interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE HEADMASTERS #2

SubjectAuthor
* Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE HEADMASTERS #2Zobovor
+* Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THECodigo Postal
|`* Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THEOptim
| `- Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THEJoseph Bardsley
`- Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THEOptim

1
Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE HEADMASTERS #2

<a348de78-9aa9-4e93-881b-20d8696b52f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7511&group=alt.toys.transformers#7511

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 15:16:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE HEADMASTERS #2
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 23:16 UTC

THE HEADMASTERS #2 was released on June 2, 1987, some three months after issue #1, and had a cover date of September 1987.  This issue was available at the same time as TRANSFORMERS #32.  Issues #33 and #34 ended up being reprints of early UK stories, probably to give Bob Budiansky time to focus on creating this very mini-series.

The issue is entitled "Broken Glass!" and was scripted by Bob Budiansky.  Frank Springer drew the pencil art, while Ian Akin and Brian Garvey inked the artwork.  Pat Brosseau was the letterer, and Nel Yomtov colored the artwork.  The front cover, also illustrated by the above artists, features Scorponok in what looks like a gigantic Sunbow-scale scorpion mode, terrorizing some Nebulan citizens, including what looks like Zarak and maybe Llyra in his clutches.  Various aerial Decepticons, much smaller than Scorponok, soar through the sky (Slugslinger, Triggerhappy, Snapdragon, Apeface).  It's a cool cover.

On planet Nebulos, there are riots and protests in the streets as a result of the recent arrival of the Autobots.  We don't know this right away, but Zarak has arranged for Grax to hire some thugs to incite violence amongst the crowd.  As Galen looks on, he grows concerned about the safety of the citizens, while Zarak, by contrast, seems pleased that the people are voicing their opinions.  When somebody starts throwing punches (one of Grax's men), Galen leaps into the fray to stop it personally.  Duros quickly arrests the ones who incited the brawl.  Llyra rushes to Galen's side, but Galen realizes he needs to pay the Autobots another visit.  In the aftermath, Zarak attempts to convince Llyra that Galen wants the power of the Autobots for himself, but Llyra refuses to believe such nonsense.

In the capital city of Koraja, we see that the bodies of the Autobots who had surrendered to Galen are being stored in a munitions warehouse, along with their five disembodied heads.  (The guns of six other Autobots are also being kept there, which seems needlessly selective.  I know it's so they can get turned into Targetmaster weapons later, but why just the weapons from Kup, Hot Rod, etc. and not the weapons used by the Technobots or the Monsterbots?)

Galen reactivates the head of Fortress Maximus and tells him about the increasing protests.  We learn that Fortress Maximus bartered with Galen and offered himself and a handful of other Autobots in exchange for Galen's promise to let the rest of the Steelhaven crew live on Nebulos peacefully.  Fortress Maximus tells Galen to destroy him and the other deactivated Autobots if that's what it takes to keep the peace, but Galen is determined to find another solution.  When the Council of Peers meets to decide the Autobots' fate, however, the outcries of anger from the visitor's gallery (no doubt employed by Zarak) are quite convincing.  Then, Gort speaks up on Highbrow's behalf, saying that his injury was due to an accident, and that Highbrow was only trying to open a dialogue with him.  Zarak's plan is foiled.

Kup and Hot Rod and the rest of the Steelhaven crew are constructing a city in which to live, when they're visited by Galen and Zarak and some of the other council members.  Hot Rod explains how he's setting up communication equipment to listen for messages from Cybertron, but Vorath secretly scans and identifies the comm frequency for Zarak.  Later, Zarak uses the frequency to contact Cybertron himself.  Back on the Transformer homeworld, Scorponok and his Decepticons are exploring the abandoned Autobot base when they detect Zarak's message coming through the Autobot communication system.  When Scorponok answers, Zarak asks the Decepticons for help in ridding Nebulos of the Autobots.

As with the first issue, there are a number of artwork errors.  A number of the Decepticons in the background are actually Headmaster or Targetmaster partners in Nebulan exo-suits, who shouldn't exist yet by this point in the story.  Also, Cyclonus specifically gets name-checked when the Decepticons first notice Zarak's message (which Scorponok initially dismisses as "unintelligible, not Transformer-made").  He's drawn as Nightstick, but he's colored in shades of purple as if it were Cyclonus.  Of course, we know that Cyclonus can't exist yet, since he was created in the year 2005, and in the story it's only 1987.  (In the UK reprint of this issue, the dialogue was actually changed, and Cyclonus was renamed Krunix.  Solves that problem, I guess!)

A few days later, Scorponok's troops arrive on Nebulos.  (As with the Autobots, the non-aerial Decepticons are riding on top of the flying Decepticon vehicles like Misfire and Battletrap's helicopter component and Flywheels' jet component.  We even get to see Sixshot in jet mode at one point, a character who was potentially available as part of the Decepticon cast, but he never factored into the story significantly.)  Scorponok approaches Zarak and demands to know the location of the Autobots.  Zarak is concerned about a battle so close to the inhabited city, but Scorponok dismisses his worries and heads for Koraja.

