From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "WWW: Watch (The WWW Trilogy)" by Robert J. Sawyer
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 16:04:08 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sun, 29 May 2022 21:04 UTC

"WWW: Watch (The WWW Trilogy)" by Robert J. Sawyer
https://www.amazon.com/WWW-Trilogy-Robert-J-Sawyer/dp/044102016X/

Book number two of a three book science fiction series. I read the well
printed and well bound MMPB published by Ace in 2010. I have purchased
the third book in the series and am reading it now.

Caitlyn Decter is 16 years old, a math prodigy, and blind. Not because
her eyes are defective but because her retinas and brain do not
communicate properly with each other. The condition is rare but a
Japanese researcher has created a solution and it worked for her. The
result allows her to see out of one eye and to meet an entity on the
internet named Webmind whom she proceeds to teach how to be human.

Webmind is an emergent artificial intelligence. The position of the USA
government is that emergent AIs are dangerous and must be destroyed.
You know, like Skynet (Terminator) or The Matrix. So, the USA
government has decided to destroy Webmind via Presidential executive order.

This is not the first time that an author has proposed an artificial
intelligence on a common platform. Orson Scott Card created the Ansible
Network, an instantaneous cross star system communications network, in
his Ender books that has an AI named Jane in it. BTW, I do not include
HAL 9000 in this list since he was just a computer running a program.
But I would include Data from The Next Generation and Mike from "The
Moon Is A Harsh Mistress".

The author has a long running website at:
https://www.sfwriter.com/

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 (123 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "WWW: Watch (The WWW Trilogy)" by Robert J. Sawyer

<OmSkK.32232$KWh.6889@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74573&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74573

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Subject: Re: "WWW: Watch (The WWW Trilogy)" by Robert J. Sawyer
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 22:22:38 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 29 May 2022 22:22 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>"WWW: Watch (The WWW Trilogy)" by Robert J. Sawyer
> https://www.amazon.com/WWW-Trilogy-Robert-J-Sawyer/dp/044102016X/
>
>Book number two of a three book science fiction series. I read the well
>printed and well bound MMPB published by Ace in 2010. I have purchased
>the third book in the series and am reading it now.
>
>Caitlyn Decter is 16 years old, a math prodigy, and blind. Not because
>her eyes are defective but because her retinas and brain do not
>communicate properly with each other. The condition is rare but a
>Japanese researcher has created a solution and it worked for her. The
>result allows her to see out of one eye and to meet an entity on the
>internet named Webmind whom she proceeds to teach how to be human.
>
>Webmind is an emergent artificial intelligence. The position of the USA
>government is that emergent AIs are dangerous and must be destroyed.
>You know, like Skynet (Terminator) or The Matrix. So, the USA
>government has decided to destroy Webmind via Presidential executive order.
>
>This is not the first time that an author has proposed an artificial
>intelligence on a common platform. Orson Scott Card created the Ansible
>Network, an instantaneous cross star system communications network, in
>his Ender books that has an AI named Jane in it. BTW, I do not include
>HAL 9000 in this list since he was just a computer running a program.
>But I would include Data from The Next Generation and Mike from "The
>Moon Is A Harsh Mistress".

Don't leave out _The Adolescence of P-1_.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adolescence_of_P-1

Re: "WWW: Watch (The WWW Trilogy)" by Robert J. Sawyer

<t70t0h$j2j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74574&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74574

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 17:44:31 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sun, 29 May 2022 22:44 UTC

On 5/29/2022 5:22 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>> "WWW: Watch (The WWW Trilogy)" by Robert J. Sawyer
>> https://www.amazon.com/WWW-Trilogy-Robert-J-Sawyer/dp/044102016X/
>>
>> Book number two of a three book science fiction series. I read the well
>> printed and well bound MMPB published by Ace in 2010. I have purchased
>> the third book in the series and am reading it now.
>>
>> Caitlyn Decter is 16 years old, a math prodigy, and blind. Not because
>> her eyes are defective but because her retinas and brain do not
>> communicate properly with each other. The condition is rare but a
>> Japanese researcher has created a solution and it worked for her. The
>> result allows her to see out of one eye and to meet an entity on the
>> internet named Webmind whom she proceeds to teach how to be human.
>>
>> Webmind is an emergent artificial intelligence. The position of the USA
>> government is that emergent AIs are dangerous and must be destroyed.
>> You know, like Skynet (Terminator) or The Matrix. So, the USA
>> government has decided to destroy Webmind via Presidential executive order.
>>
>> This is not the first time that an author has proposed an artificial
>> intelligence on a common platform. Orson Scott Card created the Ansible
>> Network, an instantaneous cross star system communications network, in
>> his Ender books that has an AI named Jane in it. BTW, I do not include
>> HAL 9000 in this list since he was just a computer running a program.
>> But I would include Data from The Next Generation and Mike from "The
>> Moon Is A Harsh Mistress".
>>

> Don't leave out _The Adolescence of P-1_.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adolescence_of_P-1

Yeah, I did not mention The Hacker And The Ants either.
https://www.amazon.com/Hacker-Ants-Rudy-Rucker/dp/0688134165/

BTW, I still think that Rudy Rucker and John Walker (founder of
Autodesk) are the same person. Too many coincidences.

Lynn