From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [tears] Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 13:25:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:25 UTC

Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/in-every-possible-way

A collection of short stories from early in Haldeman's career.

Re: [tears] Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman

<20220508a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73143&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73143

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: [tears] Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 18:26:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sun, 8 May 2022 18:26 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:
> Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/in-every-possible-way
>
> A collection of short stories from early in Haldeman's career.

The preface of "Howard Hughes: A Modest Proposal:"

... I admire the work of John Dos Passos, especially the
USA trilogy, and wanted to borrow his intricate technique
for a science fiction novel. I wanted to boil it down,
make it even more rapid and nervous. This story was the
test case, and I liked it, so I used the technique for
Mindbridge (St. Martins Press, 1976), which I think is my
best novel, so far.

is actually the best part of the story, for me. Because Haldeman shares
my goal to channel the voice of another author. In my case the goal is
to channel Forest Ackerman's style in my Perry Rhodan reviews.

"Proposal"'s numbered Swiss accounts may only be a fond memory these
days. Some say Swiss banks are reluctant to open accounts for a merry
kins due to the kins' nosy, greedy goobermint.

Contrast and compare Oval Office reactions to a nearby nuke. "Proposal"
first:

It's in a public parking lot on 14th Street. The police-"
"Northwest?"
"Yes, sir."
"Good God. That's only a few blocks from here."

And now _Molon Labe!_ (Party):

[President] Connor shakes his head. "Four months!" Carried
by /donkeys/ they could be /anywhere/ by now, even in some
U Street basement two miles from here!"
The Oval Office was never more quiet as each man visualized
himself within the blast radius.

Salon shares this stupefactive anecdote about "Proposal:"

Author Joe Haldeman has spoken about the unintended influence
of a short story he published in the Magazine of Science Fiction &
Fantasy in 1974. In "To Howard Hughes: A Modest Proposal," a
blackmailer forces world disarmament by developing his own
nuclear bomb. Haldeman says the story contained "pretty detailed
instructions for acquiring plutonium and constructing a
subcritical nuclear device (information not that easy to find,
pre-Internet, but nothing classified) ... [Someone] used the
story as a template and wrote a blackmail letter to the mayor
of Los Angeles, saying he had a van parked somewhere downtown
with a nuclear bomb in it, and he'd blow it up in 24 hours if
he didn't get a million dollars, delivered to such-and-such a
park at noon. Evidently the details were accurate enough for
them to respond with a suitcase full of money, and of course
a park full of agents disguised as normal people. The miscreant
turned out to be a 15-year-old science fiction fan."

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: [tears] Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman

<60ei7h58lakcc1e7821ju44e3hkq91ulg3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73177&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73177

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 08:53:58 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:53 UTC

On Sun, 8 May 2022 18:26:20 -0000 (UTC), Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:

>James Nicoll wrote:
>> Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman
>>
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/in-every-possible-way
>>
>> A collection of short stories from early in Haldeman's career.
>
>The preface of "Howard Hughes: A Modest Proposal:"
>
> ... I admire the work of John Dos Passos, especially the
> USA trilogy, and wanted to borrow his intricate technique
> for a science fiction novel. I wanted to boil it down,
> make it even more rapid and nervous. This story was the
> test case, and I liked it, so I used the technique for
> Mindbridge (St. Martins Press, 1976), which I think is my
> best novel, so far.
>
>is actually the best part of the story, for me. Because Haldeman shares
>my goal to channel the voice of another author. In my case the goal is
>to channel Forest Ackerman's style in my Perry Rhodan reviews.
>
>"Proposal"'s numbered Swiss accounts may only be a fond memory these
>days. Some say Swiss banks are reluctant to open accounts for a merry
>kins due to the kins' nosy, greedy goobermint.

They got badly burned when the USA subsidiary of one of them decided
to /sell tax evasion/ as a financial plan.

They shouldn't be blaming the IRS and our courts. They should be
blaming whoever thought /explicitly and deliberately helping people
break the law/ was a good idea.

BTW, if we took these "tax havens" /seriouisly/, we would cut /them/
off fromt the global banking system and force their depositors to deal
with them in person and in cash.

>Contrast and compare Oval Office reactions to a nearby nuke. "Proposal"
>first:
>
> It's in a public parking lot on 14th Street. The police-"
> "Northwest?"
> "Yes, sir."
> "Good God. That's only a few blocks from here."
>
>And now _Molon Labe!_ (Party):
>
> [President] Connor shakes his head. "Four months!" Carried
> by /donkeys/ they could be /anywhere/ by now, even in some
> U Street basement two miles from here!"
> The Oval Office was never more quiet as each man visualized
> himself within the blast radius.
>
>Salon shares this stupefactive anecdote about "Proposal:"
>
> Author Joe Haldeman has spoken about the unintended influence
> of a short story he published in the Magazine of Science Fiction &
> Fantasy in 1974. In "To Howard Hughes: A Modest Proposal," a
> blackmailer forces world disarmament by developing his own
> nuclear bomb. Haldeman says the story contained "pretty detailed
> instructions for acquiring plutonium and constructing a
> subcritical nuclear device (information not that easy to find,
> pre-Internet, but nothing classified) ... [Someone] used the
> story as a template and wrote a blackmail letter to the mayor
> of Los Angeles, saying he had a van parked somewhere downtown
> with a nuclear bomb in it, and he'd blow it up in 24 hours if
> he didn't get a million dollars, delivered to such-and-such a
> park at noon. Evidently the details were accurate enough for
> them to respond with a suitcase full of money, and of course
> a park full of agents disguised as normal people. The miscreant
> turned out to be a 15-year-old science fiction fan."

