The best you get is an even break. -- Franklin Adams

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

SubjectAuthor
* [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregorJames Nicoll
+* Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner &Michael F. Stemper
|+* Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner &James Nicoll
||`- Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGreNinapenda Jibini
|`- Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner &Quadibloc
+* Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGreRobert Woodward
|`- Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGreNinapenda Jibini
+- Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGreNinapenda Jibini
`- Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGreDefault User

1
[Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

<t7i9go$s44$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74757&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74757

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 13:02:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 13:02 UTC

Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/jet-packs-and-laser-guns

A classic space opera table top roleplaying game from before spell-
checkers, email, and DTP, the lack of which impacted the design
of the game.

Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

<t7igrg$88g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74758&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74758

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner &
Phil McGregor
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 10:07:28 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 15:07 UTC

On 05/06/2022 08.02, James Nicoll wrote:
> Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/jet-packs-and-laser-guns
>
> A classic space opera table top roleplaying game from before spell-
> checkers, email, and DTP, the lack of which impacted the design
> of the game.

Something called "space opera" by somebody named "Edward E. S___"?

That should be trademark infringement. Or something.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Psalm 94:3-6

Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

<t7ihgi$8tp$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74759&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74759

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Phil McGregor
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 15:18:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 15:18 UTC

In article <t7igrg$88g$1@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 05/06/2022 08.02, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor
>>
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/jet-packs-and-laser-guns
>>
>> A classic space opera table top roleplaying game from before spell-
>> checkers, email, and DTP, the lack of which impacted the design
>> of the game.
>
>Something called "space opera" by somebody named "Edward E. S___"?
>
>That should be trademark infringement. Or something.

Copyright infringment was one of SO's core strengths. Not a lot of effort
to hide inspirations.

Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

<robertaw-685389.09453205062022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74761&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74761

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 09:45:33 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 16:45 UTC

In article <t7i9go$s44$1@reader1.panix.com>,
jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/jet-packs-and-laser-guns
>
> A classic space opera table top roleplaying game from before spell-
> checkers, email, and DTP, the lack of which impacted the design
> of the game.

IIRC*, an excessively complicated RPG (possibly created by people who
thought that GDW's _Traveller_ was too simple). BTW, it was published by
the same people (and had a common designer) who published _Chivalry and
Sorcery_, another excessively complicated RPG.

*My copies are in storage and I am not driving there and dig through 100
boxes to find them.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

<XnsAEAD6AADD2066taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74763&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74763

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 17:29:13 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 17:29 UTC

jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in

> In article <t7igrg$88g$1@dont-email.me>,
> Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 05/06/2022 08.02, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil
>>> McGregor
>>>
>>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/jet-packs-and-laser-guns
>>>
>>> A classic space opera table top roleplaying game from before
>>> spell- checkers, email, and DTP, the lack of which impacted
>>> the design of the game.
>>
>>Something called "space opera" by somebody named "Edward E.
>>S___"?
>>
>>That should be trademark infringement. Or something.
>
> Copyright infringment was one of SO's core strengths. Not a lot
> of effort to hide inspirations.

Hardly unique, or even slightly unusual, in roleplaying games in the
70s.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

<XnsAEAD6B1AB87F7taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74764&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74764

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 17:31:43 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 17:31 UTC

jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in news:t7i9go$s44$1
@reader1.panix.com:

> Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/jet-packs-and-laser-guns
>
> A classic space opera table top roleplaying game from before spell-
> checkers, email, and DTP, the lack of which impacted the design
> of the game.

"While saddle-stitching has gone out of fashion, these binding are as
sturdy as the box; they barely show any wear"

They learned an important lesson with Chivalry & Sorcery, which
tended to self-disassembel if you looked at it too hard.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

<XnsAEAD6D5BCAFFFtaustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74765&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74765

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 17:45:01 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 17:45 UTC

Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote in

> In article <t7i9go$s44$1@reader1.panix.com>,
> jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil
>> McGregor
>>
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/jet-packs-and-laser-guns
>>
>> A classic space opera table top roleplaying game from before
>> spell- checkers, email, and DTP, the lack of which impacted the
>> design of the game.
>
> IIRC*, an excessively complicated RPG (possibly created by
> people who thought that GDW's _Traveller_ was too simple). BTW,
> it was published by the same people (and had a common designer)
> who published _Chivalry and Sorcery_, another excessively
> complicated RPG.
>
> *My copies are in storage and I am not driving there and dig
> through 100 boxes to find them.

A fair call. The biggest issue (aside from lack of editing) was
that it was about four or five games all mushed together, in an
attempt to make a game that could do *anything*. You had to get rid
of about 80% to get a playable set of rules. We didn't get far with
it. When one is on one's murder hobo stage of gaming, a game that
takes several hours to create character, and has realistic future
combat whereing a character can be killed with maybe two die rolls,
is not a good choice.

(Chivalry & Sorcery, however, is not a particularly complicatd game
to *play*. Character creation can get complicated, and mages in
particular requite a fair amount of upkeep, but actual play is
pretty smooth is the gamemaster and at least one play know the
rules fairly well. We still play it today.)

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

<t7k758$7uj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74772&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74772

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 06:34:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 06:34 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:

>Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

With music rights these days, it's what the rights-holder's bots
notice. That includes a lot of things are very likely fair use, but the
system for platforms like YouTube are set up so it's easy to claim
something is copyrighted and hard to fight it.

There was one musician who related how she got a copyright strike for
performing her own song in a video. She neglected to inform somebody
about something. She'd then have to go to her label whatever and get ad
revenue back. Or some of it.

Brian

Re: [Tears] [OT] Space Opera by Edward E. Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner & Phil McGregor

<c15bf176-5d6f-4ee1-b036-21de3b4d3386n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74774&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74774

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 02:04:31 -0700 (PDT)
Phil McGregor
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 09:04 UTC

On Sunday, June 5, 2022 at 9:07:33 AM UTC-6, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

> Something called "space opera" by somebody named "Edward E. S___"?
>
> That should be trademark infringement. Or something.

For me, it was instead that Simbalist reminded me so much of Zimbalist.
As in Efrem Zimbalist Jr., from 77 Sunset Strip and later The FBI.

John Savard