From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Possible Easter Egg in _Second Foundation_
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:29:55 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 17:29 UTC

I'm reading the Foundation "trilogy" for the umpty-umpth time,
and noticed what might be an Easter egg in Chapter 16 of
_Second Foundation_, "The Beginning of War".

The Good Doctor starts off with a paragraph on Galactic
time-keeping (which I quoted here a week or two back). He
then segues into the beginning of the war between Kalgan
and the Foundation, stating that no matter which year you
consider it, such as 11692 GE or 56 FC, it started on
day 185 of that year.

It just so happens that the 185th day of a 365-day year
(the only kind that Galactic society had) is July 4.

I don't know why I never noticed this before -- probably
because I never read that chapter on July 4.

Up the rebels!
--
Michael F. Stemper
Galatians 3:28

Re: Possible Easter Egg in _Second Foundation_

<jigsajF386gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76294&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76294

From: ala...@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Possible Easter Egg in _Second Foundation_
Date: 4 Jul 2022 19:11:15 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 19:11 UTC

On 2022-07-04, Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm reading the Foundation "trilogy" for the umpty-umpth time,
> and noticed what might be an Easter egg in Chapter 16 of
> _Second Foundation_, "The Beginning of War".
>
> The Good Doctor starts off with a paragraph on Galactic
> time-keeping (which I quoted here a week or two back). He
> then segues into the beginning of the war between Kalgan
> and the Foundation, stating that no matter which year you
> consider it, such as 11692 GE or 56 FC, it started on
> day 185 of that year.
>
> It just so happens that the 185th day of a 365-day year
> (the only kind that Galactic society had) is July 4.
>
> I don't know why I never noticed this before -- probably
> because I never read that chapter on July 4.
>

> Up the rebels!

Thanks! I never noticed.

Chris