Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. -- Gandhi

arts / rec.arts.poems / Re: PPB: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

SubjectAuthor
* PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
|+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
|+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
|`- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
+* Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
|`* Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
| +* Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
| |`- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchenmichaelmalef...@gmail.com
| `- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
+- Re: PPB: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery
+- Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
+* Re: PPB: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenGeneral-Zod
|`- Re: PPB: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW.Dockery
+* Re: PPB: Doug Palmer aka FacingW-Dockery
|`- PPB: Doug Palmer aka FacinoW.Dockery
`- Re: PPB: At the New Year / Kenneth PatchenW-Dockery

1
PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<tosc1d$1erpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6645&group=rec.arts.poems#6645

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 11:23:09 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 16:23 UTC

Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
[...]
There is this high singing in the air
Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

#pennyspoems

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<a0db415f6883d85e6dea78be6de78187@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6647&group=rec.arts.poems#6647

Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 19:49:43 +0000
Subject: Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 19:49 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
> [...]
> There is this high singing in the air
> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

> #pennyspoems

Thanks for posting this poem, George.

I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<e17be05d4e5f428fd89bb2e8e93ee0fc@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6649&group=rec.arts.poems#6649

Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 05:20:31 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 05:20 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

>> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
>> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
>> [...]
>> There is this high singing in the air
>> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
>> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

>> #pennyspoems

Like I said before the trolls arrived, thanks for posting this poem, George.

I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.

HTH and HAND.

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<2ba44034d2141168a590da8fa127f0f9@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6655&group=rec.arts.poems#6655

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 12:29:45 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 12:29 UTC

George Dance wrote:

>> Like I said before the trolls arrived, thanks for posting this poem, George.
>> I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.
>> HTH and HAND.

> I can't remember reading any of Patchen's poetry previously. I plan to read more of his work this year, now that it's in the public domain here. I found this poem by pure coincidence, or perhaps it was synergy: I discovered it on the a webpage of New Year's poems the day after I'd discovered that it would be out of copyright here on New Year's Day.

> The subject seems the same as Roberts's poem that I ran on New Year's Eve -- a bell peals out 12 times at midnight, cutting through the quiet or drowning out the normal background noises, and getting the poet to start thinking about philosophical questions. The only reason I couldn't have used Patchen's poem on New Year's Eve, instead of Roberts's, is because back then Patchen's was still in copyright.

This is good, Allen Ginsberg gives his thoughts on Kenneth Patchen, and compares his poetry with the poetry of Jack Kerouac:

https://allenginsberg.org/2015/06/jack-kerouac-and-kenneth-patchen/

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<d686195f23001cdad0e332691007089e@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6658&group=rec.arts.poems#6658

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 18:56:10 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 18:56 UTC

George Dance wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 12:47:12 PM UTC-5, Zod wrote:

>> > Thanks for posting this poem, George.
>> >
>> > I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.
>> Never read him but looks GREAT....
>>
>> https://pleasekillme.com/kenneth-patchen-rebel-poet/
>>
>> ******************** Poet, artist, performer, pacifist and visionary, Kenneth Patchen (1911-1972) was the closest thing America had to a William Blake. He was, in the words of biographer Larry Smith, the ‘Rebel Poet of America,” influencing the likes of Henry Miller, young Beat poets such as Allen Ginsberg, Michael McClure and Gary Snyder and, later, Jim Morrison and Richard Brautigan. *****************
>>
>> ******************** Kenneth Patchen may have wielded more influence on two generations’ worth of our counterculture than any other poet you’ve never heard of. He had a hippie pacifist sensibility 30 years before the hippies existed and a Beat Generation aura a decade before that term was common coinage. ********************************
>>
>> ****************************** part of a vibrant literary scene that included Kenneth Rexroth, Lawrence Ferlinghetti (who would publish some of Patchen’s work on his City Lights imprint), Josephine Miles (poet-in-residence at UCal-Berkeley), Philip Lamantia, Michael McClure, Gary Snyder, Allen Ginsberg, and Peter Orlovsky. As early as the late 1940s, Patchen was performing his poetry to jazz accompaniment ***********************************

> Good find, Zod. That makes Patchen look like an important historical figure indeed. I think I may quote some of that on his PPP page.

