From: dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Dave's Dicelings Rant: Wave 1
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 03:55:03 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 03:55 UTC

Dave's Kinda-Transformers Rant: Dicelings

Themberchaud (red dragon)
Rakor (black dragon)
Beholder
Owlbear

These are D&D monsters that turn into large 20 sided dice (D20s).
While these have a lot of the trade dress of Transformers toys, and are
made by Hasbro, they are not branded as Transformers, hence not going in my
Transformers review directory. They're branded for the Dungeons & Dragons
Honor Among Thieves movie.
My set arrived in early January 2023, ordered from Pulse. Themberchaud
and Rakor share the same transformation and articulation but almost none of
the same parts.

CAPSULES

$14 at Hasbro Pulse, spotted at Target for $14 the day after my
pre-order arrived.

Themberchaud: Getting it solidly back in D20 form is a bit tricky, mine
tends to pop open when rolled too vigorously. Otherwise about as good a
transformation as you're gonna get from an organic form hidden inside a
geometric one, with good articulation. Mildly recommended.

Rakor: An almost complete new mold rather than a simple redeco of
Themberchaud, it has the same good and bad points, although its horns are
more likely to get warped. Mildly recommended.

Beholder: The most solid of the D20s, but due to some molded details it
is utterly unfair (it's almost impossible to roll a 1 or 2 on it). Decent
beholder with handy carry case built in. Mildly recommended.

Owlbear: The most complex transformation and most ambitious monster
mode, and I don't think the designers or the budget were quite up to it. It
does some things very well, and others very poorly. Overall, it balances out
to a mildly recommended rating.

While I'm not exactly enthusiastic about any of these, I'd say the
dragon molds are better than the other two, if you're looking to try just one
Diceling.

RANTS

Packaging: In minimal-plastic cardstock boxes on cards, the background
color is black. The cardbacks are 7.5" (19cm) tall and 6.5" (16.5cm) wide.
The lower left corner has the actual box, which is a little under 3.5" (8cm)
wide, 3.75" (9.5cm) tall, and 2.5" (6.5cm) deep, with the upper right corner
partially truncated. The front of the box part has a picture (render) of the
D20 mode, the top has small pictures of both modes with the "CHANGES" (in
several languages) claim. Not Converts, not Transforms. The left side
repeats the main card art but is mostly taken up by the claim of "PLASTIC
FREE PACKAGING*" and "*Except tape and glue" in five languages. The right
side of the box has a QR code over a D20 line art, it just goes to
playdnd.com, a generic parental guide thing. (The Pulse page has minimal
character information, but does advise people to keep an eye out in the movie
for the character/monster.)
The card has render of the beast mode in the upper left, while the right
side is dominated by painted-style art of the monster, with the movie logo in
the upper right and the Dicelings logo in the lower right. The top of the
cardback has larger pictures of the two modes, with the transformation steps
listed in the style of Transformers packaging, against the background of the
main card art. Lots of legalese on the bottom of the card and the bottom
face of the box.
Inside, the D20 mode is held between two corrugated cardboard pieces
that keep it steady, and tissue paper is wrapped around the entire die as
well as being placed between parts presumably to avoid paint damage. The
instructions and the usual massively multilingual safety sheet are folded up
and jammed in there.
The instructions are very similar to Transformers instructions, in black
and grayscale with red accent color, although they made sure to use different
fonts.

Dice Mode: Other than the two dragons, the dice modes are all slightly
different, but there's a few things they have in common. All are 2" (51mm)
between opposite faces, they all have the D&D dragon ampersand in place of
the 20, they all have molded but not painted numbers on all the other sides.
Sometimes the panel boundaries for transformation cross the center of a face,
in which case the number is off-center so that it doesn't have to be split.
The sides have magic runes or whatever around the edges where allowed by the
seams.
The balance is okay, I don't see them being particularly unfair, but
excessive rolling can make the seams pop which makes doing fairness testing
difficult. Suffice to say, there's just enough irregularities that I
wouldn't let players actually roll them in a game. In fact, the Pulse pages
for these say, "Just don't use this d20 for your tabletop game!"
These aren't my biggest D20s, but that's because I have a number of
novelty dice that are rather big, including an inflatable D20 that's the size
of a large beach ball. They make for a decent handful, though.

