The chicken that clucks the loudest is the one most likely to show up at the steam fitters' picnic.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movie

SubjectAuthor
* Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movieDavid Brown
+* Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movieRobert Carnegie
|`- Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movieDavid Brown
`* Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju moviePaul S Person
 `* Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movieted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  `* Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movieDon
   `- Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movieted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan

1
Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movie

<5b056dfb-09a5-4450-b942-43282273adcfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74869&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74869

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 14:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movie
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 21:46 UTC

Here's my latest movie review and one I had backlogged. First up, Titan AE, an infamous failed animated film. It's usually considered an American attempt at anime, though I didn't go into that. I would consider the scenario of humans surviving as refugees to be fairly standard sci fi, though I can't think off hand of another entry in any medium that showed humans being as marginalized as they are here.
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/06/animation-defenestration-one-that.html
And another odd one, an American attempt at a kaiju film, only from 2016, which makes it one of the most recent I've reviewed. As I put in the review, there's not a lot of US kaiju entries, and even fewer that take the genre at all seriously. This one at least found a middle ground.
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/06/featured-creature-kaiju-file-2-one.html
David N. Brown
Mesa Arizona

Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movie

<fb4da41d-642e-4aad-bd22-60f023ab9a17n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74877&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74877

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 15:53:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 22:53 UTC

On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 at 22:46:38 UTC+1, David Brown wrote:
> Here's my latest movie review and one I had backlogged. First up, Titan AE, an infamous failed animated film. It's usually considered an American attempt at anime, though I didn't go into that. I would consider the scenario of humans surviving as refugees to be fairly standard sci fi, though I can't think off hand of another entry in any medium that showed humans being as marginalized as they are here.
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/06/animation-defenestration-one-that.html
> And another odd one, an American attempt at a kaiju film, only from 2016, which makes it one of the most recent I've reviewed. As I put in the review, there's not a lot of US kaiju entries, and even fewer that take the genre at all seriously. This one at least found a middle ground.
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/06/featured-creature-kaiju-file-2-one.html
> David N. Brown
> Mesa Arizona

Referring to <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_(film)>
allows me to straighten out who Tim is - he was apparently
incidental and unnamed in your setup - and George.
Where did George come from!

Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movie

<2abf340d-8c04-4a70-992d-b32c6ac880efn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74883&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74883

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 18:05:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 01:05 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 3:53:17 PM UTC-7, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 at 22:46:38 UTC+1, David Brown wrote:
> > Here's my latest movie review and one I had backlogged. First up, Titan AE, an infamous failed animated film. It's usually considered an American attempt at anime, though I didn't go into that. I would consider the scenario of humans surviving as refugees to be fairly standard sci fi, though I can't think off hand of another entry in any medium that showed humans being as marginalized as they are here.
> > https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/06/animation-defenestration-one-that.html
> > And another odd one, an American attempt at a kaiju film, only from 2016, which makes it one of the most recent I've reviewed. As I put in the review, there's not a lot of US kaiju entries, and even fewer that take the genre at all seriously. This one at least found a middle ground.
> > https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/06/featured-creature-kaiju-file-2-one.html
> > David N. Brown
> > Mesa Arizona
> Referring to <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_(film)>
> allows me to straighten out who Tim is - he was apparently
> incidental and unnamed in your setup - and George.
> Where did George come from!
Yes, just realized I mixed up the name of Sudeikis' character for a stretch, was just fixing it. It actually didn't get mentioned in feedback from others who had seen the movie. It just goes to show how easy it is to remember an actor over a character.

Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movie

<nnm1ahp78e5du72fbrhsi2b4liqqo7ef1j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74924&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74924

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 10:25:35 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:25 UTC

On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 14:46:35 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
<davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:

>Here's my latest movie review and one I had backlogged. First up, Titan AE, an infamous failed animated film. It's usually considered an American attempt at anime, though I didn't go into that. I would consider the scenario of humans surviving as refugees to be fairly standard sci fi, though I can't think off hand of another entry in any medium that showed humans being as marginalized as they are here.
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/06/animation-defenestration-one-that.html

I liked /Titan AE/.

For one thing, the trailer was a "grabber" -- and it didn't lie about
the film.

For another thing, it was an interesting version of the "young hero
finds himself" theme. And somebody put some thought into what happened
to humanity after Earth bought it.

Not the greatest film of all time, but definitely entertaining every
time I watch it.