Agreed, Patchen was considered essential reading to the 1970s latter-day Beats.

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<478e843cf287943dd0ed2e4428d88da1@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6674&group=rec.arts.poems#6674

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 21:38:49 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 21:38 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> George Dance wrote:

>>> Never read him but looks GREAT....
>>>
>>> https://pleasekillme.com/kenneth-patchen-rebel-poet/
>>>
>>> ******************** Poet, artist, performer, pacifist and visionary, Kenneth Patchen (1911-1972) was the closest thing America had to a William Blake. He was, in the words of biographer Larry Smith, the ‘Rebel Poet of America,” influencing the likes of Henry Miller, young Beat poets such as Allen Ginsberg, Michael McClure and Gary Snyder and, later, Jim Morrison and Richard Brautigan. *****************
>>>
>>> ******************** Kenneth Patchen may have wielded more influence on two generations’ worth of our counterculture than any other poet you’ve never heard of. He had a hippie pacifist sensibility 30 years before the hippies existed and a Beat Generation aura a decade before that term was common coinage. ********************************
>>>
>>> ****************************** part of a vibrant literary scene that included Kenneth Rexroth, Lawrence Ferlinghetti (who would publish some of Patchen’s work on his City Lights imprint), Josephine Miles (poet-in-residence at UCal-Berkeley), Philip Lamantia, Michael McClure, Gary Snyder, Allen Ginsberg, and Peter Orlovsky. As early as the late 1940s, Patchen was performing his poetry to jazz accompaniment ***********************************

>> Good find, Zod. That makes Patchen look like an important historical figure indeed. I think I may quote some of that on his PPP page.

> Agreed, Patchen was considered essential reading to the 1970s latter-day Beats.

Cool... cool... as you know I mainly began reading the Beatnik writers after meeting you, Doc...

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<dcd49f366ec38595db05ca2f89939db1@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6677&group=rec.arts.poems#6677

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 00:00:10 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 00:00 UTC

On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 12:47:12 PM UTC-5, Zod wrote:
> On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 2:50:13 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> > George J. Dance wrote:
> > >
> > > Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
> > > At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
> > > [...]
> > > There is this high singing in the air
> > > Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
> > > And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
> > > [...]
> > > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html
> >
> > > #pennyspoems
> > Thanks for posting this poem, George.
> >
> > I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.
> Never read him but looks GREAT....
>
> https://pleasekillme.com/kenneth-patchen-rebel-poet/
>
> ******************** Poet, artist, performer, pacifist and visionary, Kenneth Patchen (1911-1972) was the closest thing America had to a William Blake. He was, in the words of biographer Larry Smith, the ‘Rebel Poet of America,” influencing the likes of Henry Miller, young Beat poets such as Allen Ginsberg, Michael McClure and Gary Snyder and, later, Jim Morrison and Richard Brautigan. *****************
>
> ******************** Kenneth Patchen may have wielded more influence on two generations’ worth of our counterculture than any other poet you’ve never heard of. He had a hippie pacifist sensibility 30 years before the hippies existed and a Beat Generation aura a decade before that term was common coinage. ********************************
>
> ****************************** part of a vibrant literary scene that included Kenneth Rexroth, Lawrence Ferlinghetti (who would publish some of Patchen’s work on his City Lights imprint), Josephine Miles (poet-in-residence at UCal-Berkeley), Philip Lamantia, Michael McClure, Gary Snyder, Allen Ginsberg, and Peter Orlovsky. As early as the late 1940s, Patchen was performing his poetry to jazz accompaniment ***********************************

I sense a bit of friction between Ginsberg and Patchen also, though:

***

https://allenginsberg.org/2015/06/jack-kerouac-and-kenneth-patchen/

Student: Would you put down Kenneth Patchen’s The Journal of Albion Midnight in that kind of (internalized subjective exploration) category?

