"No matter where you go, there you are..." -- Buckaroo Banzai

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

SubjectAuthor
* "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxRobert Carnegie
|+- Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxDimensional Traveler
|+* Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxLynn McGuire
||`- Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxLynn McGuire
|`- Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxDavid Johnston
`* Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxTorbjorn Lindgren
 +* Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxLynn McGuire
 |`* Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxScott Lurndal
 | +* Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxBob Casanova
 | |+- Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxBob Casanova
 | |`* Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxLynn McGuire
 | | `* Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxBob Casanova
 | |  `* Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxThe Horny Goat
 | |   `- Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxPaul S Person
 | `- Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxLynn McGuire
 `- Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard FoxDavid Johnston

1
"Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<t8b3c8$4ek$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75335&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75335

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Subject: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:50:47 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:50 UTC

"Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/

Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.
And this book is obviously planned to be a trilogy, I wonder if it will
make it.

The Federation and the League have been at war for over fifty years.
Over six billion lives lost. Each union has thousands of human worlds.
And then there are the three meter tall Rish lizards and Quarn avian
alien races to complicate thigns with their own agendas.

On the fringes outside the Heart worlds of the Federation, the Fringe
worlds are constantly raided by League pirates for materials and slaves.
But this time the League force destroyed the entire infrastructure of
the Fringe planet, just before winter arrived at the 150,000 person
colony. So it is a race for the colonists to freeze or starve.

The authors have websites at:
http://www.davidweber.net/
and
https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Fox/e/B00HVM4QBY

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,765 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<191f770c-2ee1-46e5-a952-f5c06f0f239en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75345&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75345

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 05:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 12:45 UTC

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 23:50:52 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
> https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/
>
> Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
> the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
> not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.
> And this book is obviously planned to be a trilogy, I wonder if it will
> make it.
>
> The Federation and the League have been at war for over fifty years.
> Over six billion lives lost. Each union has thousands of human worlds.
> And then there are the three meter tall Rish lizards and Quarn avian
> alien races to complicate thigns with their own agendas.
>
> On the fringes outside the Heart worlds of the Federation, the Fringe
> worlds are constantly raided by League pirates for materials and slaves.
> But this time the League force destroyed the entire infrastructure of
> the Fringe planet, just before winter arrived at the 150,000 person
> colony. So it is a race for the colonists to freeze or starve.
>
> The authors have websites at:
> http://www.davidweber.net/
> and
> https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Fox/e/B00HVM4QBY
>
> My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,765 reviews)

Inspired by Star Trek ep "The Conscience of the King"
perhaps?

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<t8ct8s$v52$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75350&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75350

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 08:18:53 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 15:18 UTC

On 6/15/2022 5:45 AM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 23:50:52 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
>> https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/
>>
>> Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
>> the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
>> not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.
>> And this book is obviously planned to be a trilogy, I wonder if it will
>> make it.
>>
>> The Federation and the League have been at war for over fifty years.
>> Over six billion lives lost. Each union has thousands of human worlds.
>> And then there are the three meter tall Rish lizards and Quarn avian
>> alien races to complicate thigns with their own agendas.
>>
>> On the fringes outside the Heart worlds of the Federation, the Fringe
>> worlds are constantly raided by League pirates for materials and slaves.
>> But this time the League force destroyed the entire infrastructure of
>> the Fringe planet, just before winter arrived at the 150,000 person
>> colony. So it is a race for the colonists to freeze or starve.
>>
>> The authors have websites at:
>> http://www.davidweber.net/
>> and
>> https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Fox/e/B00HVM4QBY
>>
>> My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,765 reviews)
>
> Inspired by Star Trek ep "The Conscience of the King"
> perhaps?

You wouldn't ask that if you'd seen the cover art.

dirty old man.

