Unless you love someone, nothing else makes any sense. -- e.e. cummings

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Misnamed series

SubjectAuthor
* Misnamed seriesDefault User
`- Re: Misnamed seriesRobert Carnegie

1
Misnamed series

<9c4bd51b-904d-4d76-b9d2-6050ba043da1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73552&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73552

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 23:22:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Misnamed series
From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
 by: Default User - Mon, 16 May 2022 06:22 UTC

Book series frequently have a name attached to them either by the author or book sellers. There have been a few that I have come across that really don't fit the actual books.

The Parker Interstellar Travels by Michael McCloskey. In the first book, we're introduced to the "travel company" that is actually a cover for a team that searches for and sells alien artifacts. By the middle of the first novel, the partners that founded the company are dead, and the surviving members are on the run.

Lunara Station by Clara Woods. The space station of that name exists, but events don't start there, and the protagonists make just two relatively short stops at it, at least over the first four books.

Brian

Re: Misnamed series

<a0bc2108-e1f2-489d-95ec-c5ab1de64830n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=73556&group=rec.arts.sf.written#73556

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 01:03:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Misnamed series
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Mon, 16 May 2022 08:03 UTC

On Monday, 16 May 2022 at 07:22:41 UTC+1, Default User wrote:
> Book series frequently have a name attached to them either by the author or book sellers. There have been a few that I have come across that really don't fit the actual books.
>
> The Parker Interstellar Travels by Michael McCloskey. In the first book, we're introduced to the "travel company" that is actually a cover for a team that searches for and sells alien artifacts. By the middle of the first novel, the partners that founded the company are dead, and the surviving members are on the run.
>
> Lunara Station by Clara Woods. The space station of that name exists, but events don't start there, and the protagonists make just two relatively short stops at it, at least over the first four books.

In those terms, _Empire Star_ may be a misnamed book,
but I suppose that's a spoiling remark, which is a risk in
this topic.

Consider Douglas Adams's cover of book five in
"the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhikers Trilogy."
That is, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_ and its
sequels, which in print, didn't precisely function as any such
Guide (you could order the actual Guide from Ursa Minor,
but the shipping fee was, ahem, astronomical), and did
have more coverage than its original radio version of this
presentation's claimed subject of /how/ the Guide is compiled
by freelance unreliable narrators. It did originally take time to
explain the minimal documentation of Earth, "Harmless", and
that once someone had actually /been/ here and sent a more
thorough report, it was expanded. "Mostly harmless."
Reasons of space. Words that would excuse many other
strange incidents in the story.