AG: I haven’t read it in so long, but I think that The Journal of Albion Moonlight does not quite have as much central focus point. See, this whole book (Kerouac’s Mexico City Blues) is about the mind and the language of the mind, the language that you hear in the mind. I don’t remember what the subject of.. Journal of Albion Moonlight was, but I have a feeling it was just quixotic thoughts, and quixotic, somewhat sterile, and Romantic literary stereotypes – or, more, like in William Saroyan, a certain amount of Romanticism that isn’t painted after the nature of the mind, so, a sort of idealistic Romanticism. But here, Kerouac (with elements of Saroyan too) has gone back to use the mind as source for his babble, use the actual mind as source for his babble, rather than more conscious composition, I think.I’m not sure how you’d make the distinction. I have a feeling of Kerouac’s stuff that it’s real actual real-mind thoughts. I have a feeling about ..Journal of Albion Moonlight, that it’s more artificially literary – the original subject was not his actual consciousness. It wasn’t a graph of his consciousness, was it? (I may be wrong, because I haven’t read it in so long)

***

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<727461bdf41b354ca9ffa0d26a471374@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6689&group=rec.arts.poems#6689

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 22:31:23 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 22:31 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
>> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
>> [...]
>> There is this high singing in the air
>> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
>> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

>> #pennyspoems

> Thanks for posting this poem, George.

> I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.

Right on...!

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<715a9ef3f42a363518617cb7b3f046b4@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6711&group=rec.arts.poems#6711

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 19:38:55 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 19:38 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
> [...]
> There is this high singing in the air
> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

> #pennyspoems

I consider this t be the discovery of the year, to me, at least.... I have a great deal to learn from this poet....

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<164be13b620be7a3cf28158cdd8ba0bc@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6767&group=rec.arts.poems#6767

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 03:42:32 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 03:42 UTC

George Dance wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html
>>>
>>> #pennyspoems
>
>> Like I said before the trolls arrived, thanks for posting this poem, George.
>
>> I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.
>
>> HTH and HAND.

> I can't remember reading any of Patchen's poetry previously. I plan to read more of his work this year, now that it's in the public domain here. I found this poem by pure coincidence, or perhaps it was synergy: I discovered it on the a webpage of New Year's poems the day after I'd discovered that it would be out of copyright here on New Year's Day.

> The subject seems the same as Roberts's poem that I ran on New Year's Eve -- a bell peals out 12 times at midnight, cutting through the quiet or drowning out the normal background noises, and getting the poet to start thinking about philosophical questions. The only reason I couldn't have used Patchen's poem on New Year's Eve, instead of Roberts's, is because back then Patchen's was still in copyright.

So, Kenneth Patchen became public domain at a really good time, and so this is the time to bring him out of his relative obscurity.

🙂

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<690019afbdfe393f8401d3f6fbfdd434@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6807&group=rec.arts.poems#6807

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:56:46 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:56 UTC

George Dance wrote:

> On Friday, January 20, 2023 at 5:35:14 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>> George Dance wrote:

>> > I can't remember reading any of Patchen's poetry previously. I plan to read more of his work this year, now that it's in the public domain here. I found this poem by pure coincidence, or perhaps it was synergy: I discovered it on the a webpage of New Year's poems the day after I'd discovered that it would be out of copyright here on New Year's Day.
>>
>> > The subject seems the same as Roberts's poem that I ran on New Year's Eve -- a bell peals out 12 times at midnight, cutting through the quiet or drowning out the normal background noises, and getting the poet to start thinking about philosophical questions. The only reason I couldn't have used Patchen's poem on New Year's Eve, instead of Roberts's, is because back then Patchen's was still in copyright.
>> I still haven't looked for my one collection by Patchen in my shelves in the shed (I suspect it will be near my only Gary Snyder collection, both read around 1975)
>>
>> I'll check my copy of "The Beat Reader" when I get back to the office, as there is apparently "some" Kenneth Patchen poetry contained there.
>>
>> No, apparently not, after all:
>>
>> https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2351079975
>>
>> Maya Day's Reviews > The Portable Beat Reader:
>>
>> "You can't have a Beat reader, have a "San Francisco Renaissance" section and not have Kenneth Patchen =]
>> And so it goes.
>>
>> :)

> I had an "unknown" reader comment on the blog, saying was glad to read it as he hadn't read any Patchen in a long time; so I told him about the p.d. status, and that he could expect more over the year. I did find one more -- a poem called "Winter" -- which I'll slot in most likely in early March. (I don't want to keep running the same poets every month, except when they've written a calendar of poems.)