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<t8deud$2q9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75365&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75365

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 15:20:29 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 20:20 UTC

On 6/15/2022 7:45 AM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 23:50:52 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
>> https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/
>>
>> Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
>> the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
>> not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.
>> And this book is obviously planned to be a trilogy, I wonder if it will
>> make it.
>>
>> The Federation and the League have been at war for over fifty years.
>> Over six billion lives lost. Each union has thousands of human worlds.
>> And then there are the three meter tall Rish lizards and Quarn avian
>> alien races to complicate thigns with their own agendas.
>>
>> On the fringes outside the Heart worlds of the Federation, the Fringe
>> worlds are constantly raided by League pirates for materials and slaves.
>> But this time the League force destroyed the entire infrastructure of
>> the Fringe planet, just before winter arrived at the 150,000 person
>> colony. So it is a race for the colonists to freeze or starve.
>>
>> The authors have websites at:
>> http://www.davidweber.net/
>> and
>> https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Fox/e/B00HVM4QBY
>>
>> My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,765 reviews)
>
> Inspired by Star Trek ep "The Conscience of the King"
> perhaps?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394903/

I doubt it.

Lynn

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<t8dgvn$fpa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75370&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75370

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 15:55:19 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 20:55 UTC

On 6/15/2022 3:20 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 6/15/2022 7:45 AM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 23:50:52 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/
>>>
>>> Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
>>> the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
>>> not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.
>>> And this book is obviously planned to be a trilogy, I wonder if it will
>>> make it.
>>>
>>> The Federation and the League have been at war for over fifty years.
>>> Over six billion lives lost. Each union has thousands of human worlds.
>>> And then there are the three meter tall Rish lizards and Quarn avian
>>> alien races to complicate thigns with their own agendas.
>>>
>>> On the fringes outside the Heart worlds of the Federation, the Fringe
>>> worlds are constantly raided by League pirates for materials and slaves.
>>> But this time the League force destroyed the entire infrastructure of
>>> the Fringe planet, just before winter arrived at the 150,000 person
>>> colony. So it is a race for the colonists to freeze or starve.
>>>
>>> The authors have websites at:
>>> http://www.davidweber.net/
>>> and
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Fox/e/B00HVM4QBY
>>>
>>> My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
>>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,765 reviews)
>>
>> Inspired by Star Trek ep "The Conscience of the King"
>> perhaps?
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394903/
>
> I doubt it.
>
> Lynn

If anything, the book was inspired by the excellent Starfire books that
Steve White and David Weber wrote back in the 1990s.
https://www.amazon.com/Crusade-Starfire-David-Weber/dp/0671721119/

Wow, you can still buy new copies of the Starfire books !

Lynn

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<t8prf8$s9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75632&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75632

From: tl...@none.invalid (Torbjorn Lindgren)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:07:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Torbjorn Lindgren - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:07 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>"Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
> https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/
>
>Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
>the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
>not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.

It appears to be book one, not two. It even says (1) in your title.

And it's clearly precedes IFB given that spoiler - it's not MUCH of a
spoiler given the series title! but still:

In "In Fury Born" there's no longer any League AND the Terran Republic
has become the Terran Empire as result of that multi-sided war (not
just the Republic and the League) that this describes the start of.

There's more than enough time, space and material for several
trilogies if they want, we're talking a multi-phase war with 3
combatants, and then a period of "cold-war" from there to even Devries
earliest flash-backs (IIRC getting accepted for marine training).

I suspect it depends on whether they sell well, my recollection of
what I've seen from him is that Richard Fox should be quite capable of
writing this, I assume Weber mostly? contributes with "universe",
tech-bible and possibly outlines though I could be wrong.

Hmm, 1799 ratings since release in 1 June, with an average of 4.7.
Yes, that's *Amazon* inflated rankings but it's still rather good.

Richard Fox's own books also have generally good reviews but WAY less
reviews compared to this (mostly in the low hundreds, with one at 957
reviews but that's one of his earliest, published in June 30, 2015!).

So yeah, I think there's a GOOD chance we'll see more books in this.

>The Federation and the League have been at war for over fifty years.
>Over six billion lives lost. Each union has thousands of human worlds.
>And then there are the three meter tall Rish lizards and Quarn avian
>alien races to complicate thigns with their own agendas.