--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movie

<jgc4mqF897tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74925&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74925

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 8 Jun 2022 17:31:06 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:31 UTC

In article <nnm1ahp78e5du72fbrhsi2b4liqqo7ef1j@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 14:46:35 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
><davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Here's my latest movie review and one I had backlogged. First up, Titan
>AE, an infamous failed animated film. It's usually considered an
>American attempt at anime, though I didn't go into that. I would
>consider the scenario of humans surviving as refugees to be fairly
>standard sci fi, though I can't think off hand of another entry in any
>medium that showed humans being as marginalized as they are here.
>>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/06/animation-defenestration-one-that.html
>
>I liked /Titan AE/.
>
>For one thing, the trailer was a "grabber" -- and it didn't lie about
>the film.
>
>For another thing, it was an interesting version of the "young hero
>finds himself" theme. And somebody put some thought into what happened
>to humanity after Earth bought it.
>
>Not the greatest film of all time, but definitely entertaining every
>time I watch it.

I don't recall much about it, except there was a clear point where
it changed story-tracks. Insider articles at the time confirmed
there had been a drastic change in direction during production.

It felt a little like bait & switch to me, given that I thought I
was watching one story and then got another, and I think it pushed
me in the "meh" direction.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movie

<20220608a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74932&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74932

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 18:16:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 18:16 UTC

Ted Nolan wrote:
> Paul S Person wrote:
>>David Brown
>>
>>>Here's my latest movie review and one I had backlogged. First up, Titan
>>AE, an infamous failed animated film. It's usually considered an
>>American attempt at anime, though I didn't go into that. I would
>>consider the scenario of humans surviving as refugees to be fairly
>>standard sci fi, though I can't think off hand of another entry in any
>>medium that showed humans being as marginalized as they are here.
>>>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/06/animation-defenestration-one-th
at.html

>>I liked /Titan AE/.
>>
>>For one thing, the trailer was a "grabber" -- and it didn't lie about
>>the film.
>>
>>For another thing, it was an interesting version of the "young hero
>>finds himself" theme. And somebody put some thought into what happened
>>to humanity after Earth bought it.
>>
>>Not the greatest film of all time, but definitely entertaining every
>>time I watch it.
>>

> I don't recall much about it, except there was a clear point where
> it changed story-tracks. Insider articles at the time confirmed
> there had been a drastic change in direction during production.
>
> It felt a little like bait & switch to me, given that I thought I
> was watching one story and then got another, and I think it pushed
> me in the "meh" direction.

_Titan AE_ shown slightly non-linearly in three minutes and fourty-four
seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qOZgne88Bg

Don't know about you cobber, but the fems who trip the light fantastic
near the start of the short make me forget all about the movie's
perceived weaknesses.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: Movie reviews: Titan AE and Colossal weird kaiju movie

<jgcjagFak9kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74947&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74947

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 8 Jun 2022 21:40:32 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 21:40 UTC

In article <20220608a@crcomp.net>, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>Ted Nolan wrote:
>> Paul S Person wrote:
>>>David Brown

>>>AE, an infamous failed animated film. It's usually considered an
>>>American attempt at anime, though I didn't go into that. I would
>>>consider the scenario of humans surviving as refugees to be fairly
>>>standard sci fi, though I can't think off hand of another entry in any
>>>medium that showed humans being as marginalized as they are here.
>at.html
>>>
>>>I liked /Titan AE/.
>>>
>>>For one thing, the trailer was a "grabber" -- and it didn't lie about
>>>the film.
>>>
>>>For another thing, it was an interesting version of the "young hero
>>>finds himself" theme. And somebody put some thought into what happened
>>>to humanity after Earth bought it.
>>>
>>>Not the greatest film of all time, but definitely entertaining every
>>>time I watch it.
>>>

>> I don't recall much about it, except there was a clear point where
>> it changed story-tracks. Insider articles at the time confirmed
>> there had been a drastic change in direction during production.
>>
>> It felt a little like bait & switch to me, given that I thought I
>> was watching one story and then got another, and I think it pushed
>> me in the "meh" direction.
>

>_Titan AE_ shown slightly non-linearly in three minutes and fourty-four
>seconds:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qOZgne88Bg
>
>Don't know about you cobber, but the fems who trip the light fantastic
>near the start of the short make me forget all about the movie's
>perceived weaknesses.

Well, we didn't see enough to make a real judgement. Like the song though.