From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake
Rossen
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 23:53:36 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 12 May 2022 04:53 UTC

"Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/known-alias-how-stephen-king-was-outed-as-richard-bachman?

"A bookstore clerk reads through King’s deception, kicking off the final
chapter in the story of Richard Bachman."

Interesting. And yes, I view Stephen King as a SF (speculative fiction)
author. Actually, mostly dark fantasy.

I believe that Stephen King is the second most successful author in
modern USA history. The first being James Patterson.

Lynn

Re: "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen

<0223f731-c77f-4fde-905c-f9ad423708c1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73325&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73325

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 09:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by
Jake Rossen
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Thu, 12 May 2022 16:11 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen
>
> https://getpocket.com/explore/item/known-alias-how-stephen-king-was-outed-as-richard-bachman?
>
> "A bookstore clerk reads through King’s deception, kicking off the final
> chapter in the story of Richard Bachman."
>
> Interesting. And yes, I view Stephen King as a SF (speculative fiction)
> author. Actually, mostly dark fantasy.
>
> I believe that Stephen King is the second most successful author in
> modern USA history. The first being James Patterson.

He wrote some essay where he mentioned his pseudonym, comparing it to if the Beatles had really gone out as "Billy Shears and Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," and he concludes that they would have been recognized into their first song.
Sounds like he used his "trunk novels," equivalent to the Beatles German bar tour tapes.

--
-Jack

Re: "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen

<87f0d18c-a530-4829-ad40-011d341e62a2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73351&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73351

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 17:42:06 -0700 (PDT)
Jake Rossen
From: blue...@ivillage.com (Moriarty)
 by: Moriarty - Fri, 13 May 2022 00:42 UTC

On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 2:11:11 AM UTC+10, jack....@gmail.com wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen
> >
> > https://getpocket.com/explore/item/known-alias-how-stephen-king-was-outed-as-richard-bachman?
> >
> > "A bookstore clerk reads through King’s deception, kicking off the final
> > chapter in the story of Richard Bachman."
> >
> > Interesting. And yes, I view Stephen King as a SF (speculative fiction)
> > author. Actually, mostly dark fantasy.

I think you could count on one hand his stories that DON'T have a science fiction or fantasy aspect. "Misery" is one that leaps to mind, I'm sure there others.

> > I believe that Stephen King is the second most successful author in
> > modern USA history. The first being James Patterson.

> He wrote some essay where he mentioned his pseudonym, comparing it to if the Beatles had really gone out as "Billy Shears and Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," and he concludes that they would have been recognized into their first song.
> Sounds like he used his "trunk novels," equivalent to the Beatles German bar tour tapes.

That essay is, appropriately enough, in the introduction to "The Bachman Books". Sadly, my copy is loaned so I can't quote the appropriate bits.

-Moriarty

Re: "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen

<edbac390-1ecf-4b35-b4f9-7f0ede1ed37an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73354&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73354

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 18:39:24 -0700 (PDT)
Jake Rossen
From: tonynanc...@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Fri, 13 May 2022 01:39 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 8:42:09 PM UTC-4, Moriarty wrote:
> On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 2:11:11 AM UTC+10, jack....@gmail.com wrote:
> > Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > > "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen
> > >
> > > https://getpocket.com/explore/item/known-alias-how-stephen-king-was-outed-as-richard-bachman?
> > >
> > > "A bookstore clerk reads through King’s deception, kicking off the final
> > > chapter in the story of Richard Bachman."
> > >
> > > Interesting. And yes, I view Stephen King as a SF (speculative fiction)
> > > author. Actually, mostly dark fantasy.
> I think you could count on one hand his stories that DON'T have a science fiction or fantasy aspect. "Misery" is one that leaps to mind, I'm sure there others.
> > > I believe that Stephen King is the second most successful author in
> > > modern USA history. The first being James Patterson.
>
> > He wrote some essay where he mentioned his pseudonym, comparing it to if the Beatles had really gone out as "Billy Shears and Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," and he concludes that they would have been recognized into their first song.
> > Sounds like he used his "trunk novels," equivalent to the Beatles German bar tour tapes.
>
> That essay is, appropriately enough, in the introduction to "The Bachman Books". Sadly, my copy is loaned so I can't quote the appropriate bits.

Oh hey - I have that downstairs...<gone a minute>...ah, here we go:
Quoted from "Why I Was Bachman" by Stephen King:
"...
In 1968 or 1969, Paul McCartney said a wistful and startling thing
in an interview. He said the Beatles had discussed the idea of
going out on the road as a bar band named Randy and the Rockets.
They would wear hokey capes and masks a la Count Five, he said,
so no one would recognize them, and they would just have a
rave-up, like in the old days.

When the interviewer suggested they would be recognized by their
voices, Paul seemed at first startled...and then a bit appalled.

<skip three paragraphs>

Memo to Paul McCartney, if he's there: the interviewer was right.
They would have recognized your voices, but before you even
opened your mouths, they would have recognized George's
guitar licks. I did five books as Randy and the Rockets, and
I've been getting letters asking me if I was Richard Bachman
from the very beginning.

...."

Tony

Re: "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen

<b80t7hdbr7j2dr699sgjtk4uor98np37p4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73391&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73391

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:03:17 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:03 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 17:42:06 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty
<blues95@ivillage.com> wrote:

>On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 2:11:11 AM UTC+10, jack....@gmail.com wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> > "Known Alias: How Stephen King Was Outed as Richard Bachman" by Jake Rossen
>> >
>> > https://getpocket.com/explore/item/known-alias-how-stephen-king-was-outed-as-richard-bachman?
>> >
>> > "A bookstore clerk reads through King’s deception, kicking off the final
>> > chapter in the story of Richard Bachman."
>> >
>> > Interesting. And yes, I view Stephen King as a SF (speculative fiction)
>> > author. Actually, mostly dark fantasy.
>
>I think you could count on one hand his stories that DON'T have a science fiction or fantasy aspect. "Misery" is one that leaps to mind, I'm sure there others.

/Dolores Claiborne/, which made a very good (IMHO) movie, would appear
to be another. Well, unless the book is different.

--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."