Once there, Scorponok demands that the Nebulans turn over the Autobots.  With him are Blot (and only Blot, no other Terrorcons), Slugslinger (drawn like Caliburst), Mindwipe (drawn like Misfire but still colored like Mindwipe), Skullcruncher, Snapdragon, and Cyclonus (again drawn like Nightstick).  Curiously, when the contingent of Decepticons transform, Slugslinger and Cyclonus have vanished.  And Misfire is the odd man out, laying there on the ground in jet mode, surrounded by Decepticons that turn into creatures.  It's very weird.

Galen rushes to see the Autobots about the situation.  Fortress Maximus recognizes that Scorponok would likely still attack, even if Galen surrendered the Autobots to him.  There's no point in doing that. Galen is struggling with the idea that he swore to his people that the Autobots would not be set free. This promise is too important to break.  Galen's men attempt to operate the headless Autobot bodies by remote control, but it's too ungainly to be effective.  Then, Fortress Maximus suggests the idea of an Autobot-Nebulan hybrid form, a way for the Nebulans to control the Autobots directly.  (It's odd that this is Fort Max's idea and not Brainstorm's, as per the cartoon.)

Arcana, the resident doctor of bio-engineering, asks for volunteers for the procedure.  Gort is willing to do it, as is Duros.  Stylor arrives in style and also elects to undergo the procedure.  Arcana is willing to volunteer, and despite Llyra's protests, Galen recognizes that he must do so himself as well.  Unlike the cartoon, in which the Nebulans simply climb into exo-suits (and can get out of them at any time), this appears to be a much more permanent procedure.  The narration specifically mentions entire joints being replaced with mechanical parts, and modifications made to their very bone structure.

When the procedure is complete, the five Nebulans, now in bio-engineered bodies, have the ability to fold up and transform into something resembling the heads of the original Autobots.  It's important to point out this distinction—Fortress Maximus' original head is still intact, sitting on a shelf, and can maintain radio contact with Galen, but it's Galen calling the shots now.  This is very different than the way the Headmasters were treated in the cartoon, which was more like a cooperative effort between the original Autobots and the Nebulan co-pilots who resided inside them.

There's another odd artwork error—when Galen transforms, he actually turns into the head of Cerebros, not the head of Fortress Maximus.  Fortress Maximus is wearing the Cerebros head in several subsequent panels.  (Cerebros will be introduced in the story, eventually but not quite yet.  It's clear the existence of Cerebros as part of the Fortress Maximus character design sheet probably confused the artists!)

Scorponok believes the Autobots have shown up to surrender, but instead they transform to vehicle mode and attack.  (In lieu of a true vehicle form, Fortress Maximus changes into his battle station mode.)  Curiously, even though it's the Nebulans who are in control of the Autobots, they're still referring to each other using the Autobot names. They have truly assumed the identities of Highbrow, Hardhead, etc.  (Also, as a point of interest, the Headmasters still use Transformer-style word balloons when they're combined with the Autobot bodies—rectangular speech bubbles with "sparks" coming out of the corners—while they use standard oval-shaped human word balloons when they detach from the Autobots and remove their helmets.)

Strangely, the Headmasters display exceptional battle prowess, despite none of the Nebulans having any combat experience against the Decepticons.  It was one thing in the cartoon, when Headmasters and Targetmasters showed an increase in capability due to the two partners working together, but the Marvel Comics versions of the Headmasters are just Nebulans wearing robot bodies.  So, I guess it's because these guys are fresh, and haven't been worn down by millions of years' worth of fighting?  Or is it just because they're organic beings and are passionately fighting to defend the people and the city and the planet they love?  (Arcana later says the Autobots were helping control the bodies remotely during the battle, freeing the Nebulans to observe and develop strategy.)  In any case, Scorponok recognizes that they must have some kind of secret weapon, and wisely retreats.

In the aftermath of the battle, the citizens are terrified as the Autobots enter the city limits.  The Headmasters transform and reveal themselves to assuage the concerns of the citizens, and they are lauded as heroes.  Only Llyra seems to be deeply upset, as Galen is now an agent of war instead of a bringer of peace.  "Savor your victory... it's the only one you've won today!" she swears as she storms off, as our story ends.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE HEADMASTERS #2

<8fd31793-586b-40ae-80e0-e53be7b969a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7522&group=alt.toys.transformers#7522

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 19:03:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE
HEADMASTERS #2
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 03:03 UTC

On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:16:05 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> [...]
>
> Budiansky's approach to the Headmasters is just so weird to me. The idea that the heads of the original Autobots are just sitting around while the Nebulans transform into *copies* of the original heads just seems needlessly convoluted to me. I don't see what storytelling advantage was gained by doing it this way, and not just modifying the original heads. The fact that the heads of the Autobots are maintaining radio contact with their bodies just seems silly.
>
> Issue #3 of HEADMASTERS wasn't ready until about two months after this issue went to print. So, next month we'll look at TRANSFORMERS #33, the first of two filler issues reprinting material from the UK comic book—and it's a crazy story!
>