THEMBERCHAUD
Red Dragon
Transformation Steps: 8

D20 Mode: All red plastic with no paint except the gold on the dragon
ampersand. Some visible joints are a slightly brighter plastic, and under UV
light the joints stay dark while the rest of the plastic glows orange.
It was really tight straight out of the package, to the point I needed a
knife to get the panels open. That might have been due to the tissue,
though, because while I could eventually massage it shut, it doesn't hold
that well. The 1 face is full of joints and hinges, so the number is kinda
tucked in a small space off center. The dragon ampersand is raised no higher
than the numbers and all the faces are reasonably flat.

Transformation: As with a lot of shellmasters, you pull the shell sides
apart, unfold them into wings, and then sort of pull the dragon out of a
fetal position. It's easiest to get the shell apart by putting your thumbs
on the corners of the 20 side (dragon ampersand) and your fingers pushing in
on the 1 side. The waist is supposed to rotate 180 degrees, but I found it
works okay either way. Since the dragon has a lot of soft plastic and ball
joints, it's not unlikely that a limb will pop off by accident during
transformation.
Going back to D20 mode is difficult if you don't remember exactly where
things go (or use the instructions, I GUESS), since it's really just folding
an organic thing into a small enough ball that the wings can fold around it.
The neck needs to be centered so that the tail tip can wrap around the neck
spines, and the forepaws need to be rotated 180 degrees so that they can fold
up enough. Then the massage begins to get the shell to stay closed. I find
it works best if you get it closed, then open one shell side and press the
body in against the other closed side, repeat on the other side. Because
everything inside is rubbery and organic, there really isn't a way to be sure
things are seated correctly before you try and fail to get it to stay
closed.

Dragon Mode: Well, it's a decently organic dragon with unfolded dice
panels as wings. It's meant to be a quadruped, but it can be put in a
bipedal stance if you swing the wings back enough. While the whole thing is
red with a few bits of light tan bone/claw paint, there's a total of three
types of red plastic. Still, under normal light it's a pretty unified look.
Straightened out as much as possible, the dragon is 7.5" (19cm) from
snout to tail tip, with a wingspan of 7" (18cm). Any piece that has dice
detailing on any part of it (so the wings, most of the tail and torso, lower
neck) are made of the "UV glows orange" rigid orange-red plastic. The
non-glowing plastic used on the joints visible in D20 mode is also used on
the two middle segments of the rear legs and the one middle segment of each
foreleg. The hip pieces, feet, upper neck, all parts of the head, and the
tail tip are a rubbery orange-red plastic.
There's a light bone-tan paint on the horns, neck spines, spines along
the top of the tail segments, teeth, horn-beard, claws, and the scutes under
the neck and torso. The eyes are painted yellow. The wing membranes are
painted a slightly teal-shaded bright blue.
Lots of articulation, in part because of transformation joints. The
root of each wing is a hinge inside a swivel cylinder. Each wing has three
transformation folding hinges, two of them pinned. There's a sort of swivel
in mid-torso for transformation, but it's hard to use it with the wings
getting in the way. The neck has a hinge at its base for lifting up and
down, a swivel about halfway up, and connects to the head with a ball joint.
The lower jaw is hinged. The tail has lots of joints. From the root
outwards, there's a hinge that snaps into D20 position, a hinge and swivel
universal joint, another hinge, another hinge and swivel joint, and then a
hinge for the very tail tip that's off the main line of the tail. All the
hips and ankles are ball joints, and they can pop off pretty easily thanks to
the use of rubbery plastic. The forelegs have a single hinge elbow, while
the hind legs have a digitigrade style pair of hinges. Oddly, the front
elbows don't bend very far in the direction they're supposed to go in this
mode, but bend backwards pretty far for transformation.
Interestingly, there's a 3mm socket in the roof of the mouth, so that if
you happen to have 3mm peg Fire Blasts (like, say, from R.E.D. Bumblebee)
they can be placed in the mouth as fire breath. It's rubbery enough that a
1/8" Lego rod can be jammed in there too.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Dave's Dicelings Rant: Wave 1

<4bdd84dc-6b97-4efa-8d2f-cf1dfdb32270n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7393&group=alt.toys.transformers#7393

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 16:56:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Dave's Dicelings Rant: Wave 1
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 00:56 UTC