From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Subject: How to make the professions window show basic fishing skill?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 17:22:27 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 21:22 UTC

I tried googling this with no luck. Maybe it just can not be done?

When I hit 'k' to bring up my professions window, it shows under
Fishing --- 'Legion fishing 1/100' If I click the fishing skills
button, it brings up all my fishing skills. How the heck do I put one
of those on the professions window instead of Legion fishing? I am not
leveling Legion fishing. I want the professions window to show my
basic 'Fishing' skill instead as that is what I am currently leveling.

Re: How to make the professions window show basic fishing skill?

<1eppdgt1egj29t4ke126ad6851md32qsej@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=74&group=alt.games.warcraft#74

From: catriona...@totalise.co.uk (Catriona R)
Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 22:54:16 +0100
 by: Catriona R - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 21:54 UTC

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 17:22:27 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I tried googling this with no luck. Maybe it just can not be done?
>
>When I hit 'k' to bring up my professions window, it shows under
>Fishing --- 'Legion fishing 1/100' If I click the fishing skills
>button, it brings up all my fishing skills. How the heck do I put one
>of those on the professions window instead of Legion fishing? I am not
>leveling Legion fishing. I want the professions window to show my
>basic 'Fishing' skill instead as that is what I am currently leveling.

I don't think that's possible, it tends to show the highest level you
have trained, I guess, the whole professions skilling thing is a bit
of a mess since they squished the levels and split each profession out
into expansions.

It's a great question though and made me look for an addon that would
do it (all the alts I've played recently already maxed out in the
older expansions so I never knew it was a problem!); unfortunately, I
think the answer is: impossible, just found this comment from an addon
writer who was asked for much the same as you'd like:

"The way that profession tracking is done via the game API requires
any but the highest xpac trained to be only tracked when the crafting
window is open for the profession. API reports only what is shows up
on the profession tab when called by API. To get previous expansion
ranks you can only run a scan for them in game when the crafting
window is open. This requires either player opening the crafting
window periodically to update addon date, not what many want, or to be
opening and closing a hidden crafting window each and every time a
skill rank up happens, very taxing on CPU. this would introduce a
large amount of lag to the game, and make it unplayable for a range of
users. While it is a desired want by folks, myself included, the
reputation of this addon is based on low impact and maximum info with
that low impact. Being that, sadly it moved off the to look into list
to the not going to work on list."

***

Pity, it would be a really useful feature in an addon if it was
possible!

Re: How to make the professions window show basic fishing skill?

<slrnsdqdrt.23di.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75&group=alt.games.warcraft#75

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 03:33:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 03:33 UTC

In message <56npdghb0c73kd79a4nfhvk3lic5c6qgln@4ax.com> Mike S <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
> I tried googling this with no luck. Maybe it just can not be done?

> When I hit 'k' to bring up my professions window, it shows under
> Fishing --- 'Legion fishing 1/100' If I click the fishing skills
> button, it brings up all my fishing skills. How the heck do I put one
> of those on the professions window instead of Legion fishing? I am not
> leveling Legion fishing. I want the professions window to show my
> basic 'Fishing' skill instead as that is what I am currently leveling.

It is not possible as far as I can tell, you have to go in to the list.

--
'What good is a candle at noonday?' --Sourcery

Re: How to make the professions window show basic fishing skill?

<rv6rdgpe0ftjk2rsbsft54j2gkghnhscem@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76&group=alt.games.warcraft#76

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 06:46:58 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 10:46 UTC

Thank you Lewis and Catriona for replying.

It isn't just fishing. I was only using that as an example. Mining and
Engineering are both showing Cataclysm which is not what I am
currently leveling in those either.

The professions window is useless as far as I can tell.

Re: How to make the professions window show basic fishing skill?

<slrnsds9u7.30ps.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77&group=alt.games.warcraft#77

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 20:38:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 20:38 UTC

In message <rv6rdgpe0ftjk2rsbsft54j2gkghnhscem@4ax.com> Mike S <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Thank you Lewis and Catriona for replying.

> It isn't just fishing. I was only using that as an example. Mining and
> Engineering are both showing Cataclysm which is not what I am
> currently leveling in those either.

Yes, all the skills work the same way.

> The professions window is useless as far as I can tell.

Pretty much, but it's been mostly useless a long time.

--
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Re: How to make the professions window show basic fishing skill?

<efttdgd101g0gclncrc9a6inosd84mrq86@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78&group=alt.games.warcraft#78

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 07:19:39 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 11:19 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 20:38:31 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
<g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

>> The professions window is useless as far as I can tell.
>
>Pretty much, but it's been mostly useless a long time.

I haven't worked on professions in a long time so I hadn't noticed
until now.