This sentence contradicts itself -- no actually it doesn't. -- Douglas Hofstadter

arts / rec.arts.poems / Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald LampmanGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald LampmanGeneral-Zod
|`- Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald LampmanGeorge J. Dance
+- Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald LampmanGeneral-Zod
+- Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald LampmanW-Dockery
+- Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald LampmanW-Dockery
+- Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald LampmanW.Dockery
`- Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald LampmanGeneral-Zod

1
PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman

<tu01fo$11ho4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7207&group=rec.arts.poems#7207

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:08:55 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 18:08 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
Winter-Thought, by Archibald Lampman
[...]
The delicate thought-wrapped buttercups that glide
Like sparks of fire above the wavering grass,
And swing and toss with all the airs that pass
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/winter-thought-archibald-lampman.html

#pennyspoems

Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman

<8e69e0eecbf0460f838f846ac4639655@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7212&group=rec.arts.poems#7212

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:29:03 +0000
Subject: Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:29 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> Winter-Thought, by Archibald Lampman
> [...]
> The delicate thought-wrapped buttercups that glide
> Like sparks of fire above the wavering grass,
> And swing and toss with all the airs that pass
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/winter-thought-archibald-lampman.html

> #pennyspoems

This one is an exceptionally beautiful work of poetry, G.D.

Thanks for posting...!

Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman

<tu1l78$1961q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7222&group=rec.arts.poems#7222

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:51:51 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 08:51 UTC

On 2023-03-04 3:29 p.m., General-Zod wrote:
> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> Winter-Thought, by Archibald Lampman
>> [...]
>> The delicate thought-wrapped buttercups that glide
>> Like sparks of fire above the wavering grass,
>> And swing and toss with all the airs that pass
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/winter-thought-archibald-lampman.html
>
>> #pennyspoems
>
> This one is an exceptionally beautiful work of poetry, G.D.
>
> Thanks for posting...!

Thanks for bumping it. You got me to go back and reread the sonnet.

I was rushed the first time I read it, trying to get together a roster
of poems for March. The only one I had a firm date for was the other
Patchen poem I mentioned, which I'm blogging today -- it's set in
winter, and I needed another poem set in winter. But none of the March
poems I'd found online fit; they were all about the coming of spring in
some fashion, and it's not here yet. (There's still snow on the ground,
and we had what I hope is out last blizzard on Friday.) So I went
digging for another winter poem.

Lampman's a favorite of mine, so I started with him, and I was lucky to
find this sonnet in his first book. I used it, and thought little of it
at the time.

Now, thanks to you, I've reread it, and it; and I have to agree and
second "exceptionally beautiful". Each half of the octet; the four lines
about the daisies and the four lines aboutthe buttercups, could be a
little poem in itself; together they're like a bouquet. And while the
blog's had lots of flower poems in spring and fall, this one's in the
middle of winter, surrounded by poems about ice and snow, which makes it
even more delightful (like seeing flowers growing in winter).

There's a lot of skill reinforcing the sense of beauty. I won't ramble
on about everything, but I'd like to point out how he uses the octet's
only four-syllable words, "beatified" and "preoccupied", to close off
each of its quatrains -- it adds a real touch of elegance. And I'm sure
he did that deliberately, because he then goes on to complete the
sestet, and the whole sonnet, with another four-syllable word, "realities."

Lampman's a

Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman

<edd7ddcd1d93a4db158b6a86d8623678@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7230&group=rec.arts.poems#7230

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:54:41 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:54 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 3:51:55 AM UTC-5, George J. Dance wrote:

>> > This one is an exceptionally beautiful work of poetry, G.D.
>> >
>> > Thanks for posting...!
>> Thanks for bumping it. You got me to go back and reread the sonnet.
>>
>> I was rushed the first time I read it, trying to get together a roster
>> of poems for March. The only one I had a firm date for was the other
>> Patchen poem I mentioned, which I'm blogging today -- it's set in
>> winter, and I needed another poem set in winter. But none of the March
>> poems I'd found online fit; they were all about the coming of spring in
>> some fashion, and it's not here yet. (There's still snow on the ground,
>> and we had what I hope is out last blizzard on Friday.) So I went
>> digging for another winter poem.
>>
>> Lampman's a favorite of mine, so I started with him, and I was lucky to

