All is fear in love and war.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

SubjectAuthor
* A Nice Little Haul TodayTony Nance
+* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayLynn McGuire
|`* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayTony Nance
| `- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayLynn McGuire
+* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayJames Nicoll
|+* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayAndrew McDowell
||`* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayMichael F. Stemper
|| `* Re: A Nice Little Haul Todayted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||  +* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayMichael F. Stemper
||  |+* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayDon
||  ||`- Re: A Nice Little Haul Todayted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||  |`* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayTony Nance
||  | `- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayMichael F. Stemper
||  `* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayRichard Todd
||   `* Re: A Nice Little Haul Todayted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||    +* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayMichael F. Stemper
||    |`* Re: A Nice Little Haul Todayted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||    | +- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayRobert Woodward
||    | `* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayDon
||    |  +* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayAhasuerus
||    |  |`* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayDon
||    |  | `* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayJack Bohn
||    |  |  `- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayAhasuerus
||    |  `- Re: A Nice Little Haul Todayted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||    `- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayJames Nicoll
|`- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayTony Nance
+* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayJack Bohn
|`- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayJames Nicoll
`* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayMichael F. Stemper
 +* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayJames Nicoll
 |+- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayMichael F. Stemper
 |`* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayRobert Carnegie
 | `* Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayTony Nance
 |  `- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayRobert Carnegie
 +- Re: A Nice Little Haul Todayted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 `- Re: A Nice Little Haul TodayTony Nance

Pages:12
Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<je8lj6Fk8cdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73430&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73430

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: A Nice Little Haul Today
Date: 14 May 2022 03:22:14 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 14 May 2022 03:22 UTC

In article <x71qwxqb7n.fsf@ichotolot.servalan.com>,
Richard Todd <rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com> wrote:
>ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>
>> What was the one that Ackerman serialized in Perry Rhodan?
>
>William B. Ellern's _New Lensman_. It was better than the Kyle novels,
>and took considerably fewer liberties with Smith's background setting,
>being basically the story of one Triplanetary Service
>agent-turned-Lensman assigned to Copernicus City on the Moon and having
>to foil Boskonian terrorist plot duriing the time of _First Lensman_.

OK, thanks!

Hmm. The cover image I can bring up says "Orbit" for the imprint of the
paperback, and I don't see a price. Was that a British label? Wonder
why I never saw this except in PR. I certainly would have bought it.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<t5oahf$39n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73437&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73437

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 08:23:42 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Sat, 14 May 2022 13:23 UTC

On 13/05/2022 22.22, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <x71qwxqb7n.fsf@ichotolot.servalan.com>,
> Richard Todd <rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com> wrote:
>> ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>>
>>> What was the one that Ackerman serialized in Perry Rhodan?
>>
>> William B. Ellern's _New Lensman_. It was better than the Kyle novels,
>> and took considerably fewer liberties with Smith's background setting,
>> being basically the story of one Triplanetary Service
>> agent-turned-Lensman assigned to Copernicus City on the Moon and having
>> to foil Boskonian terrorist plot duriing the time of _First Lensman_.
>
> OK, thanks!
>
> Hmm. The cover image I can bring up says "Orbit" for the imprint of the
> paperback, and I don't see a price. Was that a British label? Wonder
> why I never saw this except in PR. I certainly would have bought it.

The ISFDB entry:
<http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?211509>
gives a price of £0.60

--
Michael F. Stemper
There's no "me" in "team". There's no "us" in "team", either.

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<t5od5l$oq1$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73438&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73438

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 14:08:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sat, 14 May 2022 14:08 UTC

In article <je8lj6Fk8cdU1@mid.individual.net>,
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>In article <x71qwxqb7n.fsf@ichotolot.servalan.com>,
>Richard Todd <rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com> wrote:
>>ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>>
>>> What was the one that Ackerman serialized in Perry Rhodan?
>>
>>William B. Ellern's _New Lensman_. It was better than the Kyle novels,
>>and took considerably fewer liberties with Smith's background setting,
>>being basically the story of one Triplanetary Service
>>agent-turned-Lensman assigned to Copernicus City on the Moon and having
>>to foil Boskonian terrorist plot duriing the time of _First Lensman_.
>
>OK, thanks!
>
>Hmm. The cover image I can bring up says "Orbit" for the imprint of the
>paperback, and I don't see a price. Was that a British label? Wonder
>why I never saw this except in PR. I certainly would have bought it.

