From: rod...@mutinybbs.com.remove-gc8-this (Rodion)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: What if German and Poland would like to reshape border?
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 06:16:21 -0500
 by: Rodion - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:16 UTC

What if these two countries - Germany and Poland - decide to retake whatever
they think belongs to other wrongly? This is not yet "impossible past" though
I don't think they will try ever so it may be considered past.

I heard now and then that Polish politicians sometimes want some financial
compensation for what Germany wrecked in their country in the course of WW2.
However I recently heard amusing opposite claim from one elderly German - he
explains some of historically German lands were occupied by Poles both after
WW1 and WW2 and it was one of the motivation to start the latter at all! I
tried to read about the history, but was quickly confused because Polish didn't
exist in some simple shape long - there was Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth at
some point, then it was split among Prussia, Russia and Austro-Hungary IIRC
and so on - so in 5 minutes my head went dizzy.

So if anyone can put to balance what these sides currently expect of each other
- what they may potentially gain (money, lands?) - and whether they can simply
have barter - I would be much thankful!
--- Synchronet 3.16c-Win32 NewsLink 1.103
MutinyBBS - telnet : mutinybbs.com:2332 - ssh : mutinybbs.com:2232

Re: What if German and Poland would like to reshape border?

<usl94g$odo$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7405&group=alt.history.what-if#7405

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:36:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:36 UTC

Rodion <rodion@mutinybbs.com.remove-gc8-this> wrote:
> What if these two countries - Germany and Poland - decide to retake whatever
> they think belongs to other wrongly? This is not yet "impossible past" though
> I don't think they will try ever so it may be considered past.
>
> I heard now and then that Polish politicians sometimes want some financial
> compensation for what Germany wrecked in their country in the course of WW2.
> However I recently heard amusing opposite claim from one elderly German - he
> explains some of historically German lands were occupied by Poles both after
> WW1 and WW2 and it was one of the motivation to start the latter at all! I
> tried to read about the history, but was quickly confused because Polish didn't
> exist in some simple shape long - there was Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth at
> some point, then it was split among Prussia, Russia and Austro-Hungary IIRC
> and so on - so in 5 minutes my head went dizzy.
>
> So if anyone can put to balance what these sides currently expect of each other
> - what they may potentially gain (money, lands?) - and whether they can simply
> have barter - I would be much thankful!

Is this a matter of alternative history?

I remember that in 1989-90 the ex-Allied powers were in a conniption about
any changes whatsoever being made to the Oder-Neisse line even to reunite
divided towns like Gubin and Goerlitz...Germany had to renounce any claim at all
to anything they ever had east of the line to get permission to reunify.

Are you asking how things could have gone differently then?

-=-=-