I wonder what Gary Snyder's copyright situation is in Canada, and whether he has a poem to fit the seasonal theme if his poetry has gone into public domain.

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<6f5f38ce6fc0c17bd928ddec80759a32@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6817&group=rec.arts.poems#6817

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 18:45:05 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 18:45 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
> [...]
> There is this high singing in the air
> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

> #pennyspoems

Looking through the City Lights Books catalog last night I see that Kenneth Patchen is in the pocket poets series published by Lawrence Ferlinghetti, probably the collection I have, as I read as many of those books as I could back in the 1970s.

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<4834ab95de98acbfd78ea7603a1f3219@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6832&group=rec.arts.poems#6832

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 21:31:01 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 21:31 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
> [...]
> There is this high singing in the air
> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

> #pennyspoems

Jazz Poetry...!

Kenneth Patchen ‎– Reads His Poetry with the Chamber Jazz Sextet (1957)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVJVMcJ8vR0

1. The Murder of Two Men by a Young Kid Wearing Lemon Colored Gloves
2. State of the Nation
3. Do the Dead Know what Time it is?
4. And with the Sorrows of this Joyousness
5. The Lute in the Attic
6. Lonesome Boy Blues
7. Limericks
8. I Went To The City

****

Re: PPB: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<e3c3f867969c8320726eaad7f9836c98@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6877&group=rec.arts.poems#6877

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 06:28:24 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 06:28 UTC

Zod wrote:

> On Sunday, January 14, 2023 at 11:23:11 AM UTC-5, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
>>
>> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
>> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
>> [...]
>> There is this high singing in the air
>> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
>> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html
>>
>> #pennyspoems

> Reading more Patchen today...

> https://www.poetryoutloud.org/poet/kenneth-patchen/
> ..
> ************ An inspiration for the Beat Generation and a true “people’s poet,” Kenneth Patchen was a prolific writer, visual artist and performer whose exuberant, free-form productions celebrate spontaneity and attack injustices, materialism, and war. Born in Niles, Ohio, he was an avid reader as a child and kept a diary from an early age; later he traveled throughout the United States, meeting a wide range of people and having the experiences he would explore in his prose and poetry. Patchen was also one of the first poets to read his work to a background of jazz. ******************

Definitely an interesting figure deserving of a wider audience.

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<c7f3d857a2fe8f9f51c4f6900e18a5c8@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6887&group=rec.arts.poems#6887

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 22:19:45 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 22:19 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
> [...]
> There is this high singing in the air
> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

> #pennyspoems

I see that Kenneth Patchen was number 13 in Lawrence Ferlinghetti's Pocket Poets series, probably where I read him, as I was collecting those volumes in the mid 1970s.

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<509c97a31f27c897789f35a351937463@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6917&group=rec.arts.poems#6917

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 22:08:22 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 22:08 UTC

George Dance wrote:

>> Like I said before the trolls arrived, thanks for posting this poem, George.
>> I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.
>> HTH and HAND.

> I can't remember reading any of Patchen's poetry previously. I plan to read more of his work this year, now that it's in the public domain here. I found this poem by pure coincidence, or perhaps it was synergy: I discovered it on the a webpage of New Year's poems the day after I'd discovered that it would be out of copyright here on New Year's Day.

> The subject seems the same as Roberts's poem that I ran on New Year's Eve -- a bell peals out 12 times at midnight, cutting through the quiet or drowning out the normal background noises, and getting the poet to start thinking about philosophical questions. The only reason I couldn't have used Patchen's poem on New Year's Eve, instead of Roberts's, is because back then Patchen's was still in copyright.

This was a good read....