Yup, and if you've read IFB you know what their agendas are...

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<t8q9hs$9se$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75643&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75643

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 12:08:11 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 17:08 UTC

On 6/20/2022 8:07 AM, Torbjorn Lindgren wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
>> https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/
>>
>> Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
>> the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
>> not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.
>
> It appears to be book one, not two. It even says (1) in your title.
>
> And it's clearly precedes IFB given that spoiler - it's not MUCH of a
> spoiler given the series title! but still:
>

> In "In Fury Born" there's no longer any League AND the Terran Republic
> has become the Terran Empire as result of that multi-sided war (not
> just the Republic and the League) that this describes the start of.
>
> There's more than enough time, space and material for several
> trilogies if they want, we're talking a multi-phase war with 3
> combatants, and then a period of "cold-war" from there to even Devries
> earliest flash-backs (IIRC getting accepted for marine training).
>
> I suspect it depends on whether they sell well, my recollection of
> what I've seen from him is that Richard Fox should be quite capable of
> writing this, I assume Weber mostly? contributes with "universe",
> tech-bible and possibly outlines though I could be wrong.
>
> Hmm, 1799 ratings since release in 1 June, with an average of 4.7.
> Yes, that's *Amazon* inflated rankings but it's still rather good.
>
> Richard Fox's own books also have generally good reviews but WAY less
> reviews compared to this (mostly in the low hundreds, with one at 957
> reviews but that's one of his earliest, published in June 30, 2015!).
>
> So yeah, I think there's a GOOD chance we'll see more books in this.
>

>> The Federation and the League have been at war for over fifty years.
>> Over six billion lives lost. Each union has thousands of human worlds.
>> And then there are the three meter tall Rish lizards and Quarn avian
>> alien races to complicate thigns with their own agendas.
>
> Yup, and if you've read IFB you know what their agendas are...

I read IFB over a decade ago. Maybe two decades ago.

Thanks.
Lynn

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<OklsK.284998$J0r9.30505@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75686&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75686

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:20:14 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:20 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>On 6/20/2022 8:07 AM, Torbjorn Lindgren wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/
>>>
>>> Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
>>> the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
>>> not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.

>>> The Federation and the League have been at war for over fifty years.
>>> Over six billion lives lost. Each union has thousands of human worlds.
>>> And then there are the three meter tall Rish lizards and Quarn avian
>>> alien races to complicate thigns with their own agendas.
>>
>> Yup, and if you've read IFB you know what their agendas are...
>
>I read IFB over a decade ago. Maybe two decades ago.

Did you read the original or the expanded edition?

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<bop3bhlo9tdun2heusl0ohm7hcvq0fchoa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75691&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75691

From: nos...@buzz.off (Bob Casanova)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 08:59:19 -0700
 by: Bob Casanova - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:59 UTC

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:20:14 GMT, the following appeared in
alt.books.david-weber, posted by scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott
Lurndal):

>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Yup, and if you've read IFB you know what their agendas are...
>>
>>I read IFB over a decade ago. Maybe two decades ago.
>
>Did you read the original or the expanded edition?

To answer the first question, it's a prequel, and the first
book (of the "Ascent to Empire" series), not the second

The original was "Path of the Fury". It began with "Book 1
Victims", which is Book 4 (also "Victims") of IFB; all the
"development of Alicia" and "how we got here" was skipped.

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<h594bh5dskdmcpusrr42smc1t15g0cq6da@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75712&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75712

From: nos...@buzz.off (Bob Casanova)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:07:12 -0700
 by: Bob Casanova - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 20:07 UTC

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 08:59:19 -0700, the following appeared
in alt.books.david-weber, posted by Bob Casanova
<nospam@buzz.off>:

>On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:20:14 GMT, the following appeared in
>alt.books.david-weber, posted by scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott
>Lurndal):
>
>>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:

>>>I read IFB over a decade ago. Maybe two decades ago.
>>
>>Did you read the original or the expanded edition?
>>
>To answer the first question, it's a prequel, and the first
>book (of the "Ascent to Empire" series), not the second
>
>The original was "Path of the Fury". It began with "Book 1
>Victims", which is Book 4 (also "Victims") of IFB; all the
>"development of Alicia" and "how we got here" was skipped.