That is indeed the British Orbit, which is now part of the Hachette-verse.
Hachette created an American arm of Orbit, but far too recently to have
published Ellern.

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<jea1huFsq19U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73444&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73444

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 14 May 2022 15:52:30 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 14 May 2022 15:52 UTC

In article <t5oahf$39n$1@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 13/05/2022 22.22, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <x71qwxqb7n.fsf@ichotolot.servalan.com>,
>> Richard Todd <rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com> wrote:

>>> William B. Ellern's _New Lensman_. It was better than the Kyle novels,
>>> and took considerably fewer liberties with Smith's background setting,
>>> being basically the story of one Triplanetary Service
>>> agent-turned-Lensman assigned to Copernicus City on the Moon and having
>>> to foil Boskonian terrorist plot duriing the time of _First Lensman_.
>>
>> OK, thanks!
>>
>> Hmm. The cover image I can bring up says "Orbit" for the imprint of the
>> paperback, and I don't see a price. Was that a British label? Wonder
>> why I never saw this except in PR. I certainly would have bought it.
>
>The ISFDB entry:
><http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?211509>
>gives a price of £0.60

Interesting, so UK only until Forry picked it up. One of the links
there suggests Ellern may still be with us.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<robertaw-06A5A2.09512314052022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73451&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73451

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 09:51:23 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sat, 14 May 2022 16:51 UTC

In article <jea1huFsq19U1@mid.individual.net>,
ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> In article <t5oahf$39n$1@dont-email.me>,
> Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 13/05/2022 22.22, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> >> OK, thanks!
> >>
> >> Hmm. The cover image I can bring up says "Orbit" for the imprint of the
> >> paperback, and I don't see a price. Was that a British label? Wonder
> >> why I never saw this except in PR. I certainly would have bought it.
> >
> >The ISFDB entry:
> ><http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?211509>
> >gives a price of £0.60
> >

> Interesting, so UK only until Forry picked it up. One of the links
> there suggests Ellern may still be with us.

I see that one chapter was published as "Moon Prospector" in Analog in
the 60s. Forry also serialized another Ellern Lensman title,
_Triplanetary Agent_ (which only appeared in Ace run of Perry Rhodan,
#100-105).

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<20220514a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73453&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73453

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 17:42:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 14 May 2022 17:42 UTC

Ted Nolan wrote:
> Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>> Ted Nolan wrote:

>>> OK, thanks!
>>>
>>> Hmm. The cover image I can bring up says "Orbit" for the imprint of the
>>> paperback, and I don't see a price. Was that a British label? Wonder
>>> why I never saw this except in PR. I certainly would have bought it.
>>
>>The ISFDB entry:
>><http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?211509>
>>gives a price of ??0.60
>>

> Interesting, so UK only until Forry picked it up. One of the links
> there suggests Ellern may still be with us.

isfdb shows it the other way around. It says Forry first published
_New Lensman_ in 1975: <http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?678313>.
And a year later Futura published it, presumably for the first time in
/Great Britain/.

There's an enigma as to how a story dated 1976-00-00 by isfdb appears in
my pulpy printed paperback "Copywrite 1975 by Ace Books." _New Lensman_'s
serialization commences in _#61 Death Waits in Semispace_ and continues
in _#62 The Last Days of Atlantis_.
It's probably time for me to resume my PR reading adventure.
Although Atlan's <https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Atlan_da_Gonozal>
arguably almost as popular as Perry Rhodan himself, it's hard for me to
fathom why. Who knows? Perhaps lots of ladies see Atlan as an unbraided
platinum blonde male analog to the bigley, buxom, breastplated, braided
blonde cover girl mentioned in _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_
(PKD)? At any rate, Atlan's lavishly long locks are enough to give Brad
Pitt an inferiority complex.