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/654975/summary

In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content:
The Jazz-Poetry Connection Barry Wallenstein This is the final part of a two-part essay on jazz-poetry. The first part appeared in PAJ 11 (Volume IV, Numbers 1 and 2). Considering the long history of jazz-poetry, no two figures dominate its modern phase as do Kenneth Patchen and Kenneth Rexroth. In the 1950s, bop was the emergent jazz form, and jazz talk was a potent force, a magical language for the new poets. Those poets who were stylistically opposed to the allusive and intellectualized work of the Pound-Eliot school seemed to gravitate towards jazz rhythms and the poetic language of jazz. So while Langston Hughes [see PAJ 11] was actually transmitting that language into his verse, thus preserving an ethnic tradition, Rexroth, Patchen, and the entire school of beat poets developed a separate and distinct poetry. That is to say, their poetry was less derived from the folk tradition than from the poet's ego. They did, however, still reflect the tradition Hughes defines so clearly by incorporating the idiom of the jazz man and, of course, the rhythms of the music. Both Langston Hughes and Kenneth Patchen were poets of the 1930s-the "years of protest" in the arts and politics, and both sympathized with the leftist thinking of the proletarian movement. Hughes brought ethnic consciousness to the general awakening of the white intelligentsia, while Patchen started as an iconoclast or radical. As readers of the famous "Joe Hill Listens to the Praying" know, Patchen is a writer of social consciousness. In 1958 Kenneth Rexroth published an appreciative essay on Patchen's work and verbalized a theme of the 1950s: "There is no place for a poet in American 122 society." Yet Rexroth goes on: "The bobby-soxers do love him. Against a conspiracy of silence of the whole of literary America, Patchen has become the laureate of the doomed youth of the third world war. He is the most widely read younger poet in the country." The idiosyncratic speech of his poetry and what Rexroth called his "integrity and moral earnestness" place him in a line of independent voices that loosely stretches from Whitman through Vachel Lindsay and Carl Sandburg-all people's poets. But more than these others and even more than Rexroth, Patchen stands with the anti-literature writers, the mavericks such as Henry Miller who more or less worked in isolation from trends and movements. Patchen's first recording of jazz and poetry came out around the time of Rexroth 's essay about him. Either Rexroth hadn't yet heard the record or chose not to comment. I must believe the former for once heard the record demands attention. The poet recites or half sings a wide range of his poems, all of which appear in the 3rd edition of his Selected Poems. The music on the record is by Allyn Ferguson and his Chamber Jazz Sextet. It often sounds like a swing band, with the solos introduced in the manner of the big band. There is also the suggestion of the "cool" style of a Miles Davis. More than any other attempt at combining poetry with music, Patchen's record achieves a genuine synthesis and a varied sound. In the liner notes, Ferguson discussed the "pact" between himself and the poet: When first discussing the possibility of setting poetry to jazz, Kenneth and I agreed that the usual procedure of setting text to music would have to be abandoned. The final product, we felt, should be conceived in terms of the poet's interpretation of the text. It seemed evident, however, that the music would be quite unnecessary were there no attempt to bring about a meaningful union between the two mediums. We decided, therefore, to tape-record the readings and underscore them. This procedure would have the double value of retaining the spontaneity of original reading while still allowing freedom for the creation of a significant musical entity. The music, then, was composed to the poet's readings-and designed to fortify the emotional content of the poetry. It is ironic that Ferguson goes on to call their fusion a new medium, for it really had precedents in the...

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<1038277157c6ca490861b70a91623079@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6969&group=rec.arts.poems#6969

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:05:34 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:05 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> George Dance wrote:

>>> Good find, Zod. That makes Patchen look like an important historical figure indeed. I think I may quote some of that on his PPP page.

>> Agreed, Patchen was considered essential reading to the 1970s latter-day Beats.

> Cool... cool... as you know I mainly began reading the Beatnik writers after meeting you, Doc...

