:22 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 5:05:52 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> writes:
> >On 4/28/2022 1:30 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >> Europa has a near vacuum.
> >>
> >> pt
> >
> >All of Mars landers to date did not have a human inside of them.
> >Hitting the ground at 100 mph and bouncing is not an option here.
> >
> You're a bit behind the times. None of the last three landers
> have "bounced".
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

Perseverance touched down at 1.7 mph, not 100.

However, it did hit some high gee forces during descent. A
human carrying flight would use a more gentle angle.

Pt

The Gardner Was: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<t4fr3t$isu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72607&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72607

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: The Gardner Was: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author
Was Selling?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:55:22 +1200
 by: Titus G - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 04:55 UTC

On 27/04/22 11:22, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <sbKdnaua4o5qy_X_nZ2dnZeNn_rNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> Leif Roar Moldskred <leifm@huldreheim.Home> wrote:
>> Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, I didn't consider _that_ possibility either. I figured it was
>>> the ghost of her nephew, because that's whose grave she
>>> was looking for - Mary Magdelene sought the grave of Jesus,
>>> and she met Jesus.
>>
>> I suppose the contextual clues doesn't land with the same "obviousness
>> in hindsight" for modern readers as they would have for the story's
>> original audience,
>
> Quite true. What's the date of the story? Between the World
> Wars, anyway; a great many more English people were Church of
> England in fact as well as in name. And were very much likelier
> to have "She thought he was the gardener" go off like Big Ben in
> their heads.
>
> but the story's rug-pull is that he had not been
>> her _nephew_.
>
> No more than John was Mary's son _strictu sensu_. But Jesus
> said, "There is your son; there is your mother," and they took
> him at his word and adopted each other.

No. Please don't shoot the messenger but that is completely irrelevant
as the whole point of the story was not Christ mistaken for the gardener
but God's revelation, (rug pull), that her 'nephew' was actually her son
and his forgiveness of her life of deceit. There would be no need for
such detail otherwise and the mysterious confrontation with the other
woman with a deceitful cover for visiting the graveyard would otherwise
make no sense.

Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<lfssji-inl.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72611&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72611

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:50:06 +1000
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:50 UTC

On 29/04/2022 05:03, William Hyde wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 6:38:06 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:22:40 -0700 (PDT), Ross Presser
>> <rpre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There's no luck involved. If you understand the rules and follow
>> them, they can't cashier you. Everyone who left the service in the
>> book did it either voluntarily or as the result of a major violation
>> of the regulations.
>> I have searched the entire text of the novel using the keyword "hate"
>> and separately the keyword "civilian" and can't find a statement to
>> that effect.
>

> The line is by Frankel, towards the end of basic training:
>
> "and will wind up with one more civilian who will be against us for the rest of his days".

Here's the entire paragraph, Frankel to Zim when Zim comes back and asks
to be assigned to a combat position:

"You’d have to take your turn, I outrank you. What do you think I’ve
been wishing the past hour? What do you think I was afraid of from the
moment I saw you come in here sporting a shiner? I did my best to brush
it off with administrative punishment and the young fool wouldn’t let
well enough alone. But I never thought he would be crazy enough to blurt
out that he had hung one on you — he’sstupid ; you should have eased him
out of the outfit weeks ago... instead of nursing him along until he got
into trouble. But blurt it out he did, to me, in front of witnesses,
forcing me to take of official notice of it — and that licked us. No way
to get it off the record, no way to avoid a court... just go through the
whole dreary mess and take our medicine, and wind up with one more
civilian who’ll be against us the rest of his days. Because he has to be
flogged; neither you nor I can take it for him, even though the fault
was ours. Because the regiment has to see what happens when
nine-oh-eight-oh is violated. Our fault... but his lumps."

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<iemo6hlp0nsb7u7ur0337u46dfbgn6fs7j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=72651&group=rec.arts.sf.written#72651

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:57:35 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:57 UTC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:50:06 +1000, "Gary R. Schmidt"
<grschmidt@acm.org> wrote:

>On 29/04/2022 05:03, William Hyde wrote:
>> On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 6:38:06 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:

>>> There's no luck involved. If you understand the rules and follow
>>> them, they can't cashier you. Everyone who left the service in the
>>> book did it either voluntarily or as the result of a major violation
>>> of the regulations.
>>> I have searched the entire text of the novel using the keyword "hate"
>>> and separately the keyword "civilian" and can't find a statement to
>>> that effect.
>>

>> The line is by Frankel, towards the end of basic training:
>>
>> "and will wind up with one more civilian who will be against us for the rest of his days".
>>
>Here's the entire paragraph, Frankel to Zim when Zim comes back and asks
>to be assigned to a combat position:
>
>"You’d have to take your turn, I outrank you. What do you think I’ve
>been wishing the past hour? What do you think I was afraid of from the
>moment I saw you come in here sporting a shiner? I did my best to brush
>it off with administrative punishment and the young fool wouldn’t let
>well enough alone. But I never thought he would be crazy enough to blurt
>out that he had hung one on you — he’sstupid ; you should have eased him
>out of the outfit weeks ago... instead of nursing him along until he got
>into trouble. But blurt it out he did, to me, in front of witnesses,
>forcing me to take of official notice of it — and that licked us. No way
>to get it off the record, no way to avoid a court... just go through the
>whole dreary mess and take our medicine, and wind up with one more
>civilian who’ll be against us the rest of his days. Because he has to be
>flogged; neither you nor I can take it for him, even though the fault
>was ours. Because the regiment has to see what happens when
>nine-oh-eight-oh is violated. Our fault... but his lumps."

And that doesn't alter anything I said. He violated the rules in a
major way and after due process of law was separated from the service.
Nobody prevented him from joining. And if he had not been stupid
enough to (a) punch his sergeant, (b) refuse to accept administrative
discipline, and (c) stated in front of the sergeant's commanding
officer that he had punched said sergeant, therefore compelling said
commanding officer to take official notice of the fact, he would have
continued serving.

There's no inconsistency at all.

Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<sq097htekgp9pkgcqijpkon4ne6mhv0v9g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73025&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73025

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 22:09:49 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Fri, 6 May 2022 02:09 UTC

On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 02:03:25 -0600, David Johnston
<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Cold Equations by Tom Godwin: The margins can't be that tight.
> They'd be dying all the time

Poor people do die all the time.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Stories Where You Just Didn't Buy What The Author Was Selling?

<a1197hdem6c10jufaqqq69j7848lhofurh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73026&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73026

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 22:13:22 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Fri, 6 May 2022 02:13 UTC

On Thu, 05 May 2022 22:09:49 -0400, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 02:03:25 -0600, David Johnston
><davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The Cold Equations by Tom Godwin: The margins can't be that tight.
>> They'd be dying all the time
>
>Poor people do die all the time.

I wasn't aware that starship pilots were poor people.