In the end, there's more to the _New Lensman_ story. The Lensman FAQ
provides this provenance:

William B. Ellern wrote a short piece called "MOON PROSPECTOR,"
set in the Lensman universe. It was published, with EES' knowledge
and approval, in the April, 1966 "ANALOG." Michael Richards and
James Corrick have provided further info: additions to this story
were serialized as "NEW LENSMAN" in "PERRY RHODAN" books #61-#74,
inclusive, about 1975, and followed by a stand-alone novella called
"TRIPLANETARY AGENT," which appeared in "PERRY RHODAN" books #100-#105,
inclusive, in 1976. "TRIPLANETARY AGENT" has apparently never been
reprinted, and is reported as very poor writing; it uses the same main
character as "NEW LENSMAN."
The novel version, "NEW LENSMAN," compositing "MOON PROSPECTOR" and
"NEW LENSMAN," was printed by Futura in 1976. James Corrick describes
"NEW LENSMAN"'s use as a framing encapsulation for "MOON PROSPECTOR,"
which appears as chapters 8, 9, 12, 14, and 17 of the book; and says
that the two stories appear to have no characters in common. Reports
on quality of the book vary from "putrid" to "tolerable." I haven't
read the book version, primarily due to having read the magazine piece.

(excerpt)

<http://decomposed.outel.org/goe/lensfaq.html>

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<972a8bb4-19a9-426a-8687-73d41c8df41en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73455&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73455

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 11:50:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Sat, 14 May 2022 18:50 UTC

On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 1:42:28 PM UTC-4, Don wrote:
> Ted Nolan wrote:
> > Michael F. Stemper wrote:

> >>The ISFDB entry:
> >><http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?211509>
> >>gives a price of ??0.60
> >>

> > Interesting, so UK only until Forry picked it up. One of the links
> > there suggests Ellern may still be with us.
> isfdb shows it the other way around. It says Forry first published
> _New Lensman_ in 1975: <http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?678313>.
> And a year later Futura published it, presumably for the first time in
> /Great Britain/.
>
> There's an enigma as to how a story dated 1976-00-00 by isfdb appears in
> my pulpy printed paperback "Copywrite 1975 by Ace Books." [snip]

1975 is the year of the first serialization while 1976 is the year of the first
book publication. See
http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/Help:Use_of_the_SERIAL_type#Date_Rule
for a discussion of the reasons behind the ISFDB's dating rules for
serials and standalone publications.

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<20220514b@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73457&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73457

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 19:30:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 14 May 2022 19:30 UTC

Ahasuerus wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> Ted Nolan wrote:

>> > Interesting, so UK only until Forry picked it up. One of the links
>> > there suggests Ellern may still be with us.
>> isfdb shows it the other way around. It says Forry first published
>> _New Lensman_ in 1975: <http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?678313>.
>> And a year later Futura published it, presumably for the first time in
>> /Great Britain/.
>>
>> There's an enigma as to how a story dated 1976-00-00 by isfdb appears in
>> my pulpy printed paperback "Copywrite 1975 by Ace Books." [snip]
>
> 1975 is the year of the first serialization while 1976 is the year of the first
> book publication. See
> http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/Help:Use_of_the_SERIAL_type#Date_Rule
> for a discussion of the reasons behind the ISFDB's dating rules for
> serials and standalone publications.

1976 makes even more sense given _New Lensman_'s provenance.
<http://decomposed.outel.org/goe/lensfaq.html> says it first appeared as
"Moon Prospector" in _analog_ April 1966. Then it was embellished to
become _New Lensman_ in the PR serialization. Finally, Futura published
a mashup of "Moon Prospector" and _New Lensman_ in 1976 and under the
_New Lensman_ title. So, _New Lensman_ actually pertains to two
different, yet simultaneously similar, stories. One serialized in 1975
and the other published as a novel in 1976.

Ahasuerus, you have my sympathy with your herculean efforts to organize
the chaotic, sometimes meta-stream-of-conscious, spiel known as SF. The
last thing you need is more chaos. Sorry.

Although <http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?958455> lists Virgil
Finlay as the author of "Course Perilous." Both my printed Ace pulp and
a _Cosmos_ ebook show Edward E. Smith, Ph.D. as its author.
<https://cosmos-serial.com/cosmos-the-serial/chapter-13-what-a-course-by-edward-e-smith-ph-d/>

The eBook lists the title as "What a Course!" But the story itself is
identical to the PR paperback.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<4eae9bb2-98d6-4a4b-a46a-196dbc15ebabn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73463&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73463

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 13:05:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Sat, 14 May 2022 20:05 UTC

Among the things Don wrote:

> So, _New Lensman_ actually pertains to two
> different, yet simultaneously similar, stories. One serialized in 1975
> and the other published as a novel in 1976.

> Although <http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?958455> lists Virgil
> Finlay as the author of "Course Perilous." Both my printed Ace pulp and
> a _Cosmos_ ebook show Edward E. Smith, Ph.D. as its author.
> <https://cosmos-serial.com/cosmos-the-serial/chapter-13-what-a-course-by-edward-e-smith-ph-d/>

The title "Course Perilous" simultaneously refers to two items. One a story by Smith, the other interior art by Finlay.