Oops; the second paragraph refers to "In Fury Born", not
"Governor".

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<t8tlc4$d1q$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75713&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75713

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 18:48:20 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 23:48 UTC

On 6/21/2022 10:20 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Yup, and if you've read IFB you know what their agendas are...
>>
>> I read IFB over a decade ago. Maybe two decades ago.
>
> Did you read the original or the expanded edition?

The original. I do not remember if I also purchased and read the
rewritten version.

Lynn

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<t90kil$pkm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75771&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75771

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 21:53:09 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 02:53 UTC

On 6/21/2022 10:59 AM, Bob Casanova wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:20:14 GMT, the following appeared in
> alt.books.david-weber, posted by scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott
> Lurndal):
>
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I read IFB over a decade ago. Maybe two decades ago.
>>
>> Did you read the original or the expanded edition?
>>
> To answer the first question, it's a prequel, and the first
> book (of the "Ascent to Empire" series), not the second
>
> The original was "Path of the Fury". It began with "Book 1
> Victims", which is Book 4 (also "Victims") of IFB; all the
> "development of Alicia" and "how we got here" was skipped.

Thanks for helping me to understand that ! I got confused.

Lynn

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<ukq7bhp2av1omar8idlb5vpn75cfn2q7ij@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75774&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75774

From: nos...@buzz.off (Bob Casanova)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 21:24:23 -0700
 by: Bob Casanova - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 04:24 UTC

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 21:53:09 -0500, the following appeared
in alt.books.david-weber, posted by Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>:

>On 6/21/2022 10:59 AM, Bob Casanova wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:20:14 GMT, the following appeared in
>> alt.books.david-weber, posted by scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott
>> Lurndal):

>>> Did you read the original or the expanded edition?
>>>
>> To answer the first question, it's a prequel, and the first
>> book (of the "Ascent to Empire" series), not the second
>>
>> The original was "Path of the Fury". It began with "Book 1
>> Victims", which is Book 4 (also "Victims") of IFB; all the
>> "development of Alicia" and "how we got here" was skipped.
>
>Thanks for helping me to understand that ! I got confused.

No problem; I read Path first, and was delighted to find the
expanded one.

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<lfubbh11jfs4skbbru0vctjsvd5hc2eimn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75823&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75823

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 10:59:43 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 17:59 UTC

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 21:24:23 -0700, Bob Casanova <nospam@buzz.off>
wrote:

>>> To answer the first question, it's a prequel, and the first
>>> book (of the "Ascent to Empire" series), not the second
>>>
>>> The original was "Path of the Fury". It began with "Book 1
>>> Victims", which is Book 4 (also "Victims") of IFB; all the
>>> "development of Alicia" and "how we got here" was skipped.
>>
>>Thanks for helping me to understand that ! I got confused.
>>
>No problem; I read Path first, and was delighted to find the
>expanded one.

Reading books out of sequence has never really been an issue.

12 year old me read Foundation + Empire before Foundation and Second
Foundation and somehow survived the experience - and with pleasure.

(I mostly wondered when we would ever actually see holo-vision capable
of viewing the image of that massive hand with the "KSP" (in the
Mallow trial)

I was completely scornful with the 'analytical rule' in Second
Foundation since I had already learned by playing on my grandfather's
old Burroughs adding machine the difference between repeating and
non-repeating decimals in fractions by learning which fractions would
put the machine into a repeating loop and which wouldn't. And knew
whatever else happened in life that the machine that would eventually
replace Grandad's would be smaller and lighter and WOULDN'T be
anything like a slide rule (which at 12 I already knew how to use)

Great books but already technologically outdated by 1967.