Check out the artificial intelligence experiments with Beat poetry:

https://www.beatdom.com/chatgpt/

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<33becf24-74e7-4f7f-a6c5-559f091a7087n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6976&group=rec.arts.poems#6976

Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:06:20 -0800 (PST)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (michaelmalef...@gmail.com)
 by: michaelmalef...@gmai - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:06 UTC

On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 8:10:16 AM UTC-5, W.Dockery wrote:
> General-Zod wrote:
>
> > Will Dockery wrote:

> >> Agreed, Patchen was considered essential reading to the 1970s latter-day Beats.
>

> > Cool... cool... as you know I mainly began reading the Beatnik writers after meeting you, Doc...
> Check out the artificial intelligence experiments with Beat poetry:
>
> https://www.beatdom.com/chatgpt/

***DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING POEM IS ENTIRELY FICTIONAL. ANY SIMILARITIES TO PERSON OR PERSONS LIVING OR DEAD IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.***

THE SAGA OF JORDAN T. CHASESCOTT

Uncle Isaac took his belt
And gave Young Jordy 40 welts.
Jordy grew to like the whacks
And Uncle Isaac’s touching acts.

Isaac Chase thought that Jordy was cute
'Specially dressed in his new birthday suit,
Isaac squeezed his love handles
Then blew out his candles,
Bent over and let out a "Toot!"

Isaac pulled his nephew's pid
Sucked him dry then tongued his hole;
Nephew Jordy was just a kid
When he first straddled Isaac's pole.

Isaac rode Jordy bareback at seven
And cornholed him big-time at eight
He left him creampied at eleven
And went back home to masturbate.

Isaac groped little Jordy on Friday
Isaac sucked him off Saturday night
Isaac fucked Jordy six times on Sunday
Yeah, his weekend was going alright.

There's only on "t" in "Sonnet."

Isaac nailed Jordy on summer's day.
Beneath the willow by the backdoor gate:
He squeezed his lovebuds, then he had his way
But quick release cut all too short the date;
Sometime too hot the elder Chase becomes
And often spills his load ere passion's dimm'd;
Where is the joy in picking Jordy's plums
Or planting kisses in his grass untrimm'd
When shorts are cream'd and flaccid members fail?
Thou Jordy's willing, Ike gave up the ghost;
Still discontent, he fondles Jordy's tale,
For tis the ass enamors him the most:
So long as Isaac still has eyes to see,
He'll strap one one and stick it to Jordy.

Isaac chased boys when he was a toddler
He chased toddlers when he went school,
He made brownies with them as a young man,
Stirred their pudding until he would drool.

Isaac chased little boys on the playground
Although he was a middle aged man,
Donkey punched till his mudpacker turned brown
Tho he preferred to say it was tan.
The Jordy Factor
a poem by Will Dockery as told to NancyGene

Jordy’s a good sub for dead Lady K
He jiggles his ass and says it’s foreplay
with my massive moobs that even young Clay
has to admit that he’d like to sashay
in the chorus that kicks on LeGents parquet
floor where Jordy and I rolled ‘round in May
when he visited us to show us his fey
manners and though his family’s rich, hey,
I’m not too proud to say that I’d lay
him for free and he won’t have to pay
for extras like hi there’s, night-nights and oy veys.

Isaac Chase was a pixie I knew
Who diddled his widdle nephew,
Jordy pulled Isaac's pud
But his pud was a dud
And now poor Isaac's sack has turned blue.

When Jordy was just a wee laddie
He'd pull down his pants for his daddy,
Uncle paid him a call
And buggered him raw
And Jordy cried "Uncle Ike had me."

Isaac had a young nephew named Jordy
Whose tuchus he simply adored, he
Got Jordy to bare it
That he might then share it
And buggered the boy while he roared "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!"

Uncle Isaac didn't care for his mommy,
His classmates found him a bit balmy;
It was said that the lad
Flicked his Bic for his dad:
Now chows on Nephew Jordy's shalomi.

Uncle Isaac desired little boys
He thought Jordy had exquisite poise
For a boy not yet ten
(He preferred boys to men)
And a man must have what he enjoys.

Little Jordy was sugar and spice
So his old uncle didn't think twice
About dipping his pole
In young Jordy's piehole,
Boston cream never seemed worth the price.

Uncle Isaac's an internet troll
Who fingered his nephew's dunghole,
Isaac stuck in his thumb
And made Jordy cum
And cried "Hola, Will -- I'm on a role!"