--
-Jack

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<163d2d90-58d4-45f8-96eb-06840a5e518fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73465&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73465

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 13:29:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Sat, 14 May 2022 20:29 UTC

On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 4:06:00 PM UTC-4, jack....@gmail.com wrote:
[snip]
> > Although <http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?958455> lists Virgil
> > Finlay as the author of "Course Perilous." Both my printed Ace pulp and
> > a _Cosmos_ ebook show Edward E. Smith, Ph.D. as its author.
> > <https://cosmos-serial.com/cosmos-the-serial/chapter-13-what-a-course-by-edward-e-smith-ph-d/>
> The title "Course Perilous" simultaneously refers to two items. One a
> story by Smith, the other interior art by Finlay.

That's right. The type of title record 958455, which was linked by Don,
is "INTERIORART". If you display publication record 208961
(http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?208961), you will see that it appears
on page 136. The related SERIAL title, "Cosmos: Chapter 13a: Course
Perilous! (Part 20 of 29)",
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?958235, starts on page 133.

Re: A Nice Little Haul Today

<jeb894F5bmbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73477&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73477

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 15 May 2022 02:53:24 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 15 May 2022 02:53 UTC

In article <20220514a@crcomp.net>, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>Ted Nolan wrote:
>> Michael F. Stemper wrote:

>>>The ISFDB entry:
>>><http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?211509>
>>>gives a price of ??0.60
>>>

>> Interesting, so UK only until Forry picked it up. One of the links
>> there suggests Ellern may still be with us.
>
>isfdb shows it the other way around. It says Forry first published
>_New Lensman_ in 1975: <http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?678313>.
>And a year later Futura published it, presumably for the first time in
>/Great Britain/.
>
>There's an enigma as to how a story dated 1976-00-00 by isfdb appears in
>my pulpy printed paperback "Copywrite 1975 by Ace Books." _New Lensman_'s
>serialization commences in _#61 Death Waits in Semispace_ and continues
>in _#62 The Last Days of Atlantis_.
> It's probably time for me to resume my PR reading adventure.
>Although Atlan's <https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Atlan_da_Gonozal>
>arguably almost as popular as Perry Rhodan himself, it's hard for me to
>fathom why. Who knows? Perhaps lots of ladies see Atlan as an unbraided
>platinum blonde male analog to the bigley, buxom, breastplated, braided
>blonde cover girl mentioned in _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_
>(PKD)? At any rate, Atlan's lavishly long locks are enough to give Brad
>Pitt an inferiority complex.
>
>In the end, there's more to the _New Lensman_ story. The Lensman FAQ
>provides this provenance:
>
> William B. Ellern wrote a short piece called "MOON PROSPECTOR,"
> set in the Lensman universe. It was published, with EES' knowledge
> and approval, in the April, 1966 "ANALOG." Michael Richards and
> James Corrick have provided further info: additions to this story
> were serialized as "NEW LENSMAN" in "PERRY RHODAN" books #61-#74,
> inclusive, about 1975, and followed by a stand-alone novella called
> "TRIPLANETARY AGENT," which appeared in "PERRY RHODAN" books #100-#105,
> inclusive, in 1976. "TRIPLANETARY AGENT" has apparently never been
> reprinted, and is reported as very poor writing; it uses the same main
> character as "NEW LENSMAN."
> The novel version, "NEW LENSMAN," compositing "MOON PROSPECTOR" and
> "NEW LENSMAN," was printed by Futura in 1976. James Corrick describes
> "NEW LENSMAN"'s use as a framing encapsulation for "MOON PROSPECTOR,"
> which appears as chapters 8, 9, 12, 14, and 17 of the book; and says
> that the two stories appear to have no characters in common. Reports
> on quality of the book vary from "putrid" to "tolerable." I haven't
> read the book version, primarily due to having read the magazine piece.
>
> (excerpt)
>
> <http://decomposed.outel.org/goe/lensfaq.html>
>
>Danke,

I remember reading _New Lensman_, and liking it though not as much
as Doc Smith. It may say something that the 70s were kind of Smith's
last publication hurrah, with the Pyramid editions of all the Lens,
Skylark and IPC out yet Pyramid (or any other US press) did not
pick up _New Lensman_

Still, I'm going to re-read it at some point.