If you don't do it, you'll never know what would have happened if you had done it.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

SubjectAuthor
* Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. VingeJames Nicoll
+* Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D.Lynn McGuire
|+* Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. VingeTony Nance
||`- Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D.Lynn McGuire
|`- Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D.James Nicoll
`* Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. VingePaul S Person
 `* Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. VingeJames Nicoll
  +* Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. VingeJames Nicoll
  |`- Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. VingeRobert Woodward
  `* Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D.Chris Buckley
   `- Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D.James Nicoll

1
Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<t7nibm$o75$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74824&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74824

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge
Date: 7 Jun 2022 13:03:50 -0000
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 13:03 UTC

Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/eyes-of-amber

An alien aristocrat's blood feud is ratings gold on Earth but taking
advantage of this raises moral issues.

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<t7oj34$3gd$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74873&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74873

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D.
Vinge
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 17:22:28 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 22:22 UTC

On 6/7/2022 8:03 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge
>
> https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/eyes-of-amber
>
> An alien aristocrat's blood feud is ratings gold on Earth but taking
> advantage of this raises moral issues.

What, there is a Joan D. Vinge book that I have not read ? I thought
that I had read everything that she and her husband had written (I have
his latest book in my SBR).

Lynn

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<408b350b-12c9-47cb-9de1-60d95f0eff38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74879&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74879

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 16:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynanc...@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 23:33 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 6:22:32 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 6/7/2022 8:03 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> > Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge
> >
> > https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/eyes-of-amber
> >
> > An alien aristocrat's blood feud is ratings gold on Earth but taking
> > advantage of this raises moral issues.
>
> What, there is a Joan D. Vinge book that I have not read ? I thought
> that I had read everything that she and her husband had written (I have
> his latest book in my SBR).

Would that latest book be 2011's The Children of the Sky, or have
I missed something he released after that?

Tony

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<t7ot1n$57$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74884&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74884

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Vinge
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 01:12:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 01:12 UTC

In article <t7oj34$3gd$4@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 6/7/2022 8:03 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge
>>
>> https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/eyes-of-amber
>>
>> An alien aristocrat's blood feud is ratings gold on Earth but taking
>> advantage of this raises moral issues.
>
>What, there is a Joan D. Vinge book that I have not read ? I thought
>that I had read everything that she and her husband had written (I have
>his latest book in my SBR).

Ex-husband. She divorced him in 1979 and married their editor, James
Frenkel, in 1980.

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<t7p00c$kpv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74887&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74887

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Vinge
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 21:02:52 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 02:02 UTC

On 6/7/2022 6:33 PM, Tony Nance wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 6:22:32 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 6/7/2022 8:03 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge
>>>
>>> https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/eyes-of-amber
>>>
>>> An alien aristocrat's blood feud is ratings gold on Earth but taking
>>> advantage of this raises moral issues.
>>
>> What, there is a Joan D. Vinge book that I have not read ? I thought
>> that I had read everything that she and her husband had written (I have
>> his latest book in my SBR).
>>

> Would that latest book be 2011's The Children of the Sky, or have
> I missed something he released after that?
>
> Tony

I believe so. I am not home at the moment.

Lynn

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<ukl1ah170srrj1c5jnrvulmnfabijhbqkq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74919&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74919

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 10:04:59 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:04 UTC

On 7 Jun 2022 13:03:50 -0000, jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge
>
>https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/eyes-of-amber
>
>An alien aristocrat's blood feud is ratings gold on Earth but taking
>advantage of this raises moral issues.

Checking shows that I have it on my "Books Wanted" list, but checking
Amazon suggests it isn't available on Kindle.

Pity.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<t7qmic$h14$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74926&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74926

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:34:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:34 UTC

In article <ukl1ah170srrj1c5jnrvulmnfabijhbqkq@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>On 7 Jun 2022 13:03:50 -0000, jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>>Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge
>>
>>https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/eyes-of-amber
>>
>>An alien aristocrat's blood feud is ratings gold on Earth but taking
>>advantage of this raises moral issues.
>
>Checking shows that I have it on my "Books Wanted" list, but checking
>Amazon suggests it isn't available on Kindle.
>
>Pity.

A decent rule of thumb with JDV is that if it was a novel from Tor, it is in
print and if it was any other length and/or from anyone else, it's not.
Snow Queen, for example, was originally Dial and it spent years and years
out of print before Tor acquired it.