The third Abominable Batman Movie featured such a van roaming the
streets of Gotham City.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: [tears] Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman

<t5bq46$uji$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73183&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73183

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 14:30:16 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 9 May 2022 19:30 UTC

On 5/9/2022 10:53 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2022 18:26:20 -0000 (UTC), Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>
>> James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman
>>>
>>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/in-every-possible-way
>>>
>>> A collection of short stories from early in Haldeman's career.
>>
>> The preface of "Howard Hughes: A Modest Proposal:"
>>
>> ... I admire the work of John Dos Passos, especially the
>> USA trilogy, and wanted to borrow his intricate technique
>> for a science fiction novel. I wanted to boil it down,
>> make it even more rapid and nervous. This story was the
>> test case, and I liked it, so I used the technique for
>> Mindbridge (St. Martins Press, 1976), which I think is my
>> best novel, so far.
>>
>> is actually the best part of the story, for me. Because Haldeman shares
>> my goal to channel the voice of another author. In my case the goal is
>> to channel Forest Ackerman's style in my Perry Rhodan reviews.
>>
>> "Proposal"'s numbered Swiss accounts may only be a fond memory these
>> days. Some say Swiss banks are reluctant to open accounts for a merry
>> kins due to the kins' nosy, greedy goobermint.
>
> They got badly burned when the USA subsidiary of one of them decided
> to /sell tax evasion/ as a financial plan.
>
> They shouldn't be blaming the IRS and our courts. They should be
> blaming whoever thought /explicitly and deliberately helping people
> break the law/ was a good idea.
>
> BTW, if we took these "tax havens" /seriouisly/, we would cut /them/
> off fromt the global banking system and force their depositors to deal
> with them in person and in cash.

This is why China and Russia are creating their own international
banking system.
https://www.businessinsider.com/china-russia-alternative-swift-payment-cips-spfs-yuan-ruble-dollar-2022-4

Lynn

Re: [tears] Infinite Dreams by Joe Haldeman

<20220606a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74798&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74798

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 22:48:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 22:48 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul S Person wrote:
>> Don wrote:

>>> The preface of "Howard Hughes: A Modest Proposal:"
>>>
>>> ... I admire the work of John Dos Passos, especially the
>>> USA trilogy, and wanted to borrow his intricate technique
>>> for a science fiction novel. I wanted to boil it down,
>>> make it even more rapid and nervous. This story was the
>>> test case, and I liked it, so I used the technique for
>>> Mindbridge (St. Martins Press, 1976), which I think is my
>>> best novel, so far.
>>>
>>> is actually the best part of the story, for me. Because Haldeman shares
>>> my goal to channel the voice of another author. In my case the goal is
>>> to channel Forest Ackerman's style in my Perry Rhodan reviews.
>>>
>>> "Proposal"'s numbered Swiss accounts may only be a fond memory these
>>> days. Some say Swiss banks are reluctant to open accounts for a merry
>>> kins due to the kins' nosy, greedy goobermint.
>>
>> They got badly burned when the USA subsidiary of one of them decided
>> to /sell tax evasion/ as a financial plan.
>>
>> They shouldn't be blaming the IRS and our courts. They should be
>> blaming whoever thought /explicitly and deliberately helping people
>> break the law/ was a good idea.
>>
>> BTW, if we took these "tax havens" /seriouisly/, we would cut /them/
>> off fromt the global banking system and force their depositors to deal
>> with them in person and in cash.
>
> This is why China and Russia are creating their own international
> banking system.
>
> https://www.businessinsider.com/china-russia-alternative-swift-payment-cips-spfs-yuan-ruble-dollar-2022-4

In his review James mentions _Alongside Night_ (Schulman)'s nuclear
blackmail. The nuclear story element eluded my memory at first. So it,
the Schulman, was re-read (actually an audio book was re-heard).
IIRC both _Alongside Night_ and its audio-book were acquired by me
about ten years ago, back when David Friedman and Shawn Wilson posted
here. Back when a movie adaptation of _Alongside Night_ coincidentally
debuted. (The original story works much better for me than the
adaptation.)
And, from my perspective, the first two acts of the story are much
more enjoyable than the third act, where a USA military mutiny and
nuclear blackmail occur. The whole notion of a both literally and
figuratively underground economy, portrayed in the first two acts,
piques my imagination in the same the manner as the "Great Tennessee Pot
Cave:"

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/the-great-tennessee-pot-cave-pics-video.80071/

Although a marijuana cave may pique my imagination, cannabis itself is
never consumed by me. The underground complex setting in Schulman's
story contains a cannabis shop and a library, with these book titles
included:

_Human Action_ by Ludwig von Mises
_Atlas Shrugged_ by Ayn Rand,
_Counter-Economics_ by Samuel Edward Konkin III
_The Probability Broach_ by L. Neil Smith
_Power and Market_ by Murray N. Rothbard
_The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ by Robert A. Heinlein
_Anarquía_ by Brad Linaweaver and J. Kent Hastings
_Kings of the High Frontier_ by Victor Koman
_Wiemar, 1923_ by Martin Vreeland

The last one's a fictional work of fiction - Martin Vreeland's a
character in _Alongside Night_, a Tom Friedman analog. Anyhow, all of
the other titles comprise my near-future non-PR to-be-read. A
Heinlein audio-book's currently about half way finished.

In the end, Lynn, adherents to Austrian economics believe the financial
world is in the midst of a crack-up boom.

Danke,