Isaac corked up Jordy Chase's bunghole,
Chocolate cha-cha'd til morning was nigh;
Gave his nephew a sloppy Picaso
He's a fart knockin', mud packin' guy.

Jordy Chase bought his uncle a butt plug
In the hope that he'd leave him alone;
Isaac plugged up his hole
And such joy filled his soul
That he plugged Jordy's hole with his own.

Uncle Isaac's a middle aged twit
Who's been found competently unfit,
For it's said he enjoys
Gallivanting with boys
And dipping his dick in their shit.

Isaac buggered Jordy in the bedroom
Isaac buggered Jordy in the car
Isaac buggered Jordy in the Men's Room
Of LeGents', Shadowville's favorite bar.

Uncle Isaac chased Jordy around his first crib,
Uncle Isaac "fed" Jordy and splooged on his bib,
Isaac changed Jordy's diapers for open-crotch hose
Then he buggered the toddler and jizzed on his nose.

Isaac cornswabbled his nephew's dinky
Pulled his joystick as if he played Pong;
Dipped his poo jabber till it got stinky
And nicknamed his dong "Donkey Kong."

When Jordan Chasescott was a lad
His Uncle Ike wanted him bad,
With the youth in his sights
Isaac gave up his nights
To baby sit straddling his 'nads.

Uncle Isaac was more like an ant
Who would crawl down young Jordy’s pants.
Jordy’d wiggle and scratch
But Isaac attached
Himself with coagulants.

Uncle Isaac ignored his niece, Judy,
Who didn’t have quite the same booty.
So Judy was spared,
And stood there and stared,
While Jordy got it in the patootie.

When Jordy went on Price is Right
His bung-hole shown like a nightlight.
He said it was Uncle
Ike and Garfuckles
Who implanted in him a Lite-Brite.

Uncle Isaac hosted family for Easter.
He told his sister he’d feast her.
They ate honey baked ham
And rack of young lamb
While Isaac dined on Jordy’s keister.

Isaac Chased Jordan Chasescott
From when he was just a young tot.
Isaac gave him a ball
and that wasn’t all,
for his undies had X marks the spot.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: PPB: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<f665acd9c38ee1044f3ec1ff71b97024@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7036&group=rec.arts.poems#7036

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 22:38:19 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 22:38 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
> [...]
> There is this high singing in the air
> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

> #pennyspoems

This here is a good read:

https://brooklynrail.org/2008/07/books/poetry-before-and-after-image

************** Kenneth Patchen’s reputation as a proto-beatnik poet, visual artist, activist, jazz performer and all around bohemian emanates an aura of saintliness. Some of the more even-keeled poems from his series “Poemscapes” in the new collection We Meet reveal his understanding of a world rife with positive and negative energies at work: “Much depends on whether you want to grow / nettles or clover: on whether you’ve come to applaud or just to swipe clothes off the line…” ************************

Re: PPB: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<db85006d526a91ca3cdb32c9a88ac641@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7041&group=rec.arts.poems#7041

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 16:22:04 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 16:22 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
>> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
>> [...]
>> There is this high singing in the air
>> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
>> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

>> #pennyspoems

> This here is a good read:

> https://brooklynrail.org/2008/07/books/poetry-before-and-after-image

> ************** Kenneth Patchen’s reputation as a proto-beatnik poet, visual artist, activist, jazz performer and all around bohemian emanates an aura of saintliness. Some of the more even-keeled poems from his series “Poemscapes” in the new collection We Meet reveal his understanding of a world rife with positive and negative energies at work: “Much depends on whether you want to grow / nettles or clover: on whether you’ve come to applaud or just to swipe clothes off the line…” ************************

Good morning, Zod, good find.

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<d7dcb13bb8d19e1f82c14debdc190f6b@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7114&group=rec.arts.poems#7114

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 01:46:12 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 01:46 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> George Dance wrote:

>>> Good find, Zod. That makes Patchen look like an important historical figure indeed. I think I may quote some of that on his PPP page.

>> Agreed, Patchen was considered essential reading to the 1970s latter-day Beats.

> Cool... cool... as you know I mainly began reading the Beatnik writers after meeting you, Doc...