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<c7cebhlb5m8kohbj1mrsljklcaa95o3r1p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75854&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75854

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 08:59:59 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 15:59 UTC

On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 10:59:43 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>>>Thanks for helping me to understand that ! I got confused.
>>>
>>No problem; I read Path first, and was delighted to find the
>>expanded one.
>>>
>Reading books out of sequence has never really been an issue.
>
>12 year old me read Foundation + Empire before Foundation and Second
>Foundation and somehow survived the experience - and with pleasure.
>
>(I mostly wondered when we would ever actually see holo-vision capable
>of viewing the image of that massive hand with the "KSP" (in the
>Mallow trial)
>
>I was completely scornful with the 'analytical rule' in Second
>Foundation since I had already learned by playing on my grandfather's
>old Burroughs adding machine the difference between repeating and
>non-repeating decimals in fractions by learning which fractions would
>put the machine into a repeating loop and which wouldn't. And knew
>whatever else happened in life that the machine that would eventually
>replace Grandad's would be smaller and lighter and WOULDN'T be
>anything like a slide rule (which at 12 I already knew how to use)
>
>Great books but already technologically outdated by 1967.

In our reality, yes.

But in an alternate reality ...
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<taj1t8$1qe9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76610&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76610

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 23:47:19 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 05:47 UTC

On 2022-06-15 6:45 a.m., Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 23:50:52 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
>> https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/
>>
>> Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
>> the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
>> not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.
>> And this book is obviously planned to be a trilogy, I wonder if it will
>> make it.
>>
>> The Federation and the League have been at war for over fifty years.
>> Over six billion lives lost. Each union has thousands of human worlds.
>> And then there are the three meter tall Rish lizards and Quarn avian
>> alien races to complicate thigns with their own agendas.
>>
>> On the fringes outside the Heart worlds of the Federation, the Fringe
>> worlds are constantly raided by League pirates for materials and slaves.
>> But this time the League force destroyed the entire infrastructure of
>> the Fringe planet, just before winter arrived at the 150,000 person
>> colony. So it is a race for the colonists to freeze or starve.
>>
>> The authors have websites at:
>> http://www.davidweber.net/
>> and
>> https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Fox/e/B00HVM4QBY
>>
>> My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,765 reviews)
>
> Inspired by Star Trek ep "The Conscience of the King"
> perhaps?

Very much not. The protagonist is a newly assigned fleet commander who
actually rescues the few survivors in fairly short order just to
establish that he's a decisive commander who means well. The book is
actually laying the groundwork for him to pull a Julius Caesar on the
Federation, converting it into the empire from In Fury Born.

Re: "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox

<taj208$1qe9$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76611&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76611

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 23:48:56 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 05:48 UTC

On 2022-06-20 7:07 a.m., Torbjorn Lindgren wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Governor (1) (Ascent to Empire)" by David Weber and Richard Fox
>> https://www.amazon.com/Governor-Ascent-Empire-David-Weber/dp/1982126116/
>>
>> Book number two of a two book military science fiction series. I read
>> the well printed and well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022. I am
>> not sure if this precedes Weber's "In Fury Born" or is a sequel to it.
>
> It appears to be book one, not two. It even says (1) in your title.
>
> And it's clearly precedes IFB given that spoiler - it's not MUCH of a
> spoiler given the series title! but still:
>

> In "In Fury Born" there's no longer any League AND the Terran Republic
> has become the Terran Empire as result of that multi-sided war (not
> just the Republic and the League) that this describes the start of.
>
> There's more than enough time, space and material for several
> trilogies if they want, we're talking a multi-phase war with 3
> combatants, and then a period of "cold-war" from there to even Devries
> earliest flash-backs (IIRC getting accepted for marine training).
>
> I suspect it depends on whether they sell well, my recollection of
> what I've seen from him is that Richard Fox should be quite capable of
> writing this, I assume Weber mostly? contributes with "universe",
> tech-bible and possibly outlines though I could be wrong.

Considering that it has none of Weber's crappy space battle writing I
assume Fox will be doing the work.