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<t7qo1e$5qf$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74930&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74930

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:59:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:59 UTC

In article <t7qmic$h14$1@reader1.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <ukl1ah170srrj1c5jnrvulmnfabijhbqkq@4ax.com>,
>Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>>On 7 Jun 2022 13:03:50 -0000, jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>>
>>>Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge
>>>
>>>https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/eyes-of-amber
>>>
>>>An alien aristocrat's blood feud is ratings gold on Earth but taking
>>>advantage of this raises moral issues.
>>
>>Checking shows that I have it on my "Books Wanted" list, but checking
>>Amazon suggests it isn't available on Kindle.
>>
>>Pity.
>
>A decent rule of thumb with JDV is that if it was a novel from Tor, it is in
>print and if it was any other length and/or from anyone else, it's not.
>Snow Queen, for example, was originally Dial and it spent years and years
>out of print before Tor acquired it.

My experience with local used bookstores suggests it should be easy to
find a physical copy of Eyes of Amber. I understand that this won't
help if the issue is tiny tiny Disco era print.

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<jgcij9F9rnqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74946&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74946

From: ala...@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Vinge
Date: 8 Jun 2022 21:28:09 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 21:28 UTC

On 2022-06-08, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <ukl1ah170srrj1c5jnrvulmnfabijhbqkq@4ax.com>,
> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>>On 7 Jun 2022 13:03:50 -0000, jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>>
>>>Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge
>>>
>>>https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/eyes-of-amber
>>>
>>>An alien aristocrat's blood feud is ratings gold on Earth but taking
>>>advantage of this raises moral issues.
>>
>>Checking shows that I have it on my "Books Wanted" list, but checking
>>Amazon suggests it isn't available on Kindle.
>>
>>Pity.
>
> A decent rule of thumb with JDV is that if it was a novel from Tor, it is in
> print and if it was any other length and/or from anyone else, it's not.
> Snow Queen, for example, was originally Dial and it spent years and years
> out of print before Tor acquired it.

Why was it out of print?

It did quite well. It was in print pretty continuously from 1981 until
2000 as far as I can tell; most of the time by Time-Warner. The
sequel _The Summer Queen_ was in print by Time-Warner from 1991
throughout the 1990s. But then Tor evidently got the rights to
_The Summer Queen_ and reprinted it in 2003. Did Tor really get the rights
to the sequel and not the original? That's highly unusual. Tor
eventually reprinted _The Snow Queen_ in 2015 - were they sitting on
the rights to it all that time? That also seems quite improbable.

Chris

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<t7r9i3$5ia$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74949&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74949

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Vinge
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 22:58:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 22:58 UTC

In article <jgcij9F9rnqU1@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:
>On 2022-06-08, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>> In article <ukl1ah170srrj1c5jnrvulmnfabijhbqkq@4ax.com>,
>> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>>>Checking shows that I have it on my "Books Wanted" list, but checking
>>>Amazon suggests it isn't available on Kindle.
>>>
>>>Pity.
>>
>> A decent rule of thumb with JDV is that if it was a novel from Tor, it is in
>> print and if it was any other length and/or from anyone else, it's not.
>> Snow Queen, for example, was originally Dial and it spent years and years
>> out of print before Tor acquired it.
>
>Why was it out of print?

No idea. Publishing is weird.

Re: Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Eyes of Amber by Joan D. Vinge

<robertaw-FC0A8D.21425308062022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74961&group=rec.arts.sf.written#74961

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 21:42:53 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 04:42 UTC

In article <t7qo1e$5qf$1@reader1.panix.com>,
jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> In article <t7qmic$h14$1@reader1.panix.com>,
> James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> >In article <ukl1ah170srrj1c5jnrvulmnfabijhbqkq@4ax.com>,
> >Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

> >>Checking shows that I have it on my "Books Wanted" list, but checking
> >>Amazon suggests it isn't available on Kindle.
> >>
> >>Pity.
> >
> >A decent rule of thumb with JDV is that if it was a novel from Tor, it is in
> >print and if it was any other length and/or from anyone else, it's not.
> >Snow Queen, for example, was originally Dial and it spent years and years
> >out of print before Tor acquired it.
>
> My experience with local used bookstores suggests it should be easy to
> find a physical copy of Eyes of Amber. I understand that this won't
> help if the issue is tiny tiny Disco era print.

I don't know what you consider tiny print, but my copy of _Eyes of
Amber_ (1st printing of that collection) has 44 lines per page (I did
some checking, a recent David Weber paperback, a very think one, from
Tor had 40 lines, several Baen titles had 31 or 32 lines).

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com