True, but I know you spent many leave days in the Navy hanging out at City Lights Books.

🙂

Re: PPb: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<131556400db0ffde02bfa062525fbeda@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7185&group=rec.arts.poems#7185

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 22:59:33 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 22:59 UTC

W-Dockery wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
>> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
>> [...]
>> There is this high singing in the air
>> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
>> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

>> #pennyspoems

> Thanks for posting this poem, George.

> I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.

Glad K.P. is back on the radar...!

Re: PPB: Doug Palmer aka Facing

<1e8fdaf35e29ee94c24d9fb1465e2c0d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7187&group=rec.arts.poems#7187

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 00:59:30 +0000
Subject: Re: PPB: Doug Palmer aka Facing
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 00:59 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
> [...]
> There is this high singing in the air
> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

> #pennyspoems

Bookmarked for later use:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435627060034188/permalink/3389978071265734/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Sam T. Byrd wrote:

"Lawrence Ferlinghetti was truly a champion of free speech and one of the major figures of Bay Area poetry, beginning with the era of Beat poetry.
My late brother-in-law, Doug Palmer, whose street nom de plume was Facino, was the San Francisco Bay Area’s first street poet and was also a fixture in San Francisco and on the UC Berkeley campus in the mid to late 1960s.
He was once arrested in San Francisco for vagrancy for selling his personalized poems.
Ferlinghetti spoke in Doug’s defense at his trial and as a result he was acquitted, setting a precedent that paved the way for several subsequent street poets, such as the late Berkeley poet Julia Vinograd, who followed years later."

CC: George J. Dance, for the poetry Wiki.

***

PPB: Doug Palmer aka Facino

<bba814094502682e5fc7e91818391050@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7188&group=rec.arts.poems#7188

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 01:03:25 +0000
Subject: PPB: Doug Palmer aka Facino
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 01:03 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for New Year's Day:
>
> At the New Year, by Kenneth Patchen
>
> [...]
> There is this high singing in the air
> Forever this sorrowful human face in eternity’s window
> And there are other bells that we would ring, Father
>
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/01/at-new-year-kenneth-patchen.html

> #pennyspoems

Bookmarked for later use:

Doug Palmer aka Facino

Sam T. Byrd wrote:

"Lawrence Ferlinghetti was truly a champion of free speech and one of the major figures of Bay Area poetry, beginning with the era of Beat poetry.
My late brother-in-law, Doug Palmer, whose street nom de plume was Facino, was the San Francisco Bay Area’s first street poet and was also a fixture in San Francisco and on the UC Berkeley campus in the mid to late 1960s.
He was once arrested in San Francisco for vagrancy for selling his personalized poems.
Ferlinghetti spoke in Doug’s defense at his trial and as a result he was acquitted, setting a precedent that paved the way for several subsequent street poets, such as the late Berkeley poet Julia Vinograd, who followed years later."

CC: George J. Dance, for the poetry Wiki.

***

Re: PPB: At the New Year / Kenneth Patchen

<0011d3d3485852dc393deae31fb23f6e@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7465&group=rec.arts.poems#7465

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:36:47 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:36 UTC

George Dance wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> Like I said before the trolls arrived, thanks for posting this poem, George.
>> I haven't read any Patchen in years, probably since the 1970s when I was soaking in as much Beat related poetry as I could find, remembering now how good Kenneth Patchen was.
>> HTH and HAND.

> I can't remember reading any of Patchen's poetry previously. I plan to read more of his work this year, now that it's in the public domain here. I found this poem by pure coincidence, or perhaps it was synergy: I discovered it on the a webpage of New Year's poems the day after I'd discovered that it would be out of copyright here on New Year's Day.

> The subject seems the same as Roberts's poem that I ran on New Year's Eve -- a bell peals out 12 times at midnight, cutting through the quiet or drowning out the normal background noises, and getting the poet to start thinking about philosophical questions. The only reason I couldn't have used Patchen's poem on New Year's Eve, instead of Roberts's, is because back then Patchen's was still in copyright.

Great, hopefully more Kenneth Patchen poems will fit the topic.