> Zob (has a toothless cat who is constantly hungry)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE HEADMASTERS #2

<725f42ec-92cd-471e-abaf-67ce3d24574cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7532&group=alt.toys.transformers#7532

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 07:35:29 -0800 (PST)
HEADMASTERS #2
From: laverion...@gmail.com (Optim)
 by: Optim - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:35 UTC

On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:16:05 p.m. UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:

> Strangely, the Headmasters display exceptional battle prowess, despite none of the Nebulans having any combat experience against the Decepticons. It was one thing in the cartoon, when Headmasters and Targetmasters showed an increase in capability due to the two partners working together, but the Marvel Comics versions of the Headmasters are just Nebulans wearing robot bodies. So, I guess it's because these guys are fresh, and haven't been worn down by millions of years' worth of fighting? Or is it just because they're organic beings and are passionately fighting to defend the people and the city and the planet they love? (Arcana later says the Autobots were helping control the bodies remotely during the battle, freeing the Nebulans to observe and develop strategy.) In any case, Scorponok recognizes that they must have some kind of secret weapon, and wisely retreats.

The only thing I can think of to make the Headmaster concept work in battle is that they are the reverse of the Targetmasters. In the alternate modes, the Nebulan Targetmaster does the shooting while the robot drives/pilots; while the Nebulan Headmaster does the driving/piloting while the robot does the shooting (in the case of the Decepticon Headmaster animals: the robot does the snapping/biting/clawing).

> In the aftermath of the battle, the citizens are terrified as the Autobots enter the city limits. The Headmasters transform and reveal themselves to assuage the concerns of the citizens, and they are lauded as heroes. Only Llyra seems to be deeply upset, as Galen is now an agent of war instead of a bringer of peace. "Savor your victory... it's the only one you've won today!" she swears as she storms off, as our story ends.

Llyra's reasoning is faulty. Galen was clearly acting in self-defense. The Decepticons were attacking without provocation.

> Budiansky's approach to the Headmasters is just so weird to me. The idea that the heads of the original Autobots are just sitting around while the Nebulans transform into *copies* of the original heads just seems needlessly convoluted to me. I don't see what storytelling advantage was gained by doing it this way, and not just modifying the original heads. The fact that the heads of the Autobots are maintaining radio contact with their bodies just seems silly.

I also agree with this. That's why I didn't like the Headmaster miniseries. Budiansky did a poor job selling the Headmaster concept and I am a Budiansky fan.

Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE HEADMASTERS #2

<0e6bf4a3-3ca9-4744-adf3-536adb08f84cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7533&group=alt.toys.transformers#7533

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 07:41:27 -0800 (PST)
HEADMASTERS #2
From: laverion...@gmail.com (Optim)
 by: Optim - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:41 UTC

On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 10:03:08 p.m. UTC-5, Codigo Postal wrote:

> Of all the memorable quotes to come from the Marvel G1 run, it's Scorponok's admonition to Zarak that has stuck with me.
>
> "Yes, perhaps I will share my power with you—it is in my best interest—but beware—when possessed of such power all other concerns fade. Compassion. Mercy. Perhaps even daughters."
>
> Bravo, Bob Budiansky.

I loved that quote. It was right up there with Fortress Maximus's farewell speech to his home planet of Cybertron as he is abandoning it forever.

I do have a problem though with that quote. With the way the Lord Zarak character was written, there was no way he and his Nebulans would have joined the Decepticons but I guess we'll talk about it once Headmasters #3 is reviewed.

Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE HEADMASTERS #2

<bb4a44f2-581b-4c71-88ae-215734b66357n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7535&group=alt.toys.transformers#7535

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 19:39:40 -0800 (PST)
HEADMASTERS #2
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 03:39 UTC

On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 7:41:28 AM UTC-8, Optim wrote:
> On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 10:03:08 p.m. UTC-5, Codigo Postal wrote:
>

> > Of all the memorable quotes to come from the Marvel G1 run, it's Scorponok's admonition to Zarak that has stuck with me.
> >
> > "Yes, perhaps I will share my power with you—it is in my best interest—but beware—when possessed of such power all other concerns fade. Compassion. Mercy. Perhaps even daughters."
> >
> > Bravo, Bob Budiansky.
> I loved that quote. It was right up there with Fortress Maximus's farewell speech to his home planet of Cybertron as he is abandoning it forever.
>
> I do have a problem though with that quote. With the way the Lord Zarak character was written, there was no way he and his Nebulans would have joined the Decepticons but I guess we'll talk about it once Headmasters #3 is reviewed.

Great analysis and discussion, Zob. Thank you for this thoughtful take on some elements of the mythos that Budainsky excelled at. (Zarak was, indeed, humanized thanks to him).

JB