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Obviously it was simply a false start on the paragraph above... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> find this sonnet in his first book. I used it, and thought little of it
>> at the time.
>>
>> Now, thanks to you, I've reread it, and it; and I have to agree and
>> second "exceptionally beautiful". Each half of the octet; the four lines
>> about the daisies and the four lines aboutthe buttercups, could be a
>> little poem in itself; together they're like a bouquet. And while the
>> blog's had lots of flower poems in spring and fall, this one's in the
>> middle of winter, surrounded by poems about ice and snow, which makes it
>> even more delightful (like seeing flowers growing in winter).
>>
>> There's a lot of skill reinforcing the sense of beauty. I won't ramble
>> on about everything, but I'd like to point out how he uses the octet's
>> only four-syllable words, "beatified" and "preoccupied", to close off
>> each of its quatrains -- it adds a real touch of elegance. And I'm sure
>> he did that deliberately, because he then goes on to complete the
>> sestet, and the whole sonnet, with another four-syllable word, "realities.."
>>

>> Lampman's a

> See above. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Correct, obviously G.D. started the paragraph but the spacer was off on his keyboard or something...

N.G. is an oddly biased nit-picker.... as we all know...!

Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman

<2ce75f34726df6facfaa9d71c808b144@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7256&group=rec.arts.poems#7256

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 21:40:59 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 21:40 UTC

On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 11:58:51 AM UTC-5, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 10:22:23 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Of course there is. The proper way to state said thought would be as follows:
> > >
> > > The wind-swayed daises throng every side of the wide fields in whispering companies.
> > >
> > > However, even when placed in its proper position, "every side" reveals itself as unnecessary filler. The line reads much better without it:
> > >
> > > The wind-swayed daises throng the wide fields in whispering companies.

> > > Are pretending to have forgotten that Mr. Lampman described the daisies as "wind-swayed." Since "wind-swayed" isn't actually a word, I referred to it with the real world it was created as a stand-in for "windswept."
> > >
> > > Pointless nit-picking over trivialities such as the above only reveals that you're grasping at straws.

> > > I said that he was "one step away" from becoming another Jordy -- not that he was another Jordy.
> > >
> > > Your reading comprehension skills are one step away from those of your Donkey.
> > > >
> > > There you are! Calling the buttercups "Buddhist monks in saffron robes, swaying back and forth in unison, in time to a silent chant" is poetry. Had Lampman incorporated a simile of that caliber, his poem might have been a worthwhile read.

> > > This is the second time you've denied that the filler is "redundant," when I have not implied that they are. Defending the lines against imaginary charges is another of your "strawman" arguments -- and further proof that you are desperately grasping at proverbial straws.
> > > >
> > > You've unwittingly argued that "cold" and "forlorn" are redundant. Had that been my point, a "thank you" would be in order.
> > >
> > > However, my point is that one should *never* string three adjectives together under any circumstances. Of course each additional adjective will add a new shade of meaning to the thought -- that's why Jordy throws in upwards of 6 adjectives per thought. But an additional shade of meaning is hardly an excuse for atrocious writing.

> > > That's exactly what it means, George.
> > >
> > > Lampman is saying that the "perfume of old hopes new-blown" have made his daydreams of buttercups *real.*
> > >
> > > What he *intends* to say is that his daydreams about the buttercups have reawakened his past hopes, and that the memories have affected him as powerfully as the real buttercups would have done.
> > >
> > > That, however, is not what he actually says. One can surmise that from the context of the poem, but should not have to guess at what a poet *intended* to write.
> > >
> > > A poet is a wordsmith -- a master craftsman who uses words to express thoughts, feelings, images, ideas, moods, stories, etc.
> > >
> > > Lampman lacks the mastery to bring his poem off.
> > Says Michael Pendragon, the delusional little monkey who thinks he's a better poet than T.S. Eliot.
> I've listed and

Lied and cyberbullied?

Yes, we know.

:)

Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman

<ae9d0239103cc835647039f0946795c0@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7319&group=rec.arts.poems#7319

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:58:09 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:58 UTC

George Dance wrote:

> [...]

> No, Michael, you're wrong there, too. Jordy often uses redundant adjectives in his prose. He does so for rhetorical or propaganda effect, to reinforce one meaning -- not to add "new shade[s] of meaning," for fuck sake. Now, can you please stop thinking about your "adversaries" and concentrate on the poem?

>> But an additional shade of meaning is hardly an excuse for atrocious writing.

> "The cold forlorn midwinter reveries" may not be Lampman's best line in the sonnet, but there's nothing "atrocious" about it.

>> > I don't think so, Michael. It looks to me as if it's still "midwinter", and there are no daisies and buttercups in sight. That doesn't mean that daisies and buttercups aren't real.
>> >
>> That's exactly what it means, George.
>>
>> Lampman is saying that the "perfume of old hopes new-blown" have made his daydreams of buttercups *real.*

Click here to read the complete article
Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman

<314650844c83d7f6a5325f13eaa09153@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7414&group=rec.arts.poems#7414

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:38:52 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:38 UTC

Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 10:22:23 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

>> > Of course there is. The proper way to state said thought would be as follows:
>> >
>> > The wind-swayed daises throng every side of the wide fields in whispering companies.
>> >
>> > However, even when placed in its proper position, "every side" reveals itself as unnecessary filler. The line reads much better without it:
>> >
>> > The wind-swayed daises throng the wide fields in whispering companies.

>> > Are pretending to have forgotten that Mr. Lampman described the daisies as "wind-swayed." Since "wind-swayed" isn't actually a word, I referred to it with the real world it was created as a stand-in for "windswept."
>> >
>> > Pointless nit-picking over trivialities such as the above only reveals that you're grasping at straws.

>> > I said that he was "one step away" from becoming another Jordy -- not that he was another Jordy.
>> >
>> > Your reading comprehension skills are one step away from those of your Donkey.
>> > >
>> > There you are! Calling the buttercups "Buddhist monks in saffron robes, swaying back and forth in unison, in time to a silent chant" is poetry. Had Lampman incorporated a simile of that caliber, his poem might have been a worthwhile read.

>> > This is the second time you've denied that the filler is "redundant," when I have not implied that they are. Defending the lines against imaginary charges is another of your "strawman" arguments -- and further proof that you are desperately grasping at proverbial straws.
>> > >
>> > You've unwittingly argued that "cold" and "forlorn" are redundant. Had that been my point, a "thank you" would be in order.
>> >
>> > However, my point is that one should *never* string three adjectives together under any circumstances. Of course each additional adjective will add a new shade of meaning to the thought -- that's why Jordy throws in upwards of 6 adjectives per thought. But an additional shade of meaning is hardly an excuse for atrocious writing.

>> > That's exactly what it means, George.
>> >
>> > Lampman is saying that the "perfume of old hopes new-blown" have made his daydreams of buttercups *real.*
>> >
>> > What he *intends* to say is that his daydreams about the buttercups have reawakened his past hopes, and that the memories have affected him as powerfully as the real buttercups would have done.
>> >
>> > That, however, is not what he actually says. One can surmise that from the context of the poem, but should not have to guess at what a poet *intended* to write.
>> >
>> > A poet is a wordsmith -- a master craftsman who uses words to express thoughts, feelings, images, ideas, moods, stories, etc.
>> >
>> > Lampman lacks the mastery to bring his poem off.
>> Says Michael Pendragon, the delusional little monkey who thinks he's a better poet than T.S. Eliot.

> I've listed and discussed numerous examples in support of my claim

So, that just underscores your delusional state, Pendragon.

HTH and HAND.

Re: PPB: Winter-Thought, Archibald Lampman

<2cbab16348e99dd6e070088742dafa34@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=10450&group=rec.arts.poems#10450

From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 20:19:20 